Magic Johnson Interview; Speaks on our young talent, his plans for the future and role
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Magic Johnson Interview; Speaks on our young talent, his plans for the future and role

What he wants to do:

Magic Johnson: What I want to do, is try to just, little by little, build the Lakers back up, to where they should be. We have a great group of young players. I think that we're missing a leader though. We have to have D'Angelo step up to the leader role. He had a wonderful game the other night, and I think that if he can step up into the leadership role and really lead the guys. Because we've lost a lot of games in the 4th quarter, when somebody should have stepped up and said 'hey bad shot' or 'hey slow it down, let's do this or do that', and I think he's the guy who has the ball in his hand and he could become an even better leader than he is today.

On messages to the young players:

What we didn't have back in the day was social media. Social media has changed everything. Guys do care, sometimes even more so, about their brand, and they don't realize that, performing on the court gets you everything that you want. But what has to happen is this, you have to figure out 'How can we win?' and a lot of times, (James) could have been averaging 25-30 points on another team. But said "I'm good with what I can average, because it's all about winning.". I could have did the same thing, Kareem could have did the same thing. But we all bought into Coach Riley's system and that if the team won, we all won. And that's what we have to get these young Lakers to understand is that, if the team wins, individually you win, you get everything that you want. When we win, you get the new contract. When we win, you get the endorsements. When we win, everything that you're looking for you get. But first it has to start with, you've got to put the time in, you've got to love the game and put the time in.

But if you have other guys around, (LeBron), did this probably better than anybody. He really sat down with some of the older guys, and picked their brain because not only did he want to be great in basketball, he wanted to be great as a business man outside of that. But he sat down with people. So don't look at it as a bad thing if Kareem is around or if (James) is around or if I'm here. Pick my brain. I picked Jerry West's brain. Chick Hearn, every time we had breakfast I'd run over and sit with him. "Tell me about Wilt Chamberlain." "Tell me about when they won 33 games in a row.". Those type of things helped me as a player, to develop.

So I think that if all of them understand that "We all have to give some of our game to get what we want." "We all could be, yes, a star. Or average a lot of points, but the team would be losing." so if we all say "Hey, I'm gonna give my game, for the sake of winning, and then I'm going to get what I want on the back end of that. Whether it's a new contract or a commercial, or anything that we are seeking."

On relationship with the FO and thoughts on our young talent:

Jim is calling the shots, and I want him to understand that I'm just here to lend advice. I explained that to Mitch Kupchak today. We're gonna have a 2-3 hour meeting and the strategy of where they think they're headed and we'll break down everybody on the team's strengths and weaknesses. And really just talk basketball. It's okay to have a lot of basketball knowledge. That's one thing Dr. Buss had around him was a lot of basketball expertise and knowledge. I'm not here to be anything but to give some basketball knowledge.

I watch college games all time, I watch the NBA all the time, I watch (Spectrum SportsNet) all the time. Because I know, if Randle gets his right hand, James (looks to James Worthy) Woooooo!! He don't even know. If he gets that right hand.. man, he could be an all-star. If he gets on that right side, and he knows how to drop step. It could be money.

And, I could tell you Lou, I could tell you Clarkson, I know every Laker, frontwards and backwards. But I'm just looking forward to talk basketball and how I can help you, be it that you're making a decision and I'm just offering advice, whether that's going on the floor, or just giving you notes. About what I see, game to game on every player. Because, again, I've watched every Laker game, so I know every guy, and it's great that we're seeing young guys develop.

On his critical opinion of the Lakers in the past:

Some of the coaches that we brought in didn't fit the talent. We see, Mike D'antoni is doing a wonderful job in Houston because he had the talent that fits his offense. We didn't have a run up and down team or a spot up three team. So that's what I was critical of. I thought Mike Brown was an excellent coach, and he liked the slow down game. He was excellent on defense, though. So I thought that, we could have went in another direction with the talent that we had.
On their current situation:

Coach Walton was the perfect choice, for the talent that we have, his system he brought in. He's getting the most out of everybody. Now if this Lakers team could tighten up on defense, whether it's their defensive intensity, because it's the defense, now we can score with anybody, we can score the basketball. What we need to do now is tighten up our defense, and if we could do that, man this team could really do some special things. So I'm just looking forward to really watching tonight's game and all the other games after this. Giving notes, like I told Mitch we'll trade information. I'll sit down with Jim and see what role I could play with him if he needs me or needs information. Jeanie and I already talked about the role I'll play with her.

I've already sat down with Jesse and Joey, the role with the D-Fenders, and talking basketball with them. They're very bright young men and smart. I'm just looking forward to really sitting down with everybody and talking how we can improve not just basketball, but, this brand is incredible but we want to take it to another level with the brand. The Lakers business, we want to take it to another level, so it's all those things we want to do.

On what makes him feel Luke will be a great head coach in this league:

I love that Zubac. Here's a young man who had a special game probably, 3 weeks ago, now he's not afraid to give him 20 minutes or 25 minutes and now we're seeing him develop in front of our eyes and Luke is saying 'ok. well if you're rolling I'll keep you out there.' and I like that about him. He's saying 'whatever team is performing well, we're gonna stick with that five, but also too if you're making a bad mistake or taking a bad shot, here. sit next to me.'

So you're seeing Luke really developing the players, and I'll tell you who else he really did a good job with; Brandon Ingram. Nobody else in this league would have put the ball in his hands like he's put the ball in his hands. He has put the ball in his hands, and it seems like because of that, we're seeing him every game he gets more confidence, every game he makes play that you say 'wow' like against Denver, at the free throw line, fake, went to his right, BAM!

I said 'oh oh!!' I got excited. We know he can defend, he's long, and what I like about him is that he's a gym rat, he wants to get better. So that's the kind of guys we want to have on the Lakers, guys who want to improve, who stay in the gym. Their number one priority is basketball and I have loved watching Brandon just continue to grow.

We have some nice young pieces. I've always felt the thing about him is that he could be a two-way guy that (has the potential) that he could be a shut down guy on defense.

More Here:

Enjoy, lot's of great stuff
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject:

A real laker
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject:

So much love for Magic Johnson. For him to care this much about the Lakers after so many years is simply amazing. Great idea bringing him on board. The young players will love spending time with him.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson Interview; Speaks on our young talent, his plans for the future and role

MJST wrote:

But if you have other guys around, (LeBron), did this probably better than anybody. He really sat down with some of the older guys, and picked their brain because not only did he want to be great in basketball, he wanted to be great as a business man outside of that. But he sat down with people. So don't look at it as a bad thing if Kareem is around or if (James) is around or if I'm here. Pick my brain. I picked Jerry West's brain. Chick Hearn, every time we had breakfast I'd run over and sit with him. "Tell me about Wilt Chamberlain." "Tell me about when they won 33 games in a row.". Those type of things helped me as a player, to develop.

I remember Kobe saying D'Angelo did it a lot: picking his brain whenever possible during last season.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject:

Magic got me fired up in that interview, if he is the public voice for the Lakers in the media now and really lends his knowledge in all areas to the Lakers from business to what he sees strategy wise, to mentoring players and even his opinion on players we may draft, sign or trade for I think this will be excellent for teh Lakers

If he is Jeanie's stealth hire to replace Jim and put him in charge of all Basketball decisions it is a terrible hire
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

Yeah that interview did put me at ease a bit, Magic does seem to have a good idea or knowledge that he could use to help or lend advice to. If it's helping towards our young players development it's great to hear and watch, his analysis on how far Julius could go just by perfecting his right hand and his drop step and him speaking of how Russell could be the leader and stuff like that I really liked to hear.

I think we can all agree, if he was Jeanie's stealth hire to get rid of Jim, then I would be worried. But if he is there in the capacity he says he will be, then I think that's a great hire, because I could honestly listen to Magic talk basketball in a basketball sense all day and those little nuggets of knowledge he does have or could share, could help our young guys more than hurt.

pmacla wrote:
Magic got me fired up in that interview, if he is the public voice for the Lakers in the media now and really lends his knowledge in all areas to the Lakers from business to what he sees strategy wise, to mentoring players and even his opinion on players we may draft, sign or trade for I think this will be excellent for the Lakers

This, for sure. Apparently he and Luke did indeed discuss strategy before the Lakers game against the Knicks. Don't know what they talked about but I'd assume it helped.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Yeah that interview did put me at ease a bit, Magic does seem to have a good idea or knowledge that he could use to help or lend advice to. If it's helping towards our young players development it's great to hear and watch, his analysis on how far Julius could go just by perfecting his right hand and his drop step and him speaking of how Russell could be the leader and stuff like that I really liked to hear.

I think we can all agree, if he was Jeanie's stealth hire to get rid of Jim, then I would be worried. But if he is there in the capacity he says he will be, then I think that's a great hire, because I could honestly listen to Magic talk basketball in a basketball sense all day and those little nuggets of knowledge he does have or could share, could help our young guys more than hurt.

pmacla wrote:
Magic got me fired up in that interview, if he is the public voice for the Lakers in the media now and really lends his knowledge in all areas to the Lakers from business to what he sees strategy wise, to mentoring players and even his opinion on players we may draft, sign or trade for I think this will be excellent for the Lakers

This, for sure. Apparently he and Luke did indeed discuss strategy before the Lakers game against the Knicks. Don't know what they talked about but I'd assume it helped.

From previous interviews with Jeannie, I got the feeling that she was frustrated with Jim's lack of communication (especially how they spurned Phil). There was a wide gap between the business side and basketball side. I think Magic can be the guy who bridges that divide. Now Jeannie will have eyes and ears on the basketball branch of the organization through her link with Magic. His role will be fluid between Jeannie and the FO.

As far as what Magic said in this interview, it seems like he has his finger on the pulse of this team. Some of us have compared Ingram to Kawhi for his potential as a 2-way player. Magic wants to see him become a shutdown defender. I like. DLo needs to step up as a team leader. Randle needs to get that right hand going. Zubac blossoming. Giving away 4th quarter leads. He's supportive of Luke and I agree with his opinions of MDA and Brown.

This is why I never took Magic's tweets to heart. He was just reacting as a fan. THIS Magic seems much more measured in his responses now that he has an active role with the franchise. This guy bleeds purple and gold.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
MJST wrote:

pmacla wrote:

From previous interviews with Jeannie, I got the feeling that she was frustrated with Jim's lack of communication (especially how they spurned Phil). There was a wide gap between the business side and basketball side. I think Magic can be the guy who bridges that divide. Now Jeannie will have eyes and ears on the basketball branch of the organization through her link with Magic. His role will be fluid between Jeannie and the FO.

This is definitely the case. Read the new Ramona article that came out today, some unflattering notes on Mitch and Jim (especially Mitch): http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18641743/los-angeles-lakers-owners-front-office-grappling-next-steps-franchise
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:

Great interview.

Lakers are where there at due to these legends.

It is good to hear what other people on this board realized when the Lakers hired MDA. It was simply a bad hire.

The reality is that hire led to many problems and we are now slowly building ourselves up.

If we get West back in any capacity, that would be awesome.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:

Yes, this interview at least thus far made me worry less.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject:

This helps too

Shortly after Magic was hired he received a call from Jim Buss

Shortly after Magic Johnson was hired by the Los Angeles Lakers last week, he received a call from Jim Buss.

Johnson had long been publicly critical of Buss' moves within the Lakers' front office and stood by those comments, but also said he was there to help and hoped they could move forward without that baggage. Johnson's tone disarmed Buss.

Buss agreed and asked to schedule a meeting after the All-Star break where he and general manager Mitch Kupchak could explain their decision-making over the past few seasons.

"I'm taking Magic at face value, that he's here to help," Jim Buss told ESPN. "He's one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Who wouldn't value his opinion? I'm excited to work with Magic for years to come."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244830/Jim-Buss-Excited-To-Work-With-Magic-Johnson-For-Years-To-Come

This really makes me feel like Magic does mean what he says, but it also says that Jim extended the olive branch and is willing to work with him.

If these two can work together and be on the same power or just take advice from one another, then this most definitely can work.

Someone spoke of Magic could be the branch of communication between Jeanie and Jim / Mitch that could resolve some of the gap that there is in communication. Which Jeanie also placed there when she declared she just handles business and leaves Mitch and Jim to their own devices.

This seems like it could keep that status quo but create more of a communication than there had been. Magic spoke of getting everyone into a room and discussing the team, and the players. This kind of meeting helps to define the vision and direction of where the franchise is headed and those lines of communications can help, not just between Jeanie and Jim but the franchise as a whole, and Magic may be the medium that creates that bridge of communication.

I can get behind that for sure.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

Great stuff. This could really, really work out if everyone checks ego at the door lol
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
MJST wrote:

pmacla wrote:

This is definitely the case. Read the new Ramona article that came out today, some unflattering notes on Mitch and Jim (especially Mitch): http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18641743/los-angeles-lakers-owners-front-office-grappling-next-steps-franchise

I read that in the other thread right after posting that .

It makes perfect sense if you're Jeannie. The buck stops with her, and she can't allow Jim/Mitch to run a fractured operation. No organization can succeed like that. Just look at the Spurs culture. From the top down, anyone can sit in on their meetings. Anyone can roll up suggestions. Basketball...Business. It's all fluid. I know Dr. Buss structured it that way, but I doubt he intended for it to be so segregated.

Jim/Mitch prefer to be on an island. It must feel like walking on egg shells around upper management. With Magic there, Jeannie won't be left in the dark about the basketball side and she knows he's loyal to her and has the Lakers' best interests at heart.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

Jim needs help. A lot of help. Hopefully Magic can help him out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

I love the idea of Magic helping out. But with the news of interest in Jerry West (who I would also welcome), is Jeanie looking in the right direction? What next, fire Luke and hire Riley to coach? Sign Kareem to play center? This is 2017 Jeanie, not 1980. Show a little vision.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I love the idea of Magic helping out. But with the news of interest in Jerry West (who I would also welcome), is Jeanie looking in the right direction? What next, fire Luke and hire Riley to coach? Sign Kareem to play center? This is 2017 Jeanie, not 1980. Show a little vision.

Jerry back in the organization is great, not sure why you have to troll on Jeannie if she brings him back.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

venturalakersfan wrote:

I don't think they would make Magic/the Logo run the Lakers day-to-day.

I could see Mitch as the transition GM, with the next GM being either Ryan West (younger blood) or the Godfather-offered GM (some hot shot GM from outside the organization).
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

that espn article was strange

Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

The whole spiel about social media seems kind of pointless considering most of the Lakers young core don't use social media all that heavily, especially compared to other players in the league.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

Same interview from a few days?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Jerry back in the organization is great, not sure why you have to troll on Jeannie if she brings him back.

Reading is a lost art.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
bandiger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Reading is a lost art.

It truly is
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

Except for the drafts the FO decisions for the past 5 years have been bad.

And the Mosgov and Deng signings at 40M a year for four years. For two bench players? Is this competence?

Is the 4 FR draft picks for Nash and Howard who hardly played for the Lakers a show of competence? Nash had already played many years and Howard did not like the Lakers. Why gamble the future?

What was Mich and Jim thinking?

Even at an advisory capacity Magic if taken seriously would have helped.
Deng and Mosgov should have been given shorter terms. And maybe even 50M year but just for a year. To scratch the itch in Mich and Jims.

Maybe the younger West at GM would work. But J. West is older now.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

Sounds like Magic would be nothing but a help in recruiting FAs. He sounds like he understands players
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Except for the drafts the FO decisions for the past 5 years have been bad.

And the Mosgov and Deng signings at 40M a year for four years. For two bench players? Is this competence?

Is the 4 FR draft picks for Nash and Howard who hardly played for the Lakers a show of competence? Nash had already played many years and Howard did not like the Lakers. Why gamble the future?

What was Mich and Jim thinking?

Even at an advisory capacity Magic if taken seriously would have helped.
Deng and Mosgov should have been given shorter terms. And maybe even 50M year but just for a year. To scratch the itch in Mich and Jims.

Maybe the younger West at GM would work. But J. West is older now.

1. They swung for the homerun in free agency and struck out 3 years in a row. I think even as a fanbase, we were all guilty of being a bit delusional in thinking a star would sign here. Reality has sunk in. We aren't an attractive situation for free agents. But at the time, we all still thought there was a chance. And eventually we all started begging for the FO to stop wasting time on the stars, and start looking at the 2nd and 3rd tier free agents to get out of the rut. Most fans will try to deny it now, but that's the nature of revisionist history.

2. I don't know anyone who was opposed to the Dwight trade at the time. We all knew Bynum was falling apart and Dwight was still the best center in the league. A few here and there will say they never wanted him. Doesn't matter. The overwhelming majority of us were anticipating the Bynum-Dwight trade for years.

3. Nash - we had an expiring TPE that we acquired as a result of being forced to trade Odom due to the trade veto. We needed a PG badly. We were over the cap and still hoping to make one more run at a championship. It made all the sense in the world at the time. But again, fans have revisionist history.

4. Why do people here keep thinking Jerry would take over as full time GM? He's said countless times over the years he'd never do anything that would encroach on Mitch as the GM. Logo is a crown jewel in the Laker kingdom. Even if he's back as a part time advisor he'd be the most valuable FO asset we'd have. I'd personally roll out the red carpet and drop rose petals on the ground he walks on.

5. Enough has been said about Mozgov/Deng. For me, the whining has become more annoying then watching them play, and that's saying a lot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: