2017-18 NFL Thread - Eagles Defeat the Evil Empire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
It was a very Chargers move to let Brees go when he finally looked like he was getting the hang of things in the NFL. Looking back on that move, everything worked out Brees won a Super Bowl and become an elite QB in the NFL for a period of time, while the Chargers suffered playopff defeats year after year and failed to meet expectations even though they had the talent to go much further in the playoffs.

Hindsight is 20/20 with that Bree's decision. People forget he blew out his shoulder in week 17 of '05 (his last game in SD), and a lot of people thought he'd never be the same. If you're Chargers management back then, it's tough to take a chance on re-signing Brees (he was an UFA, they didn't trade him) when you'd already invested a top 5 pick in a QB that had been sitting on the bench for 2 years.

Of course prime Brees and prime LT (and Jackson and Gates) would have been a sight to behold, and of course it worked out the way it did -- this is how things work for the Chargers. But it was a perfectly reasonable decision
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
rwongega wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
If the Chargers somehow luck into Darnold or Rosen (very real possibility now with their record and upcoming schedule) next year and dump Rivers and maybe even Lynn if he continues to make rookie mistakes, they'll rebound on AND off the field with the USC or UCLA fans they'll draw in. The talent is there on defense and with the offensive skill positions. Draft a QB in the 1st round + continue to build on defense with remaining picks, bring back a healthy 2017 1st rounder in Mike Williams + 2nd rounder in Forrest Lamp to boost the interior OL, and that team is ready to roll in 2018.

The one constant on all these failed Chargers teams the last decade is Rivers. Replace him with an young, athletic, mobile QB and the so-called curse will magically disappear...

That might be smart, which is what the Chargers won't do. Maybe they'll draft another WR #1 instead of filling holes in their lineup. Rivers is far and away not the problem of the team.

Unfortunately, I've watched almost every Chargers' game to some extent the last decade, being an SD native. I can say with confidence that people saying Rivers isn't the problem all these years IS actually the biggest problem. He's been good- even REALLY good in the old days - just not great. And it takes a great QB to consistently win games and go to the playoffs when the rest of the roster is average, which has been the case since the days of LT and prime Gates. He never turned into that guy. Sure, he's always been able to put up numbers with the best of them, but when the game really counts is when he's been at his worst the last few years.

And now he's old, even slower than before, and scarred by years of bad supporting casts with the poor habits he developed as proof. The rest of the roster actually isn't even half bad anymore. There aren't many holes on offense, even the line has held up well so far this season, and the defense has been holding their own for the most part behind one of the best pass rushes in the league. But if keeps missing wide open receivers, throwing the ball to the wrong team (especially late in games), and yelling at everyone but himself for these mistakes, none of that matters.

So I'm all aboard the Darnold/Rosen Express now, and buying low on Chargers stock this year. They may be terrible the rest of the season, could even push the Browns for worst record, but get a young, franchise QB on this team and things will turn around pretty fast next year.

Agree. I LOVE Phil, I grew up watching him, and he's just an awesome guy to root for. But it's clear he's part of the problem. The last time I remember him actually leading a game winning/tying drive and coming through in the clutch was 3 years ago in KC.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

The biggest problem the chargers had over the last decade was terrible coaching and ownership.

Here were some of the other major problems:

- LT being consistently hurt for the playoffs
- Playoff Nate Kaeding
- Going up against Prime Tom Brady in the playoffs multiple years
- Marlon McCree making one of the worst defensive decisions ever in 2006, which let the Patriots come back and win. If he bats the ball down or just lays down, Chargers probably win it all that year.
- Special teams being absolutely terrible many years. Best offense and defense in 2010? No problem, special teams will make sure they miss the playoffs.
- Not being fortunate enough to play in gimme divisions like the AFC South and East. It was much easier, year in and year out for Brady and Manning to make the playoffs.

Rivers balled out in those years, even playing on a torn ACL in the playoffs. He's thrown the Chargers out of some games, sure, but he was far from the main reason the team hasn't won it all since he took over. He was consistently a top-10 QB in the league until 2010 when he led the league in rating by a lot. Now he's in the twilight of his career though, and probably not the guy to lead the Chargers to a title.

It's really hard to draft and develop elite quarterbacks. Just ask most teams in the league. The Chargers were very fortunate to have a top-10 QB for as long as they have, and they squandered the opportunity.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
rwongega wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
If the Chargers somehow luck into Darnold or Rosen (very real possibility now with their record and upcoming schedule) next year and dump Rivers and maybe even Lynn if he continues to make rookie mistakes, they'll rebound on AND off the field with the USC or UCLA fans they'll draw in. The talent is there on defense and with the offensive skill positions. Draft a QB in the 1st round + continue to build on defense with remaining picks, bring back a healthy 2017 1st rounder in Mike Williams + 2nd rounder in Forrest Lamp to boost the interior OL, and that team is ready to roll in 2018.

The one constant on all these failed Chargers teams the last decade is Rivers. Replace him with an young, athletic, mobile QB and the so-called curse will magically disappear...

That might be smart, which is what the Chargers won't do. Maybe they'll draft another WR #1 instead of filling holes in their lineup. Rivers is far and away not the problem of the team.

Unfortunately, I've watched almost every Chargers' game to some extent the last decade, being an SD native. I can say with confidence that people saying Rivers isn't the problem all these years IS actually the biggest problem. He's been good- even REALLY good in the old days - just not great. And it takes a great QB to consistently win games and go to the playoffs when the rest of the roster is average, which has been the case since the days of LT and prime Gates. He never turned into that guy. Sure, he's always been able to put up numbers with the best of them, but when the game really counts is when he's been at his worst the last few years.

And now he's old, even slower than before, and scarred by years of bad supporting casts with the poor habits he developed as proof. The rest of the roster actually isn't even half bad anymore. There aren't many holes on offense, even the line has held up well so far this season, and the defense has been holding their own for the most part behind one of the best pass rushes in the league. But if keeps missing wide open receivers, throwing the ball to the wrong team (especially late in games), and yelling at everyone but himself for these mistakes, none of that matters.

So I'm all aboard the Darnold/Rosen Express now, and buying low on Chargers stock this year. They may be terrible the rest of the season, could even push the Browns for worst record, but get a young, franchise QB on this team and things will turn around pretty fast next year.

Agree. I LOVE Phil, I grew up watching him, and he's just an awesome guy to root for. But it's clear he's part of the problem. The last time I remember him actually leading a game winning/tying drive and coming through in the clutch was 3 years ago in KC.

It's sad that they've been as bad as they have within the division the past few seasons, even after Peyton lost his grip. The Chiefs especially have owned and embarrassed them, and they haven't been able to do (bleep) about it. I miss the days when LT ran roughshod over all of them, with the poor, hapless Raiders being his favorite target. It's just been a rough fall from those glory days of dominating the AFC West, and Phil has played a big role in a lot of those losses (remember 24-3 @ halftime in Denver on MNF ).
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
The biggest problem the chargers had over the last decade was terrible coaching and ownership.

- Playoff Nate Kaeding
- Marlon McCree making one of the worst defensive decisions ever in 2006, which let the Patriots come back and win. If he bats the ball down or just lays down, Chargers probably win it all that year.
- Special teams being absolutely terrible many years. Best offense and defense in 2010? No problem, special teams will make sure they miss the playoffs.
- Not being fortunate enough to play in gimme divisions like the AFC South and East. It was much easier, year in and year out for Brady and Manning to make the playoffs.

Rivers balled out in those years, even playing on a torn ACL in the playoffs. He's thrown the Chargers out of some games, sure, but he was far from the main reason the team hasn't won it all since he took over. He was consistently a top-10 QB in the league until 2010 when he led the league in rating by a lot. Now he's in the twilight of his career though, and probably not the guy to lead the Chargers to a title.

It's really hard to draft and develop elite quarterbacks. Just ask most teams in the league. The Chargers were very fortunate to have a top-10 QB for as long as they have, and they squandered the opportunity.

Hey, I agree that he was pretty damn good until 2010 like you mentioned and they squandered several opportunities to win it all with him, LT, and Gates around that time. Ever since then, though, it's been up and down for him with tons of interceptions being thrown around and not many winning seasons under his belt (I'd bet that he'd be #1 or at best #2 in that category since that year). Ownership and injuries have definitely played a role. He had to play with no-name receivers and crappy offensive lines for years, but all that has taken a toll and he's declined severely now as a result. Dude just can't hold up for a full season anymore, and I don't necessarily mean physically. Him, Palmer, Eli - they're all done being QBs that can lead a team to the playoffs.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

- Playoff Nate Kaeding

Hey, I agree that he was pretty damn good until 2010 like you mentioned and they squandered several opportunities to win it all with him, LT, and Gates around that time. Ever since then, though, it's been up and down for him with tons of interceptions being thrown around and not many winning seasons under his belt (I'd bet that he'd be #1 or at best #2 in that category since that year). Ownership and injuries have definitely played a role. He had to play with no-name receivers and crappy offensive lines for years, but all that has taken a toll and he's declined severely now as a result. Dude just can't hold up for a full season anymore, and I don't necessarily mean physically. Him, Palmer, Eli - they're all done being QBs that can lead a team to the playoffs.

I agree with that assessment. I think you can add Big Ben to that list too. That draft class is just about done.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject:

It all went downhill for the Chargers when Marty Schottenheimer was fired after a 14-2 season. Yeah he lost in the playoffs, but his team lost to the Patriots. I thought it was unlucky of them to get the #1 seed after having the best record in the entire league, and open up at home against Tom Brady and Bill Belichick after New England had a 12-4 season.

The top 4 teams in the NFL that year were all in the AFC in my opinion (I don't buy that the Bears Super Bowl team with Rex Grossman at quarterback was better than any of those teams; they were NFL champions because the conference was weak). That was a big unlucky break for all the AFC teams except the Colts (because they benefitted from New England knocking out San Diego).

Then the Chargers hired Norv Turner which didn't make much sense to me. They fired a guy that kept losing in the playoffs and then replaced him with a guy that kept losing in the regular season. I saw LT talk about this. He thought it was a huge mistake to make a major change at the coaching position when the team was so close to winning it all.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject:

I thought the AFC West was really weak for a few years. When Peyton went to Denver and KC got a lot tougher, then things changed. But before that even Tebow was leading a team to a division title with an 8-8 record. The Chargers were division champs in 2008 with an 8-8 record and got a home playoff game out of that. The Raiders never had a winning season, were usually awful and performed terribly against the Chargers. Denver was still struggling to replace Elway (much like Miami still can't find a qb after Marino retired nearly 20 years ago). Kansas City almost never has a great team.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Giant lose a tough one. Got beat by a 61 yard field goal from rookie kicker Aldrick Rosas

The Giants didn't lose a tough one.

The Lions lost a tough one. They legitimately won the game on a TD call that should never have been overturned. Now if they had called him short on the call on the field and not reversed that call on review because they was insufficient evidence, that would be one thing. But to overturn the call on that video evidence was ridiculous.

Tate's knee was clearly down and the ball was short of the goal line. But I think it's so incredibly unfair to invoke a 10-second runoff there. Had they ruled him short on the field, it's 4th-and-goal with a foot to go, and they probably could have at least lined up in time to snap the ball again, and at that point, they could just QB sneak, at the very least, and Stafford is a big dude.

Jim Caldwell even said post-game that they got the call correct, basically saying that it was an unfortunate situation for his team but that the officials applied the rule correctly.

I don't think it was clear enough to overturn the call on the field. As I said, had they called it not a TD and upheld the call, that's one thing.

If you're going to determine a game's outcome based on overturning a ruling on the field, it has to be way more definitive than what existed in this case.

Personally, I wish we would go back to the old days where there was no review. At least then when they got it wrong it was simply a matter of saying, "ok, they screwed up. Things happen". But when the system exists to supposedly get it right and it fails by going against it's own directives and they still get it wrong? That's just unacceptable, even when you have no investment in the outcome. And that's what happened on that call. There was not enough to overturn the call - even on the best angle.

I love ya DMR, but he's clearly short and this shows it perfectly...

https://twitter.com/Wes_nship/status/912050839778463750/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2Flions-somehow-manage-to-lose-after-officials-call-the-apparent-winning-td%2F

You can't see his knee in that shot.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

Tate was pretty obviously down on that play but here's what I don't understand, maybe someone can clarify.

Because the refs made the wrong call on the field, or, as they do now, just call it a touchdown to force the review, the Lions also lost 8 seconds? Thats what doesn't seem fair.

The Lions should not have been penalized further by the refs inability to make the right call.

And no, we should not go back, video reviews are great and actually add to the intensity of the game and I'm pretty sure correctness of calls has gone up (not the actual on-field call, but the final call)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Tate was pretty obviously down on that play but here's what I don't understand, maybe someone can clarify.

Because the refs made the wrong call on the field, or, as they do now, just call it a touchdown to force the review, the Lions also lost 8 seconds? Thats what doesn't seem fair.

The Lions should not have been penalized further by the refs inability to make the right call.

And no, we should not go back, video reviews are great and actually add to the intensity of the game and I'm pretty sure correctness of calls has gone up (not the actual on-field call, but the final call)

The rule is basically that there is a 10-second runoff on any play that gets changed on replay where the player is ruled to have been tackled inbounds, as long as there are under 2 minutes left. There were 8 seconds left when Tate was ruled down. Therefore, by rule, those 8 seconds have to get runoff. The only exception to this is that if a team has a timeout, they are able to use that timeout to stop the clock. Otherwise, it's an automatic 10-second runoff.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Bad news for Chargers....looks like every home game is an away game....no wonder the tickets at Stubhub haven't been dropping in price. All the visiting teams fans are snapping them up.
https://sports.yahoo.com/another-rough-day-l-chargers-142907866.html

I also find it funny since the NFL created this situation. When the NFL abandoned the LA market for 20+ years, we didn't all stop watching football...they just embraced another team in another city. They aren't suddenly going to abandon their allegiances just because another team moved to LA.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
It all went downhill for the Chargers when Marty Schottenheimer was fired after a 14-2 season. Yeah he lost in the playoffs, but his team lost to the Patriots. I thought it was unlucky of them to get the #1 seed after having the best record in the entire league, and open up at home against Tom Brady and Bill Belichick after New England had a 12-4 season.

The top 4 teams in the NFL that year were all in the AFC in my opinion (I don't buy that the Bears Super Bowl team with Rex Grossman at quarterback was better than any of those teams; they were NFL champions because the conference was weak). That was a big unlucky break for all the AFC teams except the Colts (because they benefitted from New England knocking out San Diego).

Then the Chargers hired Norv Turner which didn't make much sense to me. They fired a guy that kept losing in the playoffs and then replaced him with a guy that kept losing in the regular season. I saw LT talk about this. He thought it was a huge mistake to make a major change at the coaching position when the team was so close to winning it all.

The Bears had the best defense that year. They took out the Seahawks (who won the NFC a year earlier) and the Saints with Drew Brees at QB.

And yes it was one of the few times I was glad the Pats won a playoff game I knew we could beat them at home that year.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

The rule is basically that there is a 10-second runoff on any play that gets changed on replay where the player is ruled to have been tackled inbounds, as long as there are under 2 minutes left. There were 8 seconds left when Tate was ruled down. Therefore, by rule, those 8 seconds have to get runoff. The only exception to this is that if a team has a timeout, they are able to use that timeout to stop the clock. Otherwise, it's an automatic 10-second runoff.

Hmm. I guess where it gets dicey is that refs are incentivized to call any bang/bang play near the goal line as a TD since they can rely on review to get the call right.

Maybe they should have let the runoff occur and then give the Lions one untimed down? I dunno. It felt like they got screwed because the refs got the call on the fiels wrong. Had they got it right, they could have rushed up to snap one more play.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/25/patriots-apologize-for-charging-fans-for-tap-water/

Quote:
Patriots apologize for charging fans for tap water

It was on Sunday in New England and elsewhere. The heat at Gillette Stadium resulted in a run on bottled water.

After the bottled water was gone, tap water was provided. The only problem? Stadium workers charged $4.50 or $5 per cup.

“We apologize,” Patriots spokesman Stacey James said in a statement issued to reporters on Monday. “That should not have happened. It is the first time that I have ever heard that complaint here. We are looking into the matter to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.”

It would be impossible to issue refunds, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if the organization finds a way to estimate the revenue generated by tap water sales and makes a corresponding donation to charity, or some similar gesture.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:

The Cowboys defense is making Palmer look like he's in his prime
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Weird seeing so many good offenses strugggle all in one week.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/30827/your-typical-bromance-the-matthew-stafford-matt-ryan-friendship

Quote:
'Your typical bromance': The Matthew Stafford-Matt Ryan friendship
play

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- They almost never met. So Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford can thank four other NFL quarterbacks for getting their friendship started.

The Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions starting quarterbacks were not initial picks to the 2015 Pro Bowl. When Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady pulled out, Stafford and Ryan earned selections. They became teammates and, within a week, friends.

Before the Pro Bowl, they would say "Hey" to each other after games, but that was it. The Pro Bowl gave them a week to learn they had mutual interests in golf and good food. That they lived close to each other in Atlanta during the offseason. Ryan's wife, Sarah, and Stafford's soon-to-be-bride, Kelly, got along, too.

They started hanging out in Georgia, and "your typical bromance" -- as Stafford's brother-in-law and mutual friend Chad Hall described it -- began.

"To be honest, it has grown quicker than any relationship I've seen," said Tyler Heyman, another mutual friend.

Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford have turned a chance Pro Bowl meeting into a pretty devoted friendship. Courtesy Tyler Heyman
Months after the Pro Bowl, Matt and Sarah Ryan were guests at Matthew and Kelly Stafford's wedding. The couples vacationed together and became frequent companions in Georgia. The Ryans fit in with Stafford's crowd easily -- a group accustomed to treating Stafford as just another friend instead of a highly paid NFL quarterback.

It made sense. Ryan and Stafford shared a profession and a competitive personality. Their relationship has given two men playing one of the highest-pressure positions in pro sports an outlet with each other. They can relax together and, if need be, lean on one another. So can their wives, able to share the ups and downs of being married to the face of an NFL franchise.

They can ask questions and seek out advice, as Stafford did with Ryan when he contemplated seeing a quarterback guru for the first time.

"It's really significant, and there's a guy who's literally been in your shoes," Atlanta coach Dan Quinn said. "And for Matt Ryan, who's done it a little longer than Matt, he could ask, 'Has this situation ever come up?' 'You know, it has.' So you don't have to be a lot older to be a really good mentor, and I think teammates can be great mentors to another.

ADVERTISEMENT

"And I'm not saying Matt Ryan is Matt Stafford's mentor, but I'm just saying there is a partnership at the same position, and it's even true for guys like myself who are in a head-coaching position -- that I have some people that I lean on and can ask questions to that might not be on our own team. So I totally recognize that and I think it's cool that they have a good friendship going."

Stafford didn't divulge much about the friendship -- saying there were more important things at this point -- but did say, "it's kind of nice to have somebody in the league that you can talk ball with in the offseason, all that kind of stuff."

Some of that comes on the golf course. Outings became common, including one to the Frederica Golf Club on St. Simons Island in Georgia. Both Ryan and Stafford can play.

Considering their competitiveness, there needs to be something to keep it interesting, not unlike millions of other golfers around the world.

"There's no 'just let's go to see our best score.' There's some sort of competition," Hall said. "I'm the same way. It's hard to go play golf with just going to play. There's got to be something on the line.

"Matt Ryan, he's the first one to come up with the game. He's probably the head of it, but then everyone gets involved. There's something involved."

It's the same competitiveness that's displayed on football Sundays -- including this week, when friends become temporary enemies as the Lions and Falcons meet, a pair of 2-0 teams looking to establish early division leads in the NFC.

But they've been teammates, too. About a year into the friendship, Kelly and Matthew Stafford invited Matt and Sarah Ryan to join their church league basketball team. The team, comprised mostly of Hall family members and friends, is the only co-ed team in an all-male league. Yet they've won two consecutive championships.

Adding the Ryans meant more athletes and competitiveness, since Sarah played point guard at Boston College and Matt was on a high school team with future NBA players Sean Singletary and Rob Kurz. Ryan and Stafford played the wings with Hall serving as the drive-and-dish point guard. It was more deferring than the two quarterbacks were used to, but they won the majority of their games -- typically followed by celebratory dinners at Mellow Mushroom. If they lost, the postgame team meal was no guarantee. They didn't lose often. The quarterbacks wouldn't allow it.

Basketball scouting report
This is a combined scouting report from talking with Chad Hall and Tyler Heyman, two of the NFL quarterbacks' church league basketball teammates:

Matthew Stafford
Plays the wing. Depending on who you ask, can handle the ball pretty well. Good 3-point shooter. Good screener. "That's one of his favorite things to do, to set a nice screen," Heyman said. Hall said Stafford is a better passer than Ryan. Hall said the biggest weakness for Stafford and Ryan are "their dribble moves," particularly in one-on-one settings. It's why Hall plays point guard.

Matt Ryan
Great shooter. Great awareness. Can tell he played in high school with a high basketball IQ. "More of a finesse guy, the fundamental guy who can shoot," Hall said. That said, Ryan can drive to the rim to finish. Big hustle player -- he has no problem diving on the ground and getting into scrums for loose balls if necessary. Ryan played on an insanely talented basketball team that included future NBA players Rob Kurz and Sean Singletary and Duke lacrosse All-American defender Tony McDevitt. Ryan, not surprisingly, was captain (and also captained the football and baseball teams, too).

-- Michael Rothstein
"At first, obviously with anybody, when we're warming up, there's some guys looking and pointing," Hall said. "Even the guys on the other team, even at the start, they kind of probably looked at them and said, 'We'll see how they play.' Second time down the court, they are like, 'Oh, these guys aren't messing around. Let's go.'

"Then it was no taking it easy on anybody. They weren't taking it easy on them. Obviously, Matthew and Matt -- we weren't taking it easy by any means. We got right into it."

This meant Stafford enjoying setting hard screens. Hall said Ryan dove in a scrum for a loose ball in his first game. That endeared him to the rest of the team. The only deference Ryan and Stafford showed was a preference to pass instead of taking over games with their scoring. Unless it was close late, that is. Then competitiveness took over.

"Matthew has definitely had a -- he had a big fourth quarter, it might have been the championship or semifinal game that was basically the championship game," Heyman said. "We were playing the best team. He had a moment of takeover, where he had 12 or 14 straight points.

"But Matt Ryan also had a couple streaks where he was hitting 6-for-6, 7-for-7, and he can hit the long ball. They both can."

It’s all part of a friendship between two couples who became close through mutual interests. After Kelly had twins, Sarah came to Michigan to visit. They've offered advice to one another. And that's really no different from any other friendship.

The Ryans and Staffords just happen to be in the public eye.

"I just gained a good friend. That's probably the biggest thing," Matt Ryan said. "He's a great guy and, really, we've got a lot of similar interests, a lot of things we like to do away from the field. So, honestly, he's just a good person. They're a really good family."
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Why don't the NFL players/teams that want to kneel, kneel but wear military flags on their backs (they have them for the navy, marines, air force, etc.)? Not a perfect idea, but you could at least show that you're not against the military.

Last edited by leor_77 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Somewhere, Clayton Kershaw is jeelllyyyy.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject:

How can they call that a TD on the field?

They are just calling everything a TD now for the replay. Amazing effort by Dez tho
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/25/patriots-apologize-for-charging-fans-for-tap-water/

Quote:

It was on Sunday in New England and elsewhere. The heat at Gillette Stadium resulted in a run on bottled water.

After the bottled water was gone, tap water was provided. The only problem? Stadium workers charged $4.50 or $5 per cup.

“We apologize,” Patriots spokesman Stacey James said in a statement issued to reporters on Monday. “That should not have happened. It is the first time that I have ever heard that complaint here. We are looking into the matter to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.”

It would be impossible to issue refunds, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if the organization finds a way to estimate the revenue generated by tap water sales and makes a corresponding donation to charity, or some similar gesture.

Watergate II.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Watergate II.

Or, Inflategate?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Why don't the NFL players/teams that want to kneel, kneel but wear military flags on their backs (they have them for the navy, marines, air force, etc.)? Not a perfect idea, but you could at least show that you're not against the military.

That discussion belongs in The Political Thread. I will pose a question to you, though: Why does standing or kneeling during the national anthem have anything at all to do with the military?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

That discussion belongs in The Political Thread. I will pose a question to you, though: Why does standing or kneeling during the national anthem have anything at all to do with the military?

Or rather, with anything at all?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Page 38 of 115
Jump to: