Pointing Fingers...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Pointing Fingers...

Hi, I have some general questions regarding the Lakers for you hardcore analysts....

I believe its time to point some fingers at who or what the problem is.

1. What is wrong with the Lakers? I don't really expect much because they do still have lots of holes in their roster. Experience and continued growth will remedy some of the problems but it seems like it goes deeper than that.

2. Why is their defense so bad? Is it just a lack of effort? Or are the players just not smart enough to grasp the concepts? Is it a physical ability issue? (too old, too young, too slow, too short, too skinny, etc)

Pointing some fingers:

3. Brandon Ingram - so far, he can't shoot. He seems to be improving slightly lately but I worry when a player shoots an airball when he is wide open. Why do some rookies have a hard time shooting when they get to the NBA? The rim is still 10 feet high just like in college. I'm talking about wide open shots... Otherwise BI is doing fine. Seems like he plays hard and smart.

4. Jordan Clarkson - makes some really dumb offensive plays once in a while and I don't know if he is improving any on defense. We seem a little forgiving when his shots are falling. He's still a ball hog. I feel his effort is high at least on offense. Not sure about on Defense.

5. Julius Randle - Is he one of the guys the press is saying is not putting out 100% effort? Seems to do well on the boards and in bringing the ball up and distributing. But when it comes to shooting the ball, he kind of reminds me of Kwame Brown in that he is afraid to shoot anything but a lay up and even his layups seem to have been shot by hands of stone.

6. Mozgov - What's his issue? I thought he was playing hard yesterday as evidenced by him running the court on the fast break a couple times. But his minutes were really cut short. Is he doing a good job this year. He can't seem to finish the easy short shots very consistently. But he does get hot occasionally from the perimeter. But his verticality ploys don't seem to do much. Seems like a more sturdier version of Hibbert. I know it was only one game but look at Zubac, he's about the same size, he does that verticality stuff and is not as strong but Zubac seems to produce (points, rebounds, blocks) . Mozgov doesn't seem to produce much. Is he one of the guys not hustling or playing smart?

7. Russell - So inconsistent. Is he becoming a slacker? Seems like Mudiay outplayed him last night. Hopefully Russell has stopped all his "I'm the best in the draft" and "I've got ice in my veins" talk.

8. Deng - Inconsistent - but at least is the effort there?

9. Lou Williams - great on offense but does he even try on defense? Is his poor defense just a physical thing or is it lack of effort?

The guys I count on for good efforts:

10. Tarik Black - works hard all the time. How's his defense? I know he's too small to be a rim protector. Still needs work on his offense, but seems to be improving.

11. TRob - Works hard all the time. But limited offensive skills.

12. Zubac - hope he keeps it up. Hopefully he'll get stronger next season and that should help him on the boards. The guards need to give him some shots in the low post. So far all he seems to get are PNR shots.

13. Nance - Seems to be a big key for the Lakers. Plays hard, plays smart, has average to above average offensive skills. Seems like the Lakers MVP.

14. Nick Young - I think he's playing well. Pretty consistent on offense. And putting in a good effort on Defense based on what I have observed. Whether he is out to prove himself or because he is playing for a new contract, I say I can count on Nick.

==============================================

So, only five guys (maybe add 3/4 for BI and 1/2 for Lou) I can count on night in and night out. No wonder the Lakers are so bad.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

what's wrong with the lakers?

we have a squad of young <25 year old players. Even Kyrie wasn't winning at that age. You don't win in the NBA with young players, I don't know why people were expecting playoffs with this team. It simply wasn't realistic
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

Was watching the Wolves the Spurs last night. They blew a sizeable lead to the Spurs b/c frankly, they are talented and young, but inexperienced.

I think the Wolves core is better than ours, and if they're struggling to close, then it's not hard to believe we are too.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

Point finger at youth
lakersboi1993
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

If anybody knows the difference between a college ball and NBA official basketball the NBA balls are heavy I believe it takes a while to get used to not to foresure if the college balls are the same as NBA but for surely NBA balls are the heaviest basketball's I played with with some lifting kid should be okay by next year hopefully
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

lakersboi1993 wrote:
If anybody knows the difference between a college ball and NBA official basketball the NBA balls are heavy I believe it takes a while to get used to not to foresure if the college balls are the same as NBA but for surely NBA balls are the heaviest basketball's I played with with some lifting kid should be okay by next year hopefully

Now that is interesting...I didn't know that. That would explain things.

But I grew up playing with the NBA Leather balls and we didn't have any problem shooting them.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

This isn't the main issue, or the issue, but I'd like to lament the roster construction.

Only guys who can space the floor are Russell and Nick Young in the starting lineup, Deng on a good day.

We have three gunners who have the exact same skillset in Lou, Clarkson, Young, and not a single rim protector. Duplicate talent. We don't even have a go-to perimeter defender in certain moments.

We have three roster spots that are complete dead weights in Huertas, Calderon, and MWP, on a professional basketball team.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
This isn't the main issue, or the issue, but I'd like to lament the roster construction.

Only guys who can space the floor are Russell and Nick Young in the starting lineup, Deng on a good day.

We have three gunners who have the exact same skillset in Lou, Clarkson, Young, and not a single rim protector. Duplicate talent. We don't even have a go-to perimeter defender in certain moments.

We have three roster spots that are complete dead weights in Huertas, Calderon, and MWP, on a professional basketball team.

Agreed, and that is one reason besides the youth that I don't expect much.

But a lack of effort especially on defense is inexcusable.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

It's the jews. must be

[Another mod will address this suspension-worthy comment as I don't have time -- but this comment is appalling and wrong and not welcome here. And if you thought it was "funny" or a "joke," that's equally inappropriate. --CL]
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

For number 2, youth, injuries, not as deep as you would think roster, and lack of focus. I happened to write 4000 words on it recently if you care to take a look. (In my sig)
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
It's the jews. must be

[Another mod will address this suspension-worthy comment as I don't have time -- but this comment is appalling and wrong and not welcome here. And if you thought it was "funny" or a "joke," that's equally inappropriate. --CL]

2 WEEK SUSPENSION AND THE STERNEST OF WARNINGS. THIS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED - JMK
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

I'd say the biggest problem is impatient fans that don't understand what a rebuild looks like with a young core....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
I'd say the biggest problem is impatient fans that don't understand what a rebuild looks like with a young core....

Too many want signs and miracles.

I just want to see progress, play like a 30-32 win team this year.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:

I think some people have forgotten just how bad this team was last year and how lost guys looked at time. There was never ANY point last year where you could say the Lakers playing at their best could compete with any team in the league.

Before the season started Luke said They'd like to win games, but it's not THE main goal. This season is about player development, establishing a culture, and instilling good habits in the young guys.

This team is clearly better than they were last year, but people (Many of whom predicted the Lakers would be worse than they are) are upset because.....

Actually I have no idea what all the whining is about. All the young talented teams in the league are going through the same struggles. They have streaks where you look at them and see a future powerhouse and there are times where they look like a complete disaster.

The Lakers have more wins than the Timberwolves and the Sixers, but the narrative surrounding those teams isn't nearly as doom and gloom as it it with this team. Hell for all the raving about Porzingis the Knicks aren't that much better than the Lakers and they have a more seasoned roster with guys that are WAY more consistent than anyone on the Lakers roster.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

I think our young core is a slow but steady bake in the oven.

Guys like KAT/Embiid/Porky were more instant contributors.

But the NBA is about longevity and it's way too early to say our core can't be better than the other young cores over the long haul.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:

We're on pace to win 27 games. My range to start the season was 27-32.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:

Yeah, I was in the 28-32 wins range to meet my expectations.

I think folks have too unreal expectations, especially b/c as Lakers fans, we've never had to go through a true rebuild like this.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
what's wrong with the lakers?

we have a squad of young <25 year old players. Even Kyrie wasn't winning at that age. You don't win in the NBA with young players, I don't know why people were expecting playoffs with this team. It simply wasn't realistic

Magic is the exception.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:

Yeah, I was in the 28-32 wins range to meet my expectations.

I think folks have too unreal expectations, especially b/c as Lakers fans, we've never had to go through a true rebuild like this.

Especially after a hot start.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

Youth shouldn't be an excuse for the lack of effort and hustle. I think they are stars on the team they're just being underutilized because of their draft status.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

Well this looks like fun.

I believe its time to point some fingers at who or what the problem is.

Quote:
1. What is wrong with the Lakers? I don't really expect much because they do still have lots of holes in their roster. Experience and continued growth will remedy some of the problems but it seems like it goes deeper than that.

You have a very young team with players still trying to figure out who they are with their talent. Last year Randle was a traditional PF, double double guy. This year, he's a playmaker. It does not go deeper than that.
Quote:

2. Why is their defense so bad? Is it just a lack of effort? Or are the players just not smart enough to grasp the concepts? Is it a physical ability issue? (too old, too young, too slow, too short, too skinny, etc)

Young team. Grinds of the season. Fundamental mistakes. Not a physical ability issue.
Quote:

Pointing some fingers:

3. Brandon Ingram - so far, he can't shoot. He seems to be improving slightly lately but I worry when a player shoots an airball when he is wide open. Why do some rookies have a hard time shooting when they get to the NBA? The rim is still 10 feet high just like in college. I'm talking about wide open shots... Otherwise BI is doing fine. Seems like he plays hard and smart.

Airball or not, a miss is a miss. At least we know he goes to the gym for shooting practice AFTER the Lakers have actually practiced. Shooters have issues with NBA transition, because now, the guys are quicker, faster, and have 4" more wingspans and better executed fundamentals. The body also has to adjust to playing a full season along with strength training and conditioning.

Quote:
4. Jordan Clarkson - makes some really dumb offensive plays once in a while and I don't know if he is improving any on defense. We seem a little forgiving when his shots are falling. He's still a ball hog. I feel his effort is high at least on offense. Not sure about on Defense.

Walton called him out to be a playmaker. For the most part he has been. His defense has been on and off, but that doesn't mean that the losses are solely based on his effort. He's not as much of a ball hog as you may perceive him.

Quote:
5. Julius Randle - Is he one of the guys the press is saying is not putting out 100% effort? Seems to do well on the boards and in bringing the ball up and distributing. But when it comes to shooting the ball, he kind of reminds me of Kwame Brown in that he is afraid to shoot anything but a lay up and even his layups seem to have been shot by hands of stone.

Can't dribble or pass like that with stone hands. I'd say his effort has been inconsistent. Some with conditioning issues. Sometimes he's not in the game.

Quote:
6. Mozgov - What's his issue? I thought he was playing hard yesterday as evidenced by him running the court on the fast break a couple times. But his minutes were really cut. Is he doing a good job this year. He can't seem to finish the easy short shots very consistently. But he does get hot occasionally from the perimeter. But his verticality ploys don't seem to do much. Seems like a more sturdier version of Hibbert. I know it was only one game but look at Zubac, he's about the same size, he does that verticality stuff and is not as strong but Zubac seems to produce (points, rebounds, blocks) . Mozgov doesn't seem to produce much. Is he one of the guys not hustling or playing smart?

[b]Sturdy Hibbert is a good description. He's still recovering from injury from prior seasons. He gets good post position A LOT but doesn't get the pass. It's not like he's selfish.[/b]
Quote:

7. Russell - So inconsistent. Is he becoming a slacker? Seems like Mudiay outplayed him last night. Hopefully Russell has stopped all his "I'm the best in the draft" and "I've got ice in my veins" talk.

Quote:
8. Deng - Inconsistent - but at least is the effort there?

He's the one guy that improved in late December into January. I don't see what you're looking at.

Quote:

9. Lou Williams - great on offense but does he even try on defense? Is his poor defense just a physical thing or is it lack of effort?

Effort

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:

We have 7 players who are 1st or 2nd years players.
We have 7 players who are now "veterans"

That is not an ideally recipe for developing a young core. How long does the organization want their fan base to wait and develop 7 players who do not have a clear cut leader on the team & who do not seem to be making major strides outside of maybe Ingram, Zubac, Clarkson and Nance ?

Teams who have done it the right way through the draft has been OKC and GSW.

OKC: 3 years.
Durant was averaging 20PPG his 2007 rookie season and the team finished 20 - 62.
3 straight years in the lottery and by the time they had drafted all the star players, they finished 50 - 32 in the 2009-2010 season and continued to progress the following year.

GSW: 4 years.
2009 - 2010 they drafted Curry and had him along with alot of vets and finished 26 - 56. Following year 36 - 46
2011-2012: Draft Klay and finished 23 - 43 (short season)
2012-2013: Draft Barnes - Ezeli - & DGreen and finished that season 47- 35. and continued to progress the following year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

The roster isn't a finished product, it can't be built in one offseason.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Youth shouldn't be an excuse for the lack of effort and hustle. I think they are stars on the team they're just being underutilized because of their draft status.

Well that is a ridiculous idea, but you are welcome to it. The idea that some drafted later in the draft are seeing significant playing time poops all over it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

lakersboi1993 wrote:

NBA basketballs are standard -- same type of ball, 22 ounces.

College basketballs can vary. Each team chooses it's own ball, and it can be from 20-22 ounces. This is one of the home court advantages in college basketball that is rarely talked about.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: