Laker Film Room (Pg. 91: Pete Signed By Lakers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't see what we have that entices Clev. (i.e. player who can contribute NOW).

Would they take Deng/Nance/Houston 1st?

I think it'd have to be a 3-way deal, which would get tricky.

I think Millsap -> CLE, Love -> LAL, LAL package -> ATL might work for all sides, but I don't know if any LAL package is enough for ATL to give up Millsap that we wouldn't balk at.

Milsap is a FA this summer

player option right? sign and trade or something

maybe, can you still do sign and trades?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't see what we have that entices Clev. (i.e. player who can contribute NOW).

I think Millsap -> CLE, Love -> LAL, LAL package -> ATL might work for all sides, but I don't know if any LAL package is enough for ATL to give up Millsap that we wouldn't balk at.

duno but absent that, what package would you be willing to trade for kevin love, and what do you think atlanta would ask from us to give up millsap?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

duno but absent that, what package would you be willing to trade for kevin love, and what do you think atlanta would ask from us to give up millsap?

I can see a package of Clarkson, Randle, Brewer and the #28 for Milsap....I would not do it because I am really not a fan of Love....but I think those pieces would be close....and obviously it would require Cleveland to "need" to make a change....like blowing up in 2nd Round this year. Also to complicate it....KLove is on much better contract than Milsap would be.....
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject:

Listened to the pod on the way home. Was one of the more interesting ones for sure.

I don't know firsthand about the 90s, but I wonder if it's really a blueprint for contention. How replicable was what West did in 1996? Drafting Kobe is kind of orthogonal to the whole 1990s plan (I realize they only got the 13th pick for Vlade to clear up space for Shaq, but the point remains that getting Kobe wasn't really dependent on the whole 90s system). And signing Shaq -- well everyone agrees attracting a generational player in FA is a good thing, but surely there are other ways to do it than necessarily getting a Ceballos stop gap a la Love. For example, building around Russell, Ingram, and (hopefully) Ball/Fultz could create a team enticing enough to attract an Anthony Davis type, even if we don't jumpstart them to 50 wins with a Ceballos type.

Speaking of Love, I actually think that's interesting if you can package Randle & Clarkson (+ Hou 1st) around him? The 3-way trade with Millsap kind of makes sense... not sure how S&T works though. I'm not a huge Love fan but I think his work in Minnesota was underrated -- between him and Rubio, a bad Timberwolves team should've made the playoffs in 13-14 if they weren't extraordinarily bad in clutch (their point differential was quite good). Not sure if a trade can be worked out.

I disagree with Darius that you should look to move Nance before Randle. I've said it before, but Nance has a very clearly defined role on a championship team. He's not going to ever get paid a huge amount (and in fact, with his injury problems, you can probably snag him for cheap by extending him early), and he does all the little things that a legit championship player does. He might only ever be the first big off the bench, whereas Randle's ceiling is a legit championship starter... but it's an open question if Randle gets there. The salary is really a big thing -- even before it was clear he's terrible, I argued Okafor is an undesirable player because if he performs well (i.e. scores a lot and efficiently), he'll inevitably be overpaid by some team that overvalues scoring at the expense of everything else. When you start to see roster construction as mostly a matter of collecting undervalued parts (relative to their salary) then it's clear why a stat stuffer like Randle who doesn't really do the little things might be hard to slot in a championship team unless you're going over the cap to acquire him.

Finally, when I think of guys the Lakers should try to acquire, I don't really think of placeholders like Love. I remember reading about a rumor about Middleton and Randle back when Randle was a rookie and Middleton hadn't really broken out... that's the kind of deal I'd be ok with -- consolidating guys I don't really see as championship pieces for legit 2-way players, even if in total we lose some talent. I'm not really sure who else is an option though -- KCP? I'm mostly ok rolling with the main core because I do think Randle's improvements across the board this season warrant him another summer to show he can dedicate himself to defense. I have my doubts but I would be interested in seeing what he shows. Clarkson is the main guy I'm done with, personally.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject:

Perhaps it's because I am on a tablet device, but after I click on the podcast link, the almighty Ballers website says the page you are looking for is not found
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

Do it Mitch! wrote:
Perhaps it's because I am on a tablet device, but after I click on the podcast link, the almighty Ballers website says the page you are looking for is not found

Thank you for letting me know. Try this link instead.

link
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

Tox...my point was about how West handled roster construction leading up to the '96 offseason. That's what I think is replicable. If this team can become a young, fun 1st/2nd round caliber team, I think we're gonna be VERY attractive to the best players in the NBA.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Tox...my point was about how West handled roster construction leading up to the '96 offseason. That's what I think is replicable. If this team can become a young, fun 1st/2nd round caliber team, I think we're gonna be VERY attractive to the best players in the NBA.

Mm that much I agree with. Especially when you contrast it to the Lakers' general plan of just trying to shortcut the process and sign a max every FA (though I'd take PG13 gladly if he came).

I think I'm just not a fan of the idea of trying to get a Ceballos type guy as a general rule of thumb. Like, let's say we trade for Love. You noted that his contract ends in 2019 and framed that as a good thing, since it's right around when MozDeng's contracts end so we can make a real push in free agency. But what about the 2019-2020 season? If he just leaves, that fun team suddenly gets worse (though you'd hope Ingram/ Russell/ maybe Fultz or Ball can cover some of his production as they're older). Are they perceived to be as fun and attractive afterwards? We won't be able to sign anyone in 2019 even if Love comes off the books due to extensions + MozDeng, so we'll have to wait a full year sans Love to try to attract someone.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

I think this is the model Mitch was going for.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I can see a package of Clarkson, Randle, Brewer and the #28 for Milsap....I would not do it because I am really not a fan of Love....but I think those pieces would be close....and obviously it would require Cleveland to "need" to make a change....like blowing up in 2nd Round this year. Also to complicate it....KLove is on much better contract than Milsap would be.....

We should package Randle for Green.

Green is under utilized and not happy with KD. Randle is bigger and stronger. He is also a better rebounder and have more upside. He is raw. But playing in a champion team will help him grow.

Green's maturity and defense is what the young Lakers needed. His playmaking skill will also be valuable.

Zubac/Black
Green/Nance
Ingram/Brewer
Clarkson/Nwaba
Russell/Ennis
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We should package Randle for Green.

Green is under utilized and not happy with KD. Randle is bigger and stronger. He is also a better rebounder and have more upside. He is raw. But playing in a champion team will help him grow.

Green's maturity and defense is what the young Lakers needed. His playmaking skill will also be valuable.

Zubac/Black
Green/Nance
Ingram/Brewer
Clarkson/Nwaba
Russell/Ennis

GS didn't build the best defense in the league by being stupid.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

👍👍
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

GT, listend to your pod which was great and wanted to chime in about something. LA made an attractive situation for Shaq to join through free agency, but O'Neal was a 24 year old unrestricted free agent who had time to grow with a young team. That's not really possible with today's star contract life cycle.

Stars generally come in as high draft picks at 19/20 years of age. They play 4-years under a rookie scale and take the max 4+1 extension every time over a 1-year restricted deal (the Bulls even forced Butler to go 5-year no option with the max QO). That leads to hitting unrestricted free agency at 27 years old at the absolute earliest (with 28 being a norm). The following contract is where a player is planting their flag to make a title push as 'the man'. Now the league has created the Designated Player Exception which creates a prohibitive financial advantage for the home team keeping an All-NBA type once he truly hits unrestricted free agency. The Shaq free agent signing isn't possible now. You have to be a ready made contender.

IMO, getting a star player from another team can only happen in one of three ways, (1) the massive overpay in trade which only makes sense if it's the move that makes you an immediate contender (the Love-rule), (2) the quasi bargain in trade because the home team doesn't want to pay the DPE (the Boogie-rule), and (3) the flight risk with extenuating circumstances situation (the George-rule).

Paul has openly put out there he wants LA or a contender and Indy doesn't know if they're going to have the DPE advantage or not before he hits UFA in '18. At the same time, there may be multiple teams out there with assets to offer. Their best case is convincing Boston to overpay under the premise it puts them over the top. While that's not Ainge's style, it also impacts what they might ask LA for. It stands to reason that offering George the full DPE means they won't have the $ to be a contender for years, so a trade is probably in their best interest. The question is of course what kind offer does make sense for LA. If you take Ingram and Russell off the table and assume the pick is lost, there's not a lot to talk about. The remaining pieces probably don't move the needle and Bird rides it out to '18.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

as soon as I seen title, I knew which play it would be! That was nice....
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Thanks GT.

On that play, there's also a 8th attack, with Larry Nance free at the corner.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

New Laker Film Room Podcast: Anti-Tank Missiles

http://www.almightyballer.com/ep-17-anti-tank-missiles/
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Last Laker Film Room Live of the season tonight. Hope some of you guys can join us, starting at 7:30pm.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

Just crossed 1,000,000 views on YouTube, which was a goal for the season. Just in time. Thanks for all of the support, guys.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Just crossed 1,000,000 views on YouTube, which was a goal for the season. Just in time. Thanks for all of the support, guys.

Well deserved. Congrats, GT!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

That's amazing. Great job.

What's the PPP on each view though?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Yay! Sorry I missed the last LFR Live broadcast but I look forward to next season
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Look at this subtle move of putting the ball on the ground, unassumingly - opening up a driving lane while lulling the defender to sleep. Allows him to drive not off of a long push-out, keeping his legs under him.
I liked what LFRTommy said the other game, about how a quick/unexpectedly timed dribble can open up a drive angle. That's what happened there.
Ingram has the little, intricate, natural moves. It's like watching a massive, slow footed combo guard

Also, nice detail of how on his shooting stroke, he's releasing too early, while his elbow is bent ---- it really makes sense, that that's not when you wanna be releasing.lol. If he would release later, I think that's too high of an arc that would be on his ball actually. Something is really unnatural with his stroke.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Your boy to with the nice article. You want to link it?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

#shameless #selfpromotion

http://lakerfilmroom.com/2016-2017-in-review-a-tale-of-two-teams/

etc etc

tbh I'm pretty sure LG has read 90% of this article just based on my posts
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 13 of 93
Jump to: