Lakers Have the 5th Best Young Core (25 or Under)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
UG I get what he said, but is that a reason why he has him rated 5th out of our 6 young guys including Zubac who's barely played at all? There's not a single thing related to his actual performance that diando posted. Like if we're ranking players by personality I got

1) Larry
2) Zubac
3) Randle
4) Clarkson
5) Ingram
6) Russell

Good point, thanks for clarifying. Maybe his is a more of a qualitative ranking?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
diando wrote:
From what I've seen I'd say:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

Russell worries me because of his attitude towards the game. He acts like he's bleep and he hasn't done bleep yet. He hasn't shown me what will separate his game from other yet. Also when he misses 3s (mostly due to technical flaws) you know the team is in for a bad night, because he doesn't bring it defensively, which is even more highlighted when his offense isn't going. What I'm saying is that he should let his game alone speak, when he gets the playoffs at least, then he could start talking a little bit.
Same sentiments for Randle too, although his play has generally been better than Russell's; and there are nights, when he's focused, he looks like the best player on the court.
Our guys need to work on their individual skills for the team to succeed.
Also I need more rebounds from Clarkson.

So you think a quieter (Nance) and less proven (Zubac) guys are better than DLO b/c he talks too much. Ok.

Where did he say this

Hmm, let's see:

Quote:
he could start talking a little bit.

It's pretty obvious DLO gets a lot of flack for the sentiment above.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
diando wrote:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

Russell worries me because of his attitude towards the game. He acts like he's bleep and he hasn't done bleep yet. He hasn't shown me what will separate his game from other yet. Also when he misses 3s (mostly due to technical flaws) you know the team is in for a bad night, because he doesn't bring it defensively, which is even more highlighted when his offense isn't going. What I'm saying is that he should let his game alone speak, when he gets the playoffs at least, then he could start talking a little bit.
Same sentiments for Randle too, although his play has generally been better than Russell's; and there are nights, when he's focused, he looks like the best player on the court.

So you think a quieter (Nance) and less proven (Zubac) guys are better than DLO b/c he talks too much. Ok.

Where did he say this

Hmm, let's see:

Quote:

I was asking where he said that Nance and Zubac are better than D'Lo specifically because D'Lo talks too much.
Still can't seem to find it.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

Perhaps having the fifth best young core feels a little too much like going 16-32 this season: it's not been a great feeling and it's led to a severely reduced personal optimism for seeing much in terms of improved play in-season. The team's play over the past two weeks (going a sloppy 1-6) have been as bad as anything I've seen in four years.

So, I buy into "as plays our young core, so play the Lakers." I've been patient all season and am still patient. Let the kids play and let's see what can happen. It will take time, if good thngs are to come.

But don't crow too loud about how strong this young core looks. It's a just a matter of faith and hope at this point. Mostly hope.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dominator wrote:
diando wrote:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

What is this talking you speak of?

The time DLO, the 20 year old, dared to post up the all-star Dame, who took exception to DLO being physical (and throwing a few chicken wings).

When Dame got in his face, DLO should have just bowed in a 90 degree angle to show him respect (and not look Dame in the face of course).

Is this really how people want young players to act? Should he ask permission to post him up and score on him next time?

This is crazy, youre advocating for him to play scared.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

"best" shouldn't be associated with anything we do right now. youngest? fine. "best". No. Just no.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

Pelton's write up on the Lakers:

Quote:
The Lakers reached rock bottom in a 49-point loss on Sunday, the anniversary of Kobe Bryant's 81-point game against the Toronto Raptors.

L.A. managed just 73 points against the Mavericks, taking them down to 6-22 since the start of December. Only the 4-22 Brooklyn Nets have been worse in that span.

With the excitement of the Lakers' 10-10 start now a distant memory, it's worth checking in on their young core to see how far away the Lakers are from competing in the Western Conference -- and whether this group will be intact when they get there.

Randle and Russell have slumped since strong starts

The Lakers' unexpectedly strong start was built primarily on offense. Even when they were .500, they ranked 27th in the league in defensive rating, according to NBA.com/Stats.

Lakers' Drop-Off PERIOD OFF. RATING DEF. RATING October/November 104.3 (13) 107.4 (27) December/January 103.0 (25) 112.7 (29) Since then, the Lakers' defense has only gotten worse while their offense has cratered. They've dropped to 25th in the NBA in offensive rating after ranking in the top half of the league through November. (That's a better indication of their decline than the raw numbers because leaguewide offensive performance has trended upward.)

In part, that can be blamed on injuries to starting guards D'Angelo Russell (currently out 1-2 weeks with a sprained MCL and a strained calf muscle) and Nick Young. According to NBA.com/Stats, the Lakers have managed less than a point per possession with injury replacements Jose Calderon and Marcelo Huertas on the court this season.

However, it also reflects recent lottery picks Russell and Julius Randle fading after strong starts. At the end of November, Randle's true shooting percentage was an impressive .572, a dramatic improvement from the .482 mark he posted in his first full season. Since then, it has dropped to .525. Meanwhile, Russell's true shooting percentage has dropped from .534 to .489, worse than his .507 mark as a rookie.

Randle's development is a fascinating case study. According to NBAwowy.com, when playing power forward alongside one of the team's traditional centers (Timofey Mozgov, Tarik Black and Ivica Zubac), he has shot about the same dismal percentage on 2-point attempts (43.6 percent) as he did in 2015-16 (43.5 percent). Randle's improvement, then, can largely be traced to playing in smaller lineups with better floor spacing. When he's the lone big man on the court, Randle shoots an incredible 65.8 percent on 2-point attempts.

Lineups with Randle as the lone big man have scored 113.1 points per 100 possessions, a mark bettered this season only by the Golden State Warriors (113.6). Unfortunately, the Lakers have given up 116.2 points per 100 possessions, as Randle doesn't have the ability to anchor a defense as a center. His improved playmaking (Randle has doubled his assist rate this season) is encouraging, but Randle can only become a plus contributor if he scores efficiently as a power forward.

The same is true for Russell, who has proved more capable of creating shots than hitting them thus far in his NBA career. Because Russell rarely gets to the basket off the dribble and doesn't finish well there (he's shooting only 57.1 percent inside 3 feet this season, per Basketball-Reference.com), that will likely require improving his average 3-point shooting (34.9 percent career).

Russell has actually shot well (43.0 percent) on catch-and-shoot 3s, according to SportVU tracking on NBA.com/Stats. It's pull-up 3s that have been an issue: Russell is making them at a 27.7 percent clip, and because most of those come when opponents go under screens, Russell is averaging just 0.65 points on pick-and-roll plays, second worst among players with at least 100 such attempts, via Synergy Sports charting.

Do the Lakers have a star on the roster?

After years of neglecting the draft and the back end of the roster, the Lakers have done a better job of adding supporting talent in recent seasons. Larry Nance Jr., a late 2015 first-round pick, looks like a valuable role player (whose 16-game absence due to a bone contusion in his left knee also factored into the Lakers' swoon), while Black, a waiver pickup two seasons ago, has provided good minutes off the bench. And 2016 second-round pick Zubac shows the promise to join this group.

Still, the Lakers' years in the lottery will prove worth it only if they can develop a star from their lottery picks. Randle and Russell haven't yet shown that potential on a consistent basis, though they could certainly get there. And while it's entirely premature to render a verdict on 2016 No. 2 overall pick Brandon Ingram, who's still 19, the early returns have not been encouraging.

Ingram's hot college shooting (he shot 41.0 percent on 3s in his lone year at Duke) hasn't held up; he's making just 29.7 percent from 3-point range, seventh worst among players with at least 100 attempts, according to Basketball-Reference.com. Worse yet, Ingram is also making less than 40 percent of his 2-point attempts (39.8 percent), which would make him the 25th player in NBA history to pull off that particular double.

The inaccurate shooting has outweighed the promise Ingram has shown as a playmaker and defender. His 2.8 wins below replacement level by my WARP metric are worst in the league, as is his minus-5.4 rating in ESPN's real plus-minus (RPM).

Naturally, that's partially because Ingram has played more than the typical 19-year-old rookie, but it's hard to find players who have started so poorly and become anything more than capable reserves.

Can the Lakers find a star?

So if the Lakers don't yet have a budding star on the roster, how can they find one? This year's draft might be their last, best chance. The Lakers' first-round pick is again top-three protected, and the upside of their swoon is reducing the chances they send the Philadelphia 76ers a lottery pick this year. (The pick is unprotected next year.)

Projections using ESPN's Basketball Power Index now have the Lakers landing a top-three pick 43.7 percent of the time. At the same time, there's only so much the Lakers can do to improve their chances further. Even if they finish with the league's worst record (a long shot with the Brooklyn Nets seven games behind in the win column), the Lakers would still lose their pick more than a third of the time (with a 64.3 percent chance of keeping it).

This year's draft seems even more important for the Lakers in the context of their past seven months. First, the Lakers spent lavishly in last summer's free-agency period in a misguided effort to win now. Their four-year, $64 million deal for Mozgov looked irrationally exuberant at the time, and already the Lakers have been much better with Mozgov on the bench this season.

Meanwhile, Luol Deng has predictably struggled at small forward after revitalizing his career as an undersized 4 last season with the Miami Heat. Because Deng is 31 and Mozgov 30, those contracts only figure to get worse as both players age.

Despite overpaying Deng and Mozgov, the Lakers could still clear $20-plus million in cap space this summer by waiving Black, whose $6.7 million salary is non-guaranteed. However, the addition of the designated player rule in the new NBA collective bargaining agreement makes it less likely the league's best players change teams in free agency. Unless the Lakers can persuade Blake Griffin to change locker rooms at Staples Center (and clear the remaining necessary space to get him), they're likely going to be bidding on second-tier free agents such as Gordon Hayward of the Utah Jazz for the foreseeable future.

Adding such a player in free agency can still help fill out a contending roster, but the Lakers aren't anywhere close to having one right now. And unless they keep this year's draft pick and land a superstar, they might not get there without more time in the lottery.

I don't think he gave Ingram credit for making strides this month but this all feels kinda on point
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dominator wrote:
diando wrote:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

The time DLO, the 20 year old, dared to post up the all-star Dame, who took exception to DLO being physical (and throwing a few chicken wings).

When Dame got in his face, DLO should have just bowed in a 90 degree angle to show him respect (and not look Dame in the face of course).

Is this really how people want young players to act? Should he ask permission to post him up and score on him next time?

I guess you should read my reply to this earlier, I'm definitely NOT advocating that any of our players to play scared.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dominator wrote:
diando wrote:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

I guess you should read my reply to this earlier, I'm definitely NOT advocating that any of our players to play scared.

Not posting up a player because he is an "all-star" is playing scared. Bowing to an "all-star" because he gets in your face is also playing scared. So yes you are advocating that unless you were being sarcastic and I just didn't catch on.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dominator wrote:
diando wrote:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

That's not what I'm talking about. It's about acting like a superstar and you aren't one, especially when your game isn't backing it up.
Of course I want him to stand up for himself against anybody... but, taking that game as an example, he lost the battle after that. In that game I'd wish he'd take Lillard to the block every trip down.

I'm talking about the swagger interviews, the ads, the celebrations (ice water in my veins) and the fact that his jersey is used as the model jersey like he is the biggest face of the franchise now. Truthfully right now, the big money SF locked in for 4 years that should have that honor, even if father time is catching up. All I'm saying is that the game needs to match the swagger.
Lastly I truly hate the fact that when we face a scoring PG or C, I have a feeling we'd lose due to the lack of defensive ability at those positions and the lack of offensive fire power to match or wear out the opposition on most nights.

I was trying to say you skipped this reply.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dominator wrote:
diando wrote:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

That's not what I'm talking about. It's about acting like a superstar and you aren't one, especially when your game isn't backing it up.
Of course I want him to stand up for himself against anybody... but, taking that game as an example, he lost the battle after that. In that game I'd wish he'd take Lillard to the block every trip down.

I'm talking about the swagger interviews, the ads, the celebrations (ice water in my veins) and the fact that his jersey is used as the model jersey like he is the biggest face of the franchise now. Truthfully right now, the big money SF locked in for 4 years that should have that honor, even if father time is catching up. All I'm saying is that the game needs to match the swagger.
Lastly I truly hate the fact that when we face a scoring PG or C, I have a feeling we'd lose due to the lack of defensive ability at those positions and the lack of offensive fire power to match or wear out the opposition on most nights.

He doesn't act like a superstar. You're taking two or three incidents of excessive celebration and acting like he does this stuff all the time. Swagger interviews? Ads? What is a swagger interview and when was the last time he did one?

The ice in my veins stuff is actually pretty cool and something he really doesn't do all that often. Certainly not often enough to warrant all this angst about it.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
diando wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dominator wrote:
diando wrote:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

Not posting up a player because he is an "all-star" is playing scared. Bowing to an "all-star" because he gets in your face is also playing scared. So yes you are advocating that unless you were being sarcastic and I just didn't catch on.

You should really read the reply
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
diando wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dominator wrote:
diando wrote:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

You should really read the reply

..... my bad...... Ill show myself out now
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

All good man. For the record, I agree with you about not playing scared 100%.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Pelton's write up on the Lakers:

I don't think he gave Ingram credit for making strides this month but this all feels kinda on point

damn Pelton....always using those silly facts to make a point
Jakanzi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

I think we as Laker fans have overrated Ingram's improvement to some extent. During his good stretch of games he's averaging something like 12 points in 31 minutes, which is a basically a typical Deng performance if we're lucky. It's been a huge improvement, but a huge improvement over being really bad is still average at best.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Jakanzi wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

I think we as Laker fans have overrated Ingram's improvement to some extent. During his good stretch of games he's averaging something like 12 points in 31 minutes, which is a basically a typical Deng performance if we're lucky. It's been a huge improvement, but a huge improvement over being really bad is still average at best.

I will wait until the kid gets stronger and and gains some weight before I cast doubts on his future potential....but yeah, currently he is not competitive at the NBA level, and many LG'ers want it so bad, they trick themselves into seeing it. We "claimed" when we drafted him we understood he was too thin, and it would take a few year....but we were lying to ourselves...we all hoped he come out and shock the league. We will do the same thing next year. Ingram will be good, and he has a solid chance to be very good if he wants it.....maybe even great if wants more than anything else in his life.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Pelton's assessment is brutal. I've been warming to the idea of trading the farm save for one guy (probably Ingram) to Sac for Boogie for a while, and that article just adds kerosene to the fire.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
diando wrote:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

Where did he say this

Hmm, let's see:

Quote:

I was asking where he said that Nance and Zubac are better than D'Lo specifically because D'Lo talks too much.

Based on severely downgrading DLO b/c of talking, it's quite easy to surmise that non-"talkers" Nance/Zubac are credited for...not "talking." I mean if Zubac did "Ice in my veins" after hitting a skyhook I'm sure he won't be vilified b/c he barely talks.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
diando wrote:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

Where did he say this

Hmm, let's see:

Quote:

Based on severely downgrading DLO b/c of talking, it's quite easy to surmise that non-"talkers" Nance/Zubac are credited for...not "talking." I mean if Zubac did "Ice in my veins" after hitting a skyhook I'm sure he won't be vilified b/c he barely talks.

Imagining HOF Zubac doing that is hilarious
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
diando wrote:
1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Nance
4. Zubac
5. Russell
6. Clarkson

Where did he say this

Hmm, let's see:

Quote:

Imagining HOF Zubac doing that is hilarious

If Zubac does Ice In My Vein after dunking on someone's face... I would just have to buy his jersey
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Well said. Wanted to add that the D'Lo "daring to post up the All-Star Dame" narrative is pathetic tbh. D'Lo did not go off that game. Lakers lost and looked like chumps. It wasn't a moment like when Shaq dunked on Bynum, then Bynum went at him the very next position and did the same <<< that's how a player let's his game speak.

LOL, they played each other within a week and DLO was posting up Dame in that previous game.

So when this 20 year old kid has the temerity to do it again, Dame is understandably flustered and upset by it. It's an ego thing (and of course right now Dame is much better than DLO). I thought it was so silly for Dame to get upset over that.

Dame being upset was surprising but it made sense the way he explained it in this soft era. Not every player is like Kobe, who not only would have responded with throwing elbows back but would have initiated and ended the whole thing. Even if we still lost the game, I think most of us would have liked to see D'Lo properly respond to Dame's challenge and duel him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Well said. Wanted to add that the D'Lo "daring to post up the All-Star Dame" narrative is pathetic tbh. D'Lo did not go off that game. Lakers lost and looked like chumps. It wasn't a moment like when Shaq dunked on Bynum, then Bynum went at him the very next position and did the same <<< that's how a player let's his game speak.

LOL, they played each other within a week and DLO was posting up Dame in that previous game.

So when this 20 year old kid has the temerity to do it again, Dame is understandably flustered and upset by it. It's an ego thing (and of course right now Dame is much better than DLO). I thought it was so silly for Dame to get upset over that.

Dame being upset was surprising but it made sense the way he explained it in this soft era. Not every player is like Kobe, who not only would have responded with throwing elbows back but would have initiated and ended the whole thing. Even if we still lost the game, I think most of us would have liked to see D'Lo properly respond to Dame's challenge and duel him.
He did, but he missed a couple of shots while Dame hit a couple. Then Russell wisely went away from that.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

He did, but he missed a couple of shots while Dame hit a couple. Then Russell wisely went away from that.

Dame had 11 points in the third. I don't remember D'Lo much in that game other than the double tech.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
tox wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Dame had 11 points in the third. I don't remember D'Lo much in that game other than the double tech.

That's what I'm saying. After the double tech, they went at each other. Dame hit 2 or 3 in a row and Russ missed his two attempts, so he went back to the team game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13
Jump to: