2017-18 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 8955

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Beth Mowins sounds like she's impersonating baseball announcers from the movies. "Just a bit outsiiiiiiide." That type of thing.


Tony Romo was decent. I watched that game specifically to see how awful he'd be, but he surprised me.


A lot of people on Twitter are saying that. She is talking like a game show host.


"Rivers with the check dooooown, but well shyyyyyyy of the first doowwwn."

It's weird, but not the worst thing in the world.


She's not doing or saying anything that tons of male play-by-play men haven't been doing for decades.


Yes, but she's new and I'm commenting on her.

For the record: I think Madden is a baffoon. I find Scully's similar delivery annoying, from the little I've heard of him considering I'm not a baseball fan. Don't know much about Cassell since that's before my time.

Chick's delivery has nothing to do with her delivery, even if he was a game show host. Not all game show hosts sound the same, and I didn't even mention the game show bit, someone else did. She specifically reminded me of announcers from the movies. If she was a man and it was as noticeable, I'd say the same.

BTW, Marv Albert has a similar delivery and it's distracting, hence why I tend to turn down the volume when he does games. And he's a man.
_________________
íHala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19111
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Madden was okay but honestly I think he's more well known for the video game named after him than anything he did in the booth and that's surprising considering his career.


The point is, if John Madden was Joan Madden, she'd have bene crucified by some of the people deriding Mowins here.


No, just one in particular. I'm critical of both individuals in this pair. It's a new pair so I don't see why I shouldn't be able to voice my criticism of either. I don't care if one's a woman or the sideline reporter was Hispanic. Compared to the already low bar set by previous crews, this still managed to underwhelm.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7456
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

You'll appreciate this one, rwongega: Beth Mowins is like the Paul Perkins of NFL announcers. She doesn't add a ton but she can get what's blocked and does an average job.



In all seriousness though, there is such a double standard because she's a woman. Dick Stockton has been way past his prime for years and years and years, for example...does ANYBODY give him crap on social media when he does a game, when he can't keep up with the pace of the action? Again, I can admit she's not one of the best, but people are acting like she's never done this before and that it's the worst thing they've ever heard. I just don't get that.
_________________
My current plan of attack:

Get involved in this Melo-to-Houston trade, making it a 4-teamer with MIL and us. Deng ends up going to the Knicks, who get picks from us and MIL; we absorb Monroe's expiring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17729

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
I think Mowins has been fine, not great or anything but on par with other play by play people.

Rex Ryan has been awful though. Boring as hell.

That sideline guy tho.... YIKES. Wonder if they haven't gone back to him just cause he was so bad, or by design...


Rex Ryan is awful. He didnt even know the name of some of theae players. He just said "he gave the ball to the uhh back there". Cmon Rex!

The sideline guy is going viral now he was so bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 8955

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

He's auditioning for defensive coordinator, I think.
_________________
íHala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7456
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Beth Mowins sounds like she's impersonating baseball announcers from the movies. "Just a bit outsiiiiiiide." That type of thing.


Tony Romo was decent. I watched that game specifically to see how awful he'd be, but he surprised me.


A lot of people on Twitter are saying that. She is talking like a game show host.


"Rivers with the check dooooown, but well shyyyyyyy of the first doowwwn."

It's weird, but not the worst thing in the world.


She's not doing or saying anything that tons of male play-by-play men haven't been doing for decades.


Yes, but she's new and I'm commenting on her.

For the record: I think Madden is a baffoon. I find Scully's similar delivery annoying, from the little I've heard of him considering I'm not a baseball fan. Don't know much about Cassell since that's before my time.

Chick's delivery has nothing to do with her delivery, even if he was a game show host. Not all game show hosts sound the same, and I didn't even mention the game show bit, someone else did. She specifically reminded me of announcers from the movies. If she was a man and it was as noticeable, I'd say the same.

BTW, Marv Albert has a similar delivery and it's distracting, hence why I tend to turn down the volume when he does games. And he's a man.


Marv was an absolutely fantastic basketball announcer in his prime. Legendary. As he's gotten older, the pace of the game is a problem now for him, but his voice is still outstanding (one of the rare ones whose game call is accentuated by his voice, IMO). I never thought Marv was at home with football, though.
_________________
My current plan of attack:

Get involved in this Melo-to-Houston trade, making it a 4-teamer with MIL and us. Deng ends up going to the Knicks, who get picks from us and MIL; we absorb Monroe's expiring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17729

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
You'll appreciate this one, rwongega: Beth Mowins is like the Paul Perkins of NFL announcers. She doesn't add a ton but she can get what's blocked and does an average job.



In all seriousness though, there is such a double standard because she's a woman. Dick Stockton has been way past his prime for years and years and years, for example...does ANYBODY give him crap on social media when he does a game, when he can't keep up with the pace of the action? Again, I can admit she's not one of the best, but people are acting like she's never done this before and that it's the worst thing they've ever heard. I just don't get that.


This crew collectively is the worst I have heard for a MNF. Only been watching 17 years but still.

Mowins was actually better in the second half I thought. Maybe it was nerves I dunno, but that first half was unbearable all around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 27686

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Fumble.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17729

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Here we go!! Another turnover for the Charrrrrrrgers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7456
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Elbow was almost down (which Mowins pointed out and which Rex didn't even notice), but call correctly stands, as the ball was moving already.
_________________
My current plan of attack:

Get involved in this Melo-to-Houston trade, making it a 4-teamer with MIL and us. Deng ends up going to the Knicks, who get picks from us and MIL; we absorb Monroe's expiring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 27686

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Its a game....Chargers TD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17729

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Boommm!!!! Rivers to Benjamin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7456
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Quick strike TD! Benjamin can really run.
_________________
My current plan of attack:

Get involved in this Melo-to-Houston trade, making it a 4-teamer with MIL and us. Deng ends up going to the Knicks, who get picks from us and MIL; we absorb Monroe's expiring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17729

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

LOL. Rex Ryan talking to the production crew with his mic on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7456
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LOL. Rex Ryan talking to the production crew with his mic on.


Rex is doing far worse than Mowins is. In my Manti Te'o voice, faaaaaaaar worse.

You can tell that Mowins has done this before. You can also tell that Rex hasn't. Which makes Tony Romo's debut all the most impressive. He did a really nice job, by most accounts, and was predicting plays before they happened.
_________________
My current plan of attack:

Get involved in this Melo-to-Houston trade, making it a 4-teamer with MIL and us. Deng ends up going to the Knicks, who get picks from us and MIL; we absorb Monroe's expiring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 8955

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

edit: double post
_________________
íHala Madrid!


Last edited by Wilt on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 8955

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
He did a really nice job, by most accounts, and was predicting plays before they happened.


He should be able to predict injuries just as well.
_________________
íHala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 27686

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Good red zone defense by the Chargers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 27686

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Broncos choke job in progress?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7456
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Siemian takes a bad sack (the 2nd one), they miss the FG, and maybe the Chargers will come from behind to win, instead of coming from ahead to choke! Could set a big tone for the season if they come back to win.
_________________
My current plan of attack:

Get involved in this Melo-to-Houston trade, making it a 4-teamer with MIL and us. Deng ends up going to the Knicks, who get picks from us and MIL; we absorb Monroe's expiring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7456
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
He did a really nice job, by most accounts, and was predicting plays before they happened.


He should be able to predict injuries just as well.


Now that's just uncalled for.
_________________
My current plan of attack:

Get involved in this Melo-to-Houston trade, making it a 4-teamer with MIL and us. Deng ends up going to the Knicks, who get picks from us and MIL; we absorb Monroe's expiring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17729

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LOL. Rex Ryan talking to the production crew with his mic on.


Rex is doing far worse than Mowins is. In my Manti Te'o voice, faaaaaaaar worse.

You can tell that Mowins has done this before. You can also tell that Rex hasn't. Which makes Tony Romo's debut all the most impressive. He did a really nice job, by most accounts, and was predicting plays before they happened.


Oh totally. Rex is plain awful.

Mowins, just not digging her pirate style way of announcing. She hasn't rrally said anything that bad. She is just very hard to listen to.

And neithet are very inspiring on big momentum changing plays either.

Arrrrrrrr!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17729

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Staaap the claaaccckkk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17729

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

What was the point of that? Why not just kick on 3rd down?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 17729

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Oh man. That kid, Koo, must be nervous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 31 of 35
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB