Arrogant and/or diva players who aren't even good?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Arrogant and/or diva players who aren't even good?

Which players are arrogant and/or cause lockerroom drama despite not actually being that good? I think the GOAT in this category is Smush Parker. D-League level player who thought he was Kobe.

Others: Rose and Rondo (though both were actually good pre-injury), Brian Scalabrine, J.R. Smith, Kendrick Perkins, DeAndre Jordan (wanting the offense to run through him), Matt Barnes, post-Orlando Dwight.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Lance Stephenson
Ruben Patterson
Delonte West

But it can be situational or change. For example, Metta World Peace would drink cognac at halftime and get into skirmishes early in his career, but became an elder statesman later on.

Dennis Rodman was seen as a cancer on some teams (Spurs, Lakers) and a delightful eccentric on others (Bulls, Pistons).
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Mario Chalmers: this scrub thought he was an allstar while being carried by LeBron, Wade, Bosh, and he has disappeared since LeBron left.

James Posey/Kendrick Perkins: see above, but replace with Boston's big 3.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Mario Chalmers: this scrub thought he was an allstar while being carried by LeBron, Wade, Bosh, and he has disappeared since LeBron left.

Perkins really isn't all that much better than Kwame Brown, if he even is at all. Pretty sure Kwame could have been plugged in instead of him and the result would have been the same.

Posey at least defended Kobe well and hit some big shots.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

KMart.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Perkins really isn't all that much better than Kwame Brown, if he even is at all. Pretty sure Kwame could have been plugged in instead of him and the result would have been the same.

Before his knee injury, I thought Perkins was a pretty decent player. He could protect the lane, block shots, and grab rebounds. He provided a physical presence and defensive backbone that Kwame never could. Those two were about as opposite as players could be.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Before his knee injury, I thought Perkins was a pretty decent player. He could protect the lane, block shots, and grab rebounds. He provided a physical presence and defensive backbone that Kwame never could. Those two were about as opposite as players could be.

Kwame was also a pretty solid defender.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Kwame's problem is, he has Trump hands. I don't think he can palm a basketball.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

LeBron - just because he needs to be mentioned in every thread. He is not really that good anyway...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

I know some people think that, but I've never seen the basis for that opinion: he was a weak defensive rebounder, poor shot blocker, and his defensive metrics are really weak -- opponents shot a tremendous percentage against him in the post, for example. I think one year he was 250th in the league in that stat.

In the years Kwame played his most minutes, his teams usually ranked near the bottom of the league in defense. That's not all on him, of course, but it sure doesn't support the notion that he could be the backbone of a strong defense.

My take is some people just said he was a good defender to try to justify there was something good about him. Metrics aren't everything, but at his best his defensive metrics didn't come close to Perkin's.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

I'd say his primary problem was lack of confidence and lack of desire. He had tremendous athletic ability, but he folded up pretty quickly whenever challenged. Some people blame Jordan for that, but I think it goes deeper.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

I'd say his primary problem was lack of confidence and lack of desire. He had tremendous athletic ability, but he folded up pretty quickly whenever challenged. Some people blame Jordan for that, but I think it goes deeper.

Which NBA player would you compare him to in terms of athleticism? Would you say it was understandable why he was drafted #1 (talent-wise) or was it just a totally stupid move?

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Which NBA player would you compare him to in terms of athleticism? Would you say it was understandable why he was drafted #1 (talent-wise) or was it just a totally stupid move?

That was the era when guys could come into the NBA straight out of high school. Kwame was the first high school player taken #1 in the draft, but several other high schoolers were taken right after him -- Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, DeSagana Diop. Most of them bombed.

Brown was described by one scout as having a Karl Malone body with Chris Webber skills. One scout said: ""Brown can handle the basketball very well like a guard, and can even lead the fast break. He also has a good-looking stroke from 15-to-17 feet."

But he became a case study of how difficult it is to project how a high schooler will develop, and how the expectations of being a #1 pick can squash some players.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

That scout mustve been blind
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:

They used Karl Malone and Chris Webber because it had a better ring than "combo of Brad Sellers and Chris Dudley".
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:

It's comical in hindsight. But I think it does show how difficult it is to gauge how a physically mature 17 year old, who is dominating other high schoolers, will do in the NBA. Drafting has become a crapshoot. You have a sure-thing guy maybe once every two to four years, but everything else is a projection
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Kwame had some real issues that went back to his childhood and the environment he was raised in. There was an article in the Washington Post from his rookie season that exposed him for who he really was: a scared, socially undeveloped little boy in the body of a man-beast. More than anything, it was sad to read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/28/AR2006112800709.html
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Starbury. Before he became a legend in China, he was branded by the NY media as its most "reviled athlete" and a "coach killer."
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

#1 on the list is Derrick rose. only cares about a paycheck.
L.A.T.W
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
^^^ Kwame had some real issues that went back to his childhood and the environment he was raised in. There was an article in the Washington Post from his rookie season that exposed him for who he really was: a scared, socially undeveloped little boy in the body of a man-beast. More than anything, it was sad to read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/28/AR2006112800709.html

That explains alot about Kwame's psyche smh that's really sad. Everybody isn't mentally as strong as MJ or kobe & that's what makes them special. Hopefully Kwame has found a piece of mind.

As for this topic, I'm beginning to feel like Rondo is in this category. Tremendous talent but diva like attitude. Dwight definitely fits the mold as well.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

lebron!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

L.A.T.W wrote:
slavavov wrote:

That explains alot about Kwame's psyche smh that's really sad. Everybody isn't mentally as strong as MJ or kobe & that's what makes them special. Hopefully Kwame has found a piece of mind.

As for this topic, I'm beginning to feel like Rondo is in this category. Tremendous talent but diva like attitude. Dwight definitely fits the mold as well.

Now there was a basketball player who could've used college. He was basically thrown to the wolves in the NBA once he got out of high school. He was going to be a Florida Gator had he gone to college so I think he would've gotten the support system to grow as a person, not to mention pick up much needed fundamentals to use later on in the NBA.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
You have a sure-thing guy maybe once every two to four years, but everything else is a projection

The last "sure thing" guy at the high school level was Andrew Wiggins. While he has done okay, really, he hasn't come close to his projections at the high school level. They're all just projections.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
L.A.T.W wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Now there was a basketball player who could've used college. He was basically thrown to the wolves in the NBA once he got out of high school. He was going to be a Florida Gator had he gone to college so I think he would've gotten the support system to grow as a person, not to mention pick up much needed fundamentals to use later on in the NBA.

I had read the article when it came out and always had a bit of a soft spot for Kwame. I distinctly recall seeing some of his first games in preseason and he had a nice stroke and skills.

"Brown can handle the basketball very well like a guard, and can even lead the fast break. He also has a good-looking stroke from 15-to-17 feet." - Gene Huh, FoulShots.com

Michael completely carpet bombed the dude's confidence. Poor bastard busted his way to $65 M in career earnings.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

How about the opposite ... humble, low-maintenance players who are good?

Kawhi ...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: