View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
Anyone check out the bench clearing brawl between the Nats and the Gnats?

Could be my Doyer bias but, anyone else think Posey's a (bleep) for not protecting his pitcher?

Yes, check your bias on this one

Posey was 100% in the right there. The pitcher who beaned Harper did so because Harper hit two homers off him in the divisional series 3 years ago, a series which the Giants WON on the way to their WS win. It's a joke. Posey's body language showed what we all were thinking.

Posey is one of the only Giants I really like and I'd love to have him on the Dodgers.

Related: The unwritten rules of waiting several years to throw a baseball at Bryce Harper

no joke, I actually like him too. It's hard to hate on him but, even the most mild mannered, catcher (AJ Ellis) wasn't afraid to tackle Carlos Quentin to protect Greinke. You still have to protect your pitcher. At least make an attempt to run towards Harper

Read the section on Posey in the article I linked (or see my edit last post). This was 100% on the pitcher being a total idiot. No reason for Posey to stick up for him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I think Crash Davis would have handled it better. "Did you hit him with your pitching hand, Meat?"
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Could be my Doyer bias but, anyone else think Posey's a (bleep) for not protecting his pitcher?

Posey was 100% in the right there. The pitcher who beaned Harper did so because Harper hit two homers off him in the divisional series 3 years ago, a series which the Giants WON on the way to their WS win. It's a joke. Posey's body language showed what we all were thinking.

Posey is one of the only Giants I really like and I'd love to have him on the Dodgers.

Related: The unwritten rules of waiting several years to throw a baseball at Bryce Harper

no joke, I actually like him too. It's hard to hate on him but, even the most mild mannered, catcher (AJ Ellis) wasn't afraid to tackle Carlos Quentin to protect Greinke. You still have to protect your pitcher. At least make an attempt to run towards Harper

Read the section on Posey in the article I linked (or see my edit last post). This was 100% on the pitcher being a total idiot. No reason for Posey to stick up for him.

The point isn't whether or not Strickland was in the wrong. Like the article said, what if that helmet connected with Strickland? Harper's a big boy, what if he would've knocked his arse out and gave him a concussion? Thank God no one was hurt but, Posey getting involved prevents stuff like that from happening.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

The unwritten rules of baseball are stupid. If Strickland wants to get his butt kicked, let him. My respect level for Posey (though already sky high) went up after his reaction to the whole situation.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

What Strickland did was totally bush league, and that's why Posey had no interest in sticking up for him.

As for AJ Ellis sticking up for Greinke, well, he should have. Greinke was not trying to hit him on that pitch. It was a 3-2 pitch, the Dodgers had a 1-run lead at the time in the 5th or 6th inning (I think), and it's not like he threw behind him and hit him in the back. Greinke likes to pitch inside and Quentin was one of those hitters (like Anthony Rizzo) who really crowds the plate. Quentin reacted like a wuss and caused that entire situation.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Here's some Willie Mays trivia. I am just old enough to remember Willie when he could still play, but not quite old enough to remember him in his prime. He's the benchmark that Trout will be chasing, if he can stay healthy.

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/132158/24-ways-to-remember-willie-mays
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Harper gets four games, Strickland gets six.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

The point isn't whether or not Strickland was in the wrong. Like the article said, what if that helmet connected with Strickland? Harper's a big boy, what if he would've knocked his arse out and gave him a concussion? Thank God no one was hurt but, Posey getting involved prevents stuff like that from happening.

Then Posey would get injured. An All-Star catcher and a lynchpin of their offense >>>> bone-headed reliever that will eventually flame out once his fastball speed diminishes with age. Could've also been Posey called something different and his pitcher shut him down so therefore he's on his own. It's a 2-0 game so this is captain's punishment for doing a dumbass move on his own call. You bury yourself (and the team), don't expect me to do the regular response.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

An Astros note: In a three game series at Minnesota, our pitching staff gave up 16 runs. This is not a problem when you score 40. I don't know what's gotten into the 'Stros, but this has been an interesting year.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
An Astros note: In a three game series at Minnesota, our pitching staff gave up 16 runs. This is not a problem when you score 40. I don't know what's gotten into the 'Stros, but this has been an interesting year.

Minute Maid Park is a hitter's park. The hitters have figured out how to use it to their advantage I guess.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
The unwritten rules of baseball are stupid. If Strickland wants to get his butt kicked, let him. My respect level for Posey (though already sky high) went up after his reaction to the whole situation.

Agreed. Strickland is a clown...had the Nationals reacted (and they were 100% in the right to do so), Posey would have been the target. Baker handled the entire thing with class. Giants locker room should do this to Strickland:

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Minute Maid Park is a hitter's park. The hitters have figured out how to use it to their advantage I guess.

Actually, it really isn't. Since you mention it, here are some five year numbers on the various parks. Minute Maid is middle of the pack. Minute Maid is actually ranked much lower this year, but that is probably a statistical fluke based on a small number of games:

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/page/mlbdk2k16_parkfactors/which-parks-most-least-favorable-fantasy-baseball-hitters-pitchers-mlb

It's sort of remarkable how much Coors Field stands out. On the other hand, I find it impressive that Trout posts such huge numbers in Angels Stadium. What would he do in a hitters' park?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

Mr. Met shows that he is, in fact, a New Yorker.

https://twitter.com/tonyt3535/status/870092668084375552
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

Does it seem that the home plate umpiring this season has been worse than usual? Players will need to adjust with the strange strike zones being implemented out there.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

I would say that it's been a little spotty this year, but it is so much better than the old days that I can't complain. The use of technology has really clamped down on the umpires with exotic strike zones. When you see a broadcast using the technology, it's rare to see a mistake on anything other than the borderline pitches.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

It's the 15 year anniversary of the SI article on steroids that blew up MLB for a few years. I remember this well. Ken Caminiti was a cautionary tale. He came up to the Astros around the same time as Bagwell and Biggio. He was a fan favorite at the time. Still, I always got the sense that there was something not quite right about Caminiti. In hindsight, I wonder whether he had substance abuse issues all the way back then. Anyway, his drug problems and death at a young age were not a shock, really. Appropriately, this SI article will be a bigger part of his legacy than his juiced MVP with the Padres.

However, I strongly disagree with the slant of this article blaming the union for obstruction. The owners knew it. The coaches knew it. The players knew it. The media knew it. Hell, most of the fans knew it. Blaming this on the union -- which is supposed to protect the interests of the players -- is a load of BS. I say this in part from my perspective as a labor and employment lawyer. The union had specific duties that are defined in the law, and those duties did not include helping the owners to scapegoat the players for something that everyone in baseball had allowed to happen.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/06/01/ped-totally-juiced-ken-caminiti
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

Good to see my Cards cutting the dead wood in the organization and seeing what the young players can do. That is what this season should be about, they aren't good enough to win the division.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

That depends on whether the Cubs continue to struggle. We're a third of the way into the season now, and the Cubs still look hung over from last year.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That depends on whether the Cubs continue to struggle. We're a third of the way into the season now, and the Cubs still look hung over from last year.

I don't think that will last. They're fortunate to be in the Central where they're a good week from being in first. Just like the Dodgers were 1 game over .500 around this time last season if I recall.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

That is true, the Cards went on a 10-game road win streak last month and went to the top of the division.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Two more outfield misplays by the Cardinals today. Cost them the game.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Pujols just hit #600, a grand salami off Ervin Santana.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

That was awesome. Doing it in style in front of the home crowd. He was I think 0-15 since 599.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Pujols just hit #600, a grand salami off Ervin Santana.

Well deserved.

On another note, surprised to see Ervin Santana's ERA for the year even with the bad game. Guy is probably the most inconsistent pitcher in baseball right now. One season he gives you an ace worthy statline, the next, a statline that makes you wonder why he's even playing baseball.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

Next up on the list:

Cabrera at 451. I think he'll make 500. If he stays healthy and productive, I guess he could push 600. He's 34, so it's possible that he could make it, though unlikely.

Adrian Beltre at 446. He's 38. He should reach 3,000 hits this summer. He has had some injury problems, so he might have to play two more years to reach 500 HRs.

Carlos Beltran at 428. He's 40.

I don't see anyone else who is a major threat to hit 500, much less 600.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: