Jerry West intrigued about possible return to Lakers this Summer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

Would be awesome if they hired Ryan West as GM and Jerry came home to mentor him and help him in his first couple of years.

I'd be down to see Jerry return to the Lakers any way possible to be honest.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Palin wrote:
Only way West coming back is if he thinks Magic will make some FO moves that gonna effect Ryan West badly.

What if he wants one last project back where it all began, but with his son to share it with? He gives everyone a win too. Jim can step aside for logo, not for jeanie, and spin it as a magnanimous move. Jeanie can stay out of ops, with cover.

Exactly my sentiment and why Jerry would do it.

From the POV of Jimbo, he can be regarded as the "bigger man" who knew it was time to step aside and let others take over while he enjoyed his role as owner. It would be a great look for him.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Palin wrote:
Only way West coming back is if he thinks Magic will make some FO moves that gonna effect Ryan West badly.

What if he wants one last project back where it all began, but with his son to share it with? He gives everyone a win too. Jim can step aside for logo, not for jeanie, and spin it as a magnanimous move. Jeanie can stay out of ops, with cover.

From the POV of Jimbo, he can be regarded as the "bigger man" who knew it was time to step aside and let others take over while he enjoyed his role as owner. It would be a great look for him.

All this talk of Jerry West coming back is getting me excited. Finally the Laker Gods are listening to the fans.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

What is Ryan West's position now and do you think he bolts the Warriors with his Dad to help build things back up here? I already think the Luke hire was perfect, we just need to rebuild confidence back in the front office. I think the last few years in focusing on free agents like Melo and Aldridge while letting the better ones get away and signing terrible contracts like Deng and Mosgov need to be a thing of the past.

If its time for Mitch and Jim to go and bring in Ryan with Magic and Jerry as advisors, sign me the hell up now. It can't get worse....this would be a great thing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that as soon as Phil Jackson was no longer a possibility we've started to hear West's name associated with the Lakers again.

Haven't followed too much, but did Phil and Jeannie break up or just call off the wedding?

West to the lakers would be such a lift for this team. We can dream

supposedly finished....Phil just felt he was too young to commit.

I laughed a little too hard on that

Yeah
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
iimarshon wrote:
Is there a scenario in which Jim stays on board but Jerry + Magic can have a role in addt to Mitch as GM w Ryan West as asst GM?

We don't even know what Magic's role really is, other than an attempt by Jeanie to take out her brother. News of West returning seems a bit like a retaliatory strike.

Jeanie's last attempt to take out her brother failed. If that is what this is and it fails again, she needs to be the one to step down.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned but, I have the same feeling about the Lakers hiring Jerry West that I got before they hired Luke Walton. It makes a ton of sense and it's destined to happen. That might even be part of the reason Jeanie and Phil broke off the engagement. You know what I mean?

It would be great to have Jerry advising on personnel, but if this is more than an attempt by him to get more leverage for another contract in Golden State I will be surprised. Happy, but surprised.

And as for some of the role posters are hoping for West, dude will be 79 years old in a couple of months. He recently was in the hospital after passing out. I believe some are ignoring those facts.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that as soon as Phil Jackson was no longer a possibility we've started to hear West's name associated with the Lakers again.

/movietrailervoice

You all thought the conspiracy theory ended, but this time it's back, with a vengeance, in

Conspiracy Theory 2: Never Underestimate A Person's Resolve
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
West is too old for day-to-day operations. He would have to be a consultant. If all of this went down, My guess is Jim officially stays with the understanding that he is mostly a rubber stamp.

Maybe they give him a better title than "consultant", but basically yeah. I don't see how they make Jim the fall guy and leave Mitch they've since they've been almost totally simpatico on all decisions. It seems grossly unfair to separate the two. Plus one is an owner. When does the owner take the bullet?

The person who probably loses the most by West coming aboard would be Magic. He thought he was getting a substantial role, likely to clean house and start the GM search, and now he's looking at figurehead territory again.

Last edited by greenfrog on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
West is too old for day-to-day operations. He would have to be a consultant. If all of this went down, My guess is Jim officially stays with the understanding that he is mostly a rubber stamp.

Maybe they give him a better title than "consultant", but basically yeah. I don't see how they make Jim the fall guy and leave Mitch they've since they've been almost totally simpatico on all decisions.

The person who probably loses the most in this scenario would be Magic.

I know Magic gets bashed as a pastime here (and I've been guilty of it) but I truly think he doesn't give a F one way or the other. I think he's actually sincere in that he's doing what he's doing with the Lakers right now as a favor to Jeannie and if West coming back helped the Lakers, he'd be all for it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Maybe they give him a better title than "consultant", but basically yeah. I don't see how they make Jim the fall guy and leave Mitch they've since they've been almost totally simpatico on all decisions.

The person who probably loses the most in this scenario would be Magic.

I know Magic gets bashed as a pastime here (and I've been guilty of it) but I truly think he doesn't give a F one way or the other. I think he's actually sincere in that he's doing what he's doing with the Lakers right now as a favor to Jeannie and if West coming back helped the Lakers, he'd be all for it.

I disagree. He a competitive guy with a huge ego. All the bile directed at Jim was ego.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
scoobs wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned but, I have the same feeling about the Lakers hiring Jerry West that I got before they hired Luke Walton. It makes a ton of sense and it's destined to happen. That might even be part of the reason Jeanie and Phil broke off the engagement. You know what I mean?

It would be great to have Jerry advising on personnel, but if this is more than an attempt by him to get more leverage for another contract in Golden State I will be surprised. Happy, but surprised.

And as for some of the role posters are hoping for West, dude will be 79 years old in a couple of months. He recently was in the hospital after passing out. I believe some are ignoring those facts.

you are ignoring facts.....still better than jim
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tlim wrote:
Time to come home, Jerry. By the time you're back, you won't have to deal with Buss Jr.

The Buss Jrs own the Lakers, he will have to deal with them. And isn't West a part owner of the Warriors? That could certainly get sticky. But we see too many articles like these where West said that he is working on extending with the Warriors and nothing about coming to the Lakers. The title has little to do with the content.

I thought he's a consultant?
Regardless, he's set them up for the next 10 years. Nothing left to do over there but watch it play out.

If his interest lies in the process of building and shaping culture, rosters, and franchises, then LA would be an amazing story to end his career.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20170107/heisler-lakers-should-focus-on-jim-buss-out-jerry-west-in

Sorry, but I'm of the opinion that Jim is still a kid in the candy store and really should surround himself with a lot better overall talent or walk away.

For Jerry to listen to Jim would be a stretch and his voice is nearly useless. Jim should really just step down and let the guys who've done it for a long time, and really, the LOGO do his thing. He literally walks on water with the players as well as other GMs and other organizations. With him and Mitch together again without a fly buzzing around to distract them, they would really know how to get to the playoffs and the next level again.

Give West a part of the team and I'm sure he'd come back again.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
What is Ryan West's position now and do you think he bolts the Warriors with his Dad to help build things back up here? I already think the Luke hire was perfect, we just need to rebuild confidence back in the front office. I think the last few years in focusing on free agents like Melo and Aldridge while letting the better ones get away and signing terrible contracts like Deng and Mosgov need to be a thing of the past.

If its time for Mitch and Jim to go and bring in Ryan with Magic and Jerry as advisors, sign me the hell up now. It can't get worse....this would be a great thing.

Probably still the same as described below.

Lakers Announce Front Office Promotions (September 2015)

Quote:

Los Angeles Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak announced today that Jesse Buss has been promoted to assistant general manager/director of scouting, Ryan West to director of player personnel, and Clay Moser to assistant coach/director of basketball strategy.

Buss most recently served as the Lakers’ director of scouting for the past three seasons, overseeing all scouting operations in preparation for the NBA Draft, in addition to his own scouting responsibilities. In his new role, Buss will continue to contribute to personnel decisions under Kupchak, Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations Jim Buss, and Assistant General Manager Glenn Carraro, and will also continue to assist the Lakers’ NBA D-League team, the D-Fenders, with their draft and scouting. Originally joining the organization in 2006, Jesse spent two seasons as a basketball operations assistant before serving as a scout from 2008-11, and as scouting coordinator for the 2011-12 season.

West begins his new role after serving as assistant director of scouting for the past three seasons, where he was an integral part of the player evaluation process and had input in all drafting and scouting decisions. In addition to expanding his existing roles in the organization, West will maintain his extensive in-person scouting schedule. West originally joined the Lakers as a scout in the summer of 2009, and prior to joining the Lakers, spent eight seasons as a scout with the Memphis Grizzlies.

kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
scoobs wrote:

So, West is too old/unwell to come here and help us but he's not too old/unwell for the Warriors to give him another contract?

Also, I heard West fell....not that he just passed out.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

RE Heisler's take: they all worked together before. Why would it be an issue now?

I'd love to know who behind the Lakers has initiated this. If it bothers Jim that much maybe it is Jeanie.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

I would love to have Jerry West back.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

I wish the lakers can get rid of that soon soon guy and offer jerry west the part ownership
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Palin wrote:

Jim could still be the guy signing off on any deals the FO might make. Someone will need to do that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
scoobs wrote:

you are ignoring facts.....still better than jim

Yeah, never thought you would figure out what was posted.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Palin wrote:

Jim could still be the guy signing off on any deals the FO might make. Someone will need to do that.

jim stated he would resign if he didnt make a marker. have some integrity and stand by your words. No trust in him or the organization if they do not stand by the words. If jerry was here....he would make him stand by them. I dont care if a person off the streets runs the lakers....its has to be better than whats there. Mitch using up all our cap space....come on. Jim gave the ok for that. Jim must be part of the owner group and final say with jeanie.....hire the personnel.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
2019 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tlim wrote:
Time to come home, Jerry. By the time you're back, you won't have to deal with Buss Jr.

The Buss Jrs own the Lakers, he will have to deal with them. And isn't West a part owner of the Warriors? That could certainly get sticky. But we see too many articles like these where West said that he is working on extending with the Warriors and nothing about coming to the Lakers. The title has little to do with the content.

I thought he's a consultant?
Regardless, he's set them up for the next 10 years. Nothing left to do over there but watch it play out.

If his interest lies in the process of building and shaping culture, rosters, and franchises, then LA would be an amazing story to end his career.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20170107/heisler-lakers-should-focus-on-jim-buss-out-jerry-west-in

Sorry, but I'm of the opinion that Jim is still a kid in the candy store and really should surround himself with a lot better overall talent or walk away.

For Jerry to listen to Jim would be a stretch and his voice is nearly useless. Jim should really just step down and let the guys who've done it for a long time, and really, the LOGO do his thing. He literally walks on water with the players as well as other GMs and other organizations. With him and Mitch together again without a fly buzzing around to distract them, they would really know how to get to the playoffs and the next level again.

Give West a part of the team and I'm sure he'd come back again.

That isn't how consultants work, it would be Jim listening to Jerry.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
I wish the lakers can get rid of that soon soon guy and offer jerry west the part ownership

His ownership share is probably worth $100 million to $150 million by now. No one's going to be giving Jerry that kind of money for a Consulting gig
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
scoobs wrote:

So, West is too old/unwell to come here and help us but he's not too old/unwell for the Warriors to give him another contract?

Also, I heard West fell....not that he just passed out.

Some are thinking that West would come here and replace Mitch and run the Laker FO. He is too old for that and I doubt he has any interest.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

If Jerry came back wouldn't it make more sense that Mitch would stay to bridge between himself and eventually Ryan West becoming GM?

Especially because Mitch and Jerry are friends ya?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: