The True Anti-Tank Missile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:

There weren't tank threads because we were going to keep our pick regardless. We can only keep our pick this year if it lands 1-3, that's a big difference. If there weren't stipulations on our pick, or better protection, I doubt you would see a 58 page tank thread.

exactly.....very few LG'ers would support tanking if it was between the 7th pick and the 3rd.....or if it did not involve the 2019 1st Round pick also.

We would all be excited to get a Jonathan Isaac, Malik Monk or whatever player was available at that pick. Also, I think the pro tank group would be cut in half if it simply was only about this year or next year.

But its not....it is almost zero sum @ this point....get a top 3 pick this year and a likely mid round pick in 2019 vs. only getting a late lottery or mid round pick in 2018.

Yea if we were keeping our pick I wouldn't be cheering for the tank. There's also the 2019 pick. With the new CBA...we NEED these assets.

Why? So you can root for those players to also learn nothing but losing? Why bring in young players if all you are going to do is teach them that it is okay to lose? That makes absolutely no sense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Note: The same people screaming TANK every year are usually the same people that are impatient as [expletive] with the progression of our young talent, so much so that they look for quick fixes. So it's a bit of an oxymoron to not be able to deal with the process of a player growing and coming into their own fast enough so the solution is to try to get an even younger player who will take even more time to progress.

This is 100% true.

Each year folks want a 19 year old. We draft said 19 year old and the impatience begins...and the cycle repeats.

What % of the tank brigade would you say this applies to ?

I feel like a lot of the tank crew members like myself want to land potential stars in the lotto and then want to see them develop into stars as Lakers. By definition, that's a long-term approach, but I think it's by far the best approach, especially given the new CBA.

The impatient people are the ones constantly looking for the team to deal for guys like Boogie.

Every poster that wants to tank. You either want to win or you want to lose, there is no middle ground. And thanks to those "fans" the past 3 seasons, we have talented young players that think it is fine to lose. And you want to add more.

And to top it off, this is an anti-tank thread, so take your losing ways and keep it in the tank thread.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject:

I wonder if the Lakers FO has accepted the likely reality that the playoffs are not happening. We are what, 7 games out of the 8th seed? But prorate that over 82 games and we are double digits out of the 8th seed.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I wonder if the Lakers FO has accepted the likely reality that the playoffs are not happening. We are what, 7 games out of the 8th seed? But prorate that over 82 games and we are double digits out of the 8th seed.

I think they've accepted it. They won't outright tank, but the way the season is trending, they'd be moronic to think that PO's are even remotely possible.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

7 games out of the playoffs with 6 teams ahead of us.

29 games to go.

Making the playoffs would require several teams to go into all-out tank mode while we start playing like we did in the first month of the season.

Judging from the comments about the coaching staff wanting to give the young guys more minutes, it sounds like they know the playoffs are out.

I don't want to trade Lou but I'm open to Young since he'll opt out. He can be of help to a playoff team looking to add scoring off the bench. I'll take a 2nd rounder for him.

Just sit Lou and/or play him 10-15mpg.

That's really all we need to do to tank. Not much else.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
7 games out of the playoffs with 6 teams ahead of us.

29 games to go.

Making the playoffs would require several teams to go into all-out tank mode while we start playing like we did in the first month of the season.

Judging from the comments about the coaching staff wanting to give the young guys more minutes, it sounds like they know the playoffs are out.

I don't want to trade Lou but I'm open to Young since he'll opt out. He can be of help to a playoff team looking to add scoring off the bench. I'll take a 2nd rounder for him.

Just sit Lou and/or play him 10-15mpg.

That's really all we need to do to tank. Not much else.

I know 7 games does not sound like a lot, but just consider Miami is on a 10 game winning streak and still a couple games out of playoffs in East. Honestly, we would have to win 16 of the next 20 to really get back into contention....and beyond the Warriors and Spurs, that is pretty unreasonable for any team.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Fracture wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:

There weren't tank threads because we were going to keep our pick regardless. We can only keep our pick this year if it lands 1-3, that's a big difference. If there weren't stipulations on our pick, or better protection, I doubt you would see a 58 page tank thread.

exactly.....very few LG'ers would support tanking if it was between the 7th pick and the 3rd.....or if it did not involve the 2019 1st Round pick also.

We would all be excited to get a Jonathan Isaac, Malik Monk or whatever player was available at that pick. Also, I think the pro tank group would be cut in half if it simply was only about this year or next year.

But its not....it is almost zero sum @ this point....get a top 3 pick this year and a likely mid round pick in 2019 vs. only getting a late lottery or mid round pick in 2018.

Yea if we were keeping our pick I wouldn't be cheering for the tank. There's also the 2019 pick. With the new CBA...we NEED these assets.

Why? So you can root for those players to also learn nothing but losing? Why bring in young players if all you are going to do is teach them that it is okay to lose? That makes absolutely no sense.

I think it's the fact that keeping the pick this year means we keep what is likely to be another lotto pick 2 years later. It would just be extra painful this year.

And honestly I don't think keeping the lotto pick and instilling a winning attitude are mutually exclusive.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject:

A thread to embrace the wins or jinx them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: