Mozgov, Deng, and the missing amnesty clause
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Mozgov, Deng, and the missing amnesty clause

Right now, the Mozgov and Deng signings look pretty bad. But I wonder if the Lakers were expecting an amnesty clause to be in the new CBA. After all, there has been one in the last two CBA's.

If the front office was expecting another amnesty clause, all of a sudden these two signings don't look so crazy. There was always a chance that at least one of the two would work out well, which would have meant that the other player could have been amnestied. And, if somehow, both worked out poorly, the Lakers could have still amnestied one of the two, leaving them on the hook for only $16 to $18 million per year, rather than twice that.

Could the Lakers' front office have been taken by surprise?
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mozgov, Deng, and the missing amnesty clause

markjay wrote:
Right now, the Mozgov and Deng signings look pretty bad. But I wonder if the Lakers were expecting an amnesty clause to be in the new CBA. After all, there has been one in the last two CBA's.

If the front office was expecting another amnesty clause, all of a sudden these two signings don't look so crazy. There was always a chance that at least one of the two would work out well, which would have meant that the other player could have been amnestied. And, if somehow, both worked out poorly, the Lakers could have still amnestied one of the two, leaving them on the hook for only $16 to $18 million per year, rather than twice that.

Could the Lakers' front office have been taken by surprise?

Eric Pincus said the Lakers thought there was to be an amnesty provision in the new CBA.

Either way, we can still stretch and waive a player; although their salary (reduced) would still count against our cap, it's one method to free up a roster spot and give us more flexibility financially should the need come about...
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

If that is the case, that would be awful FO planning and execution. If it were a difference making signing, then take that risk. Not for mediocre guys at insane pricing.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Mozgov/Deng threads are taking over LG lol
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=180888&start=50

Check out the link; Yinoma asked the question and Pincus answered on the first page.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

Most people (outside of a few stragglers) now recognize what crap contracts those were. I remember many weeks back when anyone who dared talk badly about these often got shouted down about it.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Lakers will have to suck up those two contracts, I don't see an easy, as in painless, out.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Most people (outside of a few stragglers) now recognize what crap contracts those were. I remember many weeks back when anyone who dared talk badly about these often got shouted down about it.

I was one of those getting shouted down since July. So many bs reasons was used to justify the horrible deals.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I was one of those getting shouted down since July. So many bs reasons was used to justify the horrible deals.

Well this is the Lakers MO for years overpay players.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject:

I still believe that the Lakers needing an amnesty clause was one of the biggest reasons other owners/players chose to not include an amnesty clause
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
I still believe that the Lakers needing an amnesty clause was one of the biggest reasons other owners/players chose to not include an amnesty clause

Thus why another reason the rest of the league has it out for us.
zoom K083
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/6/30/12052290/nba-free-agent-signings-tracker-2016-rumors

there really was not alot the lakers could have done. none of the top tier agents wanted to speak with us. also everyone was severely overpaid, so the notion that the players and owners did not want the amnesty to spite the lakers is off. looking at that list every team should want the amnesty clause.

With that being said, the moz and deng contracts are still awful and real poor planning by the lakers. should have never assumed a clause would be put in place.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject:

zoom K083 wrote:
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/6/30/12052290/nba-free-agent-signings-tracker-2016-rumors

there really was not alot the lakers could have done. none of the top tier agents wanted to speak with us. also everyone was severely overpaid, so the notion that the players and owners did not want the amnesty to spite the lakers is off. looking at that list every team should want the amnesty clause.

With that being said, the moz and deng contracts are still awful and real poor planning by the lakers. should have never assumed a clause would be put in place.

Well you know the Lakers don't think them they just do it.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:

Nah. Larry Coon explained it pretty well, iirc, on 710am: basically, amnesty was included in previous CBAs because there was a radical change in how tax was implemented and calculated, which would unfairly punish teams who signed players to contracts under the old terms. Since there were basically no changes in how tax will be calculated and assessed in the new CBA, there was no reason to include an amnesty.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject:

Two of the three or 4 worse contracts by FAR this past offseason. We are stuck with them.. To think, there are still some on this board who have no problems with their contracts. Someone pointed out on another thread that Mitch gave the go ahead on the contracts. I always was a big supporter of Mitch, but if this is true, I think he lost his mind.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I just think the sheer volume of the complaining was being shouted down. I can't think of any enthusiastic Lakers fans who were pro Moz/Deng signings (at their contract length/size).
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I just think the sheer volume of the complaining was being shouted down. I can't think of any enthusiastic Lakers fans who were pro Moz/Deng signings (at their contract length/size).

Honestly, it felt like I was being fed bs daily by others to defend those signings, that's why I had a hard time letting it go.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Honestly, it felt like I was being fed bs daily by others to defend those signings, that's why I had a hard time letting it go.

Really? I can't recall many people being excited about it.

I think most of us understood the reasoning behind needing vets, but not THESE vets at THAT price.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

My thing was, it was never ANY reason at all to give Mozgov/Deng 136M at ages 30/31.

Veteran leadership, roster continuity, we had to over pay to get anyone to come here, having flexibility in the past haven't got us much etc etc was all used to defend those signings until we all saw how average/below average Deng/Mozgov was on the court.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
My thing was, it was never ANY reason at all to give Mozgov/Deng 136M at ages 30/31.

Veteran leadership, roster continuity, we had to over pay to get anyone to come here, having flexibility in the past haven't got us much etc etc was all used to defend those signings until we all saw how average/below average Deng/Mozgov was on the court.

It is what it is. You read my reactions about Moz when I found out the next day. But I accepted the premise but not the execution of the premise.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

teams knew the details of what was being discussed before FA last year, the idea that our Front Office signed guys hoping and wishing on something is just ridiculous
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:

There was really no need for an amnesty this time. The cap is increasing and most of the conditions were already in place when the original contracts were signed. Last time, a bunch of taxes were added so teams wanted to cut out a contract they wouldn't have signed if they knew that.

If the Lakers wanted an out, they could have added team options to these contracts. Amnesty is a very expensive way of cutting someone on the first year of a four year deal and I can't believe they would have been banking on that.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

The length of each contract was what bothered me the most. I get that premier free agents wouldn't come here this past summer, maybe not even this summer unless our young core shows a lot of growth.

But, what I have a had time understanding is the reason for giving Mozgov a 4 year deal. Would any other team have offered him the same annual salary for 4 years? I don't think so, which makes it all the more puzzling why we did.

If both of these were 2 year deals rather than 4, then fine, but I never saw how this would work out as anything except disaster with 4 year deals.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject:

I'm not embarrassed to say I took a wait and see approach to Moz/Deng signings and was frustrated by the immediate hate these moves received. We were all blindsided by the Mozgov signing. I was more optimistic about the Deng signing. He had a solid season last year. Didn't think he'd drop off like this.

But anyway, I don't think the amnesty clause played a role. The teams still have to pay the player, even if they don't count against the cap. They wouldn't just gamble with that much money. I think they really targeted them as players of need.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

ugh even if there was an amnesty clause it still made no sense to sign these two to the contracts they got.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: