Starting to wonder if ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
One thing is for sure, we don't have a superstar on this team.

Top 10 players are pretty rare.

Sure but we don't even have an offensive go-to option, which is paramount.

Well serves us right for not tanking hard enough the few year, and also no one knew some of the players that were draft behind us was better than we thought.

One player that comes to mind is Myles Turner. Imagine if we got him at 6th instead of Randle??? I never liked the Randle pick to begin with, I thought he had pretty much maxed his ceiling. He was a high floor but low ceiling type of pick.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

lakid wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Well serves us right for not tanking hard enough the few year, and also no one knew some of the players that were draft behind us was better than we thought.

One player that comes to mind is Myles Turner. Imagine if we got him at 6th instead of Randle??? I never liked the Randle pick to begin with, I thought he had pretty much maxed his ceiling. He was a high floor but low ceiling type of pick.

So many people were worried about Turner's gait going into that draft.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

They are young kids and they are not very good right now.

They will improve over time. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Don't panic
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

This is a legitimate concern going forward. I'm all for the tank but last night's loss should be unacceptable to fans. They might be young, but losing to one of the worst teams in the league by 36? Suns are even younger than us, so no point in bringing up how young/inexperienced we are for this one. At some point, something has to give. We can't keep making excuses for them every time they get blown out. The d-fenders might have given more effort last night and that's sad to think about.

There are clear areas of regression this season, which I didn't think was possible. The team is playing some of the worst defense of the decade. The roster, as it's currently constructed, has obvious issues and multiple redundancies mean less varied play on both ends of the floor (Huertas, Calderon, MWP, TRob, Black).
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

I'm not a big fan of Randle but you can't expect such immediate results from the others. I think the ones I would consider moving would be Randle and Clarkson but I like Clarkson as a rotational player. I would stay put unless you can move Randle. His game just doesn't match his position and size.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

I do not think that you can judge them based upon this one single game.

The FO should continuously be evaluating the roster and other teams to improve this team.

Presently, the records speak for itself.

We suck.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

lakid wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

You mean Embiid? Randle was drafted 7th in 2014. Myles Turner was drafted #11 in 2015 in the same draft as Russell.
halosage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

Guys,

These are young pups. DLO, Clarkson, BI and Randle.
The exception for BI, they played under Byron and we know how that went.

This is year 1 under Coach Walton. Lets relax, enjoy the ride and swallow their mistakes. Come year 3 ..then we hit the Panic button if progress has not been made.

We have seen some good things this year...Nance turning out to be a really solid role player... Zubac, future looks bright can Block, hit 10ft, set solid screens...BI, glimpse poor man KD, DLO sweet J and can pass accurately when he does not think twice...JC future 6th man of the year ...Randle, very solid rebounder and can go coast to coast
Of course, few missing pieces...but future looks bright.

We can somehow bring in Anthony Davis...I am telling you...the league better watch out.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
In my humble opinion, the Lakers are actually close to having a competing team. But they need a star player. In addition, and sadly, both Randle and (especially) Russel will never develop into anything this Lakers team needs, and should be packaged and traded.

This is the kind of short sightedness that is frustrating to read. So you want to get rid of them, yet you think so low of them? What do you expect to get in return that's better?

I think what you and I disagree on is potential indicators. Lets take Ingram, who is not as good a player as Russel right now, but shows much more potential. His footwork is good, his energy is consistent. He seems to be able to make adjustments, and his "feel" for the game is there. Randle, if he can improve his shooting and develop a work ethic, can possibly be salvaged. But Russel is just a lost cause, at least at the PG spot. He isn't likely to improve his shooting enough to be competitive in leauge full of talent at the 1 spot. He doesn't appear to have much work ethic. His defense is average to poor, and his attitude is more flash than substance. Russel isn't what I call a "smart player". He has no PG instincts, and that won't change.

So, anything is better than sticking with ineffective players. I can extend some patience towards Randel, but Russel, if used as a PG, just won't fit in here.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Don't panic

I guess I disagree with this sort of sentiment. I don't mind development of young players, but said players have to exhibit certain characteristics that indicate that growth is possible. Not so sure that our starting PG has this.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Don't panic

I guess I disagree with this sort of sentiment. I don't mind development of young players, but said players have to exhibit certain characteristics that indicate that growth is possible. Not so sure that our starting PG has this.

What do you want to see from him?

I feel like he's shown most of the necessary skills to be a PG, he's just inconsistent.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
troy wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Don't panic

I feel like he's shown most of the necessary skills to be a PG, he's just inconsistent.

1. Russell can't shoot effectively. Last year his FG% was 41%. This year it's 39% and dropping. A starting PG in a Luke Walton offense, in an NBA league full of talent at the 1 spot, must shoot better than 40%. I want to see him get better, not worse.

2. Russel has demonstrated that he has no basketball instinct. He's not running the offense effectively, he's not hitting players at the right spot, he's not making his players better, he's not providing leadership when the Lakers need it, and, quite frankly, he's not winning the confidence of Luke Walton. I want to see Walton rely on this guy for closing games, something that is not happening enough (wonder why).

3. His assist rate is (4.7 pg) is very average, which would be okay if he was more of a scorer, which he is not. So, not only is he not producing points, he's not setting up points for his teammates. I will say that his assist rate has improved since last year, but I'd like to see him around that 6-7 apg rate.

4. His defense is not good. He's not quick enough to stop fast, smaller PGs, and he's not strong enough to man-handle bigger guards. I want to see him get smarter about his positioning and footwork, and do better at anticipating where opposing guards are going and what they are doing.

5. His leadership is non-existent, especially after the Nick Young fiasco, where several teammates refused to talk with D'Angelo. I want to see D'Angelo take control of a faltering Lakers team that is desperate for leadership.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to wonder if ...

Wino wrote:
It's time to break this team up?
DLO has looked awful for too long.
Randle seems limited, good at some things but lacking at others.

Just completely lacking in fundamentals and consistency.

Very disappointing.

Nope. Year 1 of true rebuild. No franchise player injuries (Kobe, D12, Nash). No coaching changes.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

lakid wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

You trust drafting a guy with a severe walking gait issue that affected his back and lower core to be taken care of with the Laker medical staff?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
troy wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Don't panic

1. Russell can't shoot effectively. Last year his FG% was 41%. This year it's 39% and dropping. A starting PG in a Luke Walton offense, in an NBA league full of talent at the 1 spot, must shoot better than 40%. I want to see him get better, not worse.

2. Russel has demonstrated that he has no basketball instinct. He's not running the offense effectively, he's not hitting players at the right spot, he's not making his players better, he's not providing leadership when the Lakers need it, and, quite frankly, he's not winning the confidence of Luke Walton. I want to see Walton rely on this guy for closing games, something that is not happening enough (wonder why).

3. His assist rate is (4.7 pg) is very average, which would be okay if he was more of a scorer, which he is not. So, not only is he not producing points, he's not setting up points for his teammates. I will say that his assist rate has improved since last year, but I'd like to see him around that 6-7 apg rate.

4. His defense is not good. He's not quick enough to stop fast, smaller PGs, and he's not strong enough to man-handle bigger guards. I want to see him get smarter about his positioning and footwork, and do better at anticipating where opposing guards are going and what they are doing.

5. His leadership is non-existent, especially after the Nick Young fiasco, where several teammates refused to talk with D'Angelo. I want to see D'Angelo take control of a faltering Lakers team that is desperate for leadership.

1) The inability to shoot off the dribble is a little worrisome but I expect his mid range shot to improve. He already shoots a great % on catch and shoot 3s, the issue is there very few players on the roster with the ability to hit him for open shots.

2). This is just not true. I think he's a very instinctive player. The offense runs much better when he's in there. The record shows it, the Orating shows it and the eye test shows it. He doesn't hit players in the right spots? I think Nick Young would strongly disagree with that.

3). He's 20 and not playing many minutes because of how the roster is constructed. How do you expect hm to get all these points and assists playing such little minutes? You don't think a 20 year old averaging his per 36 numbers is impressive?

4) When he's engaged and playing with acceptable effort, he's actually an decent defender IMO. He loses focus at times but when he's active, he has shown an ability to affect shots with his length, keep opposing guards in front of him, and get his hands on passes. I don't think it's a coincidence that the team Drating is better in games which he plays.

5). Really? We are still talking about this Nick Young stuff. You never posted anything you shouldn't have on social media at 20? It was a mistake and he owned and dealt with that situation in a mature manner IMO. What specific things do you want him to do to prove he's a leader?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
troy wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Don't panic

I forgave your erroneous use of FG% for shooting ability.... but the bolded made me check out immediately.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
lakid wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

You trust drafting a guy with a severe walking gait issue that affected his back and lower core to be taken care of with the Laker medical staff?

Forget that -- the premise doesn't even make sense. Turner was in the 2015 draft, and Randle was #7 (in the 2014 draft) anyways.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
In my humble opinion, the Lakers are actually close to having a competing team. But they need a star player. In addition, and sadly, both Randle and (especially) Russel will never develop into anything this Lakers team needs, and should be packaged and traded.

This is the kind of short sightedness that is frustrating to read. So you want to get rid of them, yet you think so low of them? What do you expect to get in return that's better?

I think what you and I disagree on is potential indicators. Lets take Ingram, who is not as good a player as Russel right now, but shows much more potential. His footwork is good, his energy is consistent. He seems to be able to make adjustments, and his "feel" for the game is there. Randle, if he can improve his shooting and develop a work ethic, can possibly be salvaged. But Russel is just a lost cause, at least at the PG spot. He isn't likely to improve his shooting enough to be competitive in leauge full of talent at the 1 spot. He doesn't appear to have much work ethic. His defense is average to poor, and his attitude is more flash than substance. Russel isn't what I call a "smart player". He has no PG instincts, and that won't change.

So, anything is better than sticking with ineffective players. I can extend some patience towards Randel, but Russel, if used as a PG, just won't fit in here.

Ingram has good footwork? I think that's what he needs tremendous improvement on. I think you're overly relying on the eyetest, and confusing activity for achievement.

I like Ingram a lot but right now it's more activity over actual achievement on court. But unlike the many impatient folks here, I have that inbuilt that DLO/Ingram will take time and not be complete players in years 2 and 1 of their careers.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to wonder if ...

yinoma2001 wrote:
Wino wrote:
nash wrote:
Wino wrote:

Very disappointing.

At this point I'd move Julius but I believe we should hold Russell for at least one more season because he is a talented player and man ... he was a second pick, a team going to the lottery so many years can't afford to lose a 2nd pick in one of the deepest drafts in years. Lets see if he can develop his body and put it all together unless we find a trade for a legit all star.

My hope is we get either Fultz or Ball in the draft and then keep one of these youngsters and trade the rest out for a defensive rotation guard.

I would like to keep Ingram, simply because he could become a much different player if his body develops and he gets bigger.

I worry that all these kids are trying sooo hard not to step on each other, that none of them is going to step up until a couple of them just fail and are let go.

I'm sure we'd see another post from you lamenting about how Fultz/Ball aren't stars when they're 19.

Now don't be a douche bag, if you have followed me at all, you know saying this is NOT what I want. It has taken me two years to come to this conclusion with DLO and Randle. And yeah, most of us can recognize real talent when we see it. I'm questioning these kids hearts. They are happy being one of the worst teams in the league, they aren't digging deep enough. I don't see it in their eyes, I don't hear it in their voice. I've been watching the Lakers and the NBA since Jerry West was a rookie and I have seen a lot of young players become great. All the ones I can think of, showed a heck of a lot more than our kids are, by this stage of their careers. That is just the truth.

Do they have a chance of becoming great? Perhaps, I certainly am not ready to give up on Ingram yet but I am pretty close to conclusion on my opinion of Randle and DLO. I don't see either of them being a started on a contending team. Sad but true. You want to disparage me for that then, to hell with you and good luck.

And yeah, if we draft Fultz or Ball and they come here and play without being fundamentally sound for two years and without the heart to take responsibility, then you are right, I will want to trade them!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to wonder if ...

Wino wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Wino wrote:
nash wrote:
Wino wrote:

Very disappointing.

At this point I'd move Julius but I believe we should hold Russell for at least one more season because he is a talented player and man ... he was a second pick, a team going to the lottery so many years can't afford to lose a 2nd pick in one of the deepest drafts in years. Lets see if he can develop his body and put it all together unless we find a trade for a legit all star.

My hope is we get either Fultz or Ball in the draft and then keep one of these youngsters and trade the rest out for a defensive rotation guard.

I would like to keep Ingram, simply because he could become a much different player if his body develops and he gets bigger.

I worry that all these kids are trying sooo hard not to step on each other, that none of them is going to step up until a couple of them just fail and are let go.

I'm sure we'd see another post from you lamenting about how Fultz/Ball aren't stars when they're 19.

Now don't be a douche bag, if you have followed me at all, you know saying this is NOT what I want. It has taken me two years to come to this conclusion with DLO and Randle. And yeah, most of us can recognize real talent when we see it. I'm questioning these kids hearts. They are happy being one of the worst teams in the league, they aren't digging deep enough. I don't see it in their eyes, I don't hear it in their voice. I've been watching the Lakers and the NBA since Jerry West was a rookie and I have seen a lot of young players become great. All the ones I can think of, showed a heck of a lot more than our kids are, by this stage of their careers. That is just the truth.

Do they have a chance of becoming great? Perhaps, I certainly am not ready to give up on Ingram yet but I am pretty close to conclusion on my opinion of Randle and DLO. I don't see either of them being a started on a contending team. Sad but true. You want to disparage me for that then, to hell with you and good luck.

And yeah, if we draft Fultz or Ball and they come here and play without being fundamentally sound for two years and without the heart to take responsibility, then you are right, I will want to trade them!

Good lord. Did you say the same for the past 3 drafts, that the "next" would be it?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

And my goodness, you can "see it in their eyes?" And 2 years is more than enough to know?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to wonder if ...

yinoma2001 wrote:
Wino wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Wino wrote:
nash wrote:
Wino wrote:

Very disappointing.

Good lord. Did you say the same for the past 3 drafts, that the "next" would be it?

I've never said this before, it is not my typical MO, but I tell you what, you are just a combative personality. I will ask you right now, to just stay away from me. Don't respect your tone. If I could block you, I would.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Well defend your posts. You make a thread, you defend your concepts instead of saying "stay away from me." It's never personal so don't take it personally.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Well defend your posts. You make a thread, you defend your concepts instead of saying "stay away from me." It's never personal so don't take it personally.

Because you act like a know it all and are combative in your response.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Because you act like a know it all and are combative in your response.

So come back with a response then. It's a dialogue of ideas.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: