What is your main goal for the team, for the rest of the year?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your hope for the season?
Win as many games so the team/youth can experience winning
51%
 51%  [ 27 ]
Tank for a top pick
48%
 48%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 52

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: What is your main goal for the team, for the rest of the year?

This is interesting to discuss about cause some people have different opinions on this.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

I'm sure this is something the FO is discussing with the TD approaching.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

To win. For me the basketball is always about winning and nothing else.Tanking is like a cancer without possible treatment.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

Keep the pick.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

30-32 wins for this team will be a good step as opposed to losing a lot of games just to get a top pick, but some people don't think that way.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

W's. Win as many games during this last stretch. Hopefully we can get between 25 - 30 wins.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

I'm caught in between. There is value in winning and experiencing that and there is value in getting lucky again and keeping the pick.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

Play hard & win games
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Hasn't changed since pre-season. I want the kids to get max reps and show improvement under a coach that has us moving in the right direction.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
30-32 wins for this team will be a good step as opposed to losing a lot of games just to get a top pick, but some people don't think that way.

What if the top pick was a future ALL NBA player...10x All Star...the kind of player that half way through his career people are having discussions on where his place in history will be or how many rings he will have? Still choose your 30 pointless wins? How can you have an opinion if you do not understand the level of talent that may or may not be in this draft? Have you ever watched Fultz, Lonzo Ball or Tatum?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

What if the top pick was a future ALL NBA player...10x All Star...the kind of player that half way through his career people are having discussions on where his place in history will be or how many rings he will have? Still choose your 30 pointless wins? How can you have an opinion if you do not understand the level of talent that may or may not be in this draft? Have you ever watched Fultz, Lonzo Ball or Tatum?

Even if you are right let's keep it mind that some teams might end up trading there main guys to aim for a top pick particularly the Kings and New York, as it stands it's gonna be tough to accomplish your dreams and despite your post being objective and right, it's gonna be tough for the Lakers. unless we somehow make a trade with Philly to get back our lottery protection.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

I can see the positives in getting a top pick but unless the Lakers go 9-37 the rest of the way the odds won't be in our favor, it just seems like a pointless assessment.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your main goal for the team, for the rest of the year?

Inspector Gadget wrote:
This is interesting to discuss about cause some people have different opinions on this.

I think you just play the smartest lineups which will allow the young players to develop in the best way. You don't worry about wins and losses.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

A pick will help facilitate a trade. Will make moving one or two of the young core more acceptable. I don't know why tanking gets so much attention. Players DO NOT tank. The brass can put them in a bad situation by trading away good players, putting guys on IR when they're not injured, etc. We earned every single one of our picks the past three years. We didn't stink on purpose.

Let the chips fall where they may. I love last night's win when two young guys showed their game in Russel and Zubak.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Even if you are right let's keep it mind that some teams might end up trading there main guys to aim for a top pick particularly the Kings and New York, as it stands it's gonna be tough to accomplish your dreams and despite your post being objective and right, it's gonna be tough for the Lakers. unless we somehow make a trade with Philly to get back our lottery protection.

yeah, but I am not buying what the Knicks and Kings are selling...because they are not helping those teams win, and we would have little flexibility and talent left to put around them...which is exactly where their franchises are, hence they may move them in the first place. We have to stick to the plan....get a group of guys near the same timeline, and develop them, and hope they grow into contenders.

Even when guys like Paul George are mentioned, I am skeptic because Ingram is a year away from even being able to really compete at this level...4-5 years away from sniffing an All Star game if all goes well....Russell is 2 & 3 years away from being even a top 10 level PG....Zubac and Randle still have a couple years to really polish their game. Nance and Clarkson are probably only a year or two away from their peak....so by the time this all takes place, PG13 is 30? 31? Maybe its great for a year or two, but at that point, he likely would not even be the best guy on the team.

I would rather stockpile young talent and they all hit that 25 - 27 years old timeline around the same time, and hopefully the finished product is in some shape or form similar to what GSW has.....3 to 4 All Star level players dominating, all at the front end of their prime.

Then you continue to just draft solid...every year get a quality contributor...hope to hit gold once or twice later in draft, and transition into a Spurs like model to remain competitive for as long as possible.

Last edited by adkindo on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Tank for top three pick and draft an elite PG.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Even if we tank and trade Lou and/or Young that doesn't guarantee we keep our top 3 pick becuase of the draft lottery system.

I'd rather try and win as many games as possible the rest of the season to show potential free agents that this team is headed in the right direction.

I could live with losing the pick as long as our young core continues to develop and show improvement for the rest of the season.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
Even if we tank and trade Lou and/or Young that doesn't guarantee we keep our top 3 pick becuase of the draft lottery system.

I'd rather try and win as many games as possible the rest of the season to show potential free agents that this team is headed in the right direction.

I could live with losing the pick as long as our young core continues to develop and show improvement for the rest of the season.

Word.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:

I think the counter would be that it is very unlikely that any FA that would come here with 30 wins....would refuse because we only had 24 wins. I actually think a 24 win team, with a top 3 pick, and most of their future picks would be more attractive to many FA's over a 30 win team with no draft pick in 2 of the next 3 years to improve the talent or move to obtain better assets.

Cleveland's #1 pick Wiggins was one of the biggest factors in bringing back Lebron...not for Wiggins, but the asset value.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

I prefer to develop the young players that we have over risking that development by what it takes to tank. Games like last night where the vets do a good job of putting the young players in positions to succeed are very important. Development is the key, and learning how to win games is an important lesson toward developing the youngsters. I don't care about the pick, if we get lucky and keep it then great for us. If not, we have talented youngsters in the process of becoming real NBA players.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I prefer to develop the young players that we have over risking that development by what it takes to tank. Games like last night where the vets do a good job of putting the young players in positions to succeed are very important. Development is the key, and learning how to win games is an important lesson toward developing the youngsters. I don't care about the pick, if we get lucky and keep it then great for us. If not, we have talented youngsters in the process of becoming real NBA players.

good 'ole VLF....resting his argument on intangibles that can never be proven or disproven..the fact that you "do not care about the pick", when even your hero Mitch lit up like a Christmas tree when next years draft was mentioned is what should be taken away from you comment.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

27 wins and a pick is better than 30 wins and no pick. Tank is a stupid term imo, trade lou and we're in a better position to develop while still having a chance at keeping the pick. The way the cba and our cap space is set up, we can kiss ever signing a top tier star goodbye so a couple more wins to entice free agents is a moot point.. We need another lottery talent more than anything.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Sums up my feelings exactly. I like Lou out there as a steady hand in crunch time, but I like seeing him allow DLO and the young guys to have a chance at taking some big shots.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Player develop and team play. Winning will come later, it'll all be worth it if these guys are clicking next season. I've said this from the beginning, I have no expectation around W's this season, it's all about growing as a team...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: