Moz and Deng to the pine...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Moz and Deng to the pine...

I'm glad it finally happened. Neither of them deserved starting let alone significant playing time.

I don't care that they got the big contracts, that's done, but why compound it by letting their mediocre play drag the team down.

So they gave the Young'uns some time to ease into the bigger minutes, now it's time for them to ride the bench unless they can contribute more.

I am especially disappointed with Deng as I was expecting someone who could at least hit open shots. Moz hasn't done much either with has clumsy hands, inability to dunk and make easy close in shots.

If the Lakers wanted them to give veteran guidance, they can do it from the bench like MWP does.

MWP, Moz, Deng, Calderon, it's too bad the Lakers wasted so many spots on ineffective over the hill veterans. I could see keeping one but four?

Time for the Young'uns to show what they got.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

Lakers definitely showed more energy especially on the defensive end with Moz and Deng on the bench. I hope that continues in games going forward.

We have need to give Zubac minutes for a while and he is definitely contributing off the bench. Good place for him to start rather that throwing him to wolves in the starting line up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject:

This will be Luke's first big test. How to manage Moz (more so than Deng IMO) and his possible DNP-CDs.

Will the Lakers move Black so that Zub/Moz takes the minutes (and Nance/Randle take small ball minute)? That way Moz could get 10 mpg. But yeah, pretty disappointing that we dropped this much on Moz.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject:

I know is beating a dead horse, but there was no need to give out 4 year deals to 30+ mediocre role players.

They could have signed one if those guys to the same contract that they got and it would have kept some flexibility for the team going forward. Hopefully, for one reason or another, one of the contracts becomes tradeable. Either way, it's all about the young guys now.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
This will be Luke's first big test. How to manage Moz (more so than Deng IMO) and his possible DNP-CDs.

Will the Lakers move Black so that Zub/Moz takes the minutes (and Nance/Randle take small ball minute)? That way Moz could get 10 mpg. But yeah, pretty disappointing that we dropped this much on Moz.

Big contract smooths the DNP-CDs, who knows, maybe it was discussed during contract negotiation that this might happen and that's why the price was high
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Big contract smooths the DNP-CDs, who knows, maybe it was discussed during contract negotiation that this might happen and that's why the price was high

With Deng I'm pretty sure he knew that Ingram would take over one day. Moz? Pretty sure he thought he'd be manning the starting spot for a few years.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

With Deng I'm pretty sure he knew that Ingram would take over one day. Moz? Pretty sure he thought he'd be manning the starting spot for a few years.

Well, he's already reminiscing about Cleveland
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I would hope if the FO thought this may happen, they would not have offered them those stupid contracts.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Probably what went into that brief convo he had with Luke before signing. Moz didn't want a repeat of what happened last year with the Cavs again.

But reality is the NBA is passing the Mozgov types by and his production has fallen off. At least he was able to get paid from his POV. He would be lucky to get the MLE if he was a FA after this season.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

I am not that much disappointed with Mozgov. I was expecting exactly this and I don't have a clue why people are so surprised. Just look at his numbers before. He is doing the same like before. The other thing is that we overpaid that.

Deng on the other hand is just finished athlete and awful player at the moment. I am truly disappointed with him. Deng is disaster for us compering his contract and contribution on the both sides of the floor.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Probably what went into that brief convo he had with Luke before signing. Moz didn't want a repeat of what happened last year with the Cavs again.

But reality is the NBA is passing the Mozgov types by and his production has fallen off. At least he was able to get paid from his POV. He would be lucky to get the MLE if he was a FA after this season.

You know I wasn't happy about it, but it's beating a dead horse. I'm more interested looking forward, what Luke will do with this situation.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:

^ point was Luke probably promised Mozgov he would have a prominent role on this team when they briefly talked before Moz agreed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
^ point was Luke probably promised Mozgov he would have a prominent role on this team when they briefly talked before Moz agreed.

And if so, he has his hands full with this situation. FO will need to work with Luke/Moz too to not make this all fall in Luke's hands.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

And if so, he has his hands full with this situation. FO will need to work with Luke/Moz too to not make this all fall in Luke's hands.

Found it,

http://www.lakersnation.com/timofey-mozgov-conversation-with-luke-walton-was-key-to-signing-with-lakers/2016/07/01/
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Found it,

http://www.lakersnation.com/timofey-mozgov-conversation-with-luke-walton-was-key-to-signing-with-lakers/2016/07/01/

Yikes. That's going to get awkward.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

"“He said I’m going to play a lot,” Mozgov repeated. “He said I’m going to be a big part of the team on the offensive and defensive end.”"

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mozgov-721473-lakers-going.html
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

I think Moz and Deng are not a good fit for our system. However, I don't think they are completely useless if they were playing in a slower more methodical half court offense, hence have some trade value.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
"“He said I’m going to play a lot,” Mozgov repeated. “He said I’m going to be a big part of the team on the offensive and defensive end.”"

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mozgov-721473-lakers-going.html

He has been but we youth tanking now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
I think Moz and Deng are not a good fit for our system. However, I don't think they are completely useless if they were playing in a slower more methodical half court offense, hence have some trade value.

wink wink.....I could explain to the other 29 teams in the league how they would be the perfect fit for them...
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

Love the change
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

Mozgov and Deng are victims of circumstance. I think they're still good players. They just don't fit with the system Luke has in place, which is guard heavy and fast paced. Somebody blew it giving these guys huge contracts, hence, Magic's hiring. We would've been better off bringing Pau back, at least he could really help mentor the guys and would finish his career with the lakers and mend fences - which would help repair the lakers Image.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject:

my impression was we went after Mozgov mostly because of Brian Shaw's recommendation - which Luke, as a brand new coach, may have overvalued Shaw's opinion - at the time, believing Mozgov could become more than he had been before.

I've been surprised how crappy Mozgov's hands are, he's cost a lot of guys a lot of assists with his fumbling and point blank misses. I would have to assume... this has been a surprise for Luke as well, as a major part of Mozgov's offense - as well as Luke selling him on coming here and getting a lot of playing time, would have involved him being a threat to roll towards the basket.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

I'm still fine with the signings....we didn't know how fast the younger guys were going to develop and adding 2 solid vets to the locker room was a good idea.

Sure in hindsight we can now see the younger guys are likely going to move into the starting spots sooner than later, but it was hard to know going in, especially for a player like Zubac.

I also don't see their benching being a big issue. Why not rest these older guys, bring them in against the opposing bench, might as well keep their mileage down this year. In the summer they'll still push BI and Zubac for taking the leading roles. Year 3 and 4 sure we're eating that a bit, but it is what it is.

With that said if you could trade either before those deals expire you do it, but I still don't see it as the worst thing
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

wink wink.....I could explain to the other 29 teams in the league how they would be the perfect fit for them...

Haha idk about 29 other teams but I'm sure there's 2 or 3
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

The saving grace...i.e. the way I'm coping with this, is their replacements (Ingram and Zub) are going to be on rookie (and cheap) deals for basically the same time period as their large contracts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: