Cousins traded to Pelicans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

Lets see what Stephen A. Smith has to say about this....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Vivek Ranadivé has failed us

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

he's in full on kwa-may mode. and rightfully so.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

If SAS thinks it was a bad trade, that means the Kings made the right move.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Do you think it was a good or bad trade? I think it was good for NO. SAS's personality and loud mouth shouldn't detract from his BBIQ.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Remembering Showtime wrote:
Sac wanted BI. We said no.

We're fully committed to the Ingrown bust wagon. Lord help us get rid of poor man's Jonathan Bender.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

I feel bad for Buddy Hield.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
K2 wrote:
Looks like Sac fans might just momentarily stop whining about 2002 Game 6 as they're declaring Vlade as the "Worst GM ever."

Might be the worst assist made by Vlade since the deflection to Horry.....

Vlade's "gifts" to Sac tend to keep on giving years and years after the fact.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Do you think it was a good or bad trade? I think it was good for NO. SAS's personality and loud mouth shouldn't detract from his BBIQ.

SAS's BBIQ? All I ever hear from him is either Captain Obvious stuff or idiocy.

You have to look at this trade in the larger context. This summer, Cousins was going to be demanding a five-year extension for $209M. If you were the Kings, would you give it to him? I wouldn't. He isn't a guy I would want to build a franchise around. So they punted him to the Pelicans, who can offer him a max of 5 years/$180M next summer. Cousins just lost a potential of $30M. More importantly, the Pelicans have to hope that Cousins will sign with them, or else all they get is a rental.

Anyway, the Kings needed to make a call: build around Cousins, or start over. They picked the latter. The ugly truth is starting to emerge in some of the media reports: Not that many teams were interested in Cousins, and the ones that were interested were making lowball offers. It was a buyers' market. Why? The same reasons I just stated. Cousins and his agents desperately wanted to get the $209M from the Kings, so they put the word out that he wouldn't sign with any team that traded for him. So if you trade for Cousins, your best case scenario is that you get to give an enormous contract to a guy who may not be worth it, and your worst case scenario is that you are just getting a rental.

Anyway, it's easy to criticize this deal when you look at the basketball talent going back and forth, but that is only one axis on the NBA diagram. If the Kings didn't pull the trigger, they were facing a scenario this summer where Cousins says "Give me the $209M extension, or I walk in a year." In fact, one of my first thoughts was to wonder why the Kings didn't wait until the summer if this is the best offer they could get. I think what I just said is the answer to the question.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

im hoping NOLA makes the playoffs...
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
K2 wrote:
Looks like Sac fans might just momentarily stop whining about 2002 Game 6 as they're declaring Vlade as the "Worst GM ever."

Might be the worst assist made by Vlade since the deflection to Horry.....

Vlade's "gifts" to Sac tend to keep on giving years and years after the fact.

Vlade was secretly our trojan horse during the first Phil era and still is.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

You have to look at this trade in the larger context. This summer, Cousins was going to be demanding a five-year extension for $209M. If you were the Kings, would you give it to him? I wouldn't. He isn't a guy I would want to build a franchise around. So they punted him to the Pelicans, who can offer him a max of 5 years/$180M next summer. Cousins just lost a potential of $30M. More importantly, the Pelicans have to hope that Cousins will sign with them, or else all they get is a rental.

Anyway, the Kings needed to make a call: build around Cousins, or start over. They picked the latter. The ugly truth is starting to emerge in some of the media reports: Not that many teams were interested in Cousins, and the ones that were interested were making lowball offers. It was a buyers' market. Why? The same reasons I just stated. Cousins and his agents desperately wanted to get the $209M from the Kings, so they put the word out that he wouldn't sign with any team that traded for him. So if you trade for Cousins, your best case scenario is that you get to give an enormous contract to a guy who may not be worth it, and your worst case scenario is that you are just getting a rental.

Anyway, it's easy to criticize this deal when you look at the basketball talent going back and forth, but that is only one axis on the NBA diagram. If the Kings didn't pull the trigger, they were facing a scenario this summer where Cousins says "Give me the $209M extension, or I walk in a year." In fact, one of my first thoughts was to wonder why the Kings didn't wait until the summer if this is the best offer they could get. I think what I just said is the answer to the question.

Who are we kidding....this is the Kings we are talking about. Theres a reason why superstar players don't go to that franchise unless they are drafted or traded there. It will be much easier to get rid of somebody like DMC than to get another superstar player to Sacramento to be the future of that franchise....oh well I guess they will be reliving memories of the C-Webb era for the next decade or more....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

OK. I think it's going to be good for NO if he can play with Davis. Thursday won't tell much. I give them this season to gel, next to make a move.

SAS has been in the business for 20 years or more. I think he has strong knowledge. I don't let his shtick clot my hearing what he has to say. Different strokes.

Not my money so I didn't factor it. I'd give him a max contract. Maybe not in Sacramento. It doesn't look like that's a good place for him. Lets wait and see in NO.

For reasons unknown when players leave Sac they thrive e.g. Biyombo, Whiteside, Isaiah Thomas

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

The Kings drafted Biyombo, Whiteside, Cousins and Isaiah Thomas and lost ALL of them. That's pretty awful.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Dorray wrote:
The Kings drafted Biyombo, Whiteside, Cousins and Isaiah Thomas and lost ALL of them. That's pretty awful.

I think once Cousins plays in a new environment he will thrive , whether it be New Orleans or another team in the future. The Kings environment has been toxic for years.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Dorray wrote:

I think once Cousins plays in a new environment he will thrive , whether it be New Orleans or another team in the future. The Kings environment has been toxic for years.

Don't forget WCS and Skal, both of whom have been terrible.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Its easy to blame everything on Cousins, but when you realize that the Kings have gone thru ownership changes, potential relocation year after year, multiple GM's and coaches thru the years, that kind of instability doesn't breed success, not to mention you don't have a singular vision of where the direction of the franchise is going.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject:

An NBA 2K developer tells Isaiah Thomas that their game would have vetoed this deal.

Linky.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Didn't want Cousins, but it still hurts to see another big name free agent snub the purple and gold.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Didn't want Cousins, but it still hurts to see another big name free agent snub the purple and gold.

He's not a free agent he was traded......

Coach Wooden
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

100% Agree!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Does Shaq still own a minor share of the Kings? Wonder what he thinks of this move...
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Dorray wrote:

Hasn't he already been thriving? Dude's a (bleep) monster.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
Hammett wrote:

He's not a free agent he was traded......

Yup. He'll be an UFA after next season, so we'll see if he snubs the Lakers, if we even go after him.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Does Shaq still own a minor share of the Kings? Wonder what he thinks of this move...

Yes he does.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: