Knicks offering Carmelo Anthony to Clippers for Jamal Crawford and Austin Rivers; Doc doesn't want to trade son
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Knicks offering Carmelo Anthony to Clippers for Jamal Crawford and Austin Rivers; Doc doesn't want to trade son

Knicks open to dealing Carmelo Anthony to Clippers even if trade doesn't include one of L.A.'s Big 3

The Knicks and Clippers are discussing a deal for Carmelo Anthony that does not include Chris Paul, Blake Griffin or DeAndre Jordan going to New York, the Daily News has learned.

The Knicks, according to a source, are open to trading Anthony to Los Angeles even if they don't get one of the Clippers' Big 3 in return.

In fact, the Knicks are prohibited from acquiring Blake Griffin due to a complicated rule in the collective bargaining agreement. The rule states that a team cannot have two Designated Rookie Max extensions on your roster acquired via a trade at any time. Derrick Rose falls under that category.

In order to do so the Clippers would have to trade approximately $27 million in salary to fit Anthony under their cap.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-deal-carmelo-anthony-celtics-clippers-article-1.2956386

Then:
On Knicks wanting Austin Rivers
Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN
Yes, the Knicks met with Austin Rivers last July in Orlando.

Then..

Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN
If Doc Rivers trades his son to the Knicks he can forget about ever winning "Father of the Year." Ain't happening.

Incarcerated Bob ‏@incarceratedbob
**BREAKING NBA NEWS**
Source: Knicks turned down trade offer from Clippers that involved Carmelo Anthony for @AustinRivers25 & @JCrossover

So essentially Phil is like

Hey Doc.. we'll give you Melo for Crawford and Austin Rivers

Thus giving you a starting lineup of

Chris Paul
JJ Redick
Carmelo Anthony
Blake Griffin
Deandre Jordan

How about it?

Doc Rivers: Sorry, Austin's gonna lead this team to a championship, but thanks for the thought.

Unless Chris Paul goes to Doc and goes "You say no to this trade.. you can say goodbye to me in the off-season." And Blake follows up with a deep voiced "Yeah." then Doc isn't moving on it.

Smart GM that Doc Rivers...smart GM.....
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Are we sure Incarcerated Bob is a credible source?

As to the rumor, Crawford, Rivers, and a pick is about the best Phil is going to get. If Doc is going to turn that deal down because of the optics involving his son then he should be fired. Not including Rivers makes the deal with LAC difficult. They could do Crawford, Pierce, Wes, 1st. Pretty awful haul, but Phil is just about out of options.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hx8ek2q

Knicks get shooters to spread the floor.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Why not trade both Rose and Melo and just tank the rest of the way? I know Rose has been playing well but if the goal is to build around KP, does a 29 year old Rose on a new deal really make sense next season?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Why not trade both Rose and Melo and just tank the rest of the way? I know Rose has been playing well but if the goal is to build around KP, does a 29 year old Rose on a new deal really make sense next season?

The challenges of trading Melo are well documented. I don't know who can or would trade for Rose. Probably best to just let him expire.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

The challenges of trading Melo are well documented. I don't know who can or would trade for Rose. Probably best to just let him expire.

Mitch Kupchak, is that you?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Exactly what bounty do you think teams are going to fork over for a mediocre PG on an expiring deal making $21M?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:

BTW, why aren't the Clippers making this deal? They lose nothing really. They weren't going to compete with the Warriors before, now they might have a small chance.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Knicks offering Carmelo Anthony to Clippers for Jamal Crawford and Austin Rivers; Doc doesn't want to trade son

MJST wrote:
Source: Knicks turned down trade offer from Clippers that involved Carmelo Anthony for @AustinRivers25 & @JCrossover

If the Knicks turned down the offer, how is that Doc Rivers refusing to trade his son?
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

DJ. Or. Green
BG. KD
Melo. Klay
CP3. Steph

Lebron def gonna recruit Wade hard this summer if this trade goes down.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:
DJ. Or. Green
BG. KD
Melo. Klay
CP3. Steph

Wade's not what they need. He's on his last leg.

GS is loaded. Their starting four are all stars even though fans don't think so.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:
DJ. Or. Green
BG. KD
Melo. Klay
CP3. Steph

With what money? They couldn't sign him this summer because Wade wanted to get paid.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

Would Doc sacrifice his one and only son?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Doc 3:16
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

Would make for a hell of a Broadway play.

DOC: the GM, the Coach, the Father, the Man.

[Scene 5, floor soaked in blood and sweat as Doc the Father continues interrogating Doc the GM, while Doc the Coach and Man stand in the corner with arms folded].
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

My knicks fan friend is ready to jump ship to us (he lives out here) or quit following basketball altogether
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
if they went on to win a ring would Doc give him an honorary ring.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Exactly what bounty do you think teams are going to fork over for a mediocre PG on an expiring deal making $21M?

It's an expiring contract. Considering the Hawks just got a 1st for Korver, Rose should be able to fetch something. You let him expire you get nothing. I know you had to call him mediocre to make your point stronger, but come on.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

So the Knicks are going to tank again?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

b-b-b-but Phil needs to come back
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

It's an expiring contract. Considering the Hawks just got a 1st for Korver, Rose should be able to fetch something. You let him expire you get nothing. I know you had to call him mediocre to make your point stronger, but come on.

I didn't mean to impugn the indisputable talent of Derrick Rose.

The differences between Korver and Rose should be pretty evident to you if you had even a casual relationship with the CBA. Atlanta received a protected 1st, which is a great return on someone they didn't intend to re-sign. Korver has value as a role player to an already championship ready team and can slot in easy, which is not the case with a moody guy who wants to start and get a lot of shots. Theres also the issue of the ease of trading for and absorbing Korver's $5M and finding a team that:

A) Has a need for a starting PG and thinks Derrick Rose is the answer
B) Has around $21M of contracts lying around that they don't want
C) Also has an attractive piece to make it attractive to the Knicks
D) Is willing to give up these things to acquire Rose, knowing he can bolt in a few months

I noticed you never answered exactly who would they trade with and what you expect to get. I know your shtick these days is the message board GM that's better than all the actual GMs, so the posture is required. By all means the Knicks should explore the burgeoning Derrick Rose trade market and if they can unload him for an asset thats great. That will prove to be quite difficult though for several reasons. If every team could get great assets for all their expiring contracts then every team would do it.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

It's what they always should have done. Phil, and several other Knick GMs before him, get hired and want to make a splash. They've never had the stomach for a rebuild. Dumping Melo is the right move, it's just a few years too late.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Melo isnt going to end well wherever he goes.

!...
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

I didn't mean to impugn the indisputable talent of Derrick Rose.

The differences between Korver and Rose should be pretty evident to you if you had even a casual relationship with the CBA. Atlanta received a protected 1st, which is a great return on someone they didn't intend to re-sign. Korver has value as a role player to an already championship ready team and can slot in easy, which is not the case with a moody guy who wants to start and get a lot of shots. Theres also the issue of the ease of trading for and absorbing Korver's $5M and finding a team that:

A) Has a need for a starting PG and thinks Derrick Rose is the answer
B) Has around $21M of contracts lying around that they don't want
C) Also has an attractive piece to make it attractive to the Knicks
D) Is willing to give up these things to acquire Rose, knowing he can bolt in a few months

I noticed you never answered exactly who would they trade with and what you expect to get. I know your shtick these days is the message board GM that's better than all the actual GMs, so the posture is required. By all means the Knicks should explore the burgeoning Derrick Rose trade market and if they can unload him for an asset thats great. That will prove to be quite difficult though for several reasons. If every team could get great assets for all their expiring contracts then every team would do it.

You have a well documented dishonest way of going about arguments on here, so I am not at all surprised you asked an impossible question, and then followed it up by pointing out your impossible question wasn't actually answered, in a quite obvious effort to inject your patented, gratuitous insult. Of course, having had the displeasure of partaking in "discussions" with you over the years, as well as simply sitting on the sidelines and watching, it was completely expected.

Quote:
By all means the Knicks should explore the burgeoning Derrick Rose trade market and if they can unload him for an asset thats great.

Well that matter is settled then, init?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: