What final superstar piece do you think Magic/Lakers have in mind?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who could be the final piece to the puzzle?
Demarcus Cousins
45%
 45%  [ 18 ]
Kevin Love
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Jimmy Butler
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Gordon Hayward
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Carmelo Anthony
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Chris Paul
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 40

lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

DeMarcus Cousins.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
2019 wrote:
IMO Gordon Hayward is going to be heavily heavily heavily targeted but Luke and Mitch. I see Magic supporting that decision and getting involved in trying to acquire him.

We'll see what happens with this pick but if we got it, I could see us trying to move either Ingram or the pick for a guy like George or Butler and then trying to convince Hayward to come. That is probably the dream scenario to not strip the team of young guys but also become a threat right now.

That pick holds tremendous value right now and opportunity.

Yeah the pick does serve value that is assuming however that the Lakers know and have a inside track of trading the pick for a superstar cause we can't keep stock piling young players, year after year cause that doesn't improve the team unless you land another LeBron in the draft.

huh?

What I said was that I would think management, whoever you consider that to be, would be very open to trading some piece(s) of the core, including the pick if we got it) for even a second tier star like Butler or George. Especially if they knew we that would entice Hayward. Something like Ingram, Deng, Clarkson for Butler. Then show that to Gordon and hope he wants to sign Hayward.

Like I said if they have a strategy then sure the pick can end up changing our fortunes next season I'm not gonna argue on that.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
DeMarcus Cousins.

Best case deal to get him: Randle, Clarkson, Moz (cap filler), maybe 2019 #1 pick?

Worst case: Ingram or Russell + above minus pick?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:
Here is a funny thought. Isaiah Thomas is probably more of a star than half those guys right now. Instead we chose Lou Williams for what reason I will never know.

Taller.

It was Nick Young.

Isiah signed summer of 2014. We opted to sign Nick that year after the big inflated #'s year with D'antoni (and a huge chunk of us were pissed we didn't sign IT instead). What hurts even more if IT wanted to come here and when asked about the Lakers said we never even called.

Lou Williams signed summer of 2015.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

There are only about 9 players that are good enough players to be the best player on a championship team in the NBA

1 Lebron - not coming
2 Harden - not coming
3 curry - not coming
4 Anthony Davis - not coming and would need a great 2 + 3 to win
5 Westbrook - not coming and would need a great 2 and the best interior d in the league to win
6 Durant - not coming
7 Leonard - not coming and would need 2 more all stars to win
8 CP3 - not coming and needs 2 all stars to win
9 paul George - needs 2-3 all stars + a top coach

To me, the only guy we have a shot at is paul George. He's local and young and could play the position where we have no future prospects, SG. He is available without having to trade anybody at the end of next season and if we punt our cap space and let nick and Lou walk we have room.

He is only coming if dlo and Randle make huge strides forward next year and BI had to improve a ton. If we can go .500 next season and one of those two guys becomes an all star prospect we have a chance at him.

A lot of ifs, but magic is wrong...we are way more than one player away and if the guys we have don't improve; nobody will come.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
If, IF, the Lakers were able to put together a package for Cousins, would Hayward then consider this team in free agency? As this team stands now they probably wouldn't get a meeting with him.

I dont get the feeling Hayward would be all excited to play with Cousins.

I think Hayward r-esigns or goes to Boston. Makes me sick to my stomach to admit it but Boston has a top 5 MVP candidate, is a contending team, has the incoming NJ picks and has a max slot (I believe). As for the proverbial icing on the cake, his college coach is there too .

As great a story as Thomas has been, I don't think anyone's buying that he's capable of leading a team to a championship. Using advanced stats in any pitch meeting, the Lakers could probably take apart his game pretty thoroughly.

You really, really don't want to do the advanced stats game and bring up Demarcus Cousins because if we want to start picking apart someone's game...
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
DeMarcus Cousins.

Best case deal to get him: Randle, Clarkson, Moz (cap filler), maybe 2019 #1 pick?

The thing about trading for Cousins is the fact that he is not a great rim protector and we already have a 19 year old Zubac on the roster, who is a much better rim protector, better teammate, better attitude, better basketball iq, etc. I feel we would go further with Zubac as our starting center, moving forward, even though he is very young at this time. I would honestly prefer to trade Ingram over Zubac. I dont know if a pf/c rotation of Cousins/Zubac would be a good fit either since that really isnt a Luke's offense type thing.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
There are only about 9 players that are good enough players to be the best player on a championship team in the NBA

1 Lebron - not coming
2 Harden - not coming
3 curry - not coming
4 Anthony Davis - not coming and would need a great 2 + 3 to win
5 Westbrook - not coming and would need a great 2 and the best interior d in the league to win
6 Durant - not coming
7 Leonard - not coming and would need 2 more all stars to win
8 CP3 - not coming and needs 2 all stars to win
9 paul George - needs 2-3 all stars + a top coach

To me, the only guy we have a shot at is paul George. He's local and young and could play the position where we have no future prospects, SG. He is available without having to trade anybody at the end of next season and if we punt our cap space and let nick and Lou walk we have room.

He is only coming if dlo and Randle make huge strides forward next year and BI had to improve a ton. If we can go .500 next season and one of those two guys becomes an all star prospect we have a chance at him.

A lot of ifs, but magic is wrong...we are way more than one player away and if the guys we have don't improve; nobody will come.

The biggest if is 4 yeras @ $130m vs 5 years @ $205m. 33/year over 4 years versus 41/years over 5 (someone probably has the precise figures).. Man, that's a crazy chunk of change to walk away from...unheard disparity. Going to take some massive stones for an all-NBA type to walk away from his team now .
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
defense wrote:
Here is a funny thought. Isaiah Thomas is probably more of a star than half those guys right now. Instead we chose Lou Williams for what reason I will never know.

Taller.

It was Nick Young.

Isiah signed summer of 2014. We opted to sign Nick that year after the big inflated #'s year with D'antoni (and a huge chunk of us were pissed we didn't sign IT instead). What hurts even more if IT wanted to come here and when asked about the Lakers said we never even called.

Lou Williams signed summer of 2015.
Yeah, that really stings. That is a bad mark on Laker management, but you cant win them all I guess.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
DeMarcus Cousins.

The thing about trading for Cousins is the fact that he is not a great rim protector and we already have a 19 year old Zubac on the roster, who is a much better rim protector, better teammate, better attitude, better basketball iq, etc. I feel we would go further with Zubac as our starting center, moving forward, even though he is very young at this time. I would honestly prefer to trade Ingram over Zubac. I dont know if a pf/c rotation of Cousins/Zubac would be a good fit either since that really isnt a Luke's offense type thing.

I like Zu quite a bit, one of the reasons I didn't include him in any of those scenarios, but I think you're overrating him just a tad...
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
scoobs wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
DeMarcus Cousins.

I like Zu quite a bit, one of the reasons I didn't include him in any of those scenarios, but I think you're overrating him just a tad...
Nah, worse case scenario, he is a guy that could get 2-3 blocks per game and another 5-6 altered shots. That makes a huge impact. THat is not even mentioning his offensive game and his age. Cousins is a great nba center, but he isnt half as good at impacting the game defensively as Zubac.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
scoobs wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
DeMarcus Cousins.

Nah, worse case scenario, he is a guy that could get 2-3 blocks per game and another 5-6 altered shots. That makes a huge impact. THat is not even mentioning his offensive game and his age. Cousins is a great nba center, but he isnt half as good at impacting the game defensively as Zubac.

If he's even in the paint and they haven't dragged him away to exploit on pick and rolls....
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

We are more than a "final piece" away from contending.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Magic meant Paul George. I imagine he would be very, very expensive though. Probably would cost us Russell, Ingram, Randle and Clarkson. We would probably also have to absorb Ellis's contract. That being said, I would consider it. Butler is a similar player, but less three point shooting and ball handling. I wouldnt mind getting him either, while keeping Russell.
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Surely Magic doesn't actually believe this? I think even if the Lakers had a PG13 or Cousins etc they still wouldn't be a contender. Most likely make the playoffs but that's it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
Surely Magic doesn't actually believe this? I think even if the Lakers had a PG13 or Cousins etc they still wouldn't be a contender. Most likely make the playoffs but that's it.

Just read his twitter greatest hits. He's the apotheosis of the "average fan". I'm pretty sure he does.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
DeMarcus Cousins.

In no way is Cousins a Luke type of player.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:

He does. And know he's part of our FO.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject:

I'm reading that as Magic saying, current team as constructed + one superstar = contenders.

So how does Magic plan on getting that superstar while keeping the team whole? I know he can do Magic and all, but c'mon.

I'm going to chalk his comment up as Magic just being his positive self. He doesn't truly believe that.
frank70
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject:

[quote="jonnybravo"]
Fortysixn2 wrote:

The biggest if is 4 yeras @ $130m vs 5 years @ $205m. 33/year over 4 years versus 41/years over 5 (someone probably has the precise figures).. Man, that's a crazy chunk of change to walk away from...unheard disparity. Going to take some massive stones for an all-NBA type to walk away from his team now .

It's a lot of money, no question. But in daily life does it really, really matter? I mean those top-guys earn between 200-300 million dollars in their careers (without marketing deals). Do you really want to play in Sacramento or Indiana your whole career without a chance to win because it is soooo important to have 40 millions more in your bank account if all is said and done. 260 millions instead of 300 million dollars. What is the difference? Maybe it is because i am from Europe that i cannot quite understand it. But if i can go to a better destination with better chances to win (not necessarily the Lakers in their current state) .... 260 million dollars isn't enough for the rest of your life? Or is it a machismo thing?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject:

Marcus Banks.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject:

I doubt it's wise today to conceive of the best possible Laker future in terms of steps required to acquire a theoretical "final" superstar piece, whether it's as a fan, a GM or an owner.

There are probably several intermediate steps to be achieved before a final piece could even be conceptualized. Every slot on the roster today is open for a better replacement. Essentially, the Lakers have no current player who's untouchable to a trade in the next year. The "final" piece concept ? Premature.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

Paul George in 2018 if he doesn't make another ALL NBA team. Also if we have the needed the cap space which is a question mark.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject:

Realistically Demarcus but it's gonna take prob Ingram/Russell + Randle + Lou + pick
and I'm not sure we want him on the team
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:
I'm reading that as Magic saying, current team as constructed + one superstar = contenders.

So how does Magic plan on getting that superstar while keeping the team whole? I know he can do Magic and all, but c'mon.

I'm going to chalk his comment up as Magic just being his positive self. He doesn't truly believe that.

He thinks his presence will be able to help the Lakers sign that guy. But of course I'm sure Magic is out of touch with new CBA combined with limited flexibility we have due to the MozDeng signings.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: