Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss' Greatest (and Worst) Hits as LA Lakers Executives
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
The protections weren't strong enough - when a move like that happens, I look at pros and cons - and there were certainly pros
So far the Lakers had been lucky, the last two lottery was like watching Russian Roulet. Lakers got lucky that both times the chamber was empty.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

I've been preaching that Mitch hasn't been as bad as so many around here have been claiming! There are no GM's in any sport that have a perfect record. Everyone misses on a lot of things (free agency, drafting, trades, etc). Just as long as you equally have a record of doing good, then you can prove valuable to a team. And without question, Mitch has a remarkable record of doing good. But not just good, massively good!

Eric, you whiffed on a number of things in that article:

The Dwight + Nash trade. That trade was phenomenal! It just didn't work out. But you wouldn't have found even one naysayer who was against it at the time. Hindsight is 20/20. It was undeniably and unanimously a good move back then.

You also missed out on the Chris Paul trade. That to was a huge coo for the Lakers front office (if the NBA hadn't interfered).

And I believe the Kobe contract at the end of his career had nothing to do with Mitch or Jim. I think that was a total business decision made by the head of the business side of things, Jeannie Buss.

What I would like to see happen: Mitch continue as the GM. Magic caring for PR and takes the lead in every free agent meeting! Magic has the charisma to woo potential free agent suitors. The only problem now is that with the new CBA, will there be any free agents worth wooing?
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
Personally I think the Jeanie, Jim, Magic dynamic has a lot of potential.

I don't trust Jeanie to make competent hires in the front office or coaching staff. She wanted Phil as President of Basketball Operations and reportedly favored retaining Byron Scott as head coach.

I don't trust Magic to evaluate young talent or navigate the collective bargaining agreement. He's consistently shown in the past a lack of foresight with understanding the salary cap and the potential of rookies versus veteran players.

I don't trust Jim and Mitch to woo star free agents. They were ineffective in wooing either Carmelo or Aldridge and couldn't even get meetings with Durant or Whiteside.

That being said, I feel like having them all working together effectively helps negate a lot of the flaws I see in each. With a third voice at the table, it effectively forces Jim and Jeanie to communicate more and establish their plans and agendas. Meanwhile Magic's charismatic persona and famous exploits brings more legitimacy to franchise perception and free agency pursuits.

Great post. Hopefully this arrangement comes to pass
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
I've been preaching that Mitch hasn't been as bad as so many around here have been claiming! There are no GM's in any sport that have a perfect record. Everyone misses on a lot of things (free agency, drafting, trades, etc). Just as long as you equally have a record of doing good, then you can prove valuable to a team. And without question, Mitch has a remarkable record of doing good. But not just good, massively good!

Eric, you whiffed on a number of things in that article:

The Dwight + Nash trade. That trade was phenomenal! It just didn't work out. But you wouldn't have found even one naysayer who was against it at the time. Hindsight is 20/20. It was undeniably and unanimously a good move back then.

You also missed out on the Chris Paul trade. That to was a huge coo for the Lakers front office (if the NBA hadn't interfered).

And I believe the Kobe contract at the end of his career had nothing to do with Mitch or Jim. I think that was a total business decision made by the head of the business side of things, Jeannie Buss.

What I would like to see happen: Mitch continue as the GM. Magic caring for PR and takes the lead in every free agent meeting! Magic has the charisma to woo potential free agent suitors. The only problem now is that with the new CBA, will there be any free agents worth wooing?

Yeah, Mitch and Jim get a bum rap with revisionist history. Taken in the moment, it's hard to find fault with those moves.

Willing to give Magic a chance. The biggest plus with him and Pelinka will be drawing free agents.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject:

Nice eulogy Pincus
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: