Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss' Greatest (and Worst) Hits as LA Lakers Executives
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss' Greatest (and Worst) Hits as LA Lakers Executives

Hey all,

Here's my latest at @BleacherReport
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2692308-mitch-kupchak-and-jim-buss-greatest-and-worst-hits-as-la-lakers-executives

The focus is really post-Dr. Buss - I mention Pau/Bynum - and the hiring of Brown/D'Antoni - but really it's a report card on what they've done since.

Cheers,

Eric
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

So is this a sign that both Jim and Mitch are out?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

Can someone use a meme generator to answer that question ironically?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Sorry if I sounded dumb.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Not saying that, just would like a sign jpg that reads what you asked
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
emplay wrote:

Sorry if I sounded dumb.

were use to it
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Not saying that, just would like a sign jpg that reads what you asked

Gotcha
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

wait we were used to it past tense or we're used to it?

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

emplay - do you think the Nash trade was a bad move at the time it was made? It was an overwhelmingly popular move, we have thus far given up basically nothing of value, and if not for injuries to Nash and Kobe, the team wouldcouldashoulda made some noise in the Playoffs. I know in retrospect it is the target of a lot of blame for our present situation, but in reality it hasn't yet hampered the Lakers at all.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject:

The protections weren't strong enough - when a move like that happens, I look at pros and cons - and there were certainly pros
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
The protections weren't strong enough - when a move like that happens, I look at pros and cons - and there were certainly pros

Legitimate concern unless the Lakers keep their pick this year. If the pick is retained, would that change your perception of the trade?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Hard to say in that if the pick was top-10 protected would the Lakers have finished in the 9-10 range each year - were moves and decisions made to stay horrible to protect the pick?
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Hard to say in that if the pick was top-10 protected would the Lakers have finished in the 9-10 range each year - were moves and decisions made to stay horrible to protect the pick?

They certainly played and coached like it.

Of course the 'reward' for having the pick Top 3 protected instead of Top 10 protected is that we got Top 3 talent instead of Top 10 talent. Fans were more understanding of tanking hard for a Top 3 pick than they would be just stumbling through with a few more wins and keeping a couple #10s.

Imagine if they had tighter protections and the team played to those protections meaning that we have Thon Maker and Justise Wilnslow instead of Brandon Ingram and D'Angelo Russell. Wouldn't the stricter protections actually have made the team much worse?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Just admit it, you ripped off my thread for your article!

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=180971

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

The Nets appear to have locked in the top spot, giving Brooklyn a 64.3 percent chance at a top-three selection. If the Lakers can "catch" the Suns, they'll have 55.8 percent odds.

Currently, the chances Los Angeles keeps its 2017 first-rounder is 46.9 percent.

Boston will get the pick, and 2018 too. Scary.

The uncertainty of lottery is why I am anti tanking. 9% chance is not worth it.

The Lakers could have resigned Kobe for less, but he may have served the function of tanking without tanking. This is the 4th year the Lakers are bad, but it feel like the first year of rebuilding. The franchise will always be associated with him and keep making money from that connection while he is no longer on the payroll. So I would not say the last years of Kobe was not worth the contract.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject:

I don't get the post-factum know-it-all ripping of Nash and Howard deals. This is just a looking-good publicity because in the hindsight we all know better. Actually, they were good deals made according to the best available knowledge at a time.
The core of Bryant-Gasol-Howard-Nash was a remake of Bryant-Shaq-Payton-Malone team. It is only sad that neither worked out. And this is something we can only criticize because now we know better. Everybody new to expect some decline of Nash (although he was still excellent when he joined the Lakers), but no one could have predicted his injury in the second game with the Lakers. Fora a comparison - you don't say that drafting Bynum was a mistake simply because Odom crashed into his knees and A.B. could never run or jump again.

If there was one mistake in Nash and Howard deals, it was actually continuing with an inept coach. Think of having those four playing for Phil....

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss' Greatest (and Worst) Hits as LA Lakers Executives

emplay wrote:
Hey all,

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2692308-mitch-kupchak-and-jim-buss-greatest-and-worst-hits-as-la-lakers-executives

The focus is really post-Dr. Buss - I mention Pau/Bynum - and the hiring of Brown/D'Antoni - but really it's a report card on what they've done since.

Cheers,

Eric

"In 2016, the Lakers used their cap space to take Jeremy Lin's salary off the Houston Rockets' books. He stuck for just one season......"

Emplay, there is a typo in the segment regarding Lin. We signed him for the 14/15 season.

I also don't think "many" argued for the Lakers to draft Krisptaps. I believe Chad Ford was very high on him, but didn't believe the Lakers had the cajones to take him. "Many" thought it was Kat or Oakafor for most of the year, then Russell came in discussion near the end. But yes, there are "many" after the fact, mainly this season.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss' Greatest (and Worst) Hits as LA Lakers Executives

emplay wrote:
Hey all,

Cheers,

Eric

Great article Eric! My thoughts exactly. The Buss kids, ie Jeannie and Jim need to take a step back and move away from the limelight. Hire Magic as Team President, let Mitch be the sole GM with no Jim Buss hanging over his shoulders and allow Ryan West to be the assistant GM. While the 2 kids occupy a significant position in the day to day operations of the team, we will always be a bickering away from being called a joke. We need to rebuild our image from the top down. We have to sell the image that the Lakers are run by a single person in Magic and everybody else like Mitch and Tim Harris report to him. Then just like when Dr. Buss was alive, Magic can confer with the Buss kids on major decisions. But ultimately, it should be Magic making the call.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Have I been to hard on Jimbo?

Maybe when someone told him to build a winning Team, he thought that meant by getting HIGH draft picks?

He certainly has done that...!

We are the Clippers of the 90's...!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Have I been to hard on Jimbo?

Maybe when someone told him to build a winning Team, he thought that meant by getting HIGH draft picks?

He certainly has done that...!

We are the Clippers of the 90's...!

If it were up to guys like Magic (and many of the most fervent critics of the current FO), we would have even drafted our own Olowokandi in the 2015 draft!
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Personally I think the Jeanie, Jim, Magic dynamic has a lot of potential.

I don't trust Jeanie to make competent hires in the front office or coaching staff. She wanted Phil as President of Basketball Operations and reportedly favored retaining Byron Scott as head coach.

I don't trust Magic to evaluate young talent or navigate the collective bargaining agreement. He's consistently shown in the past a lack of foresight with understanding the salary cap and the potential of rookies versus veteran players.

I don't trust Jim and Mitch to woo star free agents. They were ineffective in wooing either Carmelo or Aldridge and couldn't even get meetings with Durant or Whiteside.

That being said, I feel like having them all working together effectively helps negate a lot of the flaws I see in each. With a third voice at the table, it effectively forces Jim and Jeanie to communicate more and establish their plans and agendas. Meanwhile Magic's charismatic persona and famous exploits brings more legitimacy to franchise perception and free agency exploits.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

I don't trust Jeanie to make competent hires in the front office or coaching staff. She wanted Phil as President of Basketball Operations and reportedly favored retaining Byron Scott as head coach.

I don't trust Magic to evaluate young talent or navigate the collective bargaining agreement. He's consistently shown in the past a lack of foresight with understanding the salary cap and the potential of rookies versus veteran players.

I don't trust Jim and Mitch to woo star free agents. They were ineffective in wooing either Carmelo or Aldridge and couldn't even get meetings with Durant or Whiteside.

That being said, I feel like having them all working together effectively helps negate a lot of the flaws I see in each. With a third voice at the table, it effectively forces Jim and Jeanie to communicate more and establish their plans and agendas. Meanwhile Magic's charismatic persona and famous exploits brings more legitimacy to franchise perception and free agency pursuits.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:

That being said, I feel like having them all working together effectively helps negate a lot of the flaws I see in each. With a third voice at the table, it effectively forces Jim and Jeanie to communicate more and establish their plans and agendas. Meanwhile Magic's charismatic persona and famous exploits brings more legitimacy to franchise perception and free agency pursuits.

What a pleasant thought!!

I hope you are right!
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

How does Byron Scott not make the bad or ugly list?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: