L.A. Lakers Coach Luke Walton Needs to Invest More in D'Angelo Russell's Future

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: L.A. Lakers Coach Luke Walton Needs to Invest More in D'Angelo Russell's Future

Hey all,

Here's my latest at Bleacher Report
L.A. Lakers Coach Luke Walton Needs to Invest More in D'Angelo Russell's Future
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693066-la-lakers-coach-luke-walton-needs-to-invest-more-in-dangelo-russells-future

Also, I spoke to Tarik and Nance about Magic as a player - who was before their time, as was MJ. Their Jordan was Kobe.

That said, Tarik is a big Magic guy - knows all the moments from that era, the baby skyhook, starting at center in the Finals, etc.

Cheers,

EP
razor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

I thought it was odd they didn't take a timeout also. Luke starts DLO, then puts him back in at the end of the 2nd quarter, thats a long time to sit out. Same thing in the second half, but if Lou or Nick is hot, he might not make it back in the 4th, strange treatment for a supposed star guard. I've never been on the DLO bandwagon, he's got some talent, but just real low on intensity and leadership. I suspect his knees are shot.
As far as Lou, all the reasons and numbers sound good to make him trade bait, but I think it will be a horrible mistake, he's the only insurance policy the Lakers have, and without him I'm not sure the Lakers could have won a game this year.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Both Scott and Walton have turned away from russell. Gotta be a reason for that.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Almost two dozen teams are still vying for 16 postseason berths. An ideal trade partner would be a playoff hopeful looking to bolster its bench while giving up draft considerations and/or young talent for the Lakers' leading scorer (18.5 points a game).

Lou could also be traded to
1) unload Mozgov/Deng
2) be part of a quantity for quality deal

I prefer the last option but it's the most difficult in February.
I think they should trade Lou before the FA period in order to know more clearly what to do next. Late June like the Ibaka trade last year.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject:

"D'Angelo knows what it's like; he's played all last year and this year," Walton contended Ingram's minutes on the court as a rookie carried greater weight than Russell's minutes on the court as a sophomore. "He's been in clutch games. He's been in blowouts, so he has that experience." ...

For Walton, game time minutes on the court hold value, and Clarkson earning minutes to finish a game out supersedes simply tossing Russell back on the court. Similarly, second-year power forward Larry Nance Jr. playing in the fourth quarter over third-year Julius Randle cannot exactly be considered as a move designed to stunt the growth of the Lakers' young players.
When it comes to Ingram, though, Walton made it clear that those minutes matter more than they do for guys like Russell, Randle, Clarkson or Nance, who have all managed to get at least one full season under their belts.

Source: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Luke-Walton-Talks-Ingram-Russell-Postamge-413805313.html#ixzz4YpmRasTI
Follow us: @NBCLA on Twitter | NBCLA on Facebook
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

rebirth wrote:
Both Scott and Walton have turned away from russell. Gotta be a reason for that.

Yeah, that's been on my mind as well. Yikes!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

He's our best player.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
He's our best player.

That's not a very good sign, is it. If your best player is someone of Luo/Nick/DLO/Randle, the team is quite.....

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
Halflife wrote:
He's our best player.
That's not a very good sign, is it. If your best player is someone of Luo/Nick/DLO/Randle, the team is quite.....
DLO has athletic abilities and basketball talent. Given his mental makeup and his strength as a Catch and Shoot player, he makes a good combo guard that will flourish when the Lakers acquire a legitimate floor leader
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
s_habe wrote:
Halflife wrote:
He's our best player.
DLO has athletic abilities and basketball talent. Given his mental makeup and his strength as a Catch and Shoot player, he makes a good combo guard that will flourish when the Lakers acquire a legitimate floor leader

I'm not much of a DLo guy but one thing for sure is that he is not a point guard even considering how the league's description of a PG has changed. Buy concern is that I'm not sure he gan guard at either guard spot.

With that said, I hope he gets time for the rest of the year to put up numbers so he is better trade bait or to allow the team to figure out what they really have.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
s_habe wrote:
Halflife wrote:
He's our best player.
I'm not much of a DLo guy but one thing for sure is that he is not a point guard even considering how the league's description of a PG has changed. Buy concern is that I'm not sure he gan guard at either guard spot.

With that said, I hope he gets time for the rest of the year to put up numbers so he is better trade bait or to allow the team to figure out what they really have.
With Huertsas and Williams gone (with Calderon gone next season), DLO, JC and Ball/Fultz (along with Swaggy) would make up a strong backcourt.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Only person I would not part with is Ingram. Everyone else has glari g weaknesses. (Randle, I'm concerned about his health.)

Love what Nance brings to the table but if push came to shove to get a great player, he should go as well.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

If I recall correctly, Ingram was a PG in HS and that is why he has such good dribbling and ball handling capabilities. When he shout up another 6" (or so) he "grew" out of the PG position in college.

Russel (to me) is much more of a SG than a PG, he does not look to make those magic pinpoint passes and when he got his career high (of 10 assists) this season, that is NOT that mark of a pass-first PG mentality.

I have no problem keeping Russel at the SG position and playing Ingram at PG, the Lakers were once very successful with a 6'9" PG. And I am hoping the new Director of Operations can help with this!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: