LaMelo scores 92
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: LaMelo scores 92

High school sophomore LaMelo Ball scored 92 points today. Remember, the game only has 32 minutes. Included 41 in last quarter.

Wow!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

Was this against a junior high school team visiting from the Antarctic?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

And yet no one praises his PG for playing defense.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

I watched some of the highlights ... they must play bizarre defensive schemes in HS now, because that was ridiculous. It didn't seem like the other team was even trying to stop him at times. At one point, basket after basket after basket was scored in the following fashion: LaMelo literally stands in front of his own basket while his team plays 4 - on - 5 defense on the other end, and when the opposing team scored or missed a shot, a CH teammate would launch a touchdown pass down the court for an uncontested or barely contest layup for LaMelo. He definitely hit some difficult threes and more athletic drives to the basket, too, but FFS ... I didn't walk away from that video thinking I had just seen the next great NBA player (or possibly even an NBA player, at all) ...
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
I watched some of the highlights ... they must play bizarre defensive schemes in HS now, because that was ridiculous. It didn't seem like the other team was even trying to stop him at times. At one point, basket after basket after basket was scored in the following fashion: LaMelo literally stands in front of his own basket while his team plays 4 - on - 5 defense on the other end, and when the opposing team scored or missed a shot, a CH teammate would launch a touchdown pass down the court for an uncontested or barely contest layup for LaMelo. He definitely hit some difficult threes and more athletic drives to the basket, too, but FFS ... I didn't walk away from that video thinking I had just seen the next great NBA player (or possibly even an NBA player, at all) ...

Just wait till he gets full grown and he'll look like one. The style they play is a little bit ridiculous but it works in HS with elite talent, so they use it. Don't let that fool you, the kid is the real deal. He scored 92 as a 6'2 15 year old sophomore, imagine him when he's 18 and 6'7.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

Ignore the numbers. I've caught roughly 5 games. He attacks defenses, finds the open man, has shown Curry range with comfort (elbows way out of course), has a running floater, decent touch/body control around the rim.

For a kid that's not some crazy 6'4" athletic freak, what more could be asked of a guard?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

So he went full Vivek
https://twitter.com/nballaccess/status/829354289629949952
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
And yet no one praises his PG for playing defense.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

There are some really bad high school basketball teams out there....but the talent is definitely there. Whether he has the right stuff for the pros who knows.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

He's just showcasing himself hoping LaLebron will get LaLove traded for him. Not sure how LaLala feels about all these trade talks.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
He's just showcasing himself hoping LaLebron will get LaLove traded for him. Not sure how LaLala feels about all these trade talks.

Lalol
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

The Ball brothers definitely bailing about Daddyball.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:

THIS.

He has good skills on display and i like his handles but his 92 points was a farce.

Full 10 min video of all his baskets, by the 2 minute mark all he does is stand behind half court and waits for his teammates to pass him the ball for a breakaway layup.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject:

But the all-time goat Dajuan Wagner scored 100 points in high school
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
the association wrote:

THIS.

He has good skills on display and i like his handles but his 92 points was a farce.

Full 10 min video of all his baskets, by the 2 minute mark all he does is stand behind half court and waits for his teammates to pass him the ball for a breakaway layup.

That game and how he scored his points was a disgrace to basketball and was extremely disrespectful of the other team. But that doesn't change the fact that he's a 15 year old and an absolute stud in the making.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Disrespect to the other team for letting it get to that point. Where's the safety. Why not have 2 people double him/shadow him the entire game full court. Where's the timeouts to adjust? I would double him entire game and let the Draymond Green looking dude beat them. Liangelo wasn't even playing.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
Disrespect to the other team for letting it get to that point. Where's the safety. Why not have 2 people double him/shadow him the entire game full court. Where's the timeouts to adjust? I would double him entire game and let the Draymond Green looking dude beat them. Liangelo wasn't even playing.

Without more specific knowledge, the opponent's apparent absence of any defensive adjustment OR meaningful attempt to contain the scoring opportunities falls squarely on the opponent's coach, in my book. How the (bleep) are you going to allow the opponent to leave their best player unguarded under his own basket for 1/2 the game? This toreador display made the Toronto Raptors defense in the 81 point game look like the Detroit Pistons, circa May 2004.

And I'm sure I'll come off as a grumpy old bastard for saying so, but seriously ... (bleep) this culture of ours, because I'm also suspicious that the prospect of being part of the spectacle of this (bleep) may have appealed to some of these kids pretending they were playing defense. (bleep) ridiculous ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

They got a participation trophy so its all good.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Dude just stood on one side of the court the whole time?
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

His brother liangelo scored 72 pt. In a game legitimately. The brothers must have skill because liangelo looks fat and out of shape.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Theres a backstory to this that makes us arguing about whether its legit or not seem rather trivial.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
Dude just stood on one side of the court the whole time?

I heard it was only half the time
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Theres a backstory to this that makes us arguing about whether its legit or not seem rather trivial.

More like backcourt story ...
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Yeah, these scoring outbursts aren't indicative of anything. If you think about it, for that amount of points to happen, most likely the game had to be some form of joke. I just looked up the Wagner game on youtube, and Wagner's coach is lucky the kid didn't get injured. The score was like 10,000 to 50, and he's out there just stat padding.

At the NBA level, Wilt's 100 was also a joke. Kobe's 81 was truly amazing because the Lakers were down big. Only in the last few minutes did the Lakers started to help Kobe pad his stats. The game was over and he kept getting fouled and got free throws.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Yeah, these scoring outbursts aren't indicative of anything. If you think about it, for that amount of points to happen, most likely the game had to be some form of joke. I just looked up the Wagner game on youtube, and Wagner's coach is lucky the kid didn't get injured. The score was like 10,000 to 50, and he's out there just stat padding.

At the NBA level, Wilt's 100 was also a joke. Kobe's 81 was truly amazing because the Lakers were down big. Only in the last few minutes did the Lakers started to help Kobe pad his stats. The game was over and he kept getting fouled and got free throws.

Agreed on the first point, as well as the point re: Wilt's big 100. These outlier games always seem to appear orchestrated to some extent (by both teams, no less!) ...

I also have to recognize your effort to address the facts of the 81 point game. If I had a dime every time someone erroneously emphasized that all of Kobe's points in the 81 point game were needed to secure the win (despite the fact that 22 of the points came in the final 6 1/2 minutes of the 4Q when the Lakers lead was in double digit territory almost the entire time, averaging almost 15 points across those final minutes), I'd have a mountain of dimes ... Kobe actually had five FG in that last 1/2 of the 4Q (for 12 of those 22 points) ... it was a legendary game, so if I was on the coaching staff, I wouldn't have removed him from the game (or muzzled his shot) either.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/pbp/200601220LAL.html#q4

LaMelo's performance the other night, on the other hand, has absolutely no business being thrown around with Kobe's or any of the all time great high scoring performances. That was a (bleep) abomination (for everyone on the court) ...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: