STATE OF THE LAKERS: Where Are We Now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: STATE OF THE LAKERS: Where Are We Now?

The FO needs to make a paradigm shift in their thinking and philosophy if they want to bring the Lakers back to respectability.
They have to shake things up and think outside of the box.
The FO needs to figure out how to navigate the new CBA and use it to their advantage or we will keep making the same mistakes that got us to this point in the first place. Feel free to discuss.
Here are a few good reads about the current "State of the Lakers."

*Lakers navigate a sobering, somber (and educational) post-Kobe Bryant path
Quote:
"L.A.'s young talent is learning some hard NBA lessons after a promising start to 2016-17"

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/01/23/morning-tip-los-angeles-lakers-young-team-navigating-nba-waters?collection=david-aldridge

* Where Are We: From Autopsy to Assessment of the Lakers Future

Quote:
Where are we? How did we get here? And where are going?
The fundamental questions of theology hang over this Lakers season, particularly as the losses mount. The team is in the midst of perhaps their most interesting rebuild, at least that most of us have experienced. Through a perfect storm of disasters, lottery luck, and drafting prowess, the team has gathered a deep and diverse collection of young players, who we now watch find their way through fascinating and usually frustrating games.

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/01/18/where-are-we-from-autopsy-to-assessment-of-the-lakers-future/#more-21580

*Tank Watch: It’s time for the Lakers to embrace the tank

Quote:
"Their record has shockingly put the team in range to keep their 2017 draft pick."

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/1/23/14355640/la-lakers-nba-draft-lottery-odds-top-three-protection-nba-draft-2017-tanking-philadelphia-76ers

*3 Trade Deadline Targets at Shooting Guard
Quote:
With the trade deadline just a month away, we’re taking the next few weeks to break down trade targets at every position for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Last week we toyed with the idea of D’Angelo Russell moving to shooting guard for fun. However, my belief is that Russell is indeed still the go-to option at point guard for the Lakers going forward.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2017/01/23/lakers-3-trade-deadline-targets-at-shooting-guard/

Last edited by pio2u on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

I've said a few years ago that I was going to have an open mind about Jim Buss taking over. I think I said in 2014 I would give him 3 seasons.

We are halfway done with the 3rd season and things are looking pretty rough. Either give the vote of confidence to the current FO or clean house (and who knows what comes in with a new regime, always a gamble).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

Lakers still #3 in overall team merchandise sold.

No Lakers player in top 15 in jerseys sold.

Kind of describes our state of the union right now.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

Luke hire buys the FO some time, IMO. Things look rough right now but it takes a while to build from the bottom up. We're just in one of the uglier phases of the turnaround.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject:

Obviously we are a few years away from having a good play-off team but I believe that the FO did a good job in selecting the the young players that we have.
It looks almost dismal right now but on down the road the young core should develop into a cohesive unit even if none of the turn out to be a super star.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

Well, I think we've hit a bit of a low point in our rebuild. Coming off the franchise's worst loss, and having won only 6 games since the end of November and we're nearly in February.

Which is actually sad because last season, we had won 7 games between the end of November and two weeks ago.

We are just not seeing the type of incremental improvement we should be. We aren't getting better as a team, we are getting progressively worse. When you have a team of young players, that really shouldn't happen.

I think it's too early to shake thing up too much, but things need to change and it needs to change right now. Maybe we should try different lineups, different rotations, or cut back the vets minutes if we're just going to suck and get the young kids reps for the remainder of the season.

But whatever we're doing -- isn't actually working, we're holding on to the first 20 games of the season as a ray of hope, but I really want to see the players develop in spite of the wins. I just don't feel like I'm seeing that although Ingram is now rounding in to much, much better form the last month or so.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

There's an interesting quote from Jordan Clarkson on that NBA.com article:

Quote:
“This is the first time that we’ve been able to kind of learn from our mistakes, play with each other, learn with each other. The last two years that I’ve been here, we’ve kind of had to deal with situations. At the same time, it was all deserved. But now it’s kind of our time to turn the page and just learn.”

Our rebuilding started this year. Unfortunately, our 3rd and 2nd year players (Randle, Clarkson, Russell) are basically rookies because Byron simply couldn't teach them anything.
The players are learning, the coach is learning.

I didn't like the hiring of Mike Brown, nor Mike D'Antoni. I don't like those Mozgov and Deng contracts. I'm not happy about being swept by the freaking Mavs this season. But even after all that bullsh*t and losing seasons, we still have a great young core and some cap flexibility for our next free agency.

I think that this core (Russell, Ingram, Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Zubac) is a unique combination of talent and have a great chance to succeed under Walton, and I'm willing to give them 2 more years to get to .500 basketball, and to decide whether I want Jim Buss gone or not.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

Rock bottom again. Hate to say it but we should continue to lose to get that pick. We're close again.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

The good:
- We have an imperfect but competent coach who has changed a lot of the game and vibes around the Lakers
- Randle made significant steps forward, Russell has improved as a point guard
- There is the skeleton of a strong offense on this team
- They've had a lot more close games than the past couple of seasons, they're competing every night except when they play the Mavs lmao
- Games are fun to watch
- Ingram is improving
- Nick Young's resurgence is a feel-good storyilne
- Good team chemistry
- They're in a position to keep a top 3 pick
- The Lakers have had MOMENTS as a team, good moments, like Randle clashing with Boogie and Tyson Chandler, gutting out a win vs Atlanta, even Luke getting ejected lol, they're having moments illustrating team growth, they're feisty and fun, there is a team personality and culture here that I hope doesn't die through the losing

The bad
- They're in a position to keep a top 3 pick
- Next season, the Lakers will need competent defensive players and coaching
- The Mozgov and Deng contracts were brutal misfires and will impact the team down the road when they want to add talent after paying their young players
- The Jim Buss drama is a bad look and makes the Lakers look unstable
- They're not a free agent destination yet, and will likely look the same next season unless there's a shakeup
- None of their young players look like superstars on Embiid, KAT, or Porzingis' level. It's too early to say they'll never get there, but they're currently in a lower tier of player and it makes me a little nervous.
- As much as he's improved as a point guard, D'Angelo hasn't taken the steps forward a lot of us expected for the number 2 overall pick. He has all the time in the world to get there, but I did expect more.
- Ingram is farther behind than I think a lot of us expected
- JC regressing
- There's not a tighter leash on the vets when they play selfishly or make mistakes, but young guys are pulled after just a couple mistakes. Double standard in coaching here that reminds me of someone... hmm
- The roster construct is terrible

Last edited by justsomelakerfan on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

We are not in the worst place possible, we are currently selling hope. It is definitely not selling championships, or even selling the future yet. At the same time we have enough young talent and potential upcoming draft picks, that we can sell hope.

Examples

Selling Championships - Feel they can win a championship this year if a few things go their way - GSW, SAS, Cleveland, Boston, Houston, Toronto, LAC

Selling the Future - Enough proven talent still young enough to improve & looking to add a piece(s) to get to next level - Bucks, Utah, Denver, OKC

Selling Hope - Youthful core, but more than a piece(s) away and not proven the ability to win - still have flexibility - Lakers, PHX, 76'ers, TWolves

Selling Mediocrity - Mature core that does not appear capable of achieving home court playoff series - Knicks, Bulls, Dallas

Selling Future Hope - no real core, mish mash of youth and vets, losing and limited assets in near future - Brooklyn, Sacramento

May be varying opinions on where a team belongs, but this is basically in order how I view teams...obviously a FO prefers Selling Championships the most, and the least optimal position is Selling Future Hope.

Last edited by adkindo on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: STATE OF THE LAKERS: Where Are We?

pio2u wrote:
The FO needs to make a paradigm shift in their thinking and philosophy if they want to bring the Lakers back to respectability.
They have to shake things up and think outside of the box. /

I have no idea what "shake things up" and "think outside of the box" means in this context. I don't think there is some secret strategy that will propel the rebuild faster.

We're at a point where some people are saying, "Why isn't this over yet,"
and some people are saying, "We've just begun."

We are playing about as badly as I expected. It's not clear to me whether the core we have today will be the core for the future. I don't think this is going to quick or pretty.

Most of the recent ring teams suck for a long while after their titles -- the Bulls, the Heat, the Spurs. What we are going through is actually pretty typical.

It's the new NBA, where the advantages we had in the past no longer exist. And there isn't a simple or easy way to restore our competitive advantage.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

We started at the bottom 4 years ago, and we're still here.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject:

Year 1 of a stinking rebuild after wasting three years. We know how JC is gonna turn out but the rest are too young to know what type of BBall players they are. We have no idea of Luke's system either since it relies on too much ISO ball. Should have gotten rid of Lou ASAP just to make sure ball movement is always a priority. I don't care if they win games but you better stress team basketball because there is not one player on this roster that deserves numerous iso plays every damn game.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Year 1 of a stinking rebuild after wasting three years. We know how JC is gonna turn out but the rest are too young to know what type of BBall players they are. We have no idea of Luke's system either since it relies on too much ISO ball. Should have gotten rid of Lou ASAP just to make sure ball movement is always a priority. I don't care if they win games but you better stress team basketball because there is not one player on this roster that deserves numerous iso plays every damn game.

The 2nd unit ISO stretches get a long leash.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

It appears that the team has hit a "wall." After a fast start the team has fallen on hard times. There are no quick fixes for this team, especially this season.

We need a proven star or two but we also need to keep our picks because of the way that the new CBA is structured.

We have quite a dilemma brewing, in that, we possibly will have to give Orlando a first-round pick ('19) from the Howard trade.
To compound the matter, this pick is also tied to the protected pick that we owe to Philly ('17).

However if we somehow keep the protected pick we also get to keep the 2019 first-round pick while only owing a pair of second-rounders to Orlando.
In this case the '18 first round pick then goes to Philly.

Whew, what a tangled web, I'm sure the FO will be glad when the Steve Nash and Dwight Howard debacles are finally in our rear view mirror.

In short these are critical decisions that the FO must give serious thought to because the end result of the '17 draft lottery will dictate if L.A. loses two of its next three first-round picks.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

One frustrating tidbit about Luke (and typically a lot of coaches) is the disproportionate amount of "leash" or leeway that is given to veteran players as opposed to young players.

I understand DLO/Ingram/Jules, etc. need to learn good habits now lest they become permanent.

However, when you're stressing ball movement and selflessness and the ball rarely moves in the 2nd unit, or there are terrible defensive lapses with veterans, I don't see them getting yanked (while our young guys typically do). They are allowed to work the problem out (which is usually never worked out anyways).

I don't think Luke's system is an ISO-heavy one but with Lou/JC it's becoming one (since they get nearly equal minutes with DLO/Swaggy).
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
One frustrating tidbit about Luke (and typically a lot of coaches) is the disproportionate amount of "leash" or leeway that is given to veteran players as opposed to young players.

I understand DLO/Ingram/Jules, etc. need to learn good habits now lest they become permanent.

However, when you're stressing ball movement and selflessness and the ball rarely moves in the 2nd unit, or there are terrible defensive lapses with veterans, I don't see them getting yanked (while our young guys typically do). They are allowed to work the problem out (which is usually never worked out anyways).

I don't think Luke's system is an ISO-heavy one but with Lou/JC it's becoming one (since they get nearly equal minutes with DLO/Swaggy).

I'm disappointed he hasn't destroyed the gunning in the 2nd unit. The differences in the amount of leash certain players get is probably my biggest Luke criticism, over minutes or rotations or anything else. I feel like he could be a hardass about that and he's not. I hate watching Lou and JC basically battle for shots and shut out Ingram in the 2nd unit. Isn't he supposed to be building a foundation of team basketball?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: STATE OF THE LAKERS: Where Are We?

activeverb wrote:
pio2u wrote:

I have no idea what "shake things up" and "think outside of the box" means in this context. I don't think there is some secret strategy that will propel the rebuild faster.

We are playing about as badly as I expected. It's not clear to me whether the core we have today will be the core for the future. I don't think this is going to quick or pretty.

Most of the recent ring teams suck for a long while after their titles -- the Bulls, the Heat, the Spurs. What we are going through is actually pretty typical.

It's the new NBA, where the advantages we had in the past no longer exist. And there isn't a simple or easy way to restore our competitive advantage.

All this means is that the FO has work to do and it's up to them to come up with viable plans and solutions.
All we can do is speculate and hope, the real task is in the hands of the FO, coaches and players.

There is no silver bullet; it's all about the rebuild and I'm sure everyone has come to that realization.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm disappointed he hasn't destroyed the gunning in the 2nd unit. The differences in the amount of leash certain players get is probably my biggest Luke criticism, over minutes or rotations or anything else. I feel like he could be a hardass about that and he's not. I hate watching Lou and JC basically battle for shots and shut out Ingram in the 2nd unit. Isn't he supposed to be building a foundation of team basketball?

One can credibly argue that the bench has carried this team (even though the starting unit surprisingly has a decent net rating, relatively speaking).

However, I always thought it wasn't sustainable and of late, it's not a winning formula, yet it's constantly used as a crutch. Not sure I like the JC/Lou pairing going forward at all.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
We started at the bottom 4 years ago, and we're still here.

Get used to it. We have a way to go. Kobe is not coming back or Lebron is not coming to LA.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

There really is only one reasonable way to get better...obtain young talent and develop them. You cannot win in this league with a singe star...just ask Chicago, New Orleans and Sacramento, which is why I am not for trading several of our young players for one, which would likely be more All Star, and less All Pro anyway. Also, even trading for someone that is 27 or 28 is unlikely to work, because they are on the clock, and you would have to be ready to surround them immediately with another star and capable talent to compete. The league has changed, especially the path to being a contender....there is no magic wand for the FO to waive therefore I pray they do nothing stupid, because we are on the path...maybe not that far down it, but a dumb move by the FO seeking 5-10 more wins will do nothing except likely cause us to start the path over in a year or two. I am less concerned about my patience than I am the FO's ability to remain patient....which seems opposite of how it should be.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
There really is only one reasonable way to get better...obtain young talent and develop them. You cannot win in this league with a singe star...just ask Chicago, New Orleans and Sacramento, which is why I am not for trading several of our young players for one, which would likely be more All Star, and less All Pro anyway. Also, even trading for someone that is 27 or 28 is unlikely to work, because they are on the clock, and you would have to be ready to surround them immediately with another star and capable talent to compete. The league has changed, especially the path to being a contender....there is no magic wand for the FO to waive therefore I pray they do nothing stupid, because we are on the path...maybe not that far down it, but a dumb move by the FO seeking 5-10 more wins will do nothing except likely cause us to start the path over in a year or two. I am less concerned about my patience than I am the FO's ability to remain patient....which seems opposite of how it should be.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

I will take "sports clichés" for $1,000, Alex.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: STATE OF THE LAKERS: Where Are We?

activeverb wrote:
pio2u wrote:

I'd argue there was an easier way to regain our competitive advantage than the way we've been doing it, but that path was shut thanks to some previous FO decisions (namely, their strategy to try and take the quick and easy way out). Imagine if we hadn't jumped on Dwight and Nash, shipped Pau and Lamar, and let Kobe go after his injury. The first few years would have been miserable, but we'd probably be in a much better place now than we are currently. As it stands, we have a good while yet before we reach anything close to the unexpected run we had in 2007-2008.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It's generally a weakness in Luke's style; something he was criticized for in Oakland as well. He'd give guys like Draymond leeway as a method of maintaining peace in the locker room, whereas Kerr told Draymond to go (bleep) himself when he had to. Now you can argue whether Luke or Kerr's strategy is more effective for Draymond, but Luke clearly has a tendency to be more buddy buddy with the vets and the more confrontational/needy players in order to gain their loyalty. The downside is that, while this might maintain those guys' respect, the younger, more introverted guys might feel left out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: