Lebron's next destination
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

Minor quibble: It was the 2006 Pistons.

2006 Pistons didn't win the championship. (Though you're correct that Billups and Hamilton weren't All-Stars during 2004 or in any year before at that point.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject:

If Lebron leaves CLE again he'll not only go play with two other superstars, he'll also go somewhere that will take his brand to the next level. Remember, Lebron cares as much about business as he does about basketball.

Anyone think he'd try to link up with two other stars in Brooklyn? Imagine the business opportunities he'd have playing in the #1 market for a team (partly) owned by Jay Z.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
If Lebron leaves CLE again he'll not only go play with two other superstars, he'll also go somewhere that will take his brand to the next level. Remember, Lebron cares as much about business as he does about basketball.

Anyone think he'd try to link up with two other stars in Brooklyn? Imagine the business opportunities he'd have playing in the #1 market for a team (partly) owned by Jay Z.

Lebron is already one of the most famous and richest athletes in the world. I can't see how going to Brooklyn, or any other team for that matter, would present anymore business opportunities than he could get staying in Cleveland.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

2006 Pistons didn't win the championship. (Though you're correct that Billups and Hamilton weren't All-Stars during 2004 or in any year before at that point.)

No, the 2006 Pistons were the team with four actual all-stars. Come on, man, keep up with your own posts.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

The last Pistons team that won a championship were a team of castoffs and misfits from other teams, but its not like they weren't all star caliber players in their own right. I think their old teams didn't appreciate them or give them roles with which exploited their talents to their fullest. And if there is a point to be learned, is that there are diamonds in the rough around the league that aren't being utilized to their full potential that a good GM will be able to find and assemble and build a championship caliber team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

The problem with using "all star" as a criteria is no one knows what it means.

-- Does it mean someone was an all-star in the same year his team won a ring?
-- An all star at any point in their career?
-- At a certain number of years before or after the ring team?
-- That the player is perceived at being at an all-star level even if they never actually made a team?

It's a pretty shaky description. Both B.J. Armstrong and Michael Jordan were all stars, but they weren't equal; same with James Donaldson and Hakeem or AC Green and Karl Malone.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

i think he'll find a way to get his "super friends" to all come to CLE.

Wade, CP3 and Melo. They'll find a way to make it work.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject:

3 rings is a lot. He has already cemented his legacy. Even he knows just how brutally lucky he had to get to win 2/3 of those rings. Another one is NOT happening. He's ending his career in Cleveland where he can coast to the finals for the next three years as Kyrie takes over. They have a great team - KLove was a superstar and has taken the perfect back seat to Kyrie and Lebron just like Bosh did. People forget how much Bosh "regressed" playing in Miami but that's the price you pay for being the third option. Lebron figures if he can get to the finals the next three years with ease he can maybe get lucky one more time.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Lebron is already one of the most famous and richest athletes in the world. I can't see how going to Brooklyn, or any other team for that matter, would present anymore business opportunities than he could get staying in Cleveland.

I could be wrong, but when it comes to business opportunities, the NYC area is in a whole different universe than Cleveland. I don't think Lebron will leave Cleveland again, but then again, he is a mercenary, so I wouldn't put it past him.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I could be wrong, but when it comes to business opportunities, the NYC area is in a whole different universe than Cleveland. I don't think Lebron will leave Cleveland again, but then again, he is a mercenary, so I wouldn't put it past him.

Theres nothing in New York for him. The Nets and Knicks are both terrible and don't have the roster to compete. Lebron is getting up there in age, I see playing at most another 4-5 years.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

The jokes just write themselves...

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/01/24/after-another-loss-lebron-james-reiterates-call-to-bring-in-more-roster-help/

Quote:
After another loss, LeBron James reiterates call to bring in more roster help

Monday morning at shootaround in New Orleans, LeBron James played down the Cavaliers having lost four-of-six talking about the “process” and the “marathon” NBA season. He was keeping his eyes on the big picture, where the Cavaliers remain clear and away the team to beat in the East.

A few hours later his Cavaliers lost to the Pelicans. Without Anthony Davis. And the Cavs game up 124 points in the process.

After that, LeBron was once again saying the Cavaliers need some roster help. Via Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal.

“We’re not better than last year, from a personnel standpoint … we’re a top-heavy team,” James said, adding a few minutes later, “I just hope that we’re not satisfied as an organization. I just hope we not satisfied. How hard it was to do that s—. I just hope we’re not satisfied….

“I don’t got no time to waste,” he said. “I’ll be 33 in the winter and I ain’t got time to waste. That’s what I’m talking about. … When I feel like physically and mentally, me personally, can’t compete for a championship no more or I feel like I can’t do it, then I won’t have this problem. But until that happens, and it don’t seem like no time soon…”

LeBron has been clear before he wants the team to add a playmaking backup point guard, where right now Kay Felder and DeAndre Liggins are being asked to play (which is why Kyrie Irving played 42 minutes against the Pelicans). Remember the Cavaliers decided not to pay Matthew Dellavedova last summer because Mo Williams was going to be their more affordable veteran reserve, then the day before training camp started Williams decided to retire (although the Cavaliers kept him on the roster and his salary has become quite the pawn).

It’s easy for LeBron to say “get another playmaker,” it’s another thing entirely for GM David Griffin to do it. The Cavaliers already have the highest payroll in the NBA and Dan Gilbert’s check with taxes this season will be north of $130 million.

The bigger issue is Cleveland has nothing of value to trade. After the Kyle Korver deal, Cleveland doesn’t have a first-round pick to move until 2021. The roster is also barren of guys the Cavaliers can move who will net anything of value — for example, Felder and Liggins aren’t going to get a playmaker. The Cavs could offer up Iman Shumpert, but he’s starting right now (until J.R. Smith‘s return) and playing fairly well. And Shumpert may not be enough.

More likely, I expect the Cavaliers are hoping to find someone on the waiver wire after the trade deadline (or maybe before) that can help them. But help them how much remains to be seen.

LeBron may not like it, but he probably is going to have to make due with the guys he’s got in the locker room now. The Korver trade was probably the Cavs one big play.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I don't understand what business opportunities you think are available to him only if he's playing in New York.
ClemensBriels
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

I don't see how you can fault a guy for wanting help in a league with a team that has Durant, Steph, Dray, Klay, Livingston, and Iggy
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

ClemensBriels wrote:
I don't see how you can fault a guy for wanting help in a league with a team that has Durant, Steph, Dray, Klay, Livingston, and Iggy

He knows what it's like when the deck is stacked. He did it in Miami.

The way GS abused them last they played has him worried. He did the impossible last season. GS won't let that happen again. Every time they play the Cavs it'll be a message game. Every game will be a playoff game.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ClemensBriels
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ClemensBriels wrote:

The way GS abused them last they played has him worried. He did the impossible last season. GS won't let that happen again. Every time they play the Cavs it'll be a message game. Every game will be a playoff game.

They've already played both their regular season games. Lebron is still a better player than any of their players individually- although Durant isn't far behind. and their roster is not comparable to any roster ever. Not the 10-14 Heat, not the 02-03 or 12-13 Lakers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ClemensBriels wrote:

They've already played their two games this year with GS and split them 1-1.

I'm not sure if Lebron is focused overly on the Warriors. He was talking about this before the lost. Their problem is injuries have left their bench too thin, and Lebron and Irving need to play too many minutes.

I think their dream scenario would be to sign either Jarrett Jack or Chalmers as a free agent; snag Bogut from Dallas; and see what veterans are cut.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Warriors won't lose to the Cavs if they are healthy and have HCA.

I say Warriors win in 6

If the Spurs face the Cavs, it will be interesting. If Cavs have HCA, I pick them in 7. If Spurs do, I take them in 7.

Leonard matches up well with Lebron on both ends.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ClemensBriels wrote:

They've already played their two games this year with GS and split them 1-1.

I'm not sure if Lebron is focused overly on the Warriors. He was talking about this before the lost. Their problem is injuries have left their bench too thin, and Lebron and Irving need to play too many minutes.

I think their dream scenario would be to sign either Jarrett Jack or Chalmers as a free agent; snag Bogut from Dallas; and see what veterans are cut.

I think the Warriors are one of LBJ's main concerns.

Yes they split. Let's look at the differences in the W L.

Warriors lost the first meeting this season in the last minuet 109-108.

They destroyed Cleveland in the second contest 126-91. IMO that total domination had a effect on LeBron.

I understand James wanting to shore up. If the teams stay as is I think it's a wrap for GS.

As the season has progressed I think it's Cleveland coming out of the East and Golden State the West. Rematch.

EDIT: I'm of the school, attended by many sports pundits, if Green hadn't been suspended in game 5 GS would have won the ship.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

GS in 6 games. Maybe even 5. They won't underestimate the Cavs again, and no one will be suspended this time around.
ClemensBriels
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
GS in 6 games. Maybe even 5. They won't underestimate the Cavs again, and no one will be suspended this time around.

Yeah Lebron always gets so lucky man like when Kyrie and Love went down in 2015
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I don't understand what business opportunities you think are available to him only if he's playing in New York.

I'm guessing that there are better opportunities for Lebron to market himself and further his brand in the NYC area. Remember how in 2008 and 2009 he was dropping hints about wanting to go there by wearing Yankees hats?

Plus with Porzingis' emergence and Derrick Rose healthy and playing well, maybe the addition of Lebron to the Knicks would make them instant title contenders. He'd probably be hailed as the next great hero out there on a team that hasn't won anything since the Watergate hearings. That by itself would also be a marketing opportunity for him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

LeBron is LeBron. He's marketable not only anywhere in the country but anywhere in the world. He's the Babe Ruth of basketball.

The league pushed him into a position that makes his face one that will boost sales on anything it's associated with anywhere.

Love him or hate him, it is what it is, he is what he is.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: