Lakers Have the 5th Best Young Core (25 or Under)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Have the 5th Best Young Core (25 or Under)

yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
I will admit that I am enamored by Ingram, Nance, and Zubac, and hope they are Lakers for a very long time.

You are not alone

And not nearly enough if Dlo and Jules don't pan out.

It may be enough with Ingram and Zubac panning out. What we need is at least one of our young players to start posting great numbers. While they are not, we have our favorites

No. It's a fact. Those two aren't nearly enough. To have a 2nd and 7th pick not pan out is disastrous.

I agree that a 2nd and a 7th pick not panning out is bad, but you need ONE superstar to build around because with one you become a desirable destiny for FA. I don't agree with the guys claiming Dlo or Julius are buts, they are at least serviceable players and we have a chance to build a team with at least one player elevating his game to the level Embiid is playing now. Don't forget we can move pieces too.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Have the 5th Best Young Core (25 or Under)

yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
I will admit that I am enamored by Ingram, Nance, and Zubac, and hope they are Lakers for a very long time.

You are not alone

That will suck if Dlo does not pan out.

I am hoping that he turns it around.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Have the 5th Best Young Core (25 or Under)

laker4life wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
nash wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:

You are not alone

That will suck if Dlo does not pan out.

I am hoping that he turns it around.

You know I disagree about the notion that Dlo hasn't panned out.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
What's so interesting about this list, which I would say is fairly accurate give or take, is how quickly, with young players, the landscape can change.

Last season, you might have said we were one of the top 2 or 3. We've slipped.

Last season, we would not have had the Bucks and 76ers up there.

I couldn't find my list from last year. I though I had the Lakers at 4 or 5. I could be wrong.

Oh, I didn't mean you, even though that's what I said. Haha. I meant generally, people might have said top 2 or 3 last year and definitely coming in to this season.

Heck, 20 games in, we seemed like #1.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm high on our core but not oblivious to how other young cores may be better either. I see 3 teams clearly ahead of us right now and possibly in the future. I can see us possibly passing Utah/Denver.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

None of the young players are good defenders. Ingram is the only one with the potential to be a real difference maker on defense once he develops and fills out physically. I'm only looking at the first rounders in that assessment. None of the other players look to even have the potential to be good defenders. Outside of the first rounders, Zubac looks to have the most potential as a traditional post player on both ends. Lakers wasted money on Mozgov and Deng, so it looks like it will be a while before they become competitive.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Have the 5th Best Young Core (25 or Under)

yinoma2001 wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lakers have the 5th best young core under 25. Is that good enough to build on?

towards a championship? there's 2 title contenders this year in the entire league: Warriors and Cavs. that's the reality of the situation, not only do we not have enough to build on, every other team with except of 2 have NO SHOT at the championship.

NBA is a very sad sport to follow if you are caught up in the championship mentality.

Which is why I'm comparing the under 25 cores since the Cavs window should pass in a few years. The Warriors on the other hand, that's going to be a big problem for the Lakers.

but I think it's a big leap to think the teams with the best young core at the moment will be title contenders in a few years

it's good fodder for convo
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Have the 5th Best Young Core (25 or Under)

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lakers have the 5th best young core under 25. Is that good enough to build on?

towards a championship? there's 2 title contenders this year in the entire league: Warriors and Cavs. that's the reality of the situation, not only do we not have enough to build on, every other team with except of 2 have NO SHOT at the championship.

NBA is a very sad sport to follow if you are caught up in the championship mentality.

Which is why I'm comparing the under 25 cores since the Cavs window should pass in a few years. The Warriors on the other hand, that's going to be a big problem for the Lakers.

but I think it's a big leap to think the teams with the best young core at the moment will be title contenders in a few years

it's good fodder for convo

Warriors probably had a top 5 under 25 core. Okc certainly did too.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

Randle and Ingram are the only players that were drafted high that's living up to their potential. Clarkson, Zubac, and Nance have all showed flashes of great play and they all play defense. Russell is the only young player I'm concerned with. Until Russell starts playing like a 2nd overall pick we shouldn't be top 5. We have the potential to be top 3.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Randle and Ingram are the only players that were drafted high that's living up to their potential. Clarkson, Zubac, and Nance have all showed flashes of great play and they all play defense. Russell is the only young player I'm concerned with. Until Russell starts playing like a 2nd overall pick we shouldn't be top 5. We have the potential to be top 3.

So about a month ago you said Jules and Ingram were playing terribly. Now all of a sudden they're "living up to their potential" while Dlo is a concern? Interesting.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

A month ago they couldn't hit shots but they still showed flashes with the ball handling, passing, and getting after it defensively. Both also are great athletes and have good size. Russell knees as well as his inconsistent effort is a major concern going forward.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
A month ago they couldn't hit shots but they still showed flashes with the ball handling, passing, and getting after it defensively. Both also are great athletes and have good size. Russell knees as well as his inconsistent effort is a major concern going forward.

Whatever floats your boat.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

I would think the Lakers assets as of today are valued at.

1. Ingram
2. Dlo
3. Jules
4. Zubac
5. Nance or JC.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

1. Ingram
2. Dlo
3. Jules
4. Zubac
5. Nance or JC.

Those last 3 are tough to rank.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. Ingram
2. Dlo
3. Jules
4. Zubac
5. Nance or JC.

I think age is a factor. Zub at 19 under favorable contract situation. Nance and JC will be solid part of the core 8 players going forward. They're a bit older but we need that balance too.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

1. Ingram
2. Dlo
3. Jules
4. Zubac
5. Nance or JC.

I'm stuck on DLO vs Ingram. We've seen more out of DLO in a season and a half than BI's three months, but he has more two-way potential whereas DLO proved he could get to some impressive scoring numbers and is a good playmaker. I think I need to see more strong offensive performances from Ingram before I place him ahead of DLO. He's technically had two horrible months of basketball followed by a good near-month. He's gotta crack 20 a couple times this season for me to see his value ahead of DLO.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. Ingram
2. Dlo
3. Jules
4. Zubac
5. Nance or JC.

Randle lower than Zubac knowing what we know right now?
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

I would rank our young core higher.

- we have promising player in all 5 positions: C: Zubac, Black, PF: Randle, Nance, SF: Ingram, SG: Clarkson, PG: Russell
- we have multiple players who could run the play which could make us one of the best passing/offensive teams
- we have players who could be unstoppable in Ingram and Russell, with their length and scoring skills, to carry the offense as well

76ers may have best front court in Embiid and Simmons but no good wing players and PG. Timberwolves have players who could score in the post and on the wing but they are not good passers. Other team don't have unstoppable scorer.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

So about a month ago you said Jules and Ingram were playing terribly. Now all of a sudden they're "living up to their potential" while Dlo is a concern? Interesting.

A month ago Ingram was just effort, he is clearly turning the corner posting better shooting numbers than other high picks while impacting the game with his D showing also very good passing skills for a forward. We couldn't tell it before without being called homers.

I don't agree about Julius, he still has so many ups and downs and his game is not polished at all. One day he can finish around the basket and shoot the ball, other day he can't do anything. What scares me is that it doesn't matter if he is making or missing, his stroke, touch and form look awkward. His strength and speed for someone with his mass are unmatched, but at this point that is it and of course he is a great rebounder and very good pushing the tempo in transition.

Russell is a good and skilled player, he is taking better care of the ball something I really appreciate. It is a shame he is slumping so badly with his shot because what he does best is scoring. He is ok moving the ball, but definitely is not a passing savant and his impact on D is negative most nights. I believe he is going to overcome his shooting woes and with the years he should develop his PG skills. I was never a believer of his defensive upside, I would be shocked if he proves me wrong.

I love all the late picks we kept, they all play way above the level you could expect.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

I'd put minny at 1 just because of KAT, he is a budding super star
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

Embiid's defense is on another level. I'd put him above Towns based solely on that.

Last edited by USCandLakers on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Embiid's defense is on another level. I'd put him above Towns based solely on that.

Only equalizer is health. If health Embiid is a monster.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Only equalizer is health. If health Embiid is a monstar.

Fixed.

If Towns ups that defense he'll be one too.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

Sina wrote:

I would rank our young core higher.

- we have promising player in all 5 positions: C: Zubac, Black, PF: Randle, Nance, SF: Ingram, SG: Clarkson, PG: Russell

Even better, I believe these players fit well together. I just hope Clarkson and Russell become, at least, average defenders so they can share the backcourt. If all these players evolve as expected, the only missing part will be a great defending G coming from the bench.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

I would go

1. Ingram
2. Randle
3. Zubac
4. Russell
5. Clarkson/Nance

Russell worries me to be honest. I see the flashes from the 1-3 guys, although Randle seems to be approaching that "will he be able to consistently bring it?" Decision point for management.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13
Jump to: