Charles Oakley shoves security guard at Knicks game gets thrown out the building.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/15/draymond-green-jim-dolans-treatment-of-charles-oakley-rooted-in-slave-master-mentality/

Quote:
Draymond Green: Jim Dolan’s treatment of Charles Oakley rooted in ‘slavemaster mentality’

Draymond Green pointed to the racist undertones of the fan-player dynamic when discussing an Oklahoma City heckler.

Now, the Warriors forward is pointing out the racist undertones of the owner-player dynamic. His example: James Dolan-Charles Oakley.

Oakley played several years for the Knicks while the Dolan family owned the team. Oakley was an enforcer who brought immense physicality to the game — helping New York win. Eventually, the Knicks traded him, his contract expired, and he moved on into retirement.

Since, Oakley has publicly criticized Dolan, leading up to Oakley’s violent ejection from Madison Square Garden last week. Dolan and the Knicks responded with a series of statements Oakley said hurt him deeply.

Green, via Marcus Thompson II of The Mercury News:

“You doing it for me, It’s all good,” Green said. “You doing it against me … you speaking out against my organization, it’s not good anymore? That’s a slave mentality. A slave master mentality. That’s ridiculous. It was all fine and dandy when he was laying people out, taking fines and all this stuff for your organization. But now all of a sudden when he says something that he feels, it’s a problem.”

This is not calling Dolan racist.

This is a comment within a reality: Nearly all NBA owners are white, and most NBA players are black.

Of course players are highly paid. Nobody is comparing their wages to slaves’. It’s Dolan’s mentality that Green is exploring.

Oakley stopped working for the Knicks nearly two decades ago. But Dolan still attempts to control Oakley through vindictive statements. In Oakley’s telling, Dolan went even further by having Oakley ejected for no just reason. (Dolan said Oakley was belligerent, causing the ejection.) Either way, there appears to be no real compassion for someone whose forcefulness helped make Dolan money. The Knicks got what they could from Oakley, and now that’s he’s not spouting the company line, they disparage him

Dolan doesn’t have to like Oakley’s criticism of him. But at a certain point, Dolan should also realizes how his harsh jabs at a former former employee — who excelled at the job — fit into the greater context.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Charles Oakley is lowering his demands of James Dolan

LINK

Oakley won’t accept end of MSG ban until Dolan shamed publicly

LINK

Something I didn't know

Quote:
Dolan on Friday confirmed Oakley was banned from the Garden in what he claimed was “not necessarily a lifetime ban.” Dolan, a recovering addict, also suggested Oakley has a drinking problem and anger issues.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject:

In a related story, Knicks season ticket holders inquiring about how they too can get banned.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/04/09/charles-oakley-set-for-day-in-court-in-wake-of-msg-arrest/

Quote:
Charles Oakley set for day in court in wake of MSG arrest

Charles Oakley has been a beloved forward and a banned fan at Madison Square Garden.

But before Oakley, the former NBA enforcer and rebounding machine with the New York Knicks, can reconcile with his former team and return to the arena, he’s trying to beat the rap stemming from the altercation that led to his ejection and arrest in February at the Garden.

Oakley told The Associated Press he had no regrets over his behavior that night that led him getting handcuffed near an arena exit as he waited for police to arrive.

“I would have done everything just the same way,” Oakley said by phone. “I didn’t do nothing. I was only in the arena five minutes. I didn’t know you could get in that much trouble in five minutes. I’d take my chances and do the same thing again.”

Oakley was charged with three counts of misdemeanor assault and one count of criminal trespass. He is accused of striking one security guard in the face with a closed fist, and when two other people tried to intervene, both were pushed and received cuts.

He is due in court Tuesday.

Oakley was set to travel to Chicago and attend Sunday’s service for former Bulls executive Jerry Krause and return to New York on Monday.

The 53-year-old Oakley played for the Knicks from 1988-98, helping them reach the NBA Finals, but has a splintered relationship with the team because of his criticism of owner James Dolan.

Dolan lifted Oakley’s ban from MSG shortly after meeting with Oakley and NBA commissioner Adam Silver. Oakley, known as candid, unfiltered and Michael Jordan’s de facto bodyguard, said nothing was really settled in the meeting.

So the looming question remains: What will it take to get Oakley back at MSG for a Knicks game?

“That’s the million dollar question. I don’t know,” Oakley said. “Right now, we’re trying to get closure. Why was there a ban? Why do I have three assault cases? I want to get all that settled. That’s the most important thing right now. It’s not about the ban or going to the Garden. It’s about going to the next step.”

Oakley said he was still unsure why the fracas went down at MSG. Oakley maintains he did nothing wrong before arena security approached him just a few rows behind Dolan. Oakley was no longer comped tickets or invited to official team functions, though he attended a few times a year when he bought his own tickets. He was there only a matter of minutes before the altercation that included him hitting one security guard in the face and shoving at least one other before he was dragged away and handcuffed.

“I hope we can come to an understanding, and get to the point of, `why?”‘ Oakley said.

Dolan later suggested on ESPN New York that the former player “has a problem with anger. He’s both physically and verbally abusive. He may have a problem with alcohol. We don’t know.”

Oakley denied having anger or substance abuse issues.

“I’ve shown none of that stuff he’s talked about,” he said. “There’s nothing that can tell him I have any of the things that he’s talking about in my life. He’s said this three or four times to different people. It’s his way of trying to throw people under the bus .”

NBA stars and fans publicly supported the former tough guy enforcer, who instigated a few feuds and flagrant fouls in his prime. Knicks fans chanted “Free Charles Oakley!” Cavaliers star LeBron James quipped, “Charles Oakley for president.”

“Nobody had to go to bat for me. You think of all the people who went to bat for me, they know I’m a true gentleman guy at all times,” he said.

Oakley would rather stir the pot in the kitchen; his cooking has earned him a spot on Food Network’s “Chopped Tournament of Stars” and he said there are plans to soon release his own cookbook .

His specialty includes a sea bass with pineapple, asparagus, mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts.

“I just want to get in the kitchen and do your favorite meal,” he said.

Oakley also wants to launch a clothing line next year, though he’s concerned his brush with notoriety could shut some doors in corporate America.

“It’s definitely going to punish me with some of the things I’ll probably try and do in the future,” Oakley said. “Some people don’t believe in luggage. They don’t like when there are things about you that are out there.”

Oakley has refused to keep a low profile since the MSG dustup. He mixed it up with another former bad boy, Dennis Rodman , over issues of rest; expressed his disappointment that former teammate Patrick Ewing failed to come to his defense (On Georgetown’s new coach: “Good luck to him. We’ll see how the ball bounces”) and signed on for a role as player/coach in the debut of the BIG 3 3-on-3 league backed by rapper Ice Cube.

He believed the same hard-nosed approached that served him well over a 19-year playing career, which included two stints with the Chicago Bulls, will serve him well in court.

“I’m not nervous. I believe in myself,” he said. “They said this, they said that. But 20,000 people were at the game. Millions of people saw what happened. There’s no reason for me to be nervous. If I’m wrong, I’ll take my punishment.”
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/04/11/knicks-favorite-charles-oakley-arraigned-on-assault-charge/

Quote:
Knicks favorite Charles Oakley arraigned on assault charge

NEW YORK (AP) — New York Knicks favorite Charles Oakley has made his first court appearance since his arrest and ejection in February at Madison Square Garden.

Oakley was arraigned Tuesday in criminal court in Manhattan on misdemeanor assault and other charges before being released without bail.

Prosecutors have accused the 53-year-old Oakley of striking a security guard in the fracas. They say two other people who intervened were pushed and received cuts.

Oakley says he’ll fight the charges. He told The Associated Press in an interview this week that he didn’t do anything wrong.

Oakley played for the Knicks from 1988 to 1998.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/06/02/former-knicks-player-charles-oakley-rejects-conditional-dismissal-chooses-trial/

Quote:
Former Knicks player Charles Oakley rejects conditional dismissal, chooses trial

NEW YORK (AP) — Former New York Knicks player Charles Oakley has chosen to go to trial in August on charges he struck a security guard at Madison Square Garden.

Oakley appeared briefly before a Manhattan judge on Friday. He rejected a conditional dismissal that would have left him with a clean record after six months of good behavior.

Oakley became a fan favorite when he played for the Knicks from 1988 to 1998. But he’s had a falling out with the organization in recent years.

On Feb. 8, he sat a few rows from Knicks owner James Dolan at a game against the Los Angeles Clippers. Security approached Oakley early in the game and a fracas ensued. Oakley was removed from the building and handcuffed.

Oakley says he didn’t do anything wrong.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/04/charles-oakley-accepts-plea-deal

Quote:
NBA
Charles Oakley Banned From Madison Square Garden for One Year After Plea Deal

Charles Oakley Accepts Deal to Dismiss Charges Stemming from Knicks Game

New York Knicks great Charles Oakley accepted a plea deal Friday in a case stemming from his February dustup with Madison Square Garden security.

The deal stipulates that Oakley's two assault charges, two harassment charges and one trespassing charge will be dropped if Oakley avoids trouble for six months and stays away from Madison Square Garden for a year. Oakley previously rejected the same plea deal, according to Newday.

Oakley was arrested and charged after he got into a scuffle with arena security during New York's Feb. 8 game against the Clippers. Knicks owner James Dolan proceeded to ban Oakley from the arena, though the ban was lifted shortly after following an intervention from Michael Jordan and NBA commissioner Adam Silver.

Oakley's attorney said the former player "will be pursuing all civil remedies against Mr. Dolan based on this incident," according to ESPN.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/07/charles-oakley-roasts-knicks/

Quote:
Charles Oakley roasts Knicks

Charles Oakley reached a plea deal that clears his criminal charges with six months of good behavior and requires him to stay out of Madison Square Garden for a year.

Oakley:

Follow
Charles Oakley ✔ @CharlesOakley34
I want to thank all my fans around world .The case is over now that was the hard part. The easy part is stayin away from the garden. OAK
1:25 PM - Aug 6, 2017
170 170 Replies 649 649 Retweets 2,455 2,455 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Time heals all wounds, but there clearly still hasn’t been enough time on this one.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20676111/charles-oakley-file-civil-suit-incident-madison-square-garden

Quote:
Sources: Charles Oakley to file civil suit stemming from MSG incident

Former New York Knicks great Charles Oakley is preparing to file a civil suit in response to a February run-in with security at Madison Square Garden and the incident's aftermath, sources familiar with the matter told ESPN.

Oakley's civil suit is expected to be filed shortly, per sources.

Oakley hinted at the possibility of taking civil action against Dolan when he accepted a deal to have charges stemming from the incident dismissed. It is unclear if the civil suit will specifically target James Dolan, the owner of Madison Square Garden and the Knicks, or the larger entity of Madison Square Garden.

Oakley's attorney, Alex Spiro, said last month that Oakley would pursue "all civil remedies" based on the incident. Spiro has stated in the past that for Oakley, the issues stemming from the incident at Madison Square Garden and its fallout have always been a matter of principle. Spiro and Oakley's other lawyers declined comment for this story.

Charles Oakley is preparing to file a civil suit in response to his run-in with Madison Square Garden security., according to sources. Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images
Oakley was arrested after a run-in with MSG security on Feb. 8 and charged with two misdemeanor counts of assault, one misdemeanor count of aggravated harassment and one misdemeanor count of trespassing. He was also cited for two additional counts of harassment that are considered noncriminal violations.

Cameras on the night of the incident showed Oakley hitting Madison Square Garden security members as they attempted to remove him from his seat. Oakley was physically removed from his seat by the arena's security staff.

Shortly after the incident, Dolan suggested that Oakley had an alcohol problem and anger management issues. Dolan was criticized by many current and former players for making those claims. Oakley has denied that he has a drinking problem and denied any wrongdoing at Madison Square Garden. He has said that he felt targeted by security.

The Garden released witness statements from a dozen employees who encountered Oakley that night and alleged that he was physically and verbally abusive.

Dolan initially banned Oakley from Madison Square Garden after the incident but lifted the ban days later.

Oakley, who played for the Knicks from 1988 to 1998 and helped them reach the NBA Finals, had a poor relationship with the team and Dolan before February thanks in part to his criticisms of the organization and its owner.

Oakley last month accepted a deal -- an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal -- that will lead to the criminal charges being dropped if he stays out of trouble for six months and complies with a condition that prohibits Oakley from trespassing at Madison Square Garden for one year.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Wow has it been almost a year?!

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/02/02/former-knicks-star-charles-oakley-cleared-of-assault-charges-in-garden-incident/

Quote:
Former Knicks star Charles Oakley cleared of assault charges in Garden incident

NEW YORK (AP) — Former New York Knicks star Charles Oakley has officially been cleared of misdemeanor assault charges stemming from a scuffle with Madison Square Garden security guards last year.

The New York Post reports that a Manhattan judge dismissed the charges Friday. Oakley and prosecutors had agreed to a deal last August that the charges would be erased if Oakley stayed out of trouble for six months.

Oakley’s lawyer, Alex Spiro, says Oakley has been “completely vindicated.”

Oakley played for the Knicks from 1988 to 1998. But he’s had a rocky relationship with the team in recent years.

The onetime star was accused of striking a security guard during a game on Feb. 8, 2017.

Oakley has filed a lawsuit against Knicks owner James Dolan alleging that he was the one assaulted.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22358377/a-year-incident-charles-oakley-wants-hold-james-dolan-msg-accountable-nba

Quote:
A year after incident, Oakley still wants Dolan, MSG held 'accountable'

New York Knicks great Charles Oakley stood in handcuffs in the bowels of Madison Square Garden, surrounded by more than a dozen security guards and police officers. He'd been dragged out of his seat by arena security minutes earlier.

And he was furious.

"Dolan did this! Dolan did this!" Oakley yelled in anguish, referencing Knicks owner James Dolan." "This is bulls---! Let me go! Let me go!"

Oakley criminal case officially dismissed, sealed
The criminal case stemming from Charles Oakley's run-in with Madison Square Garden security last February has been dismissed and sealed.

Charles Oakley is helping charities raise money for summer hoops camps
The league legend is heavily involved in Cleveland and Charlotte, but he's not sure when he'll go back to the Garden.

A year later, Oakley's anger over how things played out during his arrest at Madison Square Garden remains acute.

"He's angry about what happened to him and the way he was treated," Oakley's attorney, Douglas Wigdor, said. "He was treated like a common criminal rather than a former star of the New York Knicks. ... He wants to hold Mr. Dolan and Madison Square Garden accountable for what they did."

Oakley is still looking for his day in court against Dolan and Madison Square Garden. His civil suit against both parties hasn't yet been presented to a jury and Oakley's lawyers plan to file an amended complaint this week. Attorneys for Dolan and MSG will likely file a motion to dismiss the suit at some point in the coming weeks.

"This suit has no merit," a spokesperson for Dolan said.

ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. District Judge Richard J. Sullivan at some point will decide whether all or part the suit should be heard in front of a jury. At a pre-motion conference last month, Sullivan said Oakley faced an "uphill climb" to prove the defamation claims in his suit.

Legal experts agree.

"As a public figure, in any defamation action, he not only is going to have to prove that the statements made about were false, he's also going to have to prove that when they were spoken, they were spoken with knowledge that they were false. It's difficult," said Benjamin Zipursky, a professor at Fordham University School of Law and an expert in tort and defamation law.

Wigdor remains confident he can prove Dolan and Madison Square Garden made defamatory statements in the days following Oakley's run-in with security. The Knicks' public relations account released a statement on the night of the incident that said Oakley, who played for the Knicks from 1988 to 1998 and helped the franchise reach the 1994 NBA Finals, was "abusive" and added "we hope he gets some help soon." In an interview on ESPN Radio two days after the incident, Dolan said, "To me, Charles has got a problem. We've said it before; he's his own worst problem. People have to understand that. He has a problem with anger. He's both physically and verbally abusive. He may have a problem with alcohol." This is one of subjects Oakley's legal team plans to attack in court.

"There's no basis to make that conclusion," Wigdor said. "I don't believe that he had a good-faith basis to make those remarks. He was looking to impugn Mr. Oakley's reputation."

Charles Oakley continues to pursue a civil suit against James Dolan and Madison Square Garden. Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
Oakley, who has had a poor relationship with the team and Dolan in recent years due in part to his criticisms of the organization and its owner, was not made available for comment for this story. Madison Square Garden lawyers also were not made available for comment, but according to the statement, the Garden strongly believes the suit will be tossed out.

Zipursky acknowledged the possibility of the suit being dismissed before a jury trial, but notes that there are some avenues worth pursuing.

"The law has developed in such a way that sometimes a public figure like Oakley could prevail by proving that they were spoken with recklessness as to whether they were true or false," Zipursky said. "If it's determined that Dolan and MSG leapt to that inference [that Oakley may have a drinking problem] and say it publicly, I think there's a decent argument that that is spoken with reckless indifference as to whether he is an alcoholic."

Zipursky also notes that because Oakley's suit includes "defamation per se," the ex-Knicks great may not need to show that the claims made by MSG and Dolan caused him economic harm. That may turn out to be an important factor, but Wigdor said that his legal team plans to show that Oakley indeed suffered economic harm in its amended complaint.

In addition to defamation, libel and slander causes of action, Oakley's suit also claims assault, battery and false imprisonment. It additionally states that defendants violated the Americans with Disabilities Act and the New York State and New York City Human Rights Laws by denying Oakley access to Madison Square Garden based on their perception that he suffers from alcoholism.

Zipursky believes the battery, assault and false imprisonment claims will be difficult to prove because the police and public prosecutor sought criminal charges against Oakley in the aftermath of the incident. (Those charges were dismissed last week.)

"I don't think it's likely that the security at MSG is going to be found to have had no reasonable basis for what they did," he says.

Another crucial element to the case, as far as Oakley's lawyers are concerned, is the visual evidence. There are several different videos taken by fans that show the incident in its entirety.

Those videos will likely be shown to jurors if the case is allowed to proceed. Sullivan will decide in the coming weeks which claims in Oakley's suit -- if any at all -- will eventually be decided by a jury.

In the meantime, Oakley will remain patient and dogged in his pursuit of Dolan and Madison Square Garden.

"He's committed to seeing this through," Wigdor said.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28737579/charles-oakley-civil-lawsuit-following-msg-run-dismissed

Quote:
Charles Oakley's civil lawsuit following MSG run-in dismissed
play

A lawsuit filed by Charles Oakley against New York Knicks owner James Dolan and Madison Square Garden has been dismissed by a federal judge.

Oakley filed the lawsuit in 2017, after a February incident that year in which he had a run-in with security personnel at the Garden. He had alleged assault, battery and false imprisonment, along with defamation after Dolan and the Knicks implied he had a problem with alcohol.

He had been seeking compensation to be determined by a jury for emotional distress and/or mental anguish, punitive damages, damages to Oakley's reputation, and reasonable attorneys' fees and costs.

"This case has had the feel of a public relations campaign," U.S. Circuit Judge Richard J. Sullivan wrote in his decision to dismiss, "with the parties seemingly more interested in the court of public opinion than the merits of their legal arguments."

Oakley's attorney, Douglas Wigdor, said they were disappointed by the ruling but that Oakley "is not one to give up."

"It's just the beginning of the fourth quarter, and we are confident that we can turn this around with an appeal that we plan to file in the coming days," Wigdor said in a statement.

Madison Square Garden released a statement thanking the court for its decision.

"This was an incident that no one was happy about," the statement said. "Maybe now there can be peace between us."

Oakley was sitting near Dolan at a game on Feb. 8, 2017. He was approached by security soon after arriving and began to scuffle with them before he was removed from his seat and arrested.

When posting a statement about the arrest during the game, the Knicks called Oakley a great Knick but said he had acted in an "abusive manner" and that they hoped "he gets some help soon." Dolan then said during an ESPN radio interview that Oakley may have a problem with alcohol.

But Sullivan said Oakley failed to prove any of the statements were defamatory.

"Oakley has failed to allege a plausible legal claim that can meet federal pleading standards," Sullivan concluded.

Oakley had been charged with two misdemeanor counts of assault, one misdemeanor count of aggravated harassment and one misdemeanor count of trespassing. He was also cited for two additional counts of harassment that were considered noncriminal violations. The criminal case was dismissed and sealed in 2018.

Oakley, 56, spent 10 years as the Knicks' starting power forward, from the 1988-89 season to 1997-98.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Well if he is being an obnoxious drunk at the games he is disparaging the Knicks public image... lol, I guess. Who cares? That franchise is a dumpster fire.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject:

He never had a case to begin with.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: