Best Man Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Best Man Advice

I got asked to be the best man at my friend's wedding in September.

I assume someone here has been a best man before. Any tips of what exactly I should do?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

keep it short
Some embarassing moment but not the worst ones
Compliment the bride
Funny stuff between you and groom

HAVE FUN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I've had that honor twice, the most recent being my roommate who just got married 2 weeks ago.

As best man your responsibilities are mainly:

1) Plan & organize the bachelor party
2) Give a speech/toast at the reception
3) Help the groom out in whatever way he needs to take the stress off

Idk how well you know the groom, but I assume pretty well since he asked you and you accepted. Really as long as you put what your boy needs first to make his wedding a success you should be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
keep it short
Compliment the bride

HAVE FUN

Absolutely. My toast was like 2 mins tops. Had some serious notes of compliments but several jokes that the audience could get and relate too. It was fun
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
spideysense
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
governator wrote:
keep it short
Compliment the bride

HAVE FUN

Absolutely. My toast was like 2 mins tops. Had some serious notes of compliments but several jokes that the audience could get and relate too. It was fun

Spot on. Not saying you have to do this, but I ran the speech by the groom just to make sure it was 'appropriate'.

I made sure to talk to the groom often, just to see if he's having any cold feet, issues, etc.

The best best man duty is of course planning the bachelor party. Just make sure you brainstorm ideas with the groom and you can go from there. Just make sure to stick to stuff that he wants to do and not do things out of left field. 1 thing I would suggest for the party is collecting money beforehand (cash, paypal, etc). That way you won't have the foot the entirety of the bill.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

spideysense wrote:
22 wrote:
governator wrote:
keep it short
Compliment the bride

HAVE FUN

Spot on. Not saying you have to do this, but I ran the speech by the groom just to make sure it was 'appropriate'.

I made sure to talk to the groom often, just to see if he's having any cold feet, issues, etc.

The best best man duty is of course planning the bachelor party. Just make sure you brainstorm ideas with the groom and you can go from there. Just make sure to stick to stuff that he wants to do and not do things out of left field. 1 thing I would suggest for the party is collecting money beforehand (cash, paypal, etc). That way you won't have the foot the entirety of the bill.

Excellent advice
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
governator wrote:
keep it short
Compliment the bride

HAVE FUN

I've done this twice. Definitely keep it short. Tell a funny story, say something nice from the heart and get out. I went to a wedding once where the bride's father spoke for probably 45 minutes. It was a nightmare.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
22 wrote:
governator wrote:
keep it short
Compliment the bride

HAVE FUN

I've done this twice. Definitely keep it short. Tell a funny story, say something nice from the heart and get out. I went to a wedding once where the bride's father spoke for probably 45 minutes. It was a nightmare.

Definitely keep your speech short! Say something funny, but not necessarily embarrassing...unless he doesn't mind you talking about it. Also, you would be better served to write your speech down so you can be sure to say what you need to say without rambling. While it's nice to "speak from the heart", many of those who go that route have fragmented thoughts and stories in their speech that make it hard for an audience to follow. I'd also advise to keep your alcohol consumption down as little as possible prior to giving your speech so you don't look all sloppy!

As for your "duties", everyone has given good advice. More than anything you want to send your friend off right, so just be sure to do something that HE wants to do for his party. You shouldn't feel compelled to do the usual Vegas binge unless that's what he really wants. There are so many other things that can be done and be just as (if not more) memorable. "Outdoor" trips, doing a sporting event road-trip, whatever he truly enjoys just try to make it an outing for a group of friends to do.

In general, you just need to be his wingman in being able to help him out with anything possible to make his life easier while also making the big day go as flawlessly as possible. Make yourself available to him whether it be for helping with planning, setting things up, picking stuff up, handling small problems on the wedding day that don't really require his attention, etc.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

Just one drink prior to giving your speech.

It's a special day for your friend but there is stress going on. You just need to be the text book wingman, supportive and encouraging.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

1) Things will need to get done, so make them happen. Remember there's other groomsmen / relatives so delegate if possible but checkup on them.

2) Don't let the Groom / Groomsmen have too much alcohol before the ceremony. It just gets ugly.

3) What everyone else said.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

Watch the episode of The Office where Phyllis gets married and just use everything that Michael Scott does as a template.

Good luck!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

your main job is to just throw a sick bachelor party. For the wedding just dont do something stupid.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Just watch Wedding Crashers and The Hangover and copy the things they did.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
your main job is to just throw a sick bachelor party. For the wedding just dont do something stupid.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/jealousy.png
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: