If we somehow get the No.1 pick in the draft do we trade it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: If we somehow get the No.1 pick in the draft do we trade it?

I know we will probably have a less than 15% chance of getting the number 1 pick, but if fate decides to bless up with the No. 1 pick, I'm wondering if the front office would trade it for a team that obsessed with whoever we can choose at No.1 and will trade a great addition to our team or use it as ultimate bargaining chip, granted we are pretty much assured a top 4 pick so this scenario works out on multiple levels, we of course are "due" for a winning season next year, I just think that even a sign and trade to get Mr. TDM (triple double machine) Russell Westbrook, and with Magic advocating the smartest basketball reasons possible I'm sure these rebuilding years with all make sense with a few key signings to bring us back to the promise land!

Last edited by LakerFan1977 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: If we somehow get the No.1 pick in the draft do we trade it?

LakerFan1977 wrote:
I know we will probably have a less than 15% chance of getting the number 1 pick, but if fate decides to bless up with the No. 1 pick, I wondering if the front office would trade it for a team that obsessed with whoever we can choose at No.1 and will trade a great addition to our team or use it as ultimate bargaining chip, granted we are pretty much assured a top 4 pick so this scenario works out on multiple levels, we of course are "due" for a winning season next year, I just think that even a sign and trade to get Mr. TDM (triple double machine) Russell Westbrook, and with Magic advocating the smartest basketball reasons possible I'm sure these rebuilding years with all make sense with a few key signings to bring us back to the promise land!

I think the Russell Westbrook thing has sailed besides he wants to prove a point to KD about loyalty thus why he's stay in OKC.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

No, don't trade it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
No, don't trade it.

I second this....our timeline is built around guys that are 20-24 years old....adding an elite level talent that is 19 or 20 makes sense.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Yes, trade down to get Jackson and a future first.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Fultz isn't an Anthony Davis level prospect, but he would be the best prospect on the Lakers and has the potential to be the best guard defender and iso-scorer on the team by no later than his second year. He'd be hard to pass on, especially factoring in his cheap contract, and packaging him with other young talent for a player not named Anthony Davis would be hard to swallow.

Pick #2/#3 in a package for Jimmy Butler or DeMarcus Cousins? I'd probably do it. But Fultz could be the best guard drafted since Curry/Harden - the Lakers shouldn't pass on that for immediate playoff competitiveness.
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: If we somehow get the No.1 pick in the draft do we trade it?

fontana3d wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
I know we will probably have a less than 15% chance of getting the number 1 pick, but if fate decides to bless up with the No. 1 pick, I wondering if the front office would trade it for a team that obsessed with whoever we can choose at No.1 and will trade a great addition to our team or use it as ultimate bargaining chip, granted we are pretty much assured a top 4 pick so this scenario works out on multiple levels, we of course are "due" for a winning season next year, I just think that even a sign and trade to get Mr. TDM (triple double machine) Russell Westbrook, and with Magic advocating the smartest basketball reasons possible I'm sure these rebuilding years with all make sense with a few key signings to bring us back to the promise land!

I think the Russell Westbrook thing has sailed besides he wants to prove a point to KD about loyalty thus why he's stay in OKC.

Thunder playoff success is going south and Westbrook signed on another 2years to prove team loyalty, isn't he a restricted free agent after this season? The Thunder are a 7th seed and slipping further away every season, The Lakers on the other hand have shown glimpses of a potentially potent playoff team with the addition of two superstar/veteran players, plus we could still have another top 3 pick trade bait or simply build up another phenom, actually the way its looking is we probably can do both, wont we have enough cap space to sign two max players next year, BTW we are only 5games out of playoff contention, we have made great strides this season and its looking brighter and brighter

Last edited by LakerFan1977 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: If we somehow get the No.1 pick in the draft do we trade it?

LakerFan1977 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:

Thunder playoff success is going south and Westbrook signed on another 2years to prove team loyalty, isn't he a restricted free agent after this season? The Thunder are a 7th seed and slipping further away every season, The Lakers on the other hand have shown glimpses of a potentially potent playoff team with the addition of two superstar/veteran players, plus we could still have another top 3 pick trade bait of simply build up another phenom

Westbrook is signed through 2019, but can opt out after the 17-18 season which OKC knows. Also the Lakers might not do this unless there is extension in place because we can't lose anymore assets and talent for nothing just like what happen with Dwight Howard.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

It depends. Who are we hypothetically trading it for?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

1st No, 3rd maybe. 4th, not ours.
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: If we somehow get the No.1 pick in the draft do we trade it?

fontana3d wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:

Thunder playoff success is going south and Westbrook signed on another 2years to prove team loyalty, isn't he a restricted free agent after this season? The Thunder are a 7th seed and slipping further away every season, The Lakers on the other hand have shown glimpses of a potentially potent playoff team with the addition of two superstar/veteran players, plus we could still have another top 3 pick trade bait of simply build up another phenom

Westbrook is signed through 2019, but can opt out after the 17-18 season which OKC knows. Also the Lakers might not do this unless there is extension in place because we can't lose anymore assets and talent for nothing just like what happen with Dwight Howard.

That will never happen to us, if and when we sign Westbrook it will be for multiple years, and he probably will find L.A. a lot more attractive with Magic being the main pitch man, if we can sign him or maybe a sign and trade for John Wall if we get the number 1 pick I think we will be in a great position next season for a solid playoff run
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/matchups

look at the traffic jam for the 8th seed, every team is in contention in the West, I don't think I remember it being this close
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Do not let Markelle Fultz get away. Also any star that we trade for will not be on the same timeline as our current talent. We might as well trade them all off then
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

I'd keep 1 and 2.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: If we somehow get the No.1 pick in the draft do we trade it?

LakerFan1977 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:

That will never happen to us, if and when we sign Westbrook it will be for multiple years, and he probably will find L.A. a lot more attractive with Magic being the main pitch man, if we can sign him or maybe a sign and trade for John Wall if we get the number 1 pick I think we will be in a great position next season for a solid playoff run

You mean not let it happen to us again. Anyways we have to fit $28,530,608 next year for him and we can have as many as $31.5 million this summer So Young (opt out), Huertas, Black (non guaranteed on their contracts for next year, and that draft pick(cost us about $5 mil, and is cetnerpiece of any big trade we make) all have to go in order to fit that salary in. Not getting a second max slot will we blew that with Deng and Mozgov.With all that we will be a 1st round exit team like OKC is or 2nd round if we're lucky, but not to get past Golden State.

Last edited by fontana3d on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Trade it, we have enough players we need to develop, unless we are getting a player in the draft that has LeBron or Jordan potential
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Trade it, we have enough players we need to develop, unless we are getting a player in the draft that has LeBron or Jordan potential

The problem is what to trade it for. I know thing though we are not beating that superteam in Oakland so if we get to the playoffs then next year is a success.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
No, don't trade it.

I second this....our timeline is built around guys that are 20-24 years old....adding an elite level talent that is 19 or 20 makes sense.

You wouldn't be adding an elite talent, just another young player with questions and issues. But you could potentially add a good talent that is 20-24 yo.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: If we somehow get the No.1 pick in the draft do we trade it?

fontana3d wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:

I happy with Rus staying in OKC. The GSW's just let him go for over 40 and blow the game. I think Rus dies a lot of things but he's not going to win anything, I don't think he gets it at all..
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

I think Luke should build a defensive mindset team while developing a powerful offense, if we sign another good big like a slightly declined Serge Ibaka for cheap and somehow convince DeMarcus of glittering tinsel town I think we should be in line to intice Westbrook's fashion sense
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Butler, I'm in. Cousins? No way, he's just to much of a distraction, hope he stays in SAC...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: If we somehow get the No.1 pick in the draft do we trade it?

LakerFan1977 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:

Westbrook is already 28 and his game is dependent upon his athleticism. He's probably going to drop off rapidly after 30.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:

We are stuck with Mozgov and Deng's contracts. There is no point trying to build a contender while those 2 contracts are hampering us and the bulk of our talent too young to make any serious impact. Get another young player and by the time Russell/Randle/Ingram/pick hit their primes we will have stars(hopefully) on good deals and be off the Deng/Mozgov contract to be able to pick up a true superstar.
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Butler, I'm in. Cousins? No way, he's just to much of a distraction, hope he stays in SAC...

The best available big man is always a priority, I think with our SF and PF positions developing nicely a center who can defend, score, and is probably considered the best statistical center in today's game is no doubt going to be given anything he wants in Sacramento, but if he wants out of Sacramento, and he just may, a move down the coast is entirely possible, we just have to sell him on a team first, championship mindset instead of a fat paycheck and playoff futility
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1977 wrote:
I think Luke should build a defensive mindset team while developing a powerful offense, if we sign another good big like a slightly declined Serge Ibaka for cheap and somehow convince DeMarcus of glittering tinsel town I think we should be in line to intice Westbrook's fashion sense

DeMarcus is too much trouble to deal with, and we won't have no cap space if dumb and dumber (Cousins and Westbrook) takes up our space.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: