Avatar 2, 3, 4, & 5 set to begin shooting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Avatar 2, 3, 4, & 5 set to begin shooting

http://screenrant.com/avatar-sequels-one-production-james-cameron/

y tho
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject:

$$$
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject:

The worst thing about these movies is that when I refer to the infinitely superior TV show Avatar (the Last Airbender), people will think I'm talking about the blue people movies.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
$$$

No doubt $$$$$
Movies, merchandise, licensing, theme park
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

jesus...what the.... whY??
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
The worst thing about these movies is that when I refer to the infinitely superior TV show Avatar (the Last Airbender), people will think I'm talking about the blue people movies.

You said it, brotha.

Avatar: The Las Airbender was really a phenomenal series.

I have actually never watched the james cameron Avatar. It always just looked like Dances With Wolves in space to me.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Yeah, it was pretty amazing for a kid's show. It dealt with some fairly complex themes, given the age of its intended audience.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
I have actually never watched the james cameron Avatar. It always just looked like Dances With Wolves in space to me.

You made a mistake by focusing on the plot. I know a couple other people who did the same thing. It was all about the visual effects. It was the first great 3-D blockbuster. The plot wasn't quite irrelevant, but that's not what made it so spectacular. There were countless stories of people turning around in the parking lot and going back to watch it again. It wasn't for the plot. It was because the movie was like being in some sort of virtual reality ride.

If you didn't see it on the big screen in 3-D with the full theatrical sound system, I doubt that you could capture the experience by watching it on DVD, even with a 3-D player. If you watched it for the plot, you would never understand why it was such a massive blockbuster.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

You made a mistake by focusing on the plot. I know a couple other people who did the same thing. It was all about the visual effects. It was the first great 3-D blockbuster. The plot wasn't quite irrelevant, but that's not what made it so spectacular. There were countless stories of people turning around in the parking lot and going back to watch it again. It wasn't for the plot. It was because the movie was like being in some sort of virtual reality ride.

If you didn't see it on the big screen in 3-D with the full theatrical sound system, I doubt that you could capture the experience by watching it on DVD, even with a 3-D player. If you watched it for the plot, you would never understand why it was such a massive blockbuster.

Yea I saw it in IMAX 3D. Plot was forgettable, but the visuals on that huge 3D screen were amazing. Only 3D movie I've ever actually enjoyed watching.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject:

What's funny to me is that Avatar had more of a plot (along with a nice conservationist message and a respect for native cultures) than just about any other blockbuster action movie that gets made. Yet people drool over Avengers 14 and chastise Avatar for lack of plot.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

I'm one of those who saw Avatar many times. I enjoyed it quite a bit. They dropped the ball here though. The excitement has faded.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Yeah, then I guess I missed out. Which I'm completely fine with. Visual effects only stand out to me if they're bad.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

Imo, Avatar is the only movie so far to have met the 3D expectations, especially on Imax. I was mind blown by the visuals when it was released.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

Still waiting for Titanic 2, 3 and 4.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
What's funny to me is that Avatar had more of a plot (along with a nice conservationist message and a respect for native cultures) than just about any other blockbuster action movie that gets made. Yet people drool over Avengers 14 and chastise Avatar for lack of plot.

It's not that it lacked a plot, so much, as it is that the plot was unoriginal and uncreative. Pocahantas meets Dances with Wolves meets the Ewoks. You are right that action movies tend to have lame plots, but the visual and sound effects from Avatar were so spectacular and creative that the plot stood out like a sore thumb.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
What's funny to me is that Avatar had more of a STOLEN plot (along with a nice conservationist message and a respect for native cultures) than just about any other blockbuster action movie that gets made. Yet people drool over Avengers 14 and chastise Avatar for lack of plot.

FIFY
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

It's not that it lacked a plot, so much, as it is that the plot was unoriginal and uncreative. Pocahantas meets Dances with Wolves meets the Ewoks. You are right that action movies tend to have lame plots, but the visual and sound effects from Avatar were so spectacular and creative that the plot stood out like a sore thumb.

As opposed to the groundbreaking and unfamiliar stories of most action movies?

I'm speaking generally here, but every week the masses gather into theaters to watch movies and if you look at returns what they're choosing to watch are action movies that never have any new ideas in them and remakes which are quite literally regurgitations of stuff they've seen before. These same people lap it up and then single out Avatar which was supposed to have groundbreaking and never before seen VFX but it's also supposed to have the depth of an art house film? It's simply held to a different and ludicrous standard.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone watched the Avatar Blu-ray on a 65 OLED (4k) TV?

The graphics are freakin' phenomenal!

Even better than as it was shown in the movie theater.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

one of the most overrated movies (now franchises) of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

It remains the only 3D movie that doesn't lose the 3D wow factor 5 minutes into the movie (or even before previews).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Has anyone watched the Avatar Blu-ray on a 65 OLED (4k) TV?

The graphics are freakin' phenomenal!

Even better than as it was shown in the movie theater.

That has more to do with the OLED than it has to do with 4k. I think the IMAX version was shown on 8K projectors.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I thought the movie was stupid, the message was trite and overly simplistic, and I don't care about CGI nearly as much as other people do. Is it held to a fair standard? Frankly, I don't care, because comparing it to other blockbuster action movies is meaningless to me since many blockbuster action movies are crap too. Although was Avengers ever nominated for best film? Not that I recall, so I'm not so sure the standard Avatar was held to was so unfair, based on the accolades it got.

What I don't get is why are they doing this now when no one cares about Avatar anymore? Why not do this when it's hype was at its peak?
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

This is like....7 years too late. Besides, they killed the best character: The crazy general. He was cartoon villain insane and it made the movie watchable.

!...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I thought the movie was stupid, the message was trite and overly simplistic, and I don't care about CGI nearly as much as other people do. Is it held to a fair standard? Frankly, I don't care, because comparing it to other blockbuster action movies is meaningless to me since many blockbuster action movies are crap too. Although was Avengers ever nominated for best film? Not that I recall, so I'm not so sure the standard Avatar was held to was so unfair, based on the accolades it got.

What I don't get is why are they doing this now when no one cares about Avatar anymore? Why not do this when it's hype was at its peak?

Insultingly so. I'll take the action hero movies and their over regurgitation of good solid fun over the pretentiousness that was "Avatar".

I'll grant that at the time, it was an amazing technical achievement, but several movies have surpassed that AND provided much better and more interesting storytelling than Avatar.

I can't imagine what 2-5 are going to be like now that Cameron can't rely on a bunch of technicians crunching numbers to elevate these films above others.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:

As opposed to the groundbreaking and unfamiliar stories of most action movies?

I'm speaking generally here, but every week the masses gather into theaters to watch movies and if you look at returns what they're choosing to watch are action movies that never have any new ideas in them and remakes which are quite literally regurgitations of stuff they've seen before. These same people lap it up and then single out Avatar which was supposed to have groundbreaking and never before seen VFX but it's also supposed to have the depth of an art house film? It's simply held to a different and ludicrous standard.

Isn't that pretty much what I said in the last sentence of my post? I don't think we fundamentally disagree. Avatar gets held to a different standard because the plot did not match up to the immersiveness of the movie experience. There were people who had depression issues because they had to "leave" Pandora.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: