5 Questions the L.A. Lakers Must Answer Before 2017 NBA Trade Deadline
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: 5 Questions the L.A. Lakers Must Answer Before 2017 NBA Trade Deadline

Hey all,

Here's my latest at Bleacher Report:

5 Questions the L.A. Lakers Must Answer Before 2017 NBA Trade Deadline
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2690123-five-questions-the-la-lakers-must-answer-before-2017-nba-trade-deadline

Cheers,

Eric
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

Thank you.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject:

The team needs to first evaluate the possibility of signing a max FA they like. Then they will know whether they should shed salary or could add salary. History suggests Mitch would look for opportunistic trades in February. Someone buried on the bench, like Bazemore or Sessions, for an expendable piece such as Calderon.

I do feel Butler will hit the market again in the summer if Wade ops out. If the Lakers draft a PG with a top 3 pick, maybe a package centered around Lou+Russell would get the Bulls interested.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

Good article. The part I found odd though was this statement

"Can the Lakers speed up the rebuilding process by acquiring veteran stars in exchange for prospects? Are there any stars even available?"

How in the world would trading prospects who may be good/really good in 3-4 years for a veteran star who will be in decline in the next 3-4 years "rebuilding"? That's the opposite of rebuilding, that's cashing in. Even if we somehow traded

Randle + Lou + Ingram for Boogie (which is likely the asking price)

Then

DLO + Zubac + Clarkson for Butler (we would still be light)

Next year our roster would be

PG - Free Agent, Free Agent
SG - Butler, Free Agent
SF - Deng, Free Agent
PF - Boogie, Nance
C - Mosgov, Free Agent

We have a 3-4 year window there to hang around the 8th seed before starting over again. That's the same type of mentality that someone like John Ireland has, stars are worth all the prospects in the world and a rebuild means going out and getting Free agents to join your mid to late career superstars.

Move none of the young guys, hope as many as possible turn into B+ type NBA players....if not keep working the lottery until you hit gold then build on that.

I know from your other post Eric that you support tanking to keep our top 3 pick this season, but then your statement above seems to indicate that you believe part of "rebuilding" involves flipping draft assets for mid to late career stars. I'm curious, what is your honest opinion about the optimal lakers strategy moving forward?
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
The team needs to first evaluate the possibility of signing a max FA they like.

No max agent wants to join a lottery team. Those guys always wants someone to be at least in the playoffs and have an upwards trajectory.

Unless, of course, we just overpay, but then even with that, we have the Deng situation. I think the Lakers are stuck until Ingram gets another year or two under his belt.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

46 - I'm asking questions about different paths, not assuming there is only one
razor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, Pau.......There was once a time when the Lakers almost had a monopoly on acquiring big FA's that yielded championships. Those days are gone, unless you count the Howard and Paul fiasco. With top players fleeing to of all places Cle, and GS, the Lakers can't even sell the beach. They actually have many great role players right now, but the way the game is played these days, Lakers need a killer at the point. Dlo has the knees of a 60yr old and BI simply can't shoot. The Lakers have done the best they can with their picks, Magic and Worthy just are not in the draft, so its going to take an act of God to get back to what they once were.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

JM wrote:
Thank you.

Ditto !!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I see no mention of Jahlil Okafor. Not only in this thread but when I pose the query about acquiring him in other threads there's no real love for him.

I like his game. He's on a team that just does not play well when he's in the lineup. His stats in those games are decent.

As I stated in another post he reminds me of a Dodger pitcher, whose name I can't recall, pitched well, had a low era, but the team didn't produce when he was on the mound. He would lose games 1 0, 3 2, and like.

Jahlil falls in that category for me. I think he'd fit in with our young core. There will be growing pains. I like the path were on. I hope the FO doesn't jump into a win now mode.

Mitch was on point when he said Laker fans see what he's doing and hope they will be patient

Philly is going to put Noel or Okafor on the block. Feb 23 is fast approaching. I hope Mitch, Jim and Jeannie have a plan.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Good article

Glad that Mitch is an opportunistic GM

Okafor is just not the right fit for the Lakers since Zuboc provides the same benefits with a higher ceiling

If the Lakers get a lottery pick, they will have a logjam at PG and still need shooters. Can DLO be the floor general and face of the Lakers? He is talented but not a floor general

If Mitch is able to jettison Deng and/or Mosgov, he is a genius

Out of respect to Swaggy and LouWill, if Mitch can figure anyway to get them with a legitimate chance to get a ring, that would be great for everybody
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
The team needs to first evaluate the possibility of signing a max FA they like. Then they will know whether they should shed salary or could add salary. History suggests Mitch would look for opportunistic trades in February. Someone buried on the bench, like Bazemore or Sessions, for an expendable piece such as Calderon.

I do feel Butler will hit the market again in the summer if Wade ops out. If the Lakers draft a PG with a top 3 pick, maybe a package centered around Lou+Russell would get the Bulls interested.

Actually it be that draft pick+Lou because that draft pick will be the first thing the Bulls target and Russell is damaged good in their eyes.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I like his game. He's on a team that just does not play well when he's in the lineup. His stats in those games are decent.

As I stated in another post he reminds me of a Dodger pitcher, whose name I can't recall, pitched well, had a low era, but the team didn't produce when he was on the mound. He would lose games 1 0, 3 2, and like.

Jahlil falls in that category for me. I think he'd fit in with our young core. There will be growing pains. I like the path were on. I hope the FO doesn't jump into a win now mode.

I don't think the pitcher analogy works. A pitcher can throw a great game and lose because his teammates score no runs. The pitching and offense are completely unrelated.

That isn't the case with Okafor. He's a good low post scorer, but the 76ers often lose when he plays because he's a poor rebounder and defender. The suggestion that he goes out, plays great, but the team loses because his teammates let him down doesn't ring true to me.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't think the pitcher analogy works. A pitcher can throw a great game and lose because his teammates score no runs. The pitching and offense are completely unrelated.

That isn't the case with Okafor. He's a good low post scorer, but the 76ers often lose when he plays because he's a poor rebounder and defender. The suggestion that he goes out, plays great, but the team loses because his teammates let him down doesn't ring true to me.

Not just that, but Okafor can get his points efficiently and still be a bad offensive player. If he only has a usage of 30%, then his effect on his teammates on the other 70% of the possessions needs to be factored in. And there, you could argue his lack of offensive rebounding, screens, and spacing at the position could be a detriment to the team overall offensively.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject:

One has to wonder whether if all you can get is a late first round draft pick for Williams and Young whether it is worth it.

Young would be my first choice to trade for a draft pick but I really like his game. He has a player option which he will choose to exercise so he could end up resigning with us anyway. We would only be renting him out for a 1/3 of a season that seems reasonable.

Lou has been a god send and this team seems like a great fit for him and for us. I think if we are looking at playoffs next year he will be a key piece so I think we need to keep him unless we are blown away.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
LaxT wrote:
The team needs to first evaluate the possibility of signing a max FA they like.

No max agent wants to join a lottery team. Those guys always wants someone to be at least in the playoffs and have an upwards trajectory.

Unless, of course, we just overpay, but then even with that, we have the Deng situation. I think the Lakers are stuck until Ingram gets another year or two under his belt.

Agree the possibility is slim. That is why they should
1. explore the value of expiring contracts. Calderon/Young this year and Lou/Black next.
2. think about trade before making a free agency home run. Due to good drafts in recent years, they have assets to explore a quantity for quality trade now
3. stop overpaying average players. Those are not assets in trade talks.

Because of the Jim Buss deadline, the FO is under pressure to perform and I think Mitch will try to do what he does best-- trade.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
One has to wonder whether if all you can get is a late first round draft pick for Williams and Young whether it is worth it.

Young would be my first choice to trade for a draft pick but I really like his game. He has a player option which he will choose to exercise so he could end up resigning with us anyway. We would only be renting him out for a 1/3 of a season that seems reasonable.

Lou has been a god send and this team seems like a great fit for him and for us. I think if we are looking at playoffs next year he will be a key piece so I think we need to keep him unless we are blown away.

Lou is worth more than a late first to the Lakers. If that's the value in trade market, they keep him.

Young is more valuable to the Lakers than other teams too. The question is, do you resign him if he opts out?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Compare the stats of the 76ers centers. You'll see they're not that different. Look at the REB AST BLK.

Philadelphia has three very good centers. They will not be great playing together. I think Noel would start on most teams. I think the same is true for Okafor. I contend Okafor will show a different game on another team.

I think Jahlil would be good here in Los Angeles. It's a young team still learning. I'd like to see what Russell, Randle, Ingram, Okafor and who ever the organization keeps can do together.

Put them together give them a entire season. I think the results would be favorable.

I've been a Laker fan since 1960. Seen the Good the Bad, this is the Ugly. I'm impatient but willing to wait. I think the right moves will have us in contention in 3 4 years.

The albatross contracts, Deng, Mozgov and Clarkson are a problem that has to be addressed.

OKAFOR EMBIID NOEL

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

No need for Oak. I'd rather invest in Zubac who has better 2 way potential.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I won't go as far as no need.

Zub hasn't had enough PT for me make a educated assessment. I'm with you on investing in him. He seems to have a solid upside.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Zub hasn't had enough PT for me make a educated assessment. I'm with you on investing in him. He seems to have a solid upside.

76ers will want a real asset for him (think something like JC + something else). No thanks when we have Zub who may be a better 2 way player.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

76ers will want a real asset for him (think something like JC + something else). No thanks when we have Zub who may be a better 2 way player.

They may. I'm not against Zub. I'd like to see more of him. Keep in mind, he's only 19.

We're loaded at the G. JC + wouldn't be a bad trade according to what the + is. Personally I don't like his game. To much ISO and poor decision making with the ball in his hands. I think he's selfish. Also he very inconsistent.

I'm of the school that builds from the inside out. Golden State has changed the game to being G oriented. There are no more Curry, Thompson duos. They're an anomaly. Have to say the Dubs make it entertaining.

The game is in transition but I think the door will revolve to being a big mans game again. That means players like Zub an Oak will once again be pertinent.

By the By: Worthy and Horry think Zubac's going to prove to be a great player.

Have to say.....I just like Jahlil Okafor.

razor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject:

razor wrote:
its going to take an act of God to get back to what they once were.
- I called it! As far as I'm concerned, there is Magic, then God, then everyone else, do your thing Magic!
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

How bad is the end of the Laker's bench?

Jose Calderon

Marcelo Huertas

Thomas Robinson

Metta World Peace

Robinson 'might' be able to get some time somewhere, but the other guys are just space holders I'm thinking?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

woe is us...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: