John Black? Why?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Sauces tell me Lawrence Tanter, voice of the Lakers, was let go too. He didn't drop enough subliminal messages to would be free agents during games.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

besides saying "no comment" black doesn't do anything else. glad they canned him. worthless to have him on the salary.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

"John Black fired"?

No comment!
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Sauces tell me Lawrence Tanter, voice of the Lakers, was let go too. He didn't drop enough subliminal messages to would be free agents during games.

Dang. Anyone who wasn't fired?
TAKAHIRO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

because magic and jeanie just want a puppet that will agree with any dumb thing they say. Hell just like at spectrum sportshiet coverage all day today. pretty much magic and jeanie wrote the damn questions themselves
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

DD20045 wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
According to a source of mine, John Black and Kobe Bryant didn't speak for "nearly a decade" then added "I feel bad for John but I'm sure they took care of him." I've heard some rumblings that "he's (bleep) who keeps the press away."

Edit: Should add the last part was from someone else, but that's the consensus of his reputation from a few people.

They say that like it is a bad thing.

Not in the social media era. You've got to establish relationships and help grow the brand and business.

There's a difference there.... Smh

Is that so? Thanks for informing me, man. It's not like I'm basing it on the word from a few colleagues who worked with John Black and were there before he got to the Lakers or anything. Silly me.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
According to a source of mine, John Black and Kobe Bryant didn't speak for "nearly a decade" then added "I feel bad for John but I'm sure they took care of him." I've heard some rumblings that "he's (bleep) who keeps the press away."

Edit: Should add the last part was from someone else, but that's the consensus of his reputation from a few people.

Not in the social media era. You've got to establish relationships and help grow the brand and business.

Yes. People need to know about that obscure NBA team in Los Angeles called the Lakers. If they hire the right PR person, the team might end up being worth somewhere in the high 9 figures.

You do realize that guys like GT and LakerFilmRoom connect with younger audiences who get news/information from places like YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, and blogs, right? You don't think it's important to expand access?

It doesn't matter if your brand is Coca Cola and been around 100 years, you have to keep your marketing and PR with the times, or you end up like the Knicks tweeting screenshots of iOS notes from your official Twitter account.

Last edited by AC Green's V-Card on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Lakers don't have the best image right now. That's PR. Black was VP of PR. Doesn't take a genius to see the connection.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

They have Kevin Ding for getting the Laker message out there. Black just gets in the way.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

it's a shakeup. You fire people and then you bring in your own people.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:

Yes. People need to know about that obscure NBA team in Los Angeles called the Lakers. If they hire the right PR person, the team might end up being worth somewhere in the high 9 figures.

Lol. Cold.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Black is old school, keep the secrets, disseminate the party line, professionally oversee events and player availability and the like. Magic and Jeanie probably want their own narrative and team, with a much more modern outlook. By modern, I mean twitter and reality tv. Along with that, blacks biggest sin is probably not leaking to team jeanie.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
New messaging philosophy I guess. Lakers were well known for being tight lipped. Who knows how things will be going forward.

I think we all know how things will go. The Lakers lost a genuine PR guy who tried to keep the rumor mill in check and now we have two people who just love to Tweet away in social media.

Pretty much
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
New messaging philosophy I guess. Lakers were well known for being tight lipped. Who knows how things will be going forward.

I think we all know how things will go. The Lakers lost a genuine PR guy who tried to keep the rumor mill in check and now we have two people who just love to Tweet away in social media.

Pretty much

The problem with being tight lipped is it allows others to write the narrative for you. The problem with being too talkative is that your agenda can be transparent and/or you look chaotic. The key then is, of course, being the smartest person in the room - manipulating the press to write your narrative without them knowing it. That's what a true PR professional does.

Black (on the tight lipped end) clearly wasn't that. Jeanie (on the loose lips/chaotic end) isn't that either. Hopefully they find someone who is, or you will all be right and we'll be yearning for the Mitch/Black days to return.

City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Pretty much

The problem with being tight lipped is it allows others to write the narrative for you. The problem with being too talkative is that your agenda can be transparent and/or you look chaotic. The key then is, of course, being the smartest person in the room - manipulating the press to write your narrative without them knowing it. That's what a true PR professional does.

Black (on the tight lipped end) clearly wasn't that. Jeanie (on the loose lips/chaotic end) isn't that either. Hopefully they find someone who is, or you will all be right and we'll be yearning for the Mitch/Black days to return.

Maybe we can hit up Kellyanne Conway, i'm sure spinning for the Lakers is easier than spinning for Agent Orange.

!...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Pretty much

Black was great when there wasn't an in house battle. I have heard nothing of him hurting the Lakers in any way. Part of the Lakers mystique going back to the doc buss days was their impermeable fortress. That was a feature, not a bug.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Pretty much

Maybe we can hit up Kellyanne Conway, i'm sure spinning for the Lakers is easier than spinning for Agent Orange.

Very few things will make me stop being a fan of the Lakers. This is one of the few.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Lakers don't have the best image right now. That's PR. Black was VP of PR. Doesn't take a genius to see the connection.

In his defense though it's difficult to have good PR one one of the owners keeps going on TV and throwing the other under the bus. If nothing else at least that period should be over.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

Pretty much

Black was great when there wasn't an in house battle. I have heard nothing of him hurting the Lakers in any way. Part of the Lakers mystique going back to the doc buss days was their impermeable fortress. That was a feature, not a bug.

Maybe a decade or two ago, but not in the current internet age or at the speed at which history is now written. While the Buss' are clearly much to blame for the current perception of this franchise, I'm not sure Black did anything to make the situation better. Further, there is no evidence that the Lakers won't continue to be a franchise full of drama in need of a PR professional with the skills that Black apparently lacked.

Anyway, I think my point is valid, but you could be right about him too.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

I think there was no pr guy who was going to be able to work for both factions simultaneously. That's kind of blaming him for their divide.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think there was no pr guy who was going to be able to work for both factions simultaneously. That's kind of blaming him for their divide.

No one who would be perfect, true. But his style was gas on the flame, IMO. The gossip got out. Instead of managing it, he stood silent.

Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: John Black? Why?

Dr. Laker wrote:
Why did they fire John Black, too?

Because when you clean up the swamp you really clean it up, and you don't leave anything behind
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Chris MannixVerified account
‏@ChrisMannixYS

Follow
More
John Black is as good a PR man as there is in the business. With a high profile team, worked hard to help reporters do their jobs.

Quote:
Lee JenkinsVerified account‏@SI_LeeJenkins 18m18 minutes ago
More
Lee Jenkins Retweeted Chris Mannix
The best.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie Corleone settled scores with all the family's enemies today. Fredo's still part of the family, at least til the next purge. I think John Black was just a bystander. She didn't want to leave any witnesses.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: John Black? Why?

Stumpy25 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Why did they fire John Black, too?

Because when you clean up the swamp you really clean it up, and you don't leave anything behind

So how did you crawl out?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: