NBA All-Star Voting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: NBA All-Star Voting

Second returns of the fan voting are in...

Western Conference
Frontcourt
1 Kevin Durant (GS) 987,479
2 Zaza Pachulia (GS) 823,376 ????
3 Kawhi Leonard (SA) 630,766
4 Anthony Davis (NO) 567,201
5 Draymond Green (GS) 464,319
6 DeMarcus Cousins (SAC) 379,225
7 Karl-Anthony Towns (MIN) 223,979
8 LaMarcus Aldridge (SA) 192,784
9 Blake Griffin (LAC) 172,393
10 Marc Gasol (MEM) 172,146

Source: Link

How the hell is Zaza getting more votes than Kawhi, AD, and Draymond?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NBA All-Star Voting

BadGuy wrote:

Western Conference
Frontcourt

He has a lot of fans who are stuffing the ballot -- happened last year too.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Too bad the league changed the rules to make the fan vote only worth 50%. It would have been hilarious.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Too bad the league changed the rules to make the fan vote only worth 50%. It would have been hilarious.

Is it really hilarious that people overseas, who may not even follow the NBA, stuff the ballot for their countrymen?

I just find it tiresome. Glad the NBA put in some safeguards against silliness.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Is it really hilarious that people overseas, who may not even follow the NBA, stuff the ballot for their countrymen?

I'd find a journeyman being named an All-Star starter to be pretty funny.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

To each his own. I didn't find it particularly funny when AC Green or BJ Armstrong were voted in by fans, or Jamaal Magloire or Mehmet Okur were selected by coaches. They were just all flaws in the system that allowed fans to stuff ballots or forced coaches to add centers even if there were no worthy ones, and those flaws have been corrected.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

To each his own. I didn't find it particularly funny when AC Green or BJ Armstrong were voted in by fans, or Jamaal Magloire or Mehmet Okur were selected by coaches. They were just all flaws in the system that allowed fans to stuff ballots or forced coaches to add centers even if there were no worthy ones, and those flaws have been corrected.

Green wasn't really that far beneath All-Star level. Same with Okur and Magloire.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

It shouldn't even be worth that much. Even split between fans/coaches/players/media IMO
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

"Flaws"? It's a exhibition game. What's wrong with fans wanting to see a certain player play? Was it a flaw that Magic Johnson played in the 92' ASG and won MVP?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

It shouldn't even be worth that much. Even split between fans/coaches/players/media IMO

But then fans should be able to have a say in the reserves too.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NBA All-Star Voting

activeverb wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Western Conference
Frontcourt

He has a lot of fans who are stuffing the ballot -- happened last year too.

4chan and reddit are pushing for Zaza as a joke.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Green wasn't really that far beneath All-Star level. Same with Okur and Magloire.

Of the 14 starting power forwards in the Western Conference that year, green was probably only the 8th or 9th best. He was a solid player but there's really no way you can justify that he should have been close to the All-Star team
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

"Flaws"? It's a exhibition game. What's wrong with fans wanting to see a certain player play? Was it a flaw that Magic Johnson played in the 92' ASG and won MVP?

Sure, it's an exhibition game, but also it can have important effect on how players are paid and what their final reputations are. If you're in the group that fans should be able to do whatever they want, no matter how silly their choices, I have no problem with your opinion. Obviously, the NBA. Otherwise, which is why they changed the system. And personally I think it was a good change
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Sure, it's an exhibition game, but also it can have important effect on how players are paid and what their final reputations are. If you're in the group that fans should be able to do whatever they want, no matter how silly their choices, I have no problem with your opinion. Obviously, the NBA. Otherwise, which is why they changed the system. And personally I think it was a good change

Right, but then the league is playing favorites then. Magic and post-prime players like Kobe are ok to be voted in, but an NBA journeyman, role player, isn't. That seems silly to me. Quite frankly, if you're an NBA fan, Zaza is a well known name.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Right, but then the league is playing favorites then. Magic and post-prime players like Kobe are ok to be voted in, but an NBA journeyman, role player, isn't. That seems silly to me. Quite frankly, if you're an NBA fan, Zaza is a well known name.

I wouldn't call it playing favorites. The NBA simply change the rules to allow more people to participate in the decision. (This isn't the first time the NBA has changed the rules for who gets into the game; the NBA has changed the voting rules for MVP, finals MVP, all-defense teams and other honors over the years; there is no intrinsic reason that a fan-only vote for the all-star team is some untouchable process.)

Also, journeymen and role players are not barred from being voted into the game. Zaza is eligible for the game. He simply needs to get support from other players and the media as well as fans.

As far as post prime Kobe and Magic, we have no idea how they would have done under the current voting system. Perhaps they would not have gotten in.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

I don't like the way the voting was set up this season. I hope they go back to the old format.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Oh look! Zaza didn't make it. What a surprise... Lol

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2017/1/19/14323790/nba-all-star-2017-game-starters-vote-kevin-durant-lebron-james
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Congrats Harden!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Zaza did well in the "fan voting" because, among other things, the largest bank in his country sent out a daily email recommending people vote for him and giving them detailed instructions on how.

The new system did not deprived NBA fans your choice. In jest minimize the influence of ballot stuffers, many of whom probably have never even seen an NBA game
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

I wrote in Kobe for the west, and for the east, the entire starting lineup of the 1993-94 Charlotte Hornets.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook didn't get voted in. Lilliard "might" make it for the first time? Where you play doesn't matter right?
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook didnt make starters? Wtf! Having an historic season not seen since Big O is not enough? Fans I tells you...

He should be the first one in easy. Imagine if LBJ was averaging a trip-dub?! ESPN has been drooling and hoisting him for years at just the prospect that LeBron may average TD one day... here we have a player that is actually doing it. I feel for RW.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

The West is brutal.

Curry, Durant, Kawhi, Harden and Anthony Davis.

Curry's having a bit of a down year statistically so that's probably the spot that Westbrook could/should have gotten in.

But yeah, playing in OKC vs the Bay Area.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
The West is brutal.

Curry, Durant, Kawhi, Harden and Anthony Davis.

Curry's having a bit of a down year statistically so that's probably the spot that Westbrook could/should have gotten in.

But yeah, playing in OKC vs the Bay Area.

Westbrook had my vote over Steph, but let's not pretend RW's scoring efficiency and turnover numbers are anything but horrendous ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

All star voting is pretty much a popularity contest. Remember that year Yao was voted in as a starter and he didn't even play because he was injured?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: