It'll never happen... But I'll say it. I want Magic to hire Hinkie.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: It'll never happen... But I'll say it. I want Magic to hire Hinkie.

The team needs Moz gone. The team needs Deng gone and an ability to acquire assets boldly.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

Yes, but those clowns are not that smart.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

Do you think the Lakers would be willing to suck for years to come? I'd be all for it, but the team will be looking to contend too quickly.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
Do you think the Lakers would be willing to suck for years to come? I'd be all for it, but the team will be looking to contend too quickly.

He is smart enough to adapt to what the org want. He was the No2 guy in Houston and they never tanked but were able to build around acquire Harden and build a solid team around him.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

I'd be for it, Hinkie makes Vlade look like trumps hairdresser.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

If Hinkie is called in, hopefully its in an advisory role only; otherwise firing him at precisely the right time would be tricky.

Fire him too soon, and the process is incomplete and we have a Summer League roster. Fire him too late, and he probably trades away the talent for draft picks and the process is prolonged. Embiid probably would've been flipped early in the season under Hinkie, he' would have sold high on the injury-prone Center. After all, Noel has limited trade value in the final year of his rookie deal(on a team with 3 centers), and Okafor hasn't drawn any solid offers, despite the Sixers starting him in an attempt to raise his value.

Hinkie inherited a better situation in Philadelphia than the one he'd be entering here.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

I'm all aboard the Hinkie train. I doubt Magic wants the tanking PR that comes along with him.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
thegreatest wrote:

He is smart enough to adapt to what the org want. He was the No2 guy in Houston and they never tanked but were able to build around acquire Harden and build a solid team around him.

Oh yes, those back-loaded deals for Lin and Asik. Lin was a horrible backcourt mate for Harden. Presti sent Harden there because he knew Houston was no immediate threat.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

Not a chance. Hinkie detested having to report to Coangelo. Would be the same case here but with Magic.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Hinkie is a moron who got lucky.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
petergr wrote:
thegreatest wrote:

Oh yes, those back-loaded deals for Lin and Asik. Lin was a horrible backcourt mate for Harden. Presti sent Harden there because he knew Houston was no immediate threat.

He got 2 solid years of play with Asik and then traded him for a first round pick when they price was getting high.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
petergr wrote:
thegreatest wrote:

He got 2 solid years of play with Asik and then traded him for a first round pick when they price was getting high.

...and lost a first round pick to unload Lin. Lin was such a bad fit and Asik was atrocious, considering his contract and offensive ineptitude.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
No, Hinkie is an exceptionally smart guy who was great at doing what no one else dared to do.

You don't work at Bain, get an MBA from GSB, and even guest lecture at UPenn, Stanford, and Harvard without being smart as hell.

He was not faultless as a GM, but he correctly the most likely way to win (and in fact Magic has said the same thing): be the absolute worst, draft the best, and get to the playoffs that way. And in the meantime, take on bad contracts from desperate teams (see: Sacramento), sell high on flawed prospect (MCW for our pick!!!), and look for serviceable players and sign them for cheap (RoCo).

Hinkie will never be hired here because he has the stench of tanking and the Lakers are a winning organization by Jeanie's vision. There are legit grounds for criticism of how transactional he was. But don't call him a moron because that's a blatant falsehood.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I would support Hinkie...but it may be a little too soon in my honest opinion...I think he will be in demand around 2019.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
petergr wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
petergr wrote:
thegreatest wrote:

...and lost a first round pick to unload Lin. Lin was such a bad fit and Asik was atrocious, considering his contract and offensive ineptitude.

They dumped Lin to make space for a Chris Bosh max contract and then Bosh changed his mind. The pick they traded to Lakers was top 20 protected.

For Asik, they were able to get a pick that was reverse protected: guaranteed to be a top-20 pick. Nobody gives such a first round pick to take an atrocious contract. Pelicans gave him a much bigger contract later...he turned atrocious now...thats another story.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
petergr wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
petergr wrote:
thegreatest wrote:

They dumped Lin to make space for a Chris Bosh max contract and then Bosh changed his mind. The pick they traded to Lakers was top 20 protected.

For Asik, they were able to get a pick that was reverse protected: guaranteed to be a top-20 pick. Nobody gives such a first round pick to take an atrocious contract. Pelicans gave him a much bigger contract later...he turned atrocious now...thats another story.

Hinkie wasnt the top dog in Houston either so I am not sure why that is on his doorstep.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, so do I.

He would get rid of Lou and Young for first round picks on day 1 and may even be clever enough to get us out of those Mozgov and Deng contracts in the process.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

I would take Hinkle in a second.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

You don't win almost every trade by getting lucky, especially when you made a lot of them.

Hinkie turned MCW into the Lakers 1st. He completed destroyed Vlade for taking on 2 bad contracts. He picked up assets at every opportunity.

Now some may argue he tanked for too long, but in reality, the 76ers had to. In the end, if Colanglo doesn't mess this up, the 76ers will be competing for titles within the next 5 years.

I think he would adjust how he did it with the Lakers too - he would go after FA's and develop a team much sooner, but at least we know he is willing to commit to a vision and can execute a plan.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

You don't win almost every trade by getting lucky, especially when you made a lot of them.

Hinkie turned MCW into the Lakers 1st. He completed destroyed Vlade for taking on 2 bad contracts. He picked up assets at every opportunity.

Now some may argue he tanked for too long, but in reality, the 76ers had to. In the end, if Colanglo doesn't mess this up, the 76ers will be competing for titles within the next 10 years.

I think he would adjust how he did it with the Lakers too - he would go after FA's and develop a team much sooner, but at least we know he is willing to commit to a vision and can execute a plan.

I'd say his only big mistake was drafting Okafor, even then he might have duped Ainge into a trade to get one of the Nets picks
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
petergr wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
petergr wrote:
thegreatest wrote:

Asik was a negative on offense, and it negated his defensive efforts, and then some. That was terrible from a chemistry standpoint to clog up the paint when they had Harden. The Pelicans FO was pathetic to offer that deal for him and then extend him.

The draft pick protections were moot. The Rockets 2015 1st rounder was going to be in the 20s, and the Pelicans were a playoff contender.

Last edited by Laker_Dynasty_01 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Now some may argue he tanked for too long, but in reality, the 76ers had to. In the end, if Colanglo doesn't mess this up, the 76ers will be competing for titles within the next 10 years.

I'd say his only big mistake was drafting Okafor, even then he might have duped Ainge into a trade to get one of the Nets picks

Agreed, yet even with missing on the 3rd pick overall, that team has 2 potential superstars and could leave the 2017 draft with another one or even 2.

In 2 years, the Sixers will be scary good.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
bandiger wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Agreed, yet even with missing on the 3rd pick overall, that team has 2 potential superstars and could leave the 2017 draft with another one or even 2.

In 2 years, the Sixers will be scary good.

Sadly not as scary as that team up I-95. Just got scarier now that Lopez is getting dumped.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Would definitely be on board for him as a hands on advisor...pitch it as a meaningful role until he lands another full time gig...guy is real sharp and the poster boy for the new basketball ops Jeannie and Magic mentioned several times on Spectrum.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Jonathan FeigenVerified account
‏@Jonathan_Feigen
Rockets guard Eric Gordon spoke of his agent, Rob Pelinka, becoming Lakers GM as a done deal. "It happened fast."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: