Rob Pelinka In As GM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
The top 3 pick this year has more franchise potential than any player we have.

Russell was a better prospect than anyone in this draft not named Fultz, so....no.

Key word.

Wait until they miss.

You might be right actually. Measuring potential is such a hard thing to do, and Russell has great numbers and will only produce more with additional PT.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
The top 3 pick this year has more franchise potential than any player we have.

Russell was a better prospect than anyone in this draft not named Fultz, so....no.

Key word.

Wait until they miss.

You might be right actually. Measuring potential is such a hard thing to do, and Russell has great numbers and will only produce more with additional PT.

Hopefully the Lakers have Russell and one of Fultz/Ball to compare up close.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
Is he officially the GM now? Not sure how I feel about this. I liked Mitch!

I liked Mitch too, but it was time for a change. He has had a great career, seemed like the last few years, he was one step behind everyone else.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
tox wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Look at the successful teams. None of them play a rotation of kids under 25.

Now using some in trades to get established players is a good idea.
Or you build patiently till the kids turn 25+

Ya until they get to 25 and they don't pan out like you thought they would. Then you just wasted 4 years and have to start over again

Except what if they do pan out like you thought they would or more so?

Would sort of be like the Thunder giving up Harden then wouldn't we.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject:

New President of Basketball Operations

New General Manager

New Coach

I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic going forward. I just wish we could've had some other role for Mitch in the front office, although I totally understand if he just wants to retire and relax, he deserves it.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:

New General Manager

New Coach

I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic going forward. I just wish we could've had some other role for Mitch in the front office, although I totally understand if he just wants to retire and relax, he deserves it.

Me too. Except that when I think about what realty changed the laker future basically still hinges on ping pong balls at the end of the day.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
tox wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Or you build patiently till the kids turn 25+

Ya until they get to 25 and they don't pan out like you thought they would. Then you just wasted 4 years and have to start over again
with that thinking. gstate would've never become gstate.

here's the reality people. You are going to have to trust something. you can't second guess every single move. if we keep the kids and let them grow up together. thats gstate. If we move some for older guys thats the old way of doing things. Both ways could work assuming if we moved the kids we moved them for the right top level talent. not just allstars. but i'm talking 1A and 1B players. and non over the hill. 28 at the oldest.

no old heads. sorry. we've tried that already. didnt work well for us. so time to go a bit younger. but who's going to give us their franchise player?

and which franchise player is going to leave all that money on the table?

these are the same issues that jim, mitch had.

A-(bleep)-men
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject:

I cant say anything about Pelinka.

I was hoping for someone with experience in this role. But again if guy have it than experience is not the problem. He is in basketball for long time as agent and agents are well aware of everything what's happening around.

So my support as Laker fan is there completely. Fresh start.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:

New General Manager

New Coach

Lakers starting anew.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject:

So who gets to sit at the stupid podium during the draft lottery? Pelinka or Magic?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
Are we seriously To the point we get excited for a bottom 5 pick?? I understand the whole youth movement thing but adding more youth to this team isn't going to help out the growth of Russell and Ingram..

We are going to lose, and lose a lot. And for a basketball player, losing isn't a good habit to learn and grow from.

The pick is pretty much useless.

Ya clarkson, zubac, blah blah... yes it's possible to get talent late but far less likely.

It's easy to look past the fact that just because a late first round pick might be good on a bad team doesn't mean they are a player that will succeed on a good team

Blah blah blah, you are waaayyyyy too emotional.

There are two high first round picks dependent on us being a bottom 3 team. That is where we are right now, and since we have ZERO chance of making the playoffs, we should not risk losing BOTH these draft picks.

Now that we have a FO that hasn't been blacklisted by the players, we should be able to sign FA's and even perhaps make some trades. Thing is, if we can land a couple more solid young players, it gives us some good trade pieces within a couple of years. Simply rolling with what we had, was not going to get us into the playoffs, let alone winning championships.

The last guys dug us a hole to hell, nowhere left to go but up.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject:

Do it Pelinka! nah man i will not get used to that. Miss Mitch already
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

We aren't going to win anything in the next couple of years, and by the time we do win, Lou would have either been too old or he would have left on his own accord, like Pau did, and leave us with nothing.

In the meantime, we are building up our draft picks which is going to lead to redundant talent and some really good solid players we can trade.

Young studs with upside have value in this league. We will make trades, but we need the bodies to make the trades and we don't want to trade away all our young guys and have nobody left for the new players we trade for to play with.

This is absolutely the right thing for us to be doing!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We aren't going to win anything in the next couple of years, and by the time we do win, Lou would have either been too old or he would have left on his own accord, like Pau did, and leave us with nothing.

In the meantime, we are building up our draft picks which is going to lead to redundant talent and some really good solid players we can trade.

Young studs with upside have value in this league. We will make trades, but we need the bodies to make the trades and we don't want to trade away all our young guys and have nobody left for the new players we trade for to play with.

Huh? What studs? What upside? I've been told that our roster is trash and we don't have any studs. That we've been twiddling our thumbs for four years? 4 straight years of no playoffs, etc. When'd the narrative flip to -- "We have young studs, let's be patient with the process."
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Huh? What studs? What upside? I've been told that our roster is trash and we don't have any studs. That we've been twiddling our thumbs for four years? 4 straight years of no playoffs, etc. When'd the narrative flip to -- "We have young studs, let's be patient with the process."

fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject:

Only in this dynamic is Pelinka getting a GM not the top story. Only on this board is the new GM the 3rd hottest topic behind Magic's promotion and the worth of Corey Brewer.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If we get two more high lottery picks, that we give us Ingram, DLO, Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Zubac plus the two, maybe even 3 more young guys of this quality. 7-8 bodies. We could THEN bundle up to 4 of them in a couple of trades and land two solid vets. Leaving us with our 4 best of the bunch and a two solid vets. I think we would win alot of games then.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The moment the new bosses became responsible.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
tox wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If we get two more high lottery picks, that we give us Ingram, DLO, Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Zubac plus the two, maybe even 3 more young guys of this quality. 7-8 bodies. We could THEN bundle up to 4 of them in a couple of trades and land two solid vets. Leaving us with our 4 best of the bunch and a two solid vets. I think we would win alot of games then.

Let me get this straight. You're telling me that you want to continue to lose and get high lottery picks until 2019? So at a point in time where the Mozgov and Luol Deng contracts are nigh irrelevant because they're expiring anyways?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Wino wrote:
tox wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Let me get this straight. You're telling me that you want to continue to lose and get high lottery picks until 2019? So at a point in time where the Mozgov and Luol Deng contracts are nigh irrelevant because they're expiring anyways?

Dude, are you really this thick??

We get two of them this year and the other one is tied into us getting our draft pick this year, if we lose this years, we lose 2018's too. If we keep this one, we keep 2018. So we have two first round draft picks depending on what happens in the next couple of months. On top of that, we just picked up another from Houston, so we have 3 first round draft picks between now and 2018, if we don't screw it up. So, we won't need to tank after this year at all, we can start rebuilding in earnest next year. But for now, we need to suck.

This is simple stuff guys, come on!
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:

Dude, are you really this thick??

We get two of them this year and the other one is tied into us getting our draft pick this year, if we lose this years, we lose 2018's too. If we keep this one, we keep 2018. So we have two first round draft picks depending on what happens in the next couple of months. On top of that, we just picked up another from Houston, so we have 3 first round draft picks between now and 2018, if we don't screw it up. So, we won't need to tank after this year at all, we can start rebuilding in earnest next year. But for now, we need to suck.

This is simple stuff guys, come on!

Quote:
high lottery picks

Actually, what's simple is understanding that the Houston pick or whichever the hell you are talking about is not a high lottery pick. There is no way for us to get "two high lottery picks" unless we tanked in 2019. I'm sorry for assuming you knew what you were talking about.

In fact, there are so many inaccuracies in your post I don't know where to begin.
-As I said, the only way to get 2 high lottery picks is to tank in 2019, if we get lucky and keep our 2017 pick.
-We have two picks this year, period. Either our own 1st round pick (the only lottery in 2017) or our 2nd round pick. Not both. Then the Houston pick. That makes 2.
-If we keep this one, we keep 2019's 1st round pick not 2018's
-We don't have 3 1st round picks through 2018. We are guaranteed to have 2 1st round picks by 2018. 1 of ours, 1 of Houston's.

But yeah, simple stuff man.
Jakanzi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Enjoyed this tweet from earlier in the day on the Magic/Jeanie interview: "The way Magic just praised virtually every Lakers player, you wonder why the architects of this powerhouse had to be fired."
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject:

Jakanzi wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Enjoyed this tweet from earlier in the day on the Magic/Jeanie interview: "The way Magic just praised virtually every Lakers player, you wonder why the architects of this powerhouse had to be fired."
It's called "salestalk"
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Self set deadlines are funny things.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Only in this dynamic is Pelinka getting a GM not the top story. Only on this board is the new GM the 3rd hottest topic behind Magic's promotion and the worth of Corey Brewer.

Yeah I don't feel like we're talking enough about him. Pelinka is a huuuuuuge deal. I want him making decisions and not Magic as soon as freakin' possible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: