Ding: Magic's Damning Case Against Jim and Mitch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:
pmacla wrote:
if there is one thing in all the hit pieces the past few weeks that maybe apparent is that Mitch though great at maintaining and retooling a Championship team, is not great at rebuilding from rock bottom.

I don't see it that way at all. Mitch and Jim have been great at drafting. Jeanie, on the other hand, has behaved like an idiot.

lets be honest... they drafted well getting Zubac, Nance and Clarkson. D'Angelo, Randle and Ingram fell into their laps, the monkey at the zoo would have made the same picks.

Actually D'Angelo was a surprise pick. Okafar was the default choice.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

tnell wrote:
Quote:
Lakers Name Earvin "Magic" Johnson President of Basketball Operations

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers Governor Jeanie Buss announced today that the team has named Earvin "Magic" Johnson as President of Basketball Operations. In addition, General Manager Mitch Kupchak has been relieved of his duties, effective immediately. Furthermore, Jim Buss will no longer hold his role as Lakers Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations.

"Today I took a series of actions I believe will return the Lakers to the heights Dr. Jerry Buss demanded and our fans rightly expect," Jeanie Buss said. "Effective immediately, Earvin Johnson will be in charge of all basketball operations and will report directly to me. Our search for a new General Manager to work with Earvin and Coach Luke Walton is well underway and we hope to announce a new General Manager in short order. Together, Earvin, Luke and our new General Manager will establish the foundation for the next generation of Los Angeles Lakers greatness."

"It's a dream come true to return to the Lakers as President of Basketball Operations working closely with Jeanie Buss and the Buss family," said Earvin "Magic" Johnson. "Since 1979, I've been a part of the Laker Nation and I'm passionate about this organization. I will do everything I can to build a winning culture on and off the court. We have a great coach in Luke Walton and good young players. We will work tirelessly to return our Los Angeles Lakers to NBA champions."

Jeanie Buss added, "I took these actions today to achieve one goal: Everyone associated with the Lakers will now be pulling in the same direction, the direction established by Earvin and myself. We are determined to get back to competing to win NBA championships again."

Regarding Mitch Kupchak, Jeanie Buss stated, "We are grateful for the many contributions Mitch has made to the Lakers over the years and we wish him all the best."

With regard to fellow owner and brother, Jim Buss, Ms. Buss said, "Jim loves the Lakers. Although he will no longer be responsible for basketball personnel decisions, he is an owner of this team and we share the same goal: returning the Lakers to the level of greatness our father demanded. Our fans deserve no less."

In addition to the changes made within the basketball department, the Lakers also announced they have parted ways with John Black who had been the Lakers Vice President of Public Relations. Chief Operating Officer Tim Harris will immediately begin a search for a replacement. Jeanie Buss added, "We thank John for his many years of service."

For further media inquiries contact Alison Bogli at 310/426-6002 or abogli (@) la-lakers.com

And there it is. Wonder how this impacts trade deadline.

Can't say timing of this is all that great but it was inevitable.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:
pmacla wrote:
if there is one thing in all the hit pieces the past few weeks that maybe apparent is that Mitch though great at maintaining and retooling a Championship team, is not great at rebuilding from rock bottom.

I don't see it that way at all. Mitch and Jim have been great at drafting. Jeanie, on the other hand, has behaved like an idiot.

lets be honest... they drafted well getting Zubac, Nance and Clarkson. D'Angelo, Randle and Ingram fell into their laps, the monkey at the zoo would have made the same picks.

There are plenty of folks who would have picked Okafor, Magic being one of them. Randle was picked 7th, so he wasn't a no brainer either.

Yeah, of Randle, Russell and Ingram, Ingram was really the only consensus choice.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

Now we know why he was asked to write this article yesterday.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

I guess this was not fake news.

If this is just a glimpse of Jim Buss moves and thinking, I understand why he was relieved immediately.

YIKES.

Last edited by laker4life on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:
pmacla wrote:

I believe a lot of the zoo monkeys at LG were slobbering over Okafor instead of D'Angelo.
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

Ding nailed it. Boom.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

Jeanie Ding
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

Mission accomplished.

!...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

I dont think Jeanie can make it any more obvious that she faciliated this hit piece for today's moves. Reeks of incompetence. Not a fan of Jim but Jeanie makes him look like a genius when it comes to basketball decisions.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject:

Garbage shill.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

Having Howard, Gasol, Kobe and Nash at the time was a far better scenario than Paul, Kobe and Gasol. Obviously we know how it turned out, but silly to place blame in hindsight.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

What are the odds that Ding replaces John Black?
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
I have no problems with the article. Jim and Mitch have driven this great franchise the ground and deserve to get lambasted like this. Lots of facts in this article shedding more light on the poor decision making and leadership from Mitch and Jim. I can't wait until they're gone hopefully after this season

I think it should be noted that this is a business, and a very lucrative one at that. Nobody is "entitled" to be a part of this business. Either you produce, or you are gone. This model, in various forms, is a common staple in American entrepreneurship, and has been since the early 1900's. Jim/Mitch didn't produce, regardless of whether or not they are to be faulted. Their fate is justified.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

It took Jerry West 10 years to get the Lakers another title after Showtime. Only been 6 for Mitch. Granted West brought Shaq and Kobe.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Hit piece or not, someone needed to answer for: 19-39 (this season), 17-65 (2016), 21-61 (2015) and 27-55 (2014)

That is unacceptable performance by any standard and it doesn't appear the future is bright either.

Mitch was lucky the organization was as patient as they were with him because he has done a miserable job the last 5 years and making a change was the obvious and correct decision.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Were Out Of Touch With Players

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 9m9 minutes ago

Many agents said the Lakers were out of touch with what players wanted in pitch meetings. That likely wouldn't be the case with Rob Pelinka.

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/834129636443447296
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Should I hold my breath for a Kevin Ding article about the heartlessness of all of these firings like the ones he penned about Rudy the equipment manager?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Sacre though....
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:
Lakers Were Out Of Touch With Players

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 9m9 minutes ago

Many agents said the Lakers were out of touch with what players wanted in pitch meetings. That likely wouldn't be the case with Rob Pelinka.

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/834129636443447296

This is what most fans criticizing the move don't seem to understand. This has been common knowledge for years now. A change had to be made.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Looking forward to Ding's insider articles over the next few years.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Looking forward to Ding's insider articles over the next few years.

he definitely paid for them. funny that he didn't even get the pelinka scoop first though.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
it's time... no more losing Whiteside over Sacre... no more lazy draftees... no more skipping on bigs because of guys like Mr. Roy Hibbert... no more missing out on CP3 because of Bynum... no more missing out on Cousins because they want to "stand pat"

1. So every other NBA team that passed on Hassan isn't mentioned, i.e. the Kings that drafted him then let him go? That's an institutional (NBA) rather than Lakers criticism.

2. "lazy draftees," no idea what that means. I presume this is your continuing crusade against DLO. That doesn't even deserve a response.

3. What bigs did we skip on b/c of Hibbert? Okafor? The one being traded for peanuts?

4. How do you know that Bynum (with major injury histories and such) would satisfy the NBA (de facto owners of Hornets)?

5. Presumably Magic, the team's advisor, was also part of the conversation and ultimate decision. Boogie was eventually traded for Hield b/c of the owner's ridiculous infatuation with Buddy Hield.

are these your top 5 best excuses for them dropping the ball at at every turn? geez lol

I don't care about other teams missing on top prospects... I do care about the Lakers picking guys like Hibbert or Mozgov over better bigs, or clinging on to their pet projects over legitimate NBA talent, or drafting based on some shady metrics that blow up in their faces.

they've been terrible and fortunately, their run of (bleep) the bed has come to a stop. but by all means, go ahead and continue living in your fantasy filled NBA fandom, the good news is Jeannie woke up and pulled the plug on Kupchak and Jim. better CEOs have been fired for much less, how much more guys crapping sub-30 win seasons.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Sacre though....

word around was that never mind about Sacre... Jim Buss got Hibbert to back him up. rofl
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
https://twitter.com/LakerFilmRoom/status/833771288661352448

There's a LOT of revisionist history going on with Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak and it's really unfair.

It's like people totally disregard the fact that the two fo them built a championship team that went to 3 straight finals and won 2 of them. People act as if Jim only took over when Dr Buss died even though he was head of basketball operations LONG before that. In fact when the Lakers were rebuilding back in the mid 2000's Jim and Mitch were blamed for not doing anything (just like now). They built a championship team but people now refuse to give them credit for it.

The CP3 deal was praised for being a master stroke and now all of a sudden it's Mitch and Jim's fault that the deal didn't work even though the League totally screwed them and Jeanie at the time didn't put up much of a fight to make things right.

The deals for Dwight and Nash were almost universally praised at the time and nobody could have predicted how terribly things would turn out. The only mistake they made in that scenario was the coaches they hired (Mike Brown then Mike D'Antoni).

Mitch and Jim have definitely made their fair share of mistakes, but the fact that the NBA landscape has been shifting underneath their feet has been ignored. The Lakers weren't the only team affected, but they're the only team that's expected to turn nothing into a dynasty overnight.

That is partly true but the biggest reason to dump the fellas is they were too tied to the guys that they drafted or brought on in FA and couldn't admit defeat. They did good wth late round guys and brining guys like Black and TRob in. Of course they wasted any minor TRob value by allowing him to be benched the past few weeks. But of every one of those there is a Deng example that makes you question if rebuilding was Mitch and Jim's forte.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: