CBS sport new top 50 ever (#2. LeBron, #10. Kobe, #38. Paul Pierce... not included: James Worthy)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: CBS sport new top 50 ever (#2. LeBron, #10. Kobe, #38. Paul Pierce... not included: James Worthy)

What you think?
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Kawhi at #50 ... I'm a big fan, but this feels premature to me.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm getting old. Don't really care anymore about these lists.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

They took off BGJ so they could put Dwight on?

#okbye
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject:

What's that famous quote from The Big Lebowski?
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

I really hope LeBron loses the next 3 finals he's in. That way the ridiculousness of putting him 2nd all time so soon can end.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS sport new top 50 ever (#2. LeBron, #10. Kobe, #38. Paul Pierce... not included: James Worthy)

governator wrote:
What you think?

Decent list

Lebron and Curry are too high.
Kareem too low.
Howard and Leonard wouldn't make my cut.
But overall OK
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I can live with that list.

It may be a little early to put Lebron at #2, but that's where he is likely to wind up. Heck, if his career ended today, a lot of people would put him there.

Curry seems a little high at first glance, but it comes down to how much weight you give to peak value vs. career value. None of the guys behind him can match his peak value. I would probably put him behind Barkley and Paul, but I'd put him ahead of Pippen and Stockton.

As for Kawhi and Dwight, I'd have to take a hard look at who got left off the list. Most of the names I see (Parrish, Vince Carter, Westbrook) don't impress me that much.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject:

I dont have too much problem with LeBron being #2.
In fact I would argue that if you were to start a team with any player in the history of the game LeBron is your best bet and will get you most wins. I think along with MJ and Shaq he is the most impactful player ever. Probably even more so than MJ and Shaq.
Anyhow, I dont really see a case for anyone over LeBron all time except for MJ and Kareem.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: CBS sport new top 50 ever (#2. LeBron, #10. Kobe, #38. Paul Pierce... not included: James Worthy)

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:
What you think?

Decent list

Lebron and Curry are too high.
Kareem too low.
Howard and Leonard wouldn't make my cut.
But overall OK

Yeah, MJ/Kareem should still be 1 - 2 (either way) then maybe LeBron (I do feel he needs to win more to get to top 3) but Big Game James not in the list, bothers me
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

Pretty good list, imo. Sucks to see LeBron so high, but the dude's a freak of nature, what can you do?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Lebron would have to win 3-4 more titles for me to put him ahead of Jordan, Kareem or Magic.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I can live with that list.

It may be a little early to put Lebron at #2, but that's where he is likely to wind up. Heck, if his career ended today, a lot of people would put him there.

Curry seems a little high at first glance, but it comes down to how much weight you give to peak value vs. career value. None of the guys behind him can match his peak value. I would probably put him behind Barkley and Paul, but I'd put him ahead of Pippen and Stockton.

As for Kawhi and Dwight, I'd have to take a hard look at who got left off the list. Most of the names I see (Parrish, Vince Carter, Westbrook) don't impress me that much.

I think Pippen at his peak had a higher value. Curry is the better scorer. Pippen was better at everything else. Kinda like a Curry vs Leonard comparison today. More to the game than scoring.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
I'm getting old. Don't really care anymore about these lists.

No sweetie just smart.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

That list is garbage. I stopped reading when I saw Isiah at #35, with Iverson right in front of him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
I think Pippen at his peak had a higher value. Curry is the better scorer. Pippen was better at everything else. Kinda like a Curry vs Leonard comparison today. More to the game than scoring.

A direct comparison between two players' specific abilities isn't particularly relevant to an all-time list. Curry was the best player in the league (or at least top 2-3) at his peak. Pippen might have been top 5-10 at his peak.

Pippen is hard to judge because he was linked with Jordan. He had one good season when Jordan was playing baseball, but then he embarrassed himself in the playoffs with the Kukoc incident. After Jordan retired, Pippen never did all that much, but on the other hand he was getting up in years.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
That list is garbage. I stopped reading when I saw Isiah at #35, with Iverson right in front of him.

Isiah and Iverson are both polarizing. I would probably put Thomas a little higher, but not much. I really don't know what I'd do with Iverson.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

LeBron at #2
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

I love their explanation for Paul Pierce and CP3, which was basically "not sure why we rank them here because they never did much, but we think their good".
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

A direct comparison between two players' specific abilities isn't particularly relevant to an all-time list. Curry was the best player in the league (or at least top 2-3) at his peak. Pippen might have been top 5-10 at his peak.

I disagree. Curry wouldn't have been a top 2-3 player in any season Pippen played. When comparing players from two completely different era's I think it's best to look at their actual skills. I also don't think Curry was the best player in the league at any point, or even top 2-3. He just won MVP's, similar to Nash. He's never been better than LeBron or Durant. He didn't look better than Kyrie last year when they went head up. Etc.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Pippen is hard to judge because he was linked with Jordan. He had one good season when Jordan was playing baseball, but then he embarrassed himself in the playoffs with the Kukoc incident. After Jordan retired, Pippen never did all that much, but on the other hand he was getting up in years.

Pippen had the back injury in 98 and wasn't the same. I wouldn't say he never did all that much post Jordan though. He did almost get to the Finals in Portland.

I don't think Pippen is hard to judge at all. Similar to Kobe playing with Shaq, it was obvious he was good enough to be a top option. And when he got his shot he looked like one of the best players in basketball.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Isiah and Iverson are both polarizing. I would probably put Thomas a little higher, but not much. I really don't know what I'd do with Iverson.

Isiah led teams to two titles, and beat Magic, Jordan and Bird along the way. I don't see how half those guys are ahead of him.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Isiah led teams to two titles, and beat Magic, Jordan and Bird along the way. I don't see how half those guys are ahead of him.

Not sure if you remember but Magic played 1 full game in the 89' Finals. Not to mention Byron Scott missed it all.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I love their explanation for Paul Pierce and CP3, which was basically "not sure why we rank them here because they never did much, but we think their good".

Those 2 and Dwight over Worthy... not right
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

That's the Isiah hype machine. The media loved him, and he was a brilliant self promoter. He was a pretty good player, for sure, but not one of the all-time greats. Chauncey Billups led the Pistons to one title (and within one game of a second title), and beat Shaq, Kobe, and Lebron. Isiah was a better player than Billups, but otherwise the analogy is right on point. Being the leader of a championship team does not make you an all-time great.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: