'Proud refugee' Luol Deng stands with those impacted by Trump's travel ban
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: 'Proud refugee' Luol Deng stands with those impacted by Trump's travel ban

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/proud-refugee-luol-deng-stands-with-those-impacted-by-trumps-travel-ban-033502616.html
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Kudos to Deng. What's happening here is a travesty.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Agree totally with Luol. What's happening now is a complete disgrace.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Awesome statement by Luol. What is happening is very disturbing.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

inb4 "I m hate when a politics g enters a sports"
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

There is a political thread in the off topic forum that is a perfect place to post about this.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Kudos to Luol Deng.

A lot of people worldwide just got a glimpse of a madman in the White House and quickly looked away, trying to pretend they didn't see what they just saw. This won't last 4 years.

I agree though - this belongs in a non-basketball forum.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject:

It's a shame he hasn't played well this season, because I was pretty happy when it was announced we were signing Luol (especially after the disappointment hearing 4yrs/$64M...). Love his character.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject:

Happy for Luol and as the son of immigrants I'm proud of my President. He's the Kobe Bryant of politics: polarizing and unfairly covered by the media.

America first.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject:

[quote="TooMuchMajicBuss"]Kudos to Luol Deng.

A lot of people worldwide just got a glimpse of a madman in the White House and quickly looked away, trying to pretend they didn't see what they just saw. This won't last 4 years.

I agree though - this belongs in a non-basketball forum.[/

Yep, certainly a madman in the Whitehouse. Obviously, if you or your loved ones are are not affected you think it's great but the man is self serving; it'll be a long presidential stay.

America now has a right wing Hugo Chavez in power ( the same dictator antics), we'll see how that works out ...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Happy for Luol and as the son of immigrants I'm proud of my President. He's the Kobe Bryant of politics: polarizing and unfairly covered by the media.

America first.

You're talking about Trump? unfairly covered? Obama got villified for issuing executive orders within his 8 years... Trump is doing it in 8 days (the same people villifying Obama for doing it, is now praising Trump... not sure how it's unfairly to Trump)
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

America first.

You're talking about Trump? unfairly covered? Obama got villified for issuing executive orders within his 8 years... Trump is doing it in 8 days (the same people villifying Obama for doing it, is now praising Trump... not sure how it's unfairly to Trump)
Trump is treated like trash by the media. If you look with unbiased eyes you can tell this easy.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
governator wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

America first.

Trump is treated like trash by the media. If you look with unbiased eyes you can tell this easy.

He's treated that way because he deserves it.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
governator wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

America first.

Guess we all see with our own 'glasses'. To me, many things that Trump has said/tweet/done have been debunked as straight up lies or inflammatory... the media calls him on those thing but Trump continues to double down. Obama didn't do that. That's why I fail to see how the media 'trash' or 'unfairly' treat Trump
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

America first.

That's from Dr. Seuss in 1941. Notice the slogan on the teacher's shirt. This isn't new stuff people, nor is it OK or normal, nor is it analogous to a basketball player.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

America first.

Not sure if serious . Where was the media coverage when Obama put a 180 day stoppage to the immigration of Iraqi refugees in 2011 after two Iraqi terrorists here on visas were arrested in Kentucky? Where were the protests and calls of "dictatorship" by the liberals? Why wasn't Schumer standing at a podium in tears? We held 109 people at the airports out of 325,000 who came into the country. More people were inconvenienced by the protesters then people held at the airport. Why does the media continue to call it a "Muslim ban" when more than 40+ Muslim majority countries are unaffected?

It's the same embarassing media hypocrisy that we saw throughout the entire campaign when they reported Hillary had it "in the bag". Whoops...the American people had the rug pulled out from under them and the liberal media was standing there with egg on their face. Even as a conservative they had me convinced weeks before the election that it was over.

I don't blame Democrats for trying to exploit the American people's confusion. Their objective from this day forward is to win back their seats. It's the irresponsible media coverage I have a bone to pick with.

Like I said, Kobe Bryant of politics. Love my President. Finally a man of action in the White House and I'm ecstatic. We're the silent majority who the media ignores and hopefully continues to ignore for Trump 2020. The media and liberal terrorists can silence our voices but not our votes.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

America first.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3Rjc5DWEAAiiLQ.jpg

That's from Dr. Seuss in 1941. Notice the slogan on the teacher's shirt. This isn't new stuff people, nor is it OK or normal, nor is it analogous to a basketball player.

That is cute, but I made the Kobe reference when this was posted in the lounge. Was just trying to tie my post with basketball before it got moved to off-topic. I haven't come to off-topic for a while because I understand the mods here are heavily left leaning. I'll see myself out. Still respect you guys despite our political differences.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
governator wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

America first.

Not sure if serious . Where was the media coverage when Obama put a 180 day stoppage to the immigration of Iraqi refugees in 2011 after two Iraqi terrorists here on visas were arrested in Kentucky? Where were the protests and calls of "dictatorship" by the liberals? Why wasn't Schumer standing at a podium in tears? We held 109 people at the airports out of 325,000 who came into the country. More people were inconvenienced by the protesters then people held at the airport. Why does the media continue to call it a "Muslim ban" when more than 40+ Muslim majority countries are unaffected?

It's the same embarassing media hypocrisy that we saw throughout the entire campaign when they reported Hillary had it "in the bag". Whoops...the American people had the rug pulled out from under them and the liberal media was standing there with egg on their face. Even as a conservative they had me convinced weeks before the election that it was over.

I don't blame Democrats for trying to exploit the American people's confusion. Their objective from this day forward is to win back their seats. It's the irresponsible media coverage I have a bone to pick with.

Like I said, Kobe Bryant of politics. Love my President. Finally a man of action in the White House and I'm ecstatic. We're the silent majority who the media ignores and hopefully continues to ignore for Trump 2020. The media and liberal terrorists can silence our voices but not our votes.

Quote:
Leaving aside the unusual nature of team Trump looking to his predecessors’ policies for cover, it seems worth pointing out this statement obscures at least five enormous differences between the executive order the White House issued on Friday and what the Obama administration did.

1. Much narrower focus: The Obama administration conducted a review in 2011 of the vetting procedures applied to citizens of a single country (Iraq) and then only to refugees and applicants for Special Immigrant Visas (SIVs), created by Congress to help Iraqis (and later Afghans) who supported the United States in those conflicts. The Trump executive order, on the other hand, applies to seven countries with total population more than 130 million, and to virtually every category of immigrant other than diplomats, including tourists and business travelers.

2. Not a ban: Contrary to Trump’s Sunday statement and the repeated claims of his defenders, the Obama administration did not “ban visas for refugees from Iraq for six months.” For one thing, refugees don’t travel on visas. More importantly, while the flow of Iraqi refugees slowed significantly during the Obama administration’s review, refugees continued to be admitted to the United States during that time, and there was not a single month in which no Iraqis arrived here. In other words, while there were delays in processing, there was no outright ban.

3. Grounded in specific threat: The Obama administration’s 2011 review came in response to specific threat information, including the arrest in Kentucky of two Iraqi refugees, still the only terrorism-related arrests out of about 130,000 Iraqi refugees and SIV holders admitted to the United States. Thus far, the Trump administration has provided no evidence, nor even asserted, that any specific information or intelligence has led to its draconian order.

4. Orderly, organized process: The Obama administration’s review was conducted over roughly a dozen deputies and principals committee meetings, involving Cabinet and deputy Cabinet-level officials from all of the relevant departments and agencies — including the State, Homeland Security and Justice Departments — and the intelligence community. The Trump executive order was reportedly drafted by White House political officials and then presented to the implementing agencies a fait accompli. This is not just bad policymaking practice, it led directly to the confusion, bordering on chaos, that has attended implementation of the order by agencies that could only start asking questions (such as: “does this apply to green card holders?”) once the train had left the station.

5. Far stronger vetting today: Much has been made of Trump’s call for “extreme vetting” for citizens of certain countries. The entire purpose of the Obama administration’s 2011 review was to enhance the already stringent vetting to which refugees and SIV applicants were subjected. While many of the details are classified, those rigorous procedures, which lead to waiting times of 18-24 months for many Iraqi and Syrian refugees, remain in place today and are continually reviewed by interagency officials. The Trump administration is, therefore, taking on a problem that has already been (and is continually being) addressed.

*Bonus: Obama’s “seven countries” taken out of context: Trump’s claim that the seven countries listed in the executive order came from the Obama administration is conveniently left unexplained. A bit of background: soon after the December 2015 terror attack in San Bernadino, President Obama signed an amendment to the Visa Waiver Program, a law that allows citizens of 38 countries to travel to the United States without obtaining visas (and gives Americans reciprocal privileges in those countries). The amendment removed from the Visa Waiver Program dual nationals who were citizens of four countries (Iraq, Iran, Sudan, and Syria), or anyone who had recently traveled to those countries. The Obama administration added three more to the list (Libya, Somalia, and Yemen), bringing the total to seven. But this law did not bar anyone from coming to the United States. It only required a relatively small percentage of people to obtain a visa first. And to avoid punishing people who clearly had good reasons to travel to the relevant countries, the Obama administration used a waiver provided by Congress for certain travelers, including journalists, aid workers, and officials from international organizations like the United Nations.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/30/sorry-mr-president-the-obama-administration-did-nothing-similar-to-your-immigration-ban/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

Facts matter
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

>We're the silent majority

You don't have a majority...

Quote:
>liberal terrorists

what
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

In particular I love the new Trump supporter stance that "it's not a Muslim Ban!" As if Trump didn't campaign for a year specifically on instituting a Muslim Ban and his pal Giuliani said on TV the other day that Trump came to him and asked how he can legally implement a Muslim Ban.

At some point you have to square the fact that you're willing to lie to yourself to prop up the agenda of a charlatan who doesn't give a (bleep) about you.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

America first.

Those people you seem to support would never let you sit at their table.

America first . To many of those people you aren't even American. Aren't you South Asian? You're basically a Muslim in their eyes. They can't tell the difference.

Omar Little wrote:
Facts matter

No they don't. When people want to believe something, they believe it no matter what.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
governator wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

America first. :usa:

He is Trash
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: