Magic Johnson New Pres of BBall Ops - Mitch and Jim Officially Fired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
What happened to so many people saying that Jeanie couldn't fire Jim, because she needed family votes?

Clearly she got the votes. I was starting to get that idea as more and more articles kept quoting Jesse and Joey Buss as being promising talents in the Lakers' org. And it sounds like they're going to get some kind of promotions or larger roles.

So that still happened.. ok.. happened quick as (bleep). bing, boom, outta here

Well, my guess, and just a guess, is that the discussions were had a while ago, prior to Magic being brought in. Magic being brought in was simply the first bomb to drop so to speak.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
What happened to so many people saying that Jeanie couldn't fire Jim, because she needed family votes?

Ha ha. I know. Was shouted down numerous times by people 'in the know' saying basically the exact opposite of all that just happened today.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Bummed to see Mitch go but I like the Pelinka hire. I'm more happy to see the the product of nepotism, Jim Buss gone. Now he can go back to heading other failed businesses that his shoddy resume is littered with. And he can take Chaz with him.

The whole franchise is fueled on nepotism, narcissism, and sibling rivalry. That doesn't change with Jim deposed.

Yes, they did not even interview qualified people for the Head of Basketball Operations or GM. They just gave those away according the the whims of a sabotaging owner.

I've always wondered who does she know? Who's in her ear? Who's going to help her identify talent for those positions. Who does she seek advice from? There's only two names.. Phil Jackson and Magic Johnson, and since both of those guys want the job, there will be no interviews. Because when she seeks their counsel, they angle for themselves.
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

So Jeanie got the votes from the trust to outlast Jim,but somewhere in the future that could very well reverse and happen to her.
Watch out Jeanie,what goes around comes around
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

Bill Oram usually doesnt write hit pieces dont know if anyone posted this but if this was image of Jim amongst the league and players I see why a change had to be made

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/buss-744673-lakers-jeanie.html
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Ha ha. I know. Was shouted down numerous times by people 'in the know' saying basically the exact opposite of all that just happened today.

From a Ramona tweet "Jim Buss had retained a lawyer but provisions governing the family trust very clearly gave Jeanie Buss the authority to make these moves."

Which basically said Jeanie didn't need the votes - she had the authority outright.

Although, as another poster suggested, this was probably a long time coming and all (or most) of the kids were probably already on board with it.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Bummed to see Mitch go but I like the Pelinka hire. I'm more happy to see the the product of nepotism, Jim Buss gone. Now he can go back to heading other failed businesses that his shoddy resume is littered with. And he can take Chaz with him.

The whole franchise is fueled on nepotism, narcissism, and sibling rivalry. That doesn't change with Jim deposed.

Yes, they did not even interview qualified people for the Head of Basketball Operations or GM. They just gave those away according the the whims of a sabotaging owner.

what are you watching....sabotaging owner wow
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Yup. I don't trust anyone on here as being a true insider except Larry Coon.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Bill Oram usually doesnt write hit pieces dont know if anyone posted this but if this was image of Jim amongst the league and players I see why a change had to be made

Oram is a good writer. Will read this now.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Yeah that was a good article. The Aldridge stuff is damning. It's a shame because I actually think he set us up well, but it seems like he stumbled his way there.

Also, Jeanie comes off like a naive idiot in this brief piece -- not sure if that's the intention.

Quote:
She knew this day was coming. Jeanie Buss had leaned on confidants, seeking guidance on how to reinvigorate the wayward franchise. And when she got to Johnson, he told her what she wanted to hear.

Man, what I'd do to get rid of the Buss children altogether.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/presidual/status/834614724528476160

Some very well thoughts on areas the Lakers need to improve to obtain a competitive advantage across the NBA. With the resources we have, there aren't any excuses.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject:

BScott continues his trash talk also. No class at all. His history is ruined and I had even accepted he was a bad coach.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
BScott continues his trash talk also. No class at all. His history is ruined and I had even accepted he was a bad coach.

What did he say?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I don't know when or if we'll get clarity on that. Ramona's report suggests that Jeanie had the power the whole time. But other reporters suggested it'd take a group vote necessary. Any case it was no hold up whatsoever
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I think this may be a good thing. I know I'll miss Mitch, he did bring us some rings. But...this is also the GM that sat on his hands when Shaq left and got us a pretty bad trade. And also the guy that when things are going extremely well didn't break up the team. And if it is so that Magic did the Lou trade like Mitch couldn't even do a trade like that? I don't know I feel like this might be a good thing. But I also fear the old type of thinking of trading young assets for 1-2 year rentals and trying to prove to them to stay.

Magic will help with this, but I also think mortgaging the future like some want here for a superstar could be detrimental. There is no guarantees that someone will join someone like PG. Plus, I think if the Front office wants him, just wait. DLO, PG13 and Ingram sound a lot better. Imagine that defense. That's why any trade with Ingram for PG is dumb. PG can teach him the defense that he needs to learn. And those two can defend the best players. Remember with Golden state, cavs, and all these teams having 2-4 guys that light you up. It's better to have better defenders and the havoc that all 3 with Dlo's length as well would be amazing!
Timbuktu
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject:

why is magic being compared in the media to GMs?

hes the president of basketball ops, not a GM
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
tox wrote:
pmacla wrote:

Yeah that was a good article. The Aldridge stuff is damning. It's a shame because I actually think he set us up well, but it seems like he stumbled his way there.

Also, Jeanie comes off like a naive idiot in this brief piece -- not sure if that's the intention.

Quote:
She knew this day was coming. Jeanie Buss had leaned on confidants, seeking guidance on how to reinvigorate the wayward franchise. And when she got to Johnson, he told her what she wanted to hear.

Man, what I'd do to get rid of the Buss children altogether.

If the decision was up to me, I would've given Jim and Mitch another season and a half to turn things around. I'm happy with our last 3 drafts. And there was a chance we could've stayed pat, kept Lou, and still kept our top 3 pick.
Then, even if we're no better in the standings in 2018, bring in new management. And the new management has young pieces that are more developed (than now). Meaning better assets to keep or move.
It feels like we switched strategies mid-plan.

But even though I don't agree with certain decisions, it's Purple & Gold over everything! I'm rooting for the new regime to exceed expectations.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

What did he say?

Just saw on tube... I think a show called the jump?

Just the usual asking the inside guy about the firing...

BScott paraphrased "for me, a lot of the time, they (Mitch and Jim) were never on the same page and pulling in different directions"

So twisted Magics "same page" comments which referred to Jeanie and operations. Not Jim and Mitch. But used it anyways to support his own selfish point. Bad listening skills, bad understanding, bad angle to take, poor response.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

What did he say?

Just saw on tube... I think a show called the jump?

Just the usual asking the inside guy about the firing...

BScott paraphrased "for me, a lot of the time, they (Mitch and Jim) were never on the same page and pulling in different directions"

So twisted Magics "same page" comments which referred to Jeanie and operations. Not Jim and Mitch. But used it anyways to support his own selfish point. Bad listening skills, bad understanding, bad angle to take, poor response.
Byron's IQ rivals his win total as Lakers coach. I don't worry about what he says
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

If the decision was up to me, I would've given Jim and Mitch another season and a half to turn things around. I'm happy with our last 3 drafts. And there was a chance we could've stayed pat, kept Lou, and still kept our top 3 pick.
Then, even if we're no better in the standings in 2018, bring in new management. And the new management has young pieces that are more developed (than now). Meaning better assets to keep or move.

I agree, but they didn't switch strategies. The strategy (grow through the draft unless a great deal presents itself) hasn't changed. Magic and Jeanie are simply going to claim credit for the fruits of the turnaround that Jim and Mitch started.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I agree, but they didn't switch strategies. The strategy (grow through the draft unless a great deal presents itself) hasn't changed. Magic and Jeanie are simply going to claim credit for the fruits of the turnaround that Jim and Mitch started.

According to Dingie Buss, the family had agreed to save the cap space for a star player. They felt Jimmy went against the family's wishes and acted selfishly when he made the horrible signings of Moz/Deng. So, the strategy did change.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

Timbuktu wrote:

For the same reason Jim Buss was. Every player/coach decision good or bad will fall on him now.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

Timbuktu wrote:

Agreed. It is amazing how dense some in the media are.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Oh man, this doesn't ease my fears. Here are some talent evaluation nuggets from Magic.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/magic-johnsons-old-tweets-reveal-some-pretty-questionable-player-evaluation-skills/

He's already blown his first trade by getting a lower first round pick than possible, and getting stuck with Brewer. Opposing GMs are salivating at the prospect of trading with Magic.

And what deal did he turn down that was better? Because the Wiz clearly wanted Nicholson attached to their pick, that they also protected, in their trade. Reports are that the Houston trade was the best offer the Lakers had on the table, everyone else wanted to attach longer term contracts than Brewer or wanted protections on their pick. Demand for Lou was likely much weaker than we hoped, which makes sense since he's pretty much a known quantity. There's a reason why a sixth man of the year was available to us at a bargain contract, and teams obviously remembered why. He can score, but his defense is awful, and even though His numbers are great this year, I'm sure that teams were apprehensive that it's because he got to dominate the ball on a bad team. It's pretty clear that teams wanted Lou, but not at any real risk to themselves.
bum2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Timbuktu wrote:

Agreed. It is amazing how dense some in the media are.
Nobody believes that he won't have his fingertips on everything. So his official title doesnt matter.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 55 of 57
Jump to: