Magic Johnson New Pres of BBall Ops - Mitch and Jim Officially Fired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Funny thing I'm noticing on Spectrum postgame, 710, and Magic's comments in his mid-game interview... Everyone is preaching patience now with the rebuild and the Lou Will trade, but this is the same thing Mitch and Jim did.

So is it Jeanie controlling the narrative on Spectrum, or is Magic kind of already doing a better job communicating patience and a direction than Mitch and Jim did?

I think the answer is... both. I was always kind of annoyed by how Mitch and Jim avoided the media like the plague instead of using it to their advantage.

So, everyone is patient now!
well its not jim or mitch's fault. its actually the fans.

the only reason the fans are patient NOW. and now means at the moment. is because they got their wish. "fire someone"

the lakers did that. so their guts are full now. if their guts get emtpy again after a nice period after this meal. the same fans will be impatient again.

I half agree. Laker fans are some of the worst in the sport, no question. We've had 16 championships and 20 years of Kobe. We were due for some bad years one way or another, let's chill

That being said... Man, Mitch and Jim did themselves absolutely NO favors in this department. Jim's self-imposed timeline is one of the dumbest publicity stunts I can fathom. Mitch and Jim avoided the media instead of using it to control the narrative. Jim hardly EVER took interviews, and that's to a fault. Mitch takes interviews and says a lot of words without actually saying anything. They never really sold the fanbase on a "rebuild." Fans were sort of kept in the dark about what the team was really trying to do. Sell a rebuild like Philly did, like Minny and the Bucks did! Make rebuilding fun, it's possible! Every offseason Mitch would sort of noncomittedly talk about the team maybe making the playoffs.

Magic comes in from the start and refuses to answer questions about how long it'll take to get back to competing, other than "it'll be a while" and stresses patience. This is better than essentially radio silence from Jim and occasional mixed messages from Mitch. This was the first offseason where Mitch actually shut down playoff talks. It starts at the top. Be consistent and communicate the direction. Mitch and Jim were not good at this.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I'm a Mitch fan and am peeved they let him go. But Magic is doing precisely what Jim failed to do which is build a narrative. We all know Jim had Jeanie to contend with as well as the need to fight the nepotism stigma. But in three days Magic has done more to build a narrative than Jim did in four plus years.

Jim refused to put himself out there, perhaps because he was scared of the criticism that comes along with it or perhaps because his ego got in the way. But he let Jeanie do what she did because he didn't stay out in front of it (and when he did give interviews it was usually a train wreck).

Exactly.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject:

Deng and Mozgov's contracts were the coffin nail, I'm assuming.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Funny thing I'm noticing on Spectrum postgame, 710, and Magic's comments in his mid-game interview... Everyone is preaching patience now with the rebuild and the Lou Will trade, but this is the same thing Mitch and Jim did.

So is it Jeanie controlling the narrative on Spectrum, or is Magic kind of already doing a better job communicating patience and a direction than Mitch and Jim did?

I think the answer is... both. I was always kind of annoyed by how Mitch and Jim avoided the media like the plague instead of using it to their advantage.

the only reason the fans are patient NOW. and now means at the moment. is because they got their wish. "fire someone"

the lakers did that. so their guts are full now. if their guts get emtpy again after a nice period after this meal. the same fans will be impatient again.

I half agree. Laker fans are some of the worst in the sport, no question. We've had 16 championships and 20 years of Kobe. We were due for some bad years one way or another, let's chill

That being said... Man, Mitch and Jim did themselves absolutely NO favors in this department. Jim's self-imposed timeline is one of the dumbest publicity stunts I can fathom. Mitch and Jim avoided the media instead of using it to control the narrative. Jim hardly EVER took interviews, and that's to a fault. Mitch takes interviews and says a lot of words without actually saying anything. They never really sold the fanbase on a "rebuild." Fans were sort of kept in the dark about what the team was really trying to do. Sell a rebuild like Philly did, like Minny and the Bucks did! Make rebuilding fun, it's possible! Every offseason Mitch would sort of noncomittedly talk about the team maybe making the playoffs.

Magic comes in from the start and refuses to answer questions about how long it'll take to get back to competing, other than "it'll be a while" and stresses patience. This is better than essentially radio silence from Jim and occasional mixed messages from Mitch. This was the first offseason where Mitch actually shut down playoff talks. It starts at the top. Be consistent and communicate the direction. Mitch and Jim were not good at this.

The timeline was what Jim exchanged for keeping Phil Jackson out of the FO (and possibly replacing Mitch). What was dumb was going public with it. To be fair to Mitch, he had to dance around the issue of Kobe for years, and since Kobe's retirement his message about developing the young talent was basically the same as now. But I agree that he didn't have the charisma to make anyone care to listen.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

The bolded is exactly right. Mitch would talk about contending for a playoff spot every off season, and it made him and Jim look horrible when not only we weren't, but were also setting franchise records for fewest wins season after season. Jim committing to contending for the WCFs was also idiotic. When they set lofty goals year after year and we end up a bottom three team instead, they look incredibly incompetent. This offseason was the first time they acknowledged the rebuild and Mitch was careful not to mention the playoffs, but they also blew a ton of money on four year deals to two players who didn't fit that narrative either. As an outsider, it's pretty easy to assume they're wildly incompetent at their job and accumulated assets because they failed so spectacularly we lucked into having the lottery balls fall our way. And it sounds like EVERYONE in the Laker organization besides Mitch, Jim, and maybe Glenn were outsiders since they were so insular, so even if they had some sort of master plan, it looked like to everyone else they were just kind of flailing around, hoping for something to stick and for someone of note to please come take our money.

Heck, even their most positive aspect, which was finding some nice talent with our later picks could be attributed to the work of the scouting department with both West and the younger Buss siblings contributing to that, and those guys were retained. Pretty easy to see how Jeanie might conclude it would be better to get competent people with an actual plan in their positions who could also benefit from the scouting department than to hold on to the guys who presided over the worst four year stretch in franchise history.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Tania GanguliVerified account‏@taniaganguli 20h20 hours ago

Magic Johnson took the coaching staff out to dinner last night. Part of getting acquainted with everyone.
1 reply 21 retweets 33 likes
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/03/10/magic-johnson-says-hell-resign-as-lakers-president-if-i-cant-do-the-job/

Quote:
Magic Johnson says he’ll resign as Lakers president ‘if I can’t do the job’

New Lakers president Magic Johnson introduced new Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka today in what was supposed to be a fresh start in Los Angeles.

Instead, the new front-office head sounded like the old front-office head.

Jim Buss pledged to re-sign if he didn’t turn the Lakers into a contender. They’ve been stuck in the lottery since, and despite Jim trying to reframe the debate, Jeanie fired him to appoint Johnson.

Now, Johnson is making similar promises.

Serena Winters of Lakers Nation:

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
Follow
Serena Winters @SerenaWinters
Magic Johnson: "If we can’t do our job then I’m going to hand the keys back to Jeanie and step aside."
5:53 PM - 10 Mar 2017
36 36 Retweets 78 78 likes
Johnson didn’t give a timeline, modified or otherwise. He also doesn’t define doing the job.

So, it will be practically impossible to hold him to this standard.

But if the Lakers don’t move forward under his leadership, you can bet this won’t be the last you hear of this pledge.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/03/10/magic-johnson-says-hell-resign-as-lakers-president-if-i-cant-do-the-job/

Quote:

New Lakers president Magic Johnson introduced new Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka today in what was supposed to be a fresh start in Los Angeles.

Jim Buss pledged to re-sign if he didn’t turn the Lakers into a contender. They’ve been stuck in the lottery since, and despite Jim trying to reframe the debate, Jeanie fired him to appoint Johnson.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
Follow
Magic Johnson: "If we can’t do our job then I’m going to hand the keys back to Jeanie and step aside."
Johnson didn’t give a timeline, modified or otherwise. He also doesn’t define doing the job.

But if the Lakers don’t move forward under his leadership, you can bet this won’t be the last you hear of this pledge.

Magic understands that.

Unlike Jimbo Dumbo.

After 4 years of lottery, changes need to be made.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
Follow

Magic understands that.

Unlike Jimbo Dumbo.

If 4 years of no progress is the benchmark then so be it and Magic should be held to the same standard. Since the foundation for the rebuild has already been laid by those 4 years of lottery, simply making it into the 1st round of the playoffs isn't enough.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:

Magic understands that.

Unlike Jimbo Dumbo.

Magic would've done worse dealing with a team with zero assets and dealing with the corpse of Kobe taking 40% of the cap, playing 40% of the games, and having a 40% usage rate when he played.

But hey, "FOUR YEARS OF LOTTERY GUISE!!! WHO CARES ABOUT ASSETS OR ANYTHING!!!!!!"
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

Happy birthday to the greatest point guard ever!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

The man did change the fortunes of Laker basketball.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
epic_ wrote:

The man did change the fortunes of Laker basketball.

Started out with a bang!

Quote:
Magic Johnson's Rookie Season

Starts in the All-Star game
Wins Finals MVP
Wins NBA Championship
Averaged 18 PTS, 7.7 REB, 7.3 AST while playing with Kareem (24.8 PTS) & Norm Nixon (7.9 AST). Most people forget Nixon was the point guard on the Lakers.

💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57
Page 57 of 57
Jump to: