White Chocolate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: White Chocolate

Gimme some takes on the lad. Rarely does any new kid on the block (in that he looked like a Wahlberg) come into the league and compile this solid of a highlight package. What did you think of him at the time, what were your thots about him on Sac, etc. He remind you of anyone since his time?

Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

OG. He reminded me of White Mike (RIP) from the Wayans bros show on channel 5.

Jason and Vlade were the only two players that I loved on that team filled with hateable mugs.

He's a good dude and a really solid family man.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

He was a fun and flashy player in the early part of his career, getting a lot of notoriety for his street ball style play. He actually became better and more effective when he toned that stuff down.

So I'd say the early part of his career was more about showing off. The later part of his career was more about trying to win basketball games. And ironically once he started doing that, he became a less popular player with fans
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
He was a fun and flashy player in the early part of his career, getting a lot of notoriety for his street ball style play. He actually became better and more effective when he toned that stuff down.

So I'd say the early part of his career was more about showing off. The later part of his career was more about trying to win basketball games. And ironically once he started doing that, he became a less popular player with fans

cause he went from White Chocolate to Jason Williams. There's a bunch of Jason Williams in NBA but only one White Chocolate
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

For a guy who used to run with Randy Moss, he was exactly as AV described over the arc of his career ... oh, yeah ... NBA champion, too.

Pistol Pete-adjacent ... ?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

He was Pistol Pete that couldn't shoot efficiently.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Amazingly fun player. Also amazingly flawed. He had some truly remarkable passes and was must watch tv, but he would also have some mind boggling terrible turnovers a couple times a game. And as much as he was touted as a passer, he also had zero conscience as a shooter. He would shoot the same shots as Curry does now, but without nearly the same efficiency and, this might be my memory being flawed, at a higher rate. I swear Jason Williams would brick at least two horrible pull up threes in transition from thirty feet a game. If he actually managed to hit one, god help his team, because that ball would be going up way more after that.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

Ron Harper routinely melted that chocolate.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Amazingly fun player. Also amazingly flawed. He had some truly remarkable passes and was must watch tv, but he would also have some mind boggling terrible turnovers a couple times a game. And as much as he was touted as a passer, he also had zero conscience as a shooter. He would shoot the same shots as Curry does now, but without nearly the same efficiency and, this might be my memory being flawed, at a higher rate. I swear Jason Williams would brick at least two horrible pull up threes in transition from thirty feet a game. If he actually managed to hit one, god help his team, because that ball would be going up way more after that.

Have you watched Steph. He also has some of those mind boggling terrible turnovers. Bob Cousy, Pete Maravich, Magic Johnson, most fancy passers have them.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Great empty stats guy. Bibby made that Sac team way better.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: White Chocolate

non-player zealot wrote:
Gimme some takes on the lad. Rarely does any new kid on the block (in that he looked like a Wahlberg) come into the league and compile this solid of a highlight package. What did you think of him at the time, what were your thots about him on Sac, etc. He remind you of anyone since his time?

he was the closest to magic since magic. people will say nash or stockton or something, but it was this guy. again, most (especially here) will only feel comfortable looking at it numerically. numerically, he is another forgotten player. in reality, he was a gifted passer, and a good player, who got a lot of bad publicity just like you are hearing here regarding turnovers and what not.

VERY similar to our version of this, Nick van Exel (minus the super fancy passing). A fun guy, unfairly berated far too much. Put rookie NVE or Jason as a rookie in 2014, and they would thrive, all star level players. Especially on a good team.

also...lets say it, racism. white guy passing like magic. nope, sorry, not going to jive on a super popular level. dont know why, its just the way it is. Pistol Pete looked goofy and moppy, Jason looks like a tatted white trash. Nash and Stockton were able to pull it off, why? By doing what the sterotypical white man loves...all business, workman like, no nonsense passing.

btw, I'm sure this is somewhat related, but Jason is part of the new 3on3 league, and I am very happy about that.

Things he does better than lebron: pass. running a break. enjoyable to watch.
ClemensBriels
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: White Chocolate

SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

he was the closest to magic since magic. people will say nash or stockton or something, but it was this guy. again, most (especially here) will only feel comfortable looking at it numerically. numerically, he is another forgotten player. in reality, he was a gifted passer, and a good player, who got a lot of bad publicity just like you are hearing here regarding turnovers and what not.

VERY similar to our version of this, Nick van Exel (minus the super fancy passing). A fun guy, unfairly berated far too much. Put rookie NVE or Jason as a rookie in 2014, and they would thrive, all star level players. Especially on a good team.

also...lets say it, racism. white guy passing like magic. nope, sorry, not going to jive on a super popular level. dont know why, its just the way it is. Pistol Pete looked goofy and moppy, Jason looks like a tatted white trash. Nash and Stockton were able to pull it off, why? By doing what the sterotypical white man loves...all business, workman like, no nonsense passing.

btw, I'm sure this is somewhat related, but Jason is part of the new 3on3 league, and I am very happy about that.

I can't believe that for a second there I thought you weren't gonna compare Jason (bleep) Williams to LeBron. Shame on me
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: White Chocolate

ClemensBriels wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I can't believe that for a second there I thought you weren't gonna compare Jason (bleep) Williams to LeBron. Shame on me

just pointing out yet another no name player who can play better than lebron, that's all. you keeping track or should i?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: White Chocolate

SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

So let me get this straight, he's better than Nash and Stockton but the only reason he isn't perceived as being better... is because he's white? Or is that why people think LeBron's better than him? Cause he's white?

Facts of the matter are that he was a flashy average NBA player. Has nothing to do with race.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

He definitely had a combination of flair and boldness that's not that common in the NBA, and he did it for a franchise at the right time, when they absolutely needed something to be excited about. Him and Webber had great chemistry too, so that kind of helped Webber grow emotionally invested in that team. He wasn't a great player, but he's super special in the eyes of Kings fans, because of a more intangible spark he made for their one relatively successful period in their franchise. If he had a better jump shot, and was a smarter "quarterback," then he could've been a great PG.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: White Chocolate

BigGameHames wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

So let me get this straight, he's better than Nash and Stockton but the only reason he isn't perceived as being better... is because he's white? Or is that why people think LeBron's better than him? Cause he's white?

Facts of the matter are that he was a flashy average NBA player. Has nothing to do with race.

really?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: White Chocolate

BigGameHames wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Here's the real story:Williams was popular because he was flashy. Stockton was more respected because he was more effective.

In his best season, Williams put up 15-8 on 38% shooting (and 30%) on threes. During his "flashy" period, Williams' team were well below .500 and he only made it out of the first round once. He won a ring late in his career with Miami long after he had toned down his play and was just a run-of-the-mill, non-flashy guard.

In his best season, Stockton put up 17-15 on 51% shooting (and 41%) on threes. His teams were successful year after year.

The notion that this is a race issue is ridiculous.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: White Chocolate

activeverb wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

In his best season, Williams put up 15-8 on 38% shooting (and 30%) on threes.

In his best season, Stockton put up 17-15 on 51% shooting (and 41%) on threes.

Williams was popular because he was flashy. Stockton was more respected because he was more effective.

his freaking nickname is white chocolate.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: White Chocolate

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

In his best season, Williams put up 15-8 on 38% shooting (and 30%) on threes.

In his best season, Stockton put up 17-15 on 51% shooting (and 41%) on threes.

Williams was popular because he was flashy. Stockton was more respected because he was more effective.

his freaking nickname is white chocolate.

You're right -- he played in a style that was considered black for the time. The notion that this was the reason he wasn't respected was what I found ridiculous.

By that reasoning, Pete Maravich shouldn't have made all-NBA teams. I mean why would they vote for a flashy white guy when they could pick a workmanlike white guy instead? ... Oh, because Maravich led the league in scoring.
ClemensBriels
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Jason Williams in his best season shot 38%? Lol that explains why Superboy likes him so much
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

JW has a young son that could turn out to be a pretty good player.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: White Chocolate

SuperboyReformed wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

really?

What are you responding to? Me disproving your race claim? Or me calling you out for your blatant(and ignorant) Lebron hate?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Just heard on Area 21 he was originally called Pearl.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

He's on Inside the NBA tonight with KG (that Area 21 thing). He looks good save for the makeup artist who did him wrong lol
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
He's on Inside the NBA tonight with KG (that Area 21 thing). He looks good save for the makeup artist who did him wrong lol

is this a picture of it?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UOCgXr4lrco/hqdefault.jpg
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: