2017 MLB Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: 2017 MLB Thread

Football is over, and pitchers and catchers start reporting in a few days, so I guess it's that time.

Proposed Rule Changes for the Strike Zone and Intentional Walks

The intentional walk rule is long overdue, albeit not that big of a deal. I'm on the fence about the strike zone. I'm not sold that making the strike zone smaller will result in more balls in play.

Buyers' Market for Home Run Hitters

This is an interesting piece about the impact of sabermetrics on guys like Chris Carter. We always knew that guys like Kingman and Deer were overrated because all they contributed was HRs. Now the stats make this glaringly obvious. The shift to the modern paradigm, with power hitters up and down the lineup, also makes a guy who hits 35 HRs less special.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Meh. Baseball is always boring until the playoffs AH

Jk, I look forward to Laker night at Dodger Stadium again this year
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Please don't let it be a team I dislike.

I'm convinced the Cubs gave their curse to the rest of the world when they won the WS.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Please don't let it be a team I dislike.

I'm convinced the Cubs gave their curse to the rest of the world when they won the WS.

Here's hoping.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 MLB Thread

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Football is over, and pitchers and catchers start reporting in a few days, so I guess it's that time.

Proposed Rule Changes for the Strike Zone and Intentional Walks

The intentional walk rule is long overdue, albeit not that big of a deal. I'm on the fence about the strike zone. I'm not sold that making the strike zone smaller will result in more balls in play.

I remember a Dodgers game may years ago where the opposing team decided to intentionally walk I believe Eric Karros. On the very first pitch, the guy threw it so weird that it actually ended up as a strike. It was interesting to see a catcher standing upright with his arm out and ending up having to crouch down to catch the pitch, and it was a strike. The Dodger eventually struck out at the plate. I guess those unique occurrences will be a thing of the past with that rule change.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 MLB Thread

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
I remember a Dodgers game may years ago where the opposing team decided to intentionally walk I believe Eric Karros. On the very first pitch, the guy threw it so weird that it actually ended up as a strike. It was interesting to see a catcher standing upright with his arm out and ending up having to crouch down to catch the pitch, and it was a strike. The Dodger eventually struck out at the plate. I guess those unique occurrences will be a thing of the past with that rule change.

If you're old enough to remember the '72 Series, there was a famous play in which Rollie Fingers struck out Johnny Bench on a fake intentional ball four. I remember Bench kept insisting afterwards that he wasn't really fooled. I can remember hearing stories as a kid about people trying to steal home on intentional walks. I never saw that with my own eyes, though.

Actually, it occurred to me that the play from the '72 Series must be on YouTube. Sure enough. It sounds like Johnny Bench finally developed a sense of humor about it.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

I don't like an automatic walk AT ALL. You should have to actually throw the pitches. It's like in football if you were just allowed to not have to snap the ball at the end, in the victory formation...like if they just gave you a free down and the clock keeps running. I think it's ridiculous. Anything can happen. You should have to still actually complete the act.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

Napoli to the Rangers.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/215390370/rangers-mike-napoli-agree-to-1-year-contract/

The amount of the contract is not yet public.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I don't like an automatic walk AT ALL. You should have to actually throw the pitches. It's like in football if you were just allowed to not have to snap the ball at the end, in the victory formation...like if they just gave you a free down and the clock keeps running. I think it's ridiculous. Anything can happen. You should have to still actually complete the act.

Yeah...the motivation behind is equally silly. Speed up the game? Really? Those 4 pitches in the midst of 3-5 hour affair is going to move the needle one way?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

The proposed hat-helmet hybrid for pitchers:

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-18653575

Given how rare it is for pitchers to get hit in the head, this strikes me as unnecessary. However, if I was a pitcher, I'd think about it.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18648532/mlb-test-rule-change-minor-leagues-focusing-extra-innings

Quote:
Yahoo! Sports, citing sources, reported Wednesday that MLB will test a rule change in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League and the Arizona League this summer that will automatically place a runner on second base at the start of extra innings.

A similar rule has been used internationally and will be in place for next month's World Baseball Classic.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

If the automatic runner scores, who does the run get charged to?

Anyway, I'd be surprised if that rule finds much traction. That's a little too radical for baseball.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18658184/what-does-jeffrey-loria-get-mishandling-miami-marlins-pure-profit

Loria makes out like a bandit treating the Marlins franchise the way he has. Just like Frank McCourt, they make a lot of money mismanaging their franchise on purpose. Even worse is that he's got 2 World Series titles during his tenure, which is more than anything the McCourts ever did.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

The first World Series title was during the Huizenga era, and the second came right after he bought the team. Loria went from owning the Expos to getting $1.6B for the Marlins. This begs the question: Why is someone paying $1.6B for the freaking Marlins? It's not a question of the team being poor for a long time -- that can be fixed. But it is still a team in a weak sports market. How in the world can you justify that sort of price tag?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18658184/what-does-jeffrey-loria-get-mishandling-miami-marlins-pure-profit

Loria makes out like a bandit treating the Marlins franchise the way he has. Just like Frank McCourt, they make a lot of money mismanaging their franchise on purpose. Even worse is that he's got 2 World Series titles during his tenure, which is more than anything the McCourts ever did.

5 championships in 20 years for that city is the biggest travesty in sports.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The first World Series title was during the Huizenga era, and the second came right after he bought the team. Loria went from owning the Expos to getting $1.6B for the Marlins. This begs the question: Why is someone paying $1.6B for the freaking Marlins? It's not a question of the team being poor for a long time -- that can be fixed. But it is still a team in a weak sports market. How in the world can you justify that sort of price tag?

The baseball industry is just so healthy right now, and it's awash in cash. If the new owner doesn't run the franchise into the ground, in 20 years it will be worth double that.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The first World Series title was during the Huizenga era, and the second came right after he bought the team.

Ah... that's right. Loria was just part of the Expos ownership that eventually became the Washington Nationals. A lot of backroom dealing going on with the franchises at the time. It still amazes me how the good ol' boys network in MLB can let in sham owners over the years, all the way back to Marge Schott to the McCourts.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
The baseball industry is just so healthy right now, and it's awash in cash. If the new owner doesn't run the franchise into the ground, in 20 years it will be worth double that.

Pro sports in general are experiencing a bubble due to TV money. Bubbles burst.

As for the Marlins, here's the Forbes analysis. We should take their opinion about the value of the Marlins with a grain of salt, of course. But look at the other numbers and see if you can make sense of paying $1.6B for this team.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/miami-marlins/

Congrats to Loria for selling high.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Plus if they are losing money it can be a nice tax write off.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

As for the Marlins, here's the Forbes analysis. We should take their opinion about the value of the Marlins with a grain of salt, of course. But look at the other numbers and see if you can make sense of paying $1.6B for this team.

Or a new bubble is created, and for some sports I think that bubble will be pay per view team telecast subscriptions.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

As part of Black History Month, here is a retrospective on Bob Watson, the first black GM. He was a better player than a GM (his career numbers are depressed due to playing in the Astrodome), but he did okay.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/215810926/bob-watson-overcame-racism-in-astros-career/
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Apparently, the union did not agree to the rule changes, so MLB will unilaterally impose the changes for next season. There are other reports that the intentional walk change did get approved for this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-no-rule-changes-in-2017-many-could-come-in-2018/
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

I hadn't heard about the rule change involving putting marks on the field. The Dodgers were using GPS to position their outfielders? I'm a fan of modern analytics, but that's a bit much.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-kills-intentional-walk-chalk-on-the-grass/ar-AAnIH5a?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Or a new bubble is created, and for some sports I think that bubble will be pay per view team telecast subscriptions.

Problem is millennials don't watch as much sports, or TV in general as much as the previous generation.....this will be evident when a lot of TV contracts get renewed in the future and networks balk at higher costs when they can't a return on their investments because too many people ended up cutting the cord.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Saw an article on msn ranking the managers. Surprised to see Dave Roberts ranked only 19. He did a much better job than that ranking. It'll be interesting to see what changes Dave Roberts makes in his coaching decisions this season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: