Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Upgrading Pittsburgh at the corners might not be the answer. It isn't just problems at CB, the Steelers have been using soft zone defensive schemes for over a decade. Upgrading could allow them to play more man, but that's why I like Tomlin as their HC. Tomlin is in love with those soft zone schemes, which Brady just loves to attack.

Spoken like a true Patriots fan. Sorry charlie, Pitt is upgrading at CB and OLB. They'll be playing more man this season. May not be so easy for the Pats to win in the next meeting. A 40 year old Brady, i don't know.....He was never good at handling pressure to begin with.

What's Pittsburgh's record versus Brady? 2 wins, 10 losses. Now tell me something, was it Brady or Roethlisberger who had a subpar season? And was it Brady or Roethlisberger who, after getting his ass kicked, was talking about retiring?

Patriots got a little lucky with Bell going down in the first quarter. Would've been a different game otherwise. The Pats should've also made Kyle Shanahan the Super Bowl MVP. Was Kyle secretly working for Belicheck? That game was over until Shanahan called that mysterious pass play at the Pats 22.

Right. The Patriots didn't win the Super Bowl, it was a conspiracy. And Bell would have won the game for the Steelers. And the defensive scheme that Tomlin wasn't a factor when the Patriots beat the Steelers 10 times out of the last 12 games.

It's kind of like your economic analysis... everything just defies logic.

don't get defensive dude, i'm just having fun. I said the AFCCG game would've been very different. And it would have. Look i don't care what you think, your the one making assumptions, I just said the Patsies are the beneficiaries of some serious luck , And I do think your Patriots should give Kyle Shanahan that MVP trophy
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I get it, you're a troll.

I should have known better. No one could possibly be that unintentionally stupid in both the NFL and The Political Threads.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Yeah, I get it, you're a troll.

I should have known better. No one could possibly be that unintentionally dense in both the NFL and The Political Thread.

Oh i'm the troll? , we're having a discussion about the NFL and defenses and you throw out a sarcastic remark about Tomlin and the Steelers' defensive scheme and your surprised when i respond back? typical trash

And just because you don't understand something i said about housing, which is true, i'm in the middle of it, you try to cast it off with an insult? Dude just get out of here with that weak sh**, You just made yourself look pretty stupid.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
BirdMagicLegend wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
BirdMagicLegend wrote:
Isaiah Thomas says Tom Brady texted him after the Super Bowl and said, "It's your turn next."

How do you Laker/Patriots fans feel about this quote of Brady giving support to the team you despise? Not that I think the Celtics have a chance this year and it would be a very slight chance.

You have to remember the dynasty New England Patriots are as Boston as any of the other teams including the Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins even Revolution.

Rooting for both the Lakers and Patriots it just sounds so wrong. The same goes for the Yankees/Patriots fans I've come across in other forums. It doesn't make any sense.

It's funny that Brady is like our Kobe Bryant. Kobe is a HOF player, a legend who will be always be compared to the greatest player in the history of the NBA in Michael Jordan. Brady has similar comparisons to his childhood idol Joe Montana though I think he has surpassed Montana with this latest Superbowl win.

I think you need to get out more.

I get out plenty enough. I know how you became a Patriots fan but you never responded to Brady's support of a team you hate nor my comparison to of Brady to Kobe Bryant. Does his text to Isaiah bother you?

I didn't respond because the quote doesn't affect my like or dislike of anything Boston-related. The personnel on the local teams support one another, which is done in other cities outside of Boston.

You post just reminds me of why New Yorkers make fun of Bostonians, in that Boston is very provincial. Kobe was raised in Italy and later, in Pennsylvania. Brady was raised in California, and later Michigan. Lakers fans don't see this as any validation of Los Angeles, but it is weird how the local yokels out here think of Brady is a validation of Boston. You know what's even funnier? All the local yokels who used to call into Boston sports radio stations a few years ago, claiming the Brady had become "too Californian" as he bought a residence there, and used that as a reason to attack his ability and desire to win more championships.

Brady isn't a validation of anything Boston, and his support of another local sports team is a common practice among other athletes, and thus more widespread than you realized. And yes, your opinion is indicative of someone who is being provincial and needs to get out a bit more.

Sorry I'm bringing this from the 2016 NFL topic but I never got a chance to address this post.

I don't care where the players come from. Paul Pierce is also a native of California and a former Lakers fan, but Celtics fans have never held that against him when he was playing for us all these years even when we knew he would have loved playing for his hometown team. They still loved him. Same would be true of Brady who grew up idolizing Montana in San Mateo. I wouldn't put too much stock in what some of the local fans say on sports radio either because they do not represent the general Boston sports fan and some of them are idiots or intentionally say silly things to get a laugh out of their friends. Similarly, I don't care where a player comes at all as long as he plays his best for the team he is on. Even those Boston fans who dislike Brady for his relationship to Trump are being ridiculous. His political views have nothing to do with his career and job.

Provincial? I need to get out more? Here in Boston, our fans take a lot of pride in rooting for all our Boston teams even when they are not doing so well or are not championship teams. Most of them could never imagine changing allegiances to Golden State or Cleveland becoming bandwagon fans. Is that so hard to imagine for you?

In my opinion, acceptable reasons to become fans of another city's teams would be if one of your parents/grandparents initiated you into another team.

In your case, you lived in the Boston area for many years and didn't have an NFL team in LA (though you had the Chargers, 49ers, Raiders nearby) to root for so you picked the Patriots anyways. It makes sense I guess but will you ever consider supporting the two new teams in the LA area the Rams and Chargers as a second team? Do you see a lot of the same characteristics in both Kobe and Tom Brady?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

My issue with most Boston sports fans is their lack of self awareness.

They have great success but they act like underdogs even though they shouldn't considering they live in a big market, have won tons of championships etc. At least NYC and LA own their entitlement. Bawston is totally entitled yet they act like martyrs.

They claim to be rather liberal but they have managed to be one of the most racist sports fanbases I've encountered(and I live in Indiana go figure). There's a reason Bill Russell keeps Boston at a considerable distance he hasn't forgotten the racist treatment he received from that fanbase.

Then they wonder why people hate them?

I may not care for NY sports teams and to a lesser extent a lot of LA teams but at least they own their entitlement and don't play victim when called out for it.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:

I don't care where the players come from. Paul Pierce is also a native of California and a former Lakers fan, but Celtics fans have never held that against him when he was playing for us all these years even when we knew he would have loved playing for his hometown team. They still loved him. Same would be true of Brady who grew up idolizing Montana in San Mateo. I wouldn't put too much stock in what some of the local fans say on sports radio either because they do not represent the general Boston sports fan and some of them are idiots or intentionally say silly things to get a laugh out of their friends. Similarly, I don't care where a player comes at all as long as he plays his best for the team he is on. Even those Boston fans who dislike Brady for his relationship to Trump are being ridiculous. His political views have nothing to do with his career and job.

Of course you didn't care that PP grew up in Inglewood. The Celtics fans didn't care either. It's called bandwagon, because Boston is strictly a baseball town (the Red Sox fans are extremely loyal), up until the point in time that the Celtics began winning. I used to ask Celtics fans who was in their starting line-up prior to the arrival of KG and Ray Allen, and the vast majority didn't know. Most of the Laker fan base remembers the cries of "Kobe, Kobe" and "MVP, MVP" whenever he played at the Garden. I know, because I was there. The hardcore Boston fans were a minority in attendance.

But I digress, as that isn't really my point. My point is that many Bostonians believe that winning somehow validates Boston. While every fanbase has a number of yoyos who believe in this form of validation, it is a very common "small town" attitude among the Boston sports fans.

BirdMagicLegend wrote:

Provincial? I need to get out more? Here in Boston, our fans take a lot of pride in rooting for all our Boston teams even when they are not doing so well or are not championship teams. Most of them could never imagine changing allegiances to Golden State or Cleveland becoming bandwagon fans. Is that so hard to imagine for you?

You don't know what provincial means, at least in this context. My NYC friends warned me about Boston before I moved here. It had nothing to do with sports, but rather a mindset about Bostonians, in that most never travel further than the NH border. Many folks have a small town mindset and a limited perspective, making it seem more like a small town rather than a large city. This isn't universal, there are pockets of resistance in the professional and academics, but it's sort of like a college town beset with townies versus gownies mentality.

BirdMagicLegend wrote:

In my opinion, acceptable reasons to become fans of another city's teams would be if one of your parents/grandparents initiated you into another team.

In your case, you lived in the Boston area for many years and didn't have an NFL team in LA (though you had the Chargers, 49ers, Raiders nearby) to root for so you picked the Patriots anyways. It makes sense I guess but will you ever consider supporting the two new teams in the LA area the Rams and Chargers as a second team? Do you see a lot of the same characteristics in both Kobe and Tom Brady?

That part is true. I grew up a Dodgers fan as my father grew up in Brooklyn, so it was a tradition (had he grown up in Queens, I would have been a Giants fan, God forbid). We also went to see the Lakers at the Sports Arena. Vin Scully and Chick Hearn accompanied me late night as I slaved away doing homework. I never followed the Chargers. I liked the Rams in Jr. High, when I realized that I wanted to learn the game well enough to play it later in high school. I heard that if you were a HS football player you'd get girls. They lied.

BirdMagicLegend wrote:

Do you see a lot of the same characteristics in both Kobe and Tom Brady?

Yes. That is why I'm enjoying Brady for what he is here and now, as like pre-Achilles tear Kobe, the ride will soon be over. He's like Kobe, there's a thirst for winning and excellence. I've heard first-hand how Brady (in absence of the press) will flash anger at losing during practice. There's a desire to improve their craft that is unmatched by their more gifted peers. LeBron, TMac, and Carter were all more athletic and talented than Kobe. Rodgers, Bledsoe, and Manning all had better arms than Brady. But Kobe and Brady honed their craft, and were superior players and competitors. There's a saying that most Lakers fans might appreciate, especially when they look at the current mess the team is in, and who is leading it: Talent and athleticism determines the floor, character determines the ceiling. Kobe and Brady have character. They are the ones their teams look to for leadership, they are the ones you need during a "must win" game, they are the ones you want with the ball during any desperate, late game situation.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/26/ravens-matt-elam-arrested-on-drug-charges/

Quote:
Ravens’ Matt Elam arrested on drug charges

Ravens safety Matt Elam has been arrested on drug charges in Miami.

According to Miami-Dade police records, Elam was booked at 3:45 a.m. today on charges of possession of more than 20 grams of cannabis, possession of cannabis with the intent to sell or deliver, and possession of a controlled substance.

Police say they initially pulled Elam over for reckless driving and found 126 grams of marijuana and three grams of oxycodone in his vehicle.

The 25-year-old Elam was the Ravens’ first-round draft pick in 2013. The Ravens did not pick up Elam’s fifth-year option, so he becomes a free agent next month.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/26/ravens-matt-elam-arrested-on-drug-charges/

Quote:
Ravens’ Matt Elam arrested on drug charges

Ravens safety Matt Elam has been arrested on drug charges in Miami.

According to Miami-Dade police records, Elam was booked at 3:45 a.m. today on charges of possession of more than 20 grams of cannabis, possession of cannabis with the intent to sell or deliver, and possession of a controlled substance.

Police say they initially pulled Elam over for reckless driving and found 126 grams of marijuana and three grams of oxycodone in his vehicle.

The 25-year-old Elam was the Ravens’ first-round draft pick in 2013. The Ravens did not pick up Elam’s fifth-year option, so he becomes a free agent next month.

One of Ozzie's few non-injury related busts.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Of course you didn't care that PP grew up in Inglewood. The Celtics fans didn't care either. It's called bandwagon, because Boston is strictly a baseball town (the Red Sox fans are extremely loyal), up until the point in time that the Celtics began winning. I used to ask Celtics fans who was in their starting line-up prior to the arrival of KG and Ray Allen, and the vast majority didn't know. Most of the Laker fan base remembers the cries of "Kobe, Kobe" and "MVP, MVP" whenever he played at the Garden. I know, because I was there. The hardcore Boston fans were a minority in attendance.

But I digress, as that isn't really my point. My point is that many Bostonians believe that winning somehow validates Boston. While every fanbase has a number of yoyos who believe in this form of validation, it is a very common "small town" attitude among the Boston sports fans.

What are you talking about? I don’t think fans in general care too much about where their players come from that was my point. There are bandwagon fans in every fanbase including the Lakers because we could ask the average Lakers fan who was on the team before Kobe and Shaq and they wouldn’t be able to tell you. In fact, Laker fans are known for being fairweather and I even posted in another topic total attendance numbers for both Celtics/Lakers in the 90s when both teams were bad and the Celtics games had better attendance than the Lakers games.

The Kobe MVP chants were started by Laker fans at the Garden at the end of the game when most Celtics fans had already left. As for Bostonians believing their team validates Boston, sure why not and other fans have the same attitude? You don’t think the Cubs winning it this past season brought a measure of pride to the entire city of Chicago or Lebron/Cavs winning it bringing joy to Cleveland after so many years of futility. Like it or not, the team is linked with the city and you saw this very clearly with the 2013 Red Sox winning it all and the whole “Boston Strong” message after the terrorist attack. The Yankees fans had a similar mindset when the 2001 Yankees went to the World Series after 911. There are many examples.

angrypuppy wrote:

You don't know what provincial means, at least in this context. My NYC friends warned me about Boston before I moved here. It had nothing to do with sports, but rather a mindset about Bostonians, in that most never travel further than the NH border. Many folks have a small town mindset and a limited perspective, making it seem more like a small town rather than a large city. This isn't universal, there are pockets of resistance in the professional and academics, but it's sort of like a college town beset with townies versus gownies mentality.

Again, I don’t see a problem to have pride in your sports team or linking it to the city they represent. However, I don’t get how you can then make a conclusion/generalization that Bostonians have a small town mindset and a limited perspective just based on their pride with their sports teams or winning validates the city. What's the alternative? To become a bandwagoner and root for the winning team in another city? I’ve traveled several times to California where some of my friends live and Florida, New York, Washington DC in the past few years. I can appreciate growing up around Boston but I realize it isn’t perfect and living expenses are really high compared to other parts of the country just to name one example. The city basically shuts down after 2am and some drivers are very rude etc.

angrypuppy wrote:

That part is true. I grew up a Dodgers fan as my father grew up in Brooklyn, so it was a tradition (had he grown up in Queens, I would have been a Giants fan, God forbid). We also went to see the Lakers at the Sports Arena. Vin Scully and Chick Hearn accompanied me late night as I slaved away doing homework. I never followed the Chargers. I liked the Rams in Jr. High, when I realized that I wanted to learn the game well enough to play it later in high school. I heard that if you were a HS football player you'd get girls. They lied.

Ok cool. I grew up watching Larry Bird/Reggie Lewis and the Celtics and a bit of the Red Sox with Roger Clemens. I admit I knew about the Patriots before Brady but I didn't understand the game until much later. And even now, I really enjoy the Pats but still put them after the Celtics and Red Sox because I had so much more history with those teams.

angrypuppy wrote:

Yes. That is why I'm enjoying Brady for what he is here and now, as like pre-Achilles tear Kobe, the ride will soon be over. He's like Kobe, there's a thirst for winning and excellence. I've heard first-hand how Brady (in absence of the press) will flash anger at losing during practice. There's a desire to improve their craft that is unmatched by their more gifted peers. LeBron, TMac, and Carter were all more athletic and talented than Kobe. Rodgers, Bledsoe, and Manning all had better arms than Brady. But Kobe and Brady honed their craft, and were superior players and competitors. There's a saying that most Lakers fans might appreciate, especially when they look at the current mess the team is in, and who is leading it: Talent and athleticism determines the floor, character determines the ceiling. Kobe and Brady have character. They are the ones their teams look to for leadership, they are the ones you need during a "must win" game, they are the ones you want with the ball during any desperate, late game situation.

I don't disagree with much of what you said here. I never liked Kobe but I'll always respect him as a fierce competitor and rival. He is to Laker fans what Tom Brady is to Patriots fans or David Ortiz to Red Sox fans. We are lucky to have seen these legendary players. Even Kobe himself gave Brady some respect after they made their huge comeback in the Superbowl.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Uh, Florida, DC and NYC doesn't qualify you as well-traveled ("Hello World, I travel on Amtrak!"). It's not even close, BirdMagicLegend. That's exactly what I'm talking about when I state that Bostonians tend to have a provincial mindset, which is a function of having not traveled far or lived for long outside of Boston. That doesn't mean you are, but I think the movie, Good Will Hunting hinted at limited perspective when Robin Williams' character needled Will Hunting, that he had probably never traveled outside of Boston.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
I'm not convinced Cousins is a long-term solution. The raw metrics look pleasing (oh gee, he's on a par with Andrew Luck) but I haven't seen anything that convinces me he merits a record contract in guaranteed money. Right now the consensus is that WA will capitulate, but if Cousins is indeed seeking that sweet contract, they might as well apply the franchise tag. They won't be losing that much in terms of current payroll/cap incremental salary, and they won't be committing themselves to a financially damaging commitment.

If SF offered a first round pick, second overall (which is probably what Cousin's agent is gaming) I'd have to consider it as the WA GM. I'd probably refuse it though, as the QB options look especially abysmal this offseason.

If the Washington FO believes the same, then you have to trade him IMO. What's the point of having him for 1 more year and then he walks for nothing? Obviously, if they tag him for a 2nd straight year, he then becomes an unrestricted free agent. It's not like the Redskins are so good that they are a SB contender. They won the division in '15 when the whole division sucked, and last year they missed the playoffs. They are basically a .500 team over the past 2 seasons. They have holes on the roster for sure. If they could get a ransom for Cousins--and I think they could get even more than the #2 overall pick for him--I think the smart play is to move him for that package. That is, if you believe he's not a long-term solution.

Looks like you might be right, or at the very least Cousins versus the Redskins has taken a more acrimonious turn. Cousins' camp leaked out that he wants to play in SF and won't sign a long-term deal if traded; Washington returned the volley with an exclusive rights, franchise tag.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

In other news:
Chargers place franchise tag on Melvin Ingram
Vikings release Peterson
Chiefs make Berry highest paid safety in league
Steelers make AB highest paid receiver in the league
Chandler Jones given franchise tag by Cards

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
In other news:
Vikings release Peterson

Mildly surprised at the Chargers, good for them.

Peterson release was inevitable.

Berry looks like heart and soul of the KC defense, very expensive but understandable. That's a lot of guaranteed money.

I touted Brown as the best, it's a tough call between him and Julio Jones. The Steelers have to lean on their receiving corp, especially if they want Roethlisberger back. Good move, though I'd have to see how much of that is guaranteed.

Jones has a tendency to start each season with a bang, and fade a bit. The tag buys AZ a little more time, I think they'll reach a long-term deal.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
In other news:
Vikings release Peterson

Not surprising. They could have a good thing going with him and Bosa.

Not surprising. He'll find his way onto a RB starved contender soon.

Well deserved but that's a lot for a safety even as good as Berry is (but good to see a cancer survivor make good).

AB doesn't quite have the physical attributes that can prolong a WR's career but he's a smart guy. We'll have to see down the line whether it was worth it.

Probably just a delaying tactic.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject:

AP really doesn't have much left. If any team trades for him thinking he can carry an offense, they are going to be sorely mistaken.

I'm actually more interested in Jamaal Charles, even though he might be done, too. I think I've seen enough to where AP just doesn't have any bullets left. We've barely seen any JC over the past 2 seasons. Maybe it's possible he has one good season left in him (or more), though he also can't be counted on as a carry-the-mail guy.

I would expect the Cardinals to get something done with Jones. They gave up a lot to get him, and he was good last season.

Beckham will probably get paid more than AB, once his rookie deal is up.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Uh, Florida, DC and NYC doesn't qualify you as well-traveled ("Hello World, I travel on Amtrak!"). It's not even close, BirdMagicLegend. That's exactly what I'm talking about when I state that Bostonians tend to have a provincial mindset, which is a function of having not traveled far or lived for long outside of Boston. That doesn't mean you are, but I think the movie, Good Will Hunting hinted at limited perspective when Robin Williams' character needled Will Hunting, that he had probably never traveled outside of Boston.

Did I mention I also went to South Korea to visit my wife's family 2 years ago? It's getting so ridiculous the generalizations you are making here. You are generalizing that most people in Boston never travel past NH and hinting that Californians are well traveled. I know many of my friends here love to travel and have seen other countries and many other states so they don't really fall into this provincial mindset you are talking about.

So by your arbitrary requirements, someone needs to have traveled to what 25 states and several countries in order to be rid of this "provincial" mindset? I bet there are many people who live in California who rarely travel outside of the state which is pretty big anyways. And you are using a movie Good Will Hunting to help you prove this generalization you are making about Bostonians. I'm sorry but this generalization is pretty weak. You can't just take this one idea you were told about Bostonians and apply it to everyone who lives in the New England area.

You also didn't respond to the rest of my post.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Did I mention I also went to South Korea to visit my wife's family 2 years ago? It's getting so ridiculous the generalizations you are making here. You are generalizing that most people in Boston never travel past NH and hinting that Californians are well traveled. I know many of my friends here love to travel and have seen other countries and many other states so they don't really fall into this provincial mindset you are talking about.

So by your arbitrary requirements, someone needs to have traveled to what 25 states and several countries in order to be rid of this "provincial" mindset? I bet there are many people who live in California who rarely travel outside of the state which is pretty big anyways. And you are using a movie Good Will Hunting to help you prove this generalization you are making about Bostonians. I'm sorry but this generalization is pretty weak. You can't just take this one idea you were told about Bostonians and apply it to everyone who lives in the New England area.

You also didn't respond to the rest of my post.

I didn't respond to the rest as I'm getting fatigued having to state the same thing over again. Assuming you don't have a accent, you should really talk to someone well-traveled from NYC, LA, etc., on what they think of Boston, and for an unbiased opinion, don't mention you already live there. The answers will definitely surprise you. Some of the feedback will be less than flattering (folks will long remember the violent protest during the desegregation of Boston public schools), but you'll get a measure of what I've been describing as well.

If you don't feel like asking anyone, just type "boston" and "provincial" in Google. You'll get 16,200,000 results. Try it with other cities. You won't even approach that hit rate.

There's even a humorous stab in The Onion at the Boston's reputation at being very small town in character:

Pretty Cute Watching Boston Residents Play Daily Game Of ‘Big City’

Last edited by angrypuppy on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
AP really doesn't have much left. If any team trades for him thinking he can carry an offense, they are going to be sorely mistaken.

I'm actually more interested in Jamaal Charles, even though he might be done, too. I think I've seen enough to where AP just doesn't have any bullets left. We've barely seen any JC over the past 2 seasons. Maybe it's possible he has one good season left in him (or more), though he also can't be counted on as a carry-the-mail guy.

I would expect the Cardinals to get something done with Jones. They gave up a lot to get him, and he was good last season.

I agree, I think AP is finished. Jamaal Charles is definitely worth a look, and in fact I hope New England invites him in for a talk and a review of his medicals. He might be finished as well, but there's a greater likelihood that he'll be able to play another season or two. I suppose KC wanted to create some cap space after the Eric Berry re-signing, but then Jamaal Charles wasn't worth his "book value".
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I agree, I think AP is finished. Jamaal Charles is definitely worth a look, and in fact I hope New England invites him in for a talk and a review of his medicals. He might be finished as well, but there's a greater likelihood that he'll be able to play another season or two. I suppose KC wanted to create some cap space after the Eric Berry re-signing, but then Jamaal Charles wasn't worth his "book value".

KC needs to bring in another RB, either in free agency or through the draft. Ware got exposed badly as an every-down back as the season wore on. With the way Reid takes on "bad character" players, I wouldn't be shocked if they take the plunge on Joe Mixon sometime in the 3rd round or later.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Colin Krapernick opts out. Leaving a lot of money on the table because only a moron would want to sign him.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Jets release the Marshall Plan. He's going to be an interesting possibility.

Baltimore? They could use an established possession WR, especially in the wake of Steve Smith's retirement, and Marshall is also a beast in the red zone. I could see this as a good fit.

Tennessee? Perhaps if they fail to land Brandin Cooks (and that's a huge piece of news in and of itself), they could see Marshall as a cheaper alternative to a pursuit of someone like Alshon Jeffery.

Cincy? Imagine the towering presences of AJ Green and Marshall out wide, with Eifert as well down the middle. Could be a nightmare for opposing defenses in the red zone.

Buffalo? They desperately need talent to help Watkins.

Arizona? They really need someone to step up as an outside WR, as Fitzgerald is not only flirting with retirement, but is a slot WR now.

Tampa Bay? They've been linked to D-Jax, which does make sense, but Marshall would represent a nice upgrade on what V-Jax was giving them over the past couple of seasons.

Giants? They really do need an outside complement to Beckham, as Shepherd should play the slot.

Washington? They have said publicly that they are OK moving forward with Crowder and Doctson and Ryan Grant if they can't re-sign both D-Jax and Garcon, but if they did lose both, Marshall would be a much better version of Garcon in that offense, at the very least.

Philly? They need a dominant outside WR, which would allow them to play Matthews in the slot. Of course, D-Jax could be their WR target instead.

Dallas? While they certainly need an upgrade on Terrance Williams at the #2 WR spot, I don't see this being their best use of their resources. They need to spend their money on their CB situation and defense in general.

And, finally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the New England Patriots. I could actually see this working from a personnel perspective, if he's willing to sacrifice some money in order to have a real chance at a ring and to play with Brady.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Per Rapoport, the 49ers and in trade talks with the Redskins over Romo. The talk might even expand to Dallas and include Romo.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Per Rapoport, the 49ers and in trade talks with the Redskins over Romo. The talk might even expand to Dallas and include Romo.

Rapoport is one of the most inaccurate out there, though, and I find it hard to believe that the Redskins would want Romo. I do think Cousins to SF absolutely has legs, however.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/07/jack-doyle-signs-new-deal-with-colts/

Quote:
Jack Doyle signs new deal with Colts

New Colts General Manager Chris Ballard has made a move to hold onto one of the team’s impending free agents.

According to multiple reports, the Colts have re-signed tight end Jack Doyle. Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that it is a three-year deal. No financial details have been reported.

Doyle went undrafted in 2013 and initially signed with the Titans, but wound up with the Colts after failing to make Tennessee’s roster out of camp. The Indianapolis native caught 35 passes over his first three seasons, but took on a bigger role in the passing game during the 2016 campaign.

Doyle, who ranked 65th on PFT‘s list of the top free agents, caught 59 passes for 584 yards and five touchdowns. He’ll be back as a target for Andrew Luck on a Colts offense that also has Dwayne Allen and Erik Swoope at tight end.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

Adam Schefter‏
Verified account
 @AdamSchefter 3m
3 minutes ago

Brandon Marshall and NY Giants reach agreement on a two-year deal, per source. Marshall doesn’t have to move, now plays with Eli and OBJ.

Well, the Giants were on my list! Haha.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Page 4 of 115
Jump to: