Kevin Pelton's sophomore rankings: D'Angelo and Larry Nance Jr in top-10
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Kevin Pelton's sophomore rankings: D'Angelo and Larry Nance Jr in top-10

Kevin Pelton is doing his annual rankings of the rookies, sophomores, juniors etc based on future potential.

1) KAT
2) Porzi
3) Jokic
4) Turner
5) D'Angello

Booker is at 8, Larry Nance is at 8. Okafor and Mudiay are out of top-10.

Prior to the draft, he had KAT as 1 and D'lo & Porzi tied at 2. He was also high on Turner. Don't remember the projection on Jokic. He was quite low on Okafor and Mudiay prior to the draft.

So, Lakers draft looking very good. It will be perfect if Russel can jump into the top-3.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kevin Pelton's sophomore rankings: D'Angelo and Larry Nance Jr in top-10

petergr wrote:
Kevin Pelton is doing his annual rankings of the rookies, sophomores, juniors etc based on future potential.

1) KAT
2) Porzi
3) Jokic
4) Turner
5) D'Angello

Prior to the draft, he had KAT as 1 and D'lo & Porzi tied at 2. He was also high on Turner. Don't remember the projection on Jokic. He was quite low on Okafor and Mudiay prior to the draft.

So, Lakers draft looking very good. It will be perfect if Russel can jump into the top-3.

Link to article please?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I have always been a fan of Kevin Pelton since his basket ball prospectus days. He is by far the best among all writers at draft projections.
Some of his really successful hits in projecting really high upside compared to their draft position were :
1) Paul Milsap
2) Dramond Green
3) Jay Crawder
4) Steph Curry
5) Ty Lawson
6) Clint Capella

He also projected quite a few busts very well:
1) Evan Turner
2) Wesley Johnson
3) Acie Law
4) Rodney Stuckey
5) Austin Rivers
6) Anthony Benett

He had some misses like Nick Calathes, Adam Morisson...but has been stellar over the years.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Kevin Pelton's sophomore rankings: D'Angelo and Larry Nance Jr in top-10

Mike@LG wrote:
petergr wrote:

1) KAT
2) Porzi
3) Jokic
4) Turner
5) D'Angello

Link to article please?

Its an ESPN Insider article
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/18491855/kristaps-porzingis-karl-anthony-towns-best-nba-sophomore-chad-ford-kevin-pelton-debate
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Kevin Pelton's sophomore rankings: D'Angelo and Larry Nance Jr in top-10

petergr wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
petergr wrote:

1) KAT
2) Porzi
3) Jokic
4) Turner
5) D'Angello

Link to article please?

Its an ESPN Insider article
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/18491855/kristaps-porzingis-karl-anthony-towns-best-nba-sophomore-chad-ford-kevin-pelton-debate

Thank you.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. I see DLo ending up 2nd or 3rd eventually.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/warp-ranking-for-2013-draft-by-kevin-pelton.240191/

This thread has some discussion on how his past projections have fared over the years.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Pelton: D'Angelo Russell rounds out my top five. The No. 2 overall pick has made incremental progress in his second season, improving his assist rate from 4.2 per 36 minutes to 6.0, increasing his usage rate to 27.4 percent of the Lakers' plays (up from 24.2 percent) while maintaining his efficiency and improving on the defensive glass.

While Russell still has a long way to go in his development as a playmaker and defender, a look around the league shows the opposite story at point guard as at center: Russell is perhaps the league's best full-time point guard younger than age 25, which augurs well for his long-term development.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Pelton has always been a pretty logical guy for the most part IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Nice.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

The chad ford guy in the same article....is almost commical

PELTON: D'Angelo Russell rounds out my top five. The No. 2 overall pick has made incremental progress in his second season, improving his assist rate from 4.2 per 36 minutes to 6.0, increasing his usage rate to 27.4 percent of the Lakers' plays (up from 24.2 percent) while maintaining his efficiency and improving on the defensive glass.

While Russell still has a long way to go in his development as a playmaker and defender, a look around the league shows the opposite story at point guard as at center: Russell is perhaps the league's best full-time point guard younger than age 25, which augurs well for his long-term development.

You've consistently favored Emmanuel Mudiay over Russell. Is that still the case?

FORD: No. Mudiay is still struggling and Russell is looking better. But neither is at No. 5 for me.

I know the advanced stats have not been kind to Devin Booker, but I still think he should make the top five on potential. He's a 20-year-old who is averaging better than 20 PPG, has the potential to be an elite shooter and shows an overall great feel for the game.

Booker is averaging 27.6 PPG in January and shooting 50 percent from 3. I know it's a small sample size and he has been streaky. I also know he hasn't brought a lot else to the table statistically. But I still see major upside from him and would bet he starts to figure out more ways to contribute down the road.

PELTON: I don't totally disagree on Booker. I think there's a gap between Booker and Russell, but I still have him sixth. Although Booker's defensive stats are unlikely to improve much, I do think he'll become a much more efficient offensive player than he is now when put in a more appropriate role alongside better shot creators.

Booker and former Kentucky teammate Trey Lyles are the two other one-and-done prospects currently performing around replacement level or better. The others in the group, including Mudiay and No. 3 pick Jahlil Okafor, are so far from replacement level right now that I'm not convinced they're going to get there.

As a result, I'm rounding out my top 10 with three lower-upside prospects who are contributing far more to their teams right now.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

His Randle takes... I understand at the time this summer being lower on him given his overall season, but he would straight up laugh whenever people asked about him on podcasts this summer. Had him as a bust. He went overboard with Randle, but I generally like his takes.

Last edited by justsomelakerfan on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

FORD: Mudiay continues to be awful and I think it's only a matter of time before Jamal Murray replaces him. But there are still enough glimpses of a good player there that I can't write Mudiay off yet.

As for Okafor, I wonder how all of us got it so wrong on him during most of the year before the draft. There was a time early in the draft process when he was the consensus No. 1 guy. Now it's clear Okafor isn't as good as NBA scouts and I thought he was in November and December of his freshman season at Duke.

But I don't think Okafor is as bad as he looks many nights in Philly either. He needs a change of scenery badly and all indications are that the Sixers are going to give it to him -- probably in the next month. On a different team in a different situation, I think Okafor can be a quality starter in the NBA someday.

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

His Randle takes... I understand at the time this summer being lower on him given his overall season, but he would straight up laugh whenever people asked about him on podcasts this summer. Had him as a bust. He went overboard with Randle, but I generally like his takes.

Another one of his hot takes lol

https://twitter.com/kpelton/status/749652385056714752
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

He was down on Randle but as long as i followed him...his seems too nice a guy to completely write off any young player's development. It will be interesting to see how he projects Randle among the 3rd year players. He did not have him in the top-10 last year.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

He was down on Randle but as long as i followed him...his seems too nice a guy to completely write off any young player's development. It will be interesting to see how he projects Randle among the 3rd year players. He did not have him in the top-10 last year.

I remember earlier in the season he was starting to admit that Randle changed his game in ways he didn't anticipate he could. Props for owning up to it. Pelton has fair takes for the most part.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Quote:
Pelton: D'Angelo Russell rounds out my top five. The No. 2 overall pick has made incremental progress in his second season, improving his assist rate from 4.2 per 36 minutes to 6.0, increasing his usage rate to 27.4 percent of the Lakers' plays (up from 24.2 percent) while maintaining his efficiency and improving on the defensive glass.

I cant see through all of the filters to see what he is really saying. Is he not better than some of the 25 year olds who aren't full time point guards yet? Or was Pelton just emphasizing that Russell is a young starting PG?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

I cant see through all of the filters to see what he is really saying. Is he not better than some of the 25 year olds who aren't full time point guards yet? Or was Pelton just emphasizing that Russell is a young starting PG?

He's saying Russell is the best under 25 pg who plays significant minutes. BTW, Russell is the only non big in his top 5, meaning he's probably more valuable than some above him given the scarcity of top guards vs bigs.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

He's saying Russell is the best under 25 pg who plays significant minutes. BTW, Russell is the only non big in his top 5, meaning he's probably more valuable than some above him given the scarcity of top guards vs bigs.

Well I mean was the "significant minutes" filter a way of leaving non starters out of the comparison? Off the top of my head I can only think of a few starting point guards under 25. Mudiay, Brogdon, whoever Philly has, anyone else? I wasnt sure if he is calling him the best <25 pg period or if he thinks some <25 pg's who don't play as much are better and he filtered them out.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

I think guards are much more impactful but I don't agree that there are more quality bigs than guards.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Hope it works out that way or close to it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to filter this, and Pelton's term "full time" is hard to pin, but here it is: link

In terms of TS%, I never would have expected him to be that close with Payton.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

I think guards are much more impactful but I don't agree that there are more quality bigs than guards.

I think he meant among U-25 players. There haven't been many good guards coming out in recent years.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
There doesn't seem to be any easy way to filter this, and Pelton's term "full time" is hard to pin, but here it is: link

you can filter by Games Started (GS) and put it > 30

that outputs the following: http://tinyurl.com/jjjw32p

I think we know that Beal, Lavine, and Booker aren't playing PG (Wall, Rubio, Bledsoe, respectively) so that just leaves Kyrie, Schroder, and Mudiay as the group he's being compared to. I think you can only really say that he's better than Mudiay of that group.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

I cant see through all of the filters toe see what he is really saying. Is he not better than some of the 25 year olds who aren't full time point guards yet? Or was Pelton just emphasizing that Russell is a young starting PG?

I think the bar for a quality big has spiked up in the last couple of years.
Bigs like KAT, Porzi, Anthony Davis, Embiid, Jokic, Turner...have guard like offensive skills with potential for elite/good defense.

Traditional one dimensional big men like have become way too many and redundant. Its easy to find them for cheap:
Offense only: Al Jefferson, current day version of Pau, Okafor, Monroe
Deffense only: Hibbert, Asik

That's the reason why contracts of so called good centers like Asik, Monroe, Plumlee etc have become immovable. Noah, Mozgov will be there too.

There are plenty of teams with 2/3 starting caliber centers that cannot be on the floor at the same time...Pelicans, Sixers, Blazers, Bucks are all in this category. They are having a really hard time in moving one of the their big men.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: