2017-18 NFL Thread - Eagles Defeat the Evil Empire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Someone flew a banner over stubhub during the game that called Dean spanos the worst owner in sports. Not a good look at your home opener in a new city at a soccer stadium.

http://thecomeback.com/nfl/banner-flown-over-chargers-game-calls-dean-spanos-worst-owner-in-sports.html

Everyone in the stadium loved that. Well, almost everyone.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I still do not really get it.....why did the Rams and Chargers want to go to LA so badly if the city is not going to support them? Is there any chance both of these teams are successful long term in LA?

TV money.
Team valuations.
Corporate sponsors.
Both teams increased in value once they relocated.
Remember if the Chargers didn't exercise their Inglewood option, the Raiders would've considered coming back to LA. However once the NFL decided to lock them out of the market, they went to Las Vegas.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I still do not really get it.....why did the Rams and Chargers want to go to LA so badly if the city is not going to support them? Is there any chance both of these teams are successful long term in LA?

I don't think either owner expected a) the lack of enthusiasm in LA for either team would be as bad as it is, or b) the attrition of their fan base would be as bad as it's been (especially in Spanos' case).

Most people I know wanted the Raiders back.....instead they gave us 2 awful teams. One is always going to have trouble filling a 90k seat stadium and the other one has massively overpriced tickets which will end up being occupied by the opposing fans. Rams from what I've seen and heard at least have close to 50 years of history here so all the fans with nostalgia will go to their games...I'm not sure what the hell the Chargers are doing. Stan won't care once the new stadium gets built since he will get lots of rental income from Spanos, Final Four tournaments, not to mention the prestige of hosting the Olympics in 2028.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject:

I'd just like to add that right at the end of the first half at Arrowhead, the Eagles kicker was lined up for a short FG attempt. The Chiefs called timeout, and the dude kicked the ball through the uprights anyway, with whistles clearly blowing.

He then missed the chip shot right after that when it counted.

I'm telling y'all, it is genuinely one of the strangest phenomena I've come across in sports.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I'd just like to add that right at the end of the first half at Arrowhead, the Eagles kicker was lined up for a short FG attempt. The Chiefs called timeout, and the dude kicked the ball through the uprights anyway, with whistles clearly blowing.

I'm telling y'all, it is genuinely one of the strangest phenomena I've come across in sports.

LOL, I thought of you when I saw that
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

It cost the Chargers. Bronco's blocked the kick after the icing. It was the Chargers though. They probably would have won in OT.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

TV money.
Team valuations.
Corporate sponsors.
Remember if the Chargers didn't exercise their Inglewood option, the Raiders would've considered coming back to LA. However once the NFL decided to lock them out of the market, they went to Las Vegas.

I guess, but if that logic holds true, why did the Rams and Raiders bolt? My gut says the Rams should be in LA....grew up a big Dickerson fan, but the Chargers seem like an odd fit.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

2 weeks in and NE and ATL still look like the best 2 teams.

Here is my Superbowl pick though, KC vs. GB (bc NFL playoffs are a crapshoot).

Hoping TB can win the division and a playoff game, a postseason win would be HUGE for this young team.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

^^^

I think NE is too banged up this year. Their defense looks suspect, too, though they should be able to dominate my toothless Texans this weekend. If The Texans manage more than 14 points on offense (not counting defense and special teams), that's a big red flag for the Patriots.

I won't make any predictions this early in the year, but I will comment that the Panthers and Raiders seem to be flying under the radar.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I don't think either owner expected a) the lack of enthusiasm in LA for either team would be as bad as it is, or b) the attrition of their fan base would be as bad as it's been (especially in Spanos' case).

Most people I know wanted the Raiders back.....instead they gave us 2 awful teams. One is always going to have trouble filling a 90k seat stadium and the other one has massively overpriced tickets which will end up being occupied by the opposing fans. Rams from what I've seen and heard at least have close to 50 years of history here so all the fans with nostalgia will go to their games...I'm not sure what the hell the Chargers are doing. Stan won't care once the new stadium gets built since he will get lots of rental income from Spanos, Final Four tournaments, not to mention the prestige of hosting the Olympics in 2028.

The Chargers trotted out the 1960 Los Angeles Chargers team in yesterday's game. Pretty sure most of the Charger fans in attendance had to look them up on their phones.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

TV money.
Team valuations.
Corporate sponsors.

I guess, but if that logic holds true, why did the Rams and Raiders bolt? My gut says the Rams should be in LA....grew up a big Dickerson fan, but the Chargers seem like an odd fit.

They all needed new stadiums, but 1 would end up being on the outs and that was the Raiders.....The NFL didn't want the Raiders back because the gang culture in LA incorporated Raiders colors in the 80's and 90's, and the NFL didn't want to be associated with that....too bad considering there are way more Raider fans in LA than either of the two teams they brought back. Did you know there are still multiple Raider fan stores in the LA area, this 20+ years after they picked up and moved back to Oakland. The Raiders still kept LA as their local territory even after they moved which meant that their games were still shown on local TV up until this year.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

ATL is showing signs of going to the SB again. Matt Ryan is looking good. The Baaaad Man did a good job but it just wasn't enough. The Pack made a charge near the end but ATL held on.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

TV money.
Team valuations.
Corporate sponsors.

They all needed new stadiums, but 1 would end up being on the outs and that was the Raiders.....The NFL didn't want the Raiders back because the gang culture in LA incorporated Raiders colors in the 80's and 90's, and the NFL didn't want to be associated with that....too bad considering there are way more Raider fans in LA than either of the two teams they brought back. Did you know there are still multiple Raider fan stores in the LA area, this 20+ years after they picked up and moved back to Oakland. The Raiders still kept LA as their local territory even after they moved which meant that their games were still shown on local TV up until this year.

Is the embolden true? I hadn't heard that. It make sense. It had no affect when they were here for 10 years. Las Vegas has a large number of gangs.

Also the Vegas reputation for gambling weighs heavy for me. Was that association considered? It would more affect the brand than gangs.

Raider fans from Oakland were large in attendance at home games when they were in LA. I wonder if they'll be as much in Vegas?

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

TV money.
Team valuations.
Corporate sponsors.

Is the embolden true? I hadn't heard that. It make sense. It had no affect when they were here for 10 years. Las Vegas has a large number of gangs.

Also the Vegas reputation for gambling weighs heavy for me. Was that association considered? It would more affect the brand than gangs.

Raider fans from Oakland were large in attendance at home games when they were in LA. I wonder if they'll be as much in Vegas?

ESPN article from a while back...
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

Quote:
By most estimates, Carson had managed to cobble together 18 votes, shy of the 24 required for relocation. The Rams moving alone to Inglewood had only about seven votes. Many owners thought Kroenke was hell-bent on trying to reach nine, just enough to prevent the Carson project from reaching 24 votes and keeping him in the game. The silent majority preferred the Inglewood site but liked Spanos better than Kroenke. Most owners wanted to avoid a Raiders return to Los Angeles, owing to Al Davis' burned bridges and the co-opting of the team apparel by gangs, concerns so deep that some wouldn't even consider Carson. "It's hard to get owners to move," Iger says now. "Each one is a boss in his own right."

I'm sure you can find the same sentiments from the owners if you look around. Not really a surprise.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

TV money.
Team valuations.
Corporate sponsors.

ESPN article from a while back...
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

Quote:
By most estimates, Carson had managed to cobble together 18 votes, shy of the 24 required for relocation. The Rams moving alone to Inglewood had only about seven votes. Many owners thought Kroenke was hell-bent on trying to reach nine, just enough to prevent the Carson project from reaching 24 votes and keeping him in the game. The silent majority preferred the Inglewood site but liked Spanos better than Kroenke. Most owners wanted to avoid a Raiders return to Los Angeles, owing to Al Davis' burned bridges and the co-opting of the team apparel by gangs, concerns so deep that some wouldn't even consider Carson. "It's hard to get owners to move," Iger says now. "Each one is a boss in his own right."

I'm sure you can find the same sentiments from the owners if you look around. Not really a surprise.

As I said I understand. However what's to stop gangs in Vegas from "co-opting of the team apparel by gangs?" Crips and Bloods are nationwide.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Those are the owners sentiments not mine. I'm sure they probably saw that Raiders gear were in some NWA rap videos and probably got that idea as well.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ATL is showing signs of going to the SB again. Matt Ryan is looking good. The Baaaad Man did a good job but it just wasn't enough. The Pack made a charge near the end but ATL held on.

Its Week 2

But if ATL is going to the SB again they better win it this time.

Matt Ryan is looking good though so maybe people will stop thinking it was only Shanahan last season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Sean McDonough just referred to an end around as a reverse, which of course is not correct, and this is a common miss by announcers. If Beth Mowins had done that last week, she would've gotten a ton of crap for it and people would've said she doesn't know the game.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Its Week 2

But if ATL is going to the SB again they better win it this time.

Matt Ryan is looking good though so maybe people will stop thinking it was only Shanahan last season.

Yeah but he's not making Matt Stafford money. Five-year extension, $135 million, includes a $50 million signing bonus and $92 million in guaranteed money.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Paul Perkins is terrible. Sorry. He has no elusiveness whatsoever. He's genuinely terrible.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

My son is a Giant fan. I always text him, Wait for it, Wait for it. Then LINK Did it again tonight.

MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy Ansah has been one of the more underrated Defensive ends in football for a while now.

Good to see him shine on a National platform tonight with the 3 sacks.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Sean McDonough just referred to an end around as a reverse, which of course is not correct, and this is a common miss by announcers. If Beth Mowins had done that last week, she would've gotten a ton of crap for it and people would've said she doesn't know the game.

I think both are bad at their jobs.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I think both are bad at their jobs.

Yep.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Report: Charles Tillman training to join FBI

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/19/report-charles-tillman-training-to-join-fbi/

Quote:
Report: Charles Tillman training to join FBI

Football players wind up doing a wide variety of things once their playing days are over with coaching and broadcasting serving as popular post-retirement choices.

Former Bears and Panthers cornerback Charles Tillman did some television work last year, but is now reportedly moving in a different direction. Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports via multiple sources that Tillman hopes to land a job with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and is currently training to make that happen.

A spokesman for the FBI’s Chicago office said they do not comment on personnel matters.

Tillman’s football skills may not make for an obvious crossover with FBI work, although Johnny Utah made it work in Point Break. If nothing else, the Peanut Punch he used to dislodge 44 footballs over the course of his career could come in handy in certain situations.

New hires for the FBI must be younger than 37 and Tillman turns 37 next February, so there’s a limited window for Tillman, who has a degree in criminal justice from the University of Louisiana-Lafayette, to get hired before he’ll have to shift his aspirations elsewhere.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Page 35 of 115
Jump to: