2017-18 NFL Thread - Eagles Defeat the Evil Empire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

The Jags would scare me if they had a QB that mattered.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
rwongega wrote:
DeShaun Watson tears ACL in practice. Huge injury for a running QB.

Jeremy Lane fails his physical so Seattle has to send a 3rd round pick to the Texans in the Brown trade.

The Astros sacrificed their integrity for a World Series title.

Fixed.

I will never understand why they would start Darvish in a Game 7 vs the Astros who seem to own him. Its like they gave the game away that makes more sense.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
rwongega wrote:
DeShaun Watson tears ACL in practice. Huge injury for a running QB.

Jeremy Lane fails his physical so Seattle has to send a 3rd round pick to the Texans in the Brown trade.

The Astros sacrificed their integrity for a World Series title.

Fixed.

I will never understand why they would start Darvish in a Game 7 vs the Astros who seem to own him. Its like they gave the game away that makes more sense.

For his career, Darvish actually has good numbers against them.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Bet the Bills wishing they didn't give up DT Dareus? Formerly 3rd in the league against the run. Giving up almost 200 rushing yards to the likes of an elderly Matt Forte and undersized Powell/McGuire.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Bet the Bills wishing they didn't give up DT Dareus? Formerly 3rd in the league against the run. Giving up almost 200 rushing yards to the likes of an elderly Matt Forte and undersized Powell/McGuire.

He wasn't playing a lot of snaps though, right? If they struggle in run defense next week against New Orleans in Buffalo, that might be something, although the Saints are running the ball on everyone right now. I'll chalk tonight up to mostly the usual screwy Thursday night football shenanigans, where I don't make any judgments from football players having to play two games in 5 days.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

He wasn't playing a lot of snaps though, right? If they struggle in run defense next week against New Orleans in Buffalo, that might be something, although the Saints are running the ball on everyone right now. I'll chalk tonight up to mostly the usual screwy Thursday night football shenanigans, where I don't make any judgments from football players having to play two games in 5 days.

Mostly run downs.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

The Colts won not sure if that's a good thing
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

The Saints have it all, Brees, a top running game and a tough defense. Could be a great season for who dat.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Saints have it all, Brees, a top running game and a tough defense. Could be a great season for who dat.

I think they can make the playoffs don't see a deep playoff run for them though regular season doesn't equal postseason.

The Eagles are the team to beat for now 8-1 and still rolling.

Course I don't think they'll win the SB either.

The Broncos offense is worse now than when Manning was there.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. I was pondering whether the Texans losing was a good thing or a bad thing. Savage didn't suck as much as I thought he would, but he managed to suck just enough.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

They finally have balance. Saints should win the division easily considering Falcons still have that SB choke hangover, Panthers have a poor passing game, and I never bought the Bucs pre-season bandwagon. Whether they go deep in the playoffs will depend on how much their young D can hold up.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

That was a really good play call to end the half for the Chiefs.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. I was pondering whether the Texans losing was a good thing or a bad thing. Savage didn't suck as much as I thought he would, but he managed to suck just enough.

The season is over for both of us winning just ruins draft positioning.

But still as a fan you are glad for a win.

The Redskins upset the Seahawks that's the only pick I got wrong.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Colts and Texans need all the losses they can get to move up in the draft.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

Kaepernick would really help the Texans, if they were actually trying to compete. The problem is that even if they signed him now, it would take him at least a couple of weeks to get up to speed, and maybe even longer. By then, they could already be out of the race. I agree with AH that Savage wasn't as awful as I was expecting him to be today, but the opponent was the Colts, the game was in Houston, and they still lost. (In other words, I think he's still pretty awful.) It's looking like Jaguars vs. Titans for the AFC South title.

If New Orleans can go into Buffalo next week and win, I'm going to have to really take them seriously. That should be a tough place to play for them, and I think Buffalo will be angry--and rested--after what happened this past Thursday. I think Buffalo will beat them, but the Saints have opened as 2.5 point favorites. Maybe I'm just not giving the Saints enough credit. I know that Lattimore has been a home run draft pick, and perhaps he's having a similar effect as to what Jalen Ramsey provided the Jags last season as a rookie.

The Chiefs have now lost 3 of 4, and maybe they are starting to really feel the loss of Eric Berry. The defense is now ranked very low against both the run and the pass. I expect the offense to remain very good all year, but now Hunt is even struggling a bit, as Reid is strangely not giving him enough carries. I still think they will win the AFC West, as Denver's offense is a dumpster fire, the Chargers gave too many games away early and are probably at best a .500 team, and the Raiders have a brutal schedule down the stretch.

If Paxton Lynch looks like a flop for the rest of the season (and I would expect him to start next week if healthy), can Denver really go into 2018 without doing something at the QB position? They have just completely wasted a great defense over the past two seasons, especially this season. It looked to me like their defense finally cried uncle today against the Eagles.

Speaking of crying uncle, it's embarrassing how the Giants have just laid down. They have to blow McAdoo out of there. He's completely lost the team. And while it's best for the long-term future of the franchise for them to get a high draft pick for the '18 Draft, their effort is a joke. The play where Robert Woods scored today was remarkable in how feeble the defensive effort was.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Kaepernick would really help the Texans, if they were actually trying to compete. The problem is that even if they signed him now, it would take him at least a couple of weeks to get up to speed, and maybe even longer. By then, they could already be out of the race. I agree with AH that Savage wasn't as awful as I was expecting him to be today, but the opponent was the Colts, the game was in Houston, and they still lost. (In other words, I think he's still pretty awful.) It's looking like Jaguars vs. Titans for the AFC South title.

I think that Kaepernick is too much of controversy magnet for anyone. I can't imagine what team would sign him, just because of the backlash from the fans.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I think that Kaepernick is too much of controversy magnet for anyone. I can't imagine what team would sign him, just because of the backlash from the fans.

The entire idea of fans finding kneeling during the anthem to be detestable is absurd. Another grand distraction from how these people are really getting screwed over.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
The entire idea of fans finding kneeling during the anthem to be detestable is absurd. Another grand distraction from how these people are really getting screwed over.

I won't get into the politics of kneeling, but consider this: The whole point of a protest is to make a point and to evoke a reaction. If Kaepernick had decided to kneel for one minute before or after the anthem, no one would even have noticed. If you have the guts to make a stand and to demand attention, you need to be willing to weather the blow back.

So whether you agree or disagree with Kaepernick (that's a subject for The Political Thread), he knew that he was being provocative. NFL teams are commercial enterprises that sell tickets and TV rights. He just isn't a good enough QB for the positives to outweigh the negatives.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

The other problem is he simply isn't very good. He showed great potential early in his career but is doomed by a slow release and a lack of preparation.

Throw in the media circus that would come with signing him and it is easy to see why no team has done so.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:

You certainly are entitled to your opinion but to say it is absurd?

A lot of people must be living in absurd land then, because it has hit a raw nerve with many (including myself) and certainly impacted the NFL negatively.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

^
I am not saying that Kaepernick is an All-Pro QB. He's not that. However, if the true objective is to try to win football games, no one on Earth can say with a straight face that Tom Savage, or Matt McGloin, or TJ Yates gives you a better chance to win football games than Kaepernick would. Kaepernick did not play badly last season. Yes, the 49ers were horrible, but I think he had 16 TD's and 4 INT's and he can obviously move in the pocket, extend plays, and just flat-out run for first downs. (A quick check shows that he did, indeed, have a 16/4 split, with a 90.7 QB rating and even a 55.2 QBR, with a 50 QBR indicating "average" QB performance.) Savage is a statue back there, and he was 8 for 26 in the first 3 quarters...against the Colts! I mean, Kaepernick plays similarly to Watson for heaven's sake, though I'm not going to argue that he would play as well as Watson was playing, of course.

Still, if this were strictly about trying to win, there is no question as to what the best option would be. But more is at play, and I understand that, and everyone else should, as well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

The other problem is he simply isn't very good. He showed great potential early in his career but is doomed by a slow release and a lack of preparation.

Throw in the media circus that would come with signing him and it is easy to see why no team has done so.

He never really learned to read defenses which limits what you can do offensively.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes, and Tom Savage limits EVERYTHING you can do offensively!

Watching the game tonight, and it's rather remarkable how awful Jon Gruden is. On that earlier personal foul penalty where Mike Daniels (from GB) head-butted the Lions player, they showed the replay, which clearly showed the head-butt, and Gruden said "wow, I don't see anything there." He's stunningly terrible as an analyst on TV.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Good job Lions you won a game you were supposed to.

Why doesn't NFL actually use flex scheduling?

Nobody needs to see the Pats/Broncos in primetime.

Or the Steelers/Packers without Rodgers I don't care if they're storied franchises that game will be zzzzz without quality QB play. The Saints/Rams should play on SNF that night.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I am not saying that Kaepernick is an All-Pro QB. He's not that. However, if the true objective is to try to win football games, no one on Earth can say with a straight face that Tom Savage, or Matt McGloin, or TJ Yates gives you a better chance to win football games than Kaepernick would. Kaepernick did not play badly last season. Yes, the 49ers were horrible, but I think he had 16 TD's and 4 INT's and he can obviously move in the pocket, extend plays, and just flat-out run for first downs. (A quick check shows that he did, indeed, have a 16/4 split, with a 90.7 QB rating and even a 55.2 QBR, with a 50 QBR indicating "average" QB performance.) Savage is a statue back there, and he was 8 for 26 in the first 3 quarters...against the Colts! I mean, Kaepernick plays similarly to Watson for heaven's sake, though I'm not going to argue that he would play as well as Watson was playing, of course.

Still, if this were strictly about trying to win, there is no question as to what the best option would be. But more is at play, and I understand that, and everyone else should, as well.

The other thing with Kaepernick, besides major drama, is he's just kind of old. He's 30 yrs old already. Hasn't really played in a while and a major headache.

If I'm a team, I'm easily passing on Kaep to play some of my younger options.

Kaep has talents but leadership is not one of them and that might be the more important trait for a signal caller.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Page 57 of 115
Jump to: