ESPN cancels "The Sports Reporters" after nearly 30 years on air

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: ESPN cancels "The Sports Reporters" after nearly 30 years on air

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/01/23/espn-cancels-sports-reporters

Quote:
ESPN canceling The Sports Reporters after nearly 30 years on air

ESPN is canceling The Sports Reporters, SI.com has learned. The show is expected to end in May, just shy of 30 years on the air.

ESPN, through a spokesman, declined to comment.

The long-running sports talk show began in 1988 and was a forerunner of the flood of shows that run in most major cities featuring members of the media debating, discussing and bloviating the news and issues of the week. What set the show apart—outside of many egoists that floated as panelists—was two hosts that gave the show gravitas: Dick Schaap, who hosted from 1989 to 2001; and John Saunders, who hosted from 2001 until his death in 2016.

ESPN will replace The Sports Reporters with an hour-long version of E:60, its long-running sports journalism magazine show. Outside The Lines is also expected to have a role in that show.

No panelist appeared on the show more than Mike Lupica, who is serving as the current host. Other sports media members who often took up residency included Mitch Albom, Bob Ryan, William C. Rhoden, the late Bryan Burwell, John Feinstein, and Bill Conlin, the disgraced Philadelphia columnist sports columnist who was accused of molesting children as far back as the 1970s prior to his death in 2014.

For years the show featured no women as regular panelists. That improved marginally in the last couple of years.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Seriously never heard of it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

I used to watch about 10-15 years ago. It was a welcome break from Sports Center, even if it was mostly a bunch of baseball purists waxing poetic about entertainment.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

It ran at an odd time, like Sunday morning. I never watched more than a few minutes of it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It ran at an odd time, like Sunday morning. I never watched more than a few minutes of it.

7 AM I believe.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

7 AM I believe.

That must be left coast time. I am rarely conscious at 7 am.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Is this that awkward show where 4 guys sit in chairs and talk to each other?

I thought it was a weird experiment they were trying, and found it hard to watch.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject:

I watched it a few times over the years. With a show like that, you either have to have interesting personalities, or great insight. The show provided neither. I fail to see what the target demographic is.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Is this that awkward show where 4 guys sit in chairs and talk to each other?

I thought it was a weird experiment they were trying, and found it hard to watch.

Yep, it was an "old style" panel show with 4 chairs in a half circle. It was like watching Dick Cavett. The other thing is the timeslot. Early Sunday morn? Ugh. Only times I've ever watched it was by fate -- being awake and channel surfing. It was aite, same basic fodder you'd hear on sports radio. They had an Andy Rooney complaint segment where all 4 would lodge a (mostly) "older dude" gripe about the current condition of the sports world. That's a pretty good indication of their main segment of viewers, imo (probably a lot of newspaper readers in there -- not online readers...physical paper readers).
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject:

I thought it was kind of similar to some of the afternoon shows they would run like Pardon the Interruption except there were more people offering opinions and they got to go into a little more detail about the topics they discussed. I found it interesting enough to watch for at least a few minutes once in a while. It's not like there is usually much else on during Sunday morning unless it's football season.

However, I was never a regular viewer. It was just something I might catch on a Sunday morning when I was flipping thru the channels and the ESPN channels are often the first channels I take a look at.

I thought it was a much better show than First Take when it had Skip Bayless on it. But that's a very low standard.

This show was more serious than some of the other shows that showed people talking about sports. I don't remember seeing people screaming at each other on this show as much as on many of the other shows on ESPN.
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

It was a good show back in the day when ESPN just reported news.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: