Is this the end for Mozgov as a Laker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Mitch- Great at drafting, TERRIBLE with free agency.

Keep the scouting in place and send Mitch packing. Too many miscues, I agree they should be a fire-able offense. Bazemore, Thomas, Lowry, Ed Davis- these players or at leas some of them should be Lakers now.

I can't believe you would wait around for Carmelo or LMA and let good cheap players with upside walk. Deng and Moz contracts are icing on the cake. He needs to go.

We got Malone Payton and gasol under Mitch. 3 future hall of famers

You could argue that Jerry West gave us Gasol.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
999 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Keep the scouting in place and send Mitch packing. Too many miscues, I agree they should be a fire-able offense. Bazemore, Thomas, Lowry, Ed Davis- these players or at leas some of them should be Lakers now.

I can't believe you would wait around for Carmelo or LMA and let good cheap players with upside walk. Deng and Moz contracts are icing on the cake. He needs to go.

Nah. No evidence at all that he was involved.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
999 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

No you couldn't, since he had left the team months before.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject:

There is no need for Moz to see another minute this season. Black/Zu and Nance are holding down the center spot just fine.

I'm expecting Moz to be back next season, as a backup of course. The contract is so ugly they are just stuck with him for another season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
activeverb wrote:

That was his career year to date and I wasn't expecting him to replicate it. But a lot of his success, offensively and defensively, was having the right complement of players around him. I think of him as a guy who can be raised by his teammates; but he's not going to raise a team.

Absolutely. I wasn't expecting him to replicate his career year, but I was hoping for a decent approximation of it. And I agree that it's about putting him in a position to succeed. It's just weird since that Cavs team was really bad defensively (only plus defenders were the recently traded for Shump and LeBron) and Mozgov thrived as a rim protector.

Probably a few things.

Cleveland is a slow paced team and we are a fast paced one, which isn't ideal for Moz or Deng. He's been banged up, and Cleveland did have better defensive players than we do. We pretty much suck across the board.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:
There is no need for Moz to see another minute this season. Black/Zu and Nance are holding down the center spot just fine.

I'm expecting Moz to be back next season, as a backup of course. The contract is so ugly they are just stuck with him for another season.

Three more seasons, unless you think some crazy FO will trade for him.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Capt.Skyhook wrote:

Three more seasons, unless you think some crazy FO will trade for him.

Cavs might be interested. And they can have Calderon too (who they really want). Heck, throw in Lou as well, and to match salaries - Mozg, Deng, Claderon for LeBron.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:
999 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Iirc, Jerry wasn't even with the Grizz anymore when the trade happened, so no, he didn't give us Gasol. Having said that, iirc. There have been several reports that the Grizzlies owner giftedus Pau. Mitch supposedly called to inquire about getting Mike Miller, I think, and the Grizzlies offered us Pau instead because they wanted to shed his salary. If Mitch knew Pau was available, he would have undoubtedly called about him along with a half dozen others, but supposedly no one knew Pau was even up for discussion. Dunno how legit that is, but I believe Ramona has said that a few times when she's been on 710am.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:

What's our record with Moz as DNP? We might have found a very expensive waterboy for the next 4 years.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:

By putting Black and Ingram in the starting lineup, the first unit is much faster and spacing is better. Black is undersized but he does protect the rim, plays with a ton of energy and sets great screens. Further because he is mobile, he can chase S/R and get back in the paint. He ultimately will be the backup to Zubac at some point, but he has played well whenever he gets time.

I thought the Laker FA signings were odd. Ingram being #2 overall, you would assume he would eventually be the starter, so why sign Deng to 4 years at that much money? I believe summer league was before FA and Zu looked good there, so again, signing Moz to 4 years was an odd choice. The real team weakness was at SG. Nick has worked out, but going into the season you had undersized Clarkson & Lou playing SG. No real wing defender / player on the roster.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

As weird as this might sound, I can't wait to see MozGoof get back on the court.

If only to see if being benched has lit any fire in his soul.

As soon as he resumes his "spectator" role, I hope Luke sits him right back down...!

HOPEFULLY this will be last last "worst" signing of the Jim Buss era, that we have to endure...
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this the end for Mozgov as a Laker?

Inspector Gadget wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I'm not aware of Luke sitting him temporary.. and he looks healthy. I'm in support of giving Zu a chance, but not playing your high priced FA is not a good look in future negotiations with FA players.. no matter how he looks he needs to play and find a way to contribute to the team.

It's too early but a FA could see it more as respecting a coach that sits a golly that isn't pulling his weight. Really though we worry too much about their feelings, he knows it's a bisiness. He too LA monopoly money while Cleveland was in his heart. If they literally fired him (won't happen) and he signed with the cavs he'd likely kiss Mitch on the lips and name a kid after Jerry.

Link that Mozgov had or has his heart set in Cleveland?

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/01/08/timofey-mozgov-says-he-misses-playing-for-cavaliers-everything-was-special/

Maybe it's an emotional response regarding the ring ceremony a few weeks prior to this, doesn't matter. It's another example that we think too much about either side owing the other so much. Did Mozgov go over the line with praising his old team? Who cares. The Lakers and Mozgov made a commitment, LA needed a center and Mozgov took the money. Who knows how important showcasing himself was, I mean if Cleveland had 64M for LBJ to offer him I bet he takes it.

So my point was that the players and teams know its a business and at some point reality has to settle in. They use each other and we tend to speculate over things being messier than they are. Magic raved over Luke giving Zubac playing time, Luke doesn't have to feel he owes Mozgov the playing time. If a FA looks at Mozgov being outplayed by Zubac (for now short term, but maybe longer) as being a threat....that FA may not be worth chasing. They aren't going to walk into their next LMA type opportunity and have usage of an overpaid platoon center be a deal breaker.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

JaVale McGhee making the vets min, is a legit better player than Mozgov right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: