Knicks offering Carmelo Anthony to Clippers for Jamal Crawford and Austin Rivers; Doc doesn't want to trade son
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hx8ek2q

Knicks get shooters to spread the floor.

If I'm the Knicks I'd ask for Redick in this deal, and one of either Rivers or Crawford. I have a sneaking suspicion that such a trade might give the Knicks an outside chance of sneaking into the playoffs.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

you asked an impossible question, and then followed it up by pointing out your impossible question wasn't actually answered

Now that I've snipped all that boring stuff...

You were the one that proposed trading Rose, and were dismissive of the several reasons outlined in my previous post why that's extremely difficult if not impossible to accomplish. I'm not sure why, given YOU suggested they trade him (and made it seem like only an idiot wouldn't) it's unreasonable to ask for an example of something realistic they could get. If you had informed ideas about this I'm sure you'd share them.

USCandLakers wrote:

Well that matter is settled then, init?

Sure is. We'll see what they get. I'm sure it'll be great.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure as soon as Phil took that job he wanted nothing of Anthony but probably couldn't walk in there and get rid of the best player they had since Ewing
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:
I'm pretty sure as soon as Phil took that job he wanted nothing of Anthony but probably couldn't walk in there and get rid of the best player they had since Ewing

Either way I think Phil's days are numbered in New York. Carmelo's might be too if he decides he sees a better future on another team.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Trading for a catch & shoot guy/someone who runs around screens (Korver) is really, really, really different than trading for a guy (Rose) who'd require you to completely change how your offense is run. And that's before you get into the difficulty of matching a $21M salary.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

you asked an impossible question, and then followed it up by pointing out your impossible question wasn't actually answered

Now that I've snipped all that boring stuff...

You were the one that proposed trading Rose, and were dismissive of the several reasons outlined in my previous post why that's extremely difficult if not impossible to accomplish. I'm not sure why, given YOU suggested they trade him (and made it seem like only an idiot wouldn't) it's unreasonable to ask for an example of something realistic they could get. If you had informed ideas about this I'm sure you'd share them.

USCandLakers wrote:

Well that matter is settled then, init?

Sure is. We'll see what they get. I'm sure it'll be great.

Why are you outlining the difficulty in trading him in the first place, as if there was a heavily argued counterpoint to that...or a counterpoint at all?

If it looks like a strawman. And it smells like a strawman...

I think I'm allowed to be dismissive of an argument you completely fabricated.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

Why are you outlining the difficulty in trading him in the first place, as if there was a heavily argued counterpoint to that...or a counterpoint at all?

Do you share this account with someone else?

This conversation began because you asked why NY isn't trading Rose. When it was pointed out to you how impossible that is you replied with the Korver example. When it was pointed out to you in detail what a lazy and horrible comparison that is you denied ever making the argument. You are aware your posts are documented in this thread and anyone can read them?
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Do you share this account with someone else?

This conversation began because you asked why NY isn't trading Rose. When it was pointed out to you how impossible that is you replied with the Korver example. When it was pointed out to you in detail what a lazy and horrible comparison that is you denied ever making the argument. You are aware your posts are documented in this thread and anyone can read them?

You have an interesting thought process. One could even say it's...dishonest.

Knicks should try and trade Rose too
Knicks should get a great haul if they trade Rose. It'll be easy to trade him.

Red = What I said.

Blue = How you saw it.

Created a whole counterargument to an assertion you fabricated. Dishonest.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

the red isn't what you said. If you want to walk it back I understand.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject:

Saw a Blake and a Doc interview yesterday -- niether could completely hold back a smile when asked about the Melo trade.. I think they're on the way to getting him. At least it makes the year more interesting, wonder if they can make the WCF
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Jackson is having a tough run of it as president. He started by clearing the decks including Tyson, JR and Shumpert but couldn't turn the cap space into any difference makers. He lost out on Kerr and then went from Fisher, who battled Barnes over a woman, to Rambis who nobody respects, to Hornachek who has walked a tightrope between coaching the team and keeping Jackson's triangle dream alive.

He started the year trading a quality starting center (Lopez) and a PG prospect (Grant) for Derrick Rose. Rose started the year on trial, has gone AWOL once this year and reportedly is still thinking about a max contract. He replaced Lopez with Noah who is older and now, thanks to the deal Phil gave him, much higher paid. In the middle of the shock from Trump's victory he called Bron's professional team a posse, inspiring questions about the racial implications of such a term.

Wanting to hit the reset Phil took to the media to seed a departure for Carmelo. Savy to it and armed with a trade veto, Melo is leveraging Phil into a preferred destination and pittance in return ('I want to stay in this mess, we I mean I love NY. But if management wants to go in a different direction I'll listen) with Doc right there to help. Saying they won't even part with Redick is a slap in the face, especially considering there is no way LAC can keep a big four plus Redick past this season.

KP has been having Achilles pain which is a principle risk with players that tall/long. Hopefully he's good going forward but if anything happens there the Knicks could be bad for another decade.

(BTW, ia Laker executive did half of this stuff s/he wouldn't be physically safe in LA.)
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

They tried making the playoffs with DRose, Melo, KP, Lee and they could not. Rose will be a free agent at years end. Easy to let go. Melo fetches you a starter and cap space. You sign maybe another starter with the cap created in Melo trade. You get a better lottery pick by tanking - You have cap with Rose walking, maybe to sign a better fit at PG for the team.

All nice on paper but Phil is essentially taking a huge risk that Kristaps is able to carry a franchise. I'm sure he is all star talent but I worry for them he may be prone to Bynum like injuries. Phil should maybe wait and see if KP is capable to play a full season before he dumps Melo. For all the hate Melo gets he is not overpaid in this era of the CBA (go look at Parsons contract) and he pretty much takes all the heat off Porzingis. Once it comes Porzingis team Ny will not tolerate him for long if he fails to carry them anywhere high.

Tough call. They made a risk in Rose and it backfired so they are thinking of blowing it up. From an outsider I see their issues being Rose and Noah being busts vs Melo being the problem. Melo has baggage but he's a really really good scorer and willing to take the heat that comes with being the man in NY. If the best deal is what is being reported I'd pass on dealing Melo. They are going lottery anyway. Try to draft well, try to sign some free agents that fit better than Rose, make some trades maybe and in a year from now you probably know for sure if Kristaps is healthy enough and good enough to be the man that carries your franchise material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

So Doc, might want to call the Knicks if you are tired of these ass whoopings....
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Doc may be on the phone with the Knicks tonight like "So.....Austin and Crawford for Melo right?"

Phil should go "AND JJ Redick...."

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

The Nuggets are 'working with Nurkic to find a place for him to land'. I could see
Knicks get: Nurkic, Reddick, Clipps 1st
Clippers: last legs Melo
Nuggets: twix bar or something
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:

Knicks that desperate? would you guys trade Melo for Deng? might disrupt everything tho but Melo is actually a shorter contract
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Even if the Clippers could trade a bag of chips for Melo would they really have a good chance of winning anything? I guess they have to try but the Clippers just seem like they have no shot to me no matter what they do and unfortunately for them they won't be getting the FIBA version of Melo.

I saw these comments from another forum that I agree with:

Quote:
Melo destroy FIBA rules because his usual terrible long 2s are 3s in FIBA, and his position is a real 4, not a tweener like in NBA

Quote:
plays better in fiba b/c he doesn't play iso ball stopper. he is great off the catch. also certainly not a tweener

Quote:
It also might have to do with the overall level of defender he sees is of a much much lower caliber than the guys in the NBA in addition to him being a 3rd option.

In any case I doubt the Clippers are going to get him. If they do get him, they will probably be one of those teams with a bunch of big names that doesn't win anything. They kind of are that way already.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

In all honesty the Wizards should be all over this if the Knicks are that Desperate

A starting lineup 1-4 of

John Wall
Bradley Beal
Otto Porter
Carmelo Anthony

would do some damage in the East.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I feel like a dominant wing is exactly what the Clippers need to become a real contender.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Saw a Blake and a Doc interview yesterday -- niether could completely hold back a smile when asked about the Melo trade.. I think they're on the way to getting him. At least it makes the year more interesting, wonder if they can make the WCF

They are doing a terrible job if they are waiting until the trade deadline....who knows what other team might swoop in and make a better deal.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

They are doing a terrible job if they are waiting until the trade deadline....who knows what other team might swoop in and make a better deal.

Wizards SHOULD be all over it tbh.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Thunder are intrigued by adding Melo, doubt he'd approve to trade to OKC tho.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Ding is working for Phil too. Heard he wrote a piece bashing Melo and Phil supports it on Twitter.

@PhilJackson11

Bleacher's Ding almost rings the bell, but I learned you don't change the spot on a leopard with Michael Graham in my CBA daze.

Report: Carmelo Anthony refuses to let Phil Jackson force him off the Knicks

Phil Jackson's actions are apparently backfiring

Quote:
From Wojnarowski:
New York Knicks president Phil Jackson's public campaign to pressure Carmelo Anthony into waiving his no-trade clause is working to harden Anthony's resolve to remain with the franchise, league sources told The Vertical.
"[Jackson's underestimating 'Melo's willingness to stay," a source familiar with Anthony's thinking told The Vertical.

This backs up what Anthony has said repeatedly. He is happy in New York and won't waive his no-trade clause unless Jackson tells him the Knicks are going to start a rebuild. Jackson has refused to tell Anthony this and instead is using back channels and his Twitter account to get his message across, which is now why there is some tension between him and the Knicks All-Star

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-carmelo-anthony-refuses-to-let-phil-jackson-run-him-out-of-the-knicks/
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Phil will get fired before Melo gets traded. Unless they have a deal to the Clippers, I don't see any realistic situation where Melo leaves.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

If the Clips can trade for Melo without giving up JJ, go for it. If you can't, hang up the phone.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: