Between two players with an equal number of championships, whose record is more impressive: the one with fewer Finals appearances or the one with more?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is more impressive between two players with the same number of championships?
The one with the higher Finals winning percentage (but fewer appearances)
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
The one with more Finals appearances (but a lower winning percentage)
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 12

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Between two players with an equal number of championships, whose record is more impressive: the one with fewer Finals appearances or the one with more?

Should Finals appearances that don't result in championships count for or against a player's legacy? For example, would Magic's 5 for 9 record be considered more impressive than Duncan's 5 for 6 because he won three more conference titles than Duncan, or would Duncan's be considered more impressive since he only lost in the Finals once?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

My vote is for the player who had more NBA Finals appearances, and therefore lost more NBA Finals series, too ... I fail to see how being eliminated sooner in the season (or post-season) is a greater accomplishment, nor do I understand any argument for that position. I also reject conference arguments that some fans use to argue for devaluing a player's achievements in the R/S and postseason.

Jordan's 6/6 is impressive to me because he was Finals MVP each year, as well as the fact that he very likely would have eight rings and eight Finals MVPs right now if he hadn't retired for 1+ seasons in the mid-1990s. But Magic's 5/9 is generally more impressive to me (his opponents were better than Michael's opponents, too) ...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
My vote is for the player who had more NBA Finals appearances, and therefore lost more NBA Finals series, too ... I fail to see how being eliminated sooner in the season (or post-season) is a greater accomplishment, nor do I understand any argument for that position. I also reject conference arguments that some fans use to argue for devaluing a player's achievements in the R/S and postseason.

Jordan's 6/6 is impressive to me because he was Finals MVP each year, as well as the fact that he very likely would have eight rings and eight Finals MVPs right now if he hadn't retired for 1+ seasons in the mid-1990s. But Magic's 5/9 is generally more impressive to me (his opponents were better than Michael's opponents, too) ...

You would take Magic's 5/9 record over Jordan's 6/6? In this case, not only is Magic's percentage lower, but he also has fewer championships...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
the association wrote:

You would take Magic's 5/9 record over Jordan's 6/6? In this case, not only is Magic's percentage lower, but he also has fewer championships...

In that comparison (MJ vs. Magic), yeah ... I think Magic's postseason career was more impressive. I know that wasn't the thrust of your poll, but my view applies across the stream, too. I have Magic's 5/9 as a better achievement than Jordan's 6/6, but also better than Duncan's 5/6 and Kobe's 5/7, etc.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Magic unlike MJ didn't quit to take a year or two off....9 finals in 12 years is very impressive. The toll that takes on the body to play until June for so long is something that takes years off your career.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

i dont know why people insist on numerically figuring out if mj is better than magic or something. there's no way. the championships cant be used, nothing really can be used, because all the numbers have too many varying influences. you cant shortcut an understanding of basketball. you dont necessarily have to play, some guys just know without playing, but its VERY rare. i was going to say the van gundys but ive heard that even they can probably hold their own vs most casual ballers.

magic went to the finals almost every year. jordan did not reach the finals many of those same years, so theres that argument. jordan won all his finals, which is nice. but all that means is he lost in earlier rounds other years. why that is not considered in his perfect finals record is merely a marketing trick.

lebron has gone to a lot of finals. hes lost a lot. hes not nearly as popular as his predecessors like magic, mj, kobe, shaq. all arguments involving lebron are numerical, never about anything else. thats what he has going.

there are so many things making a numerical analysis impossible. like, lebron and all his stupid superteams. jordan not winning until the tail end of magic/bird. jordan playing with rodman, who kept him out of finals in earlier years. og dream team vs bronze. the insane amount of rule changes, i mean, its not even the same game really. its as different as horse is from 3 on 3.

my advice, if i may be so bold as to offer it, is to describe in words what makes one better than the other instead of just looking at the 6/6 5/9 numbers. what is there to say about that? this is all that can be said:
if you go by percentage, jordan is a higher percentage
if you go by number of appearances, magic has a higher number of appearances

neither of those tells someone which is "better". and im not being technical. its not even a little bit able to say that.

you can also say "The majority of public opinion would say that Jordan is the greatest ever." now that is technical. Jordan will say Kobe is better, and he says hes better than everyone else (like he will never say magic was better). Magic will say Jordan is better. Bird will say Jordan is better, and Bird also says Magic was better than him. Magic said Bird was better than him. Its sometimes difficult to separate what they are saying from just being polite vs whether they really believe it or not, but over the years that is what they have said.

for laker fans, its hard not to say magic wasnt the best (vs kobe). But we also know kobe is for sure a better basketball player overall, disregarding all those era arguments. big picture, everything being considered, its magic. magic played in the golden era, he was the reason for the golden era, he was the predecessor of not only the popular opinion GOAT JOrdan, but also the Laker predecessor for Kobe. With all those links, its hard not to see Magic as the most important character in pro basketball history.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Magic unlike MJ didn't quit to take a year or two off....9 finals in 12 years is very impressive. The toll that takes on the body to play until June for so long is something that takes years off your career.

I've always wondered what would MJ and the Bulls done if he hadn't taken two years.

They 3peated. He took two years off they didn't win the Larry O'Brien. He came back and lo and behold they 3peated.

If he hadn't take 2 off I always wondered would they have matched the Celtics 8 championships in a row?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I've always wondered what would MJ and the Bulls done if he hadn't taken two years.

They 3peated. He took two years off they didn't win the Larry O'Brien. He came back and lo and behold they 3peated.

If he hadn't take 2 off I always wondered would they have matched the Celtics 8 championships in a row?

you cant assume that if he didnt take the 2 years off he would just have rattled off 8 in a row. and you definitely cant use that as an argument to prove that hes better.

i dont care what anyone says, i put horry in the conversation also. not as GOAT, but if just look at finals, Horry is the best ever. you cant even say that hes just a role player/journeyman because half of those championships hang on his shots. so whatever the case may be, horry is the best.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

How would the Bulls have stopped Olajuwon?

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Between two players with an equal number of championships, whose record is more impressive: the one with fewer Finals appearances or the one with more?

CandyCanes wrote:
Should Finals appearances that don't result in championships count for or against a player's legacy? For example, would Magic's 5 for 9 record be considered more impressive than Duncan's 5 for 6 because he won three more conference titles than Duncan, or would Duncan's be considered more impressive since he only lost in the Finals once?

Practically, it doesn't matter. Fans care how many rings a guy gets. They don't care what round he got stopped in in other years.

But to answer your question, I think it's more impressive to get to the finals and lose than to not make the playoffs or get booted in the first round. The notion of a "finals batting average" makes no sense to me. But, like most people, I wouldn't factor this in when comparing two players.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

How would the Rockets have stopped MJ and Pippen?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Hard to say. For one thing, they always had trouble against Hakeem. Even in years when the Rockets were a crappy team, they gave the Bulls fits.

Bottom line: imaginary championships don't matter.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Fatigue matters. You can't say they would have gotten 8 championships if MJ didn't retire....Remember when the Lakers looked invincible after they won 3 championships and then the next season got swept? Playing into June every season takes a toll on the players. Players bodies break down if they don't get adequate time to recuperate.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

not just olojuwan, bulls would have issues with the rockets team. doesnt mean they would lose the series, but its not as crazy as it sounds now. the bulls were a weird team for their time, not having a star center. iirc, even elden played surprisngly well against the bulls superteams.

also, other than those two years, its not like those rockets were really a big threat for championships. so im not sure if its so obvious about how good they were.

man, if we can land paul george that would be great. i think paul george on a contending team would be a monster.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

you cant assume that if he didnt take the 2 years off he would just have rattled off 8 in a row. and you definitely cant use that as an argument to prove that hes better.

i dont care what anyone says, i put horry in the conversation also. not as GOAT, but if just look at finals, Horry is the best ever. you cant even say that hes just a role player/journeyman because half of those championships hang on his shots. so whatever the case may be, horry is the best.

Horry was a solid player who made clutch shots for a lot of great teams. He was mostly the 5-8th best guy on the team. He had a weird career in that he had a lot of big moments but overall he was nothing special.

The way I look at it: Horry was a guy who could get a great team over the hump, but he wasn't great enough to get a team to the hump.

It's hard to find anyone who really compares to him, but maybe the closest may be Derek Fisher.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Horry was a solid player who made clutch shots for a lot of great teams. He was mostly the 5-8th best guy on the team. He had a weird career in that he had a lot of big moments but overall he was nothing special.

The way I look at it: Horry was a guy who could get a great team over the hump, but he wasn't great enough to get a team to the hump.

It's hard to find anyone who really compares to him, but maybe the closest may be Derek Fisher.

i dont know about an attitude like that. to look at horry's finals performances and see it as "the 5-8" best guy just shows me a mindset that is not really into basketball, but more into looking at numbers like an accountant. not impressed, eh? Horry is going to the hall of fame, just for the finals stuff, nothing else.

fisher did have a lot, thats true. i sometimes argue that fisher is kobe's real pippen, not shaq or pau. but you can imagine how that turns out.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Fatigue matters. You can't say they would have gotten 8 championships if MJ didn't retire....Remember when the Lakers looked invincible after they won 3 championships and then the next season got swept? Playing into June every season takes a toll on the players. Players bodies break down if they don't get adequate time to recuperate.

I've never understood this. The off-season is nearly five months even if you play in the Finals every year. How is that not enough time to recover?

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I've never understood this. The off-season is nearly five months even if you play in the Finals every year. How is that not enough time to recover?

No it isn't....its more like 3.5 months, if you count training camp. Then the good players usually have international basketball obligations like Team USA at some point of their career. So for some summers they will have even less rest time to recover, especially if they are playing in a FIBA or Olympic tournament.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

No it isn't....its more like 3.5 months, if you count training camp. Then the good players usually have international basketball obligations like Team USA at some point of their career. So for some summers they will have even less rest time to recover, especially if they are playing in a FIBA or Olympic tournament.

Okay, so counting training camp, it's 3.5 months. How is that not enough time to recover?

Someone who appears in the Finals only plays between 8-14 more games than someone eliminated in the conference semi-finals.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Horry is going to the hall of fame, just for the finals stuff, nothing else.

Horry sure doesn't fit any of the traditional Hall standards -- he never came close to making an all-star team and was a backup most of his career.

He's been eligible for three years and never even made the finals list -- that's not a good sign for his eventual inclusion.

I think Horry put it best: "If I hit it, we win. If I miss it, you're going to blame the stars for losing the game. There's no pressure on me."

No one really expected much from him, so his big shots stick in people's minds, but they forget things like him going 2 for 38 from 3-point range for us in the 2003 playoffs.

Last edited by activeverb on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I think it's less about the physical fatigue than the mental fatigue.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject:

Depends on the context. For example, what LeBron did in 2007 shouldn't be held against him (except insofar to show the East has been weak for a long while). So if he were 6-1 in the Finals, I'd find that more impressive than Jordan's 6-0. On the flip side, going to the Finals and losing a team you should beat like the 2011 Heat did should be held against you, so if he were 6-1 in this circumstance, I'd find it less impressive than 6-0.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I reread my post numerous times. I can't find where I assumed anything.

Nowhere have I made an argument he's better than anyone.

I wondered if. Your post makes an analogy on what you perceive not what I wondered.

About Horry, he was never The Man. He was always a sidekick, Tonto, Robin.

Relating to who's better I go with Michael. There are to many variables to make a positive determination. That's JMHO.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

You don't stop The Dream, you slow him down. You throw Perdue, Cartwriight a little bit of Nevitt at him, wear him slow down a bit.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Hard to say. For one thing, they always had trouble against Hakeem. Even in years when the Rockets were a crappy team, they gave the Bulls fits.

Bottom line: imaginary championships don't matter.

I'm chuckling at the responses to my wondering. Never said he would one way or the other, just WONDERED!

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: