How will the Lakers Get rid of Mozgov and Deng
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

There's no need. They aren't preventing us from signing free agents currently. They're reasonably productive bench players despite their starter level pay rates. If we need the cap space for some reason we'll stretch one of them. Probably Mozgov.

The longer you leave them on the roster, the easier they will be to either trade or stretch.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Wth were they thinking ? Who calls mosgov at the stroke of midnight to beg him to sign? Mitch asked for his firing with that bs!!
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Some good analysts think Deng has value as a PF...he cannot play SF anymore. We are forced to play him at SF as we did not have anyone that is a good SF...but we have 2 good options at PF: Randle and Nance. We would have to take a bad (but much shorter) contract like Brewer but I think he is movable.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
Some good analysts think Deng has value as a PF...he cannot play SF anymore. We are forced to play him at SF as we did not have anyone that is a good SF...but we have 2 good options at PF: Randle and Nance. We would have to take a bad (but much shorter) contract like Brewer but I think he is movable.

Same thing with Mozgov...we would have to trade him and get back a bad but smaller contract like Asik or Plumlee.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject:

We will probably trade them for second round picks which is what LG would want so then we can fully have the under 21 team that people expect to compete. LOL
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Got to at least dump one
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Dump moz and all will be good.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Stretch MOZ (saves 10m over next 3 years)

Just keep Deng.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Still can't believe how I and others were patronized for calling out how horrible these signings were. I was told to be patient and by the allstar break their production would improve. Well currently Mozgov can barely see the court, and Deng looks completely finished. 4 years and 136 million Can't believe the mental gymnastics that were used to defend these deals. I was also a supporter of Jim/Mitch but didn't allow that to cloud my judgement. I just wish the same patience and benefit of doubt will be given to the new regime. It remains to be seen how they will run our team, but I'll be cautiously optimistic. These two contracts were terrible and indefensible, somebody had to be held accountable.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

I dunno. There is no magic wand.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
Still can't believe how I and others were patronized for calling out how horrible these signings were. I was told to be patient and by the allstar break their production would improve. Well currently Mozgov can barely see the court, and Deng looks completely finished. 4 years and 136 million Can't believe the mental gymnastics that were used to defend these deals. I was also a supporter of Jim/Mitch but didn't allow that to cloud my judgement. I just wish the same patience and benefit of doubt will be given to the new regime. It remains to be seen how they will run our team, but I'll be cautiously optimistic. These two contracts were terrible and indefensible, somebody had to be held accountable.

Well said. The MozDeng contracts were the icing on the cake.
clockwork247
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject:

probably trade away randle and play deng at PF, deng is not a good SF anymore and an above average PF... I just don't see randle as a star in the league, he's the same guy, i haven't seen improvements.... Nance IMO can be an important piece on a great team, he doesn't need the ball to be effective.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:

Well said. The MozDeng contracts were the icing on the cake.

+1. Obvious is obvious. And not in an "I told you so" way, more like a "these deals were rotten and I can't help but mentally jump off a cliff whenever I think about them" way.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

Shaolin's Finest wrote:

Deng seemed like one of the mistakes that the FO has tended to make. Getting a guy they've wanted for a while a bit too late and for a bit too much.

Mozgov, Luke actively campaigned for - Luke Walton: "I was huge on pushing to try to get Mozgov and I’m thrilled that we were able to get that done.”

This is what no less than Zach Lowe was writing about him the previous season even after his knee surgery:
"Mozgov is an unrestricted free agent after this season, and he’s going to cost a ton — perhaps up to the max. Mozgov revived the Cavs last season, and he’s a perfect front-court partner for the LeBron-Love star tandem — a legit center who can screen for LeBron while Love spaces the floor and works the elbows, destroy the boards, and barricade the rim on defense."

After Noah went first at that ridiculous price, you can sort of see what lead them to the Mozgov offer. I didn't like either move, but there was more that went into it than 'Jim is an idiot'.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

People that complain about Moz and Deng I wonder what they'd be saying about Mahimi and Turner right about now...
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:

I would like to see Deng at the 4. I think he could give us production similar to LO there, with less rebounding of course. Moz has got to go at all costs.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
People that complain about Moz and Deng I wonder what they'd be saying about Mahimi and Turner right about now...

If the asking price was 4 years for Mozgov/Deng etc, the proper move would be moving on to whoever was next on the list that would be obtainable on short term deal.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Yeah, because the front office had a gun put to their head this summer, mandating that they must waste 4 years 136 million dollars right?
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
MJST wrote:

If the asking price was 4 years for Mozgov/Deng etc, the proper move would be moving on to whoever was next on the list that would be obtainable on short term deal.

I mean if they dropped below the minimum that means they just pay their players more rigth? I think if nobody wants a shot term deal that option was still more palatable than dengov
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yeah, because the front office had a gun put to their head this summer, mandating that they must waste 4 years 136 million dollars right?

Well, it's hard to deny that they didn't have a gun put to their head.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
MJST wrote:

I mean if they dropped below the minimum that means they just pay their players more rigth? I think if nobody wants a shot term deal that option was still more palatable than dengov

That & be a team other teams could dump salary on for assets in return like how we did we Calderon. To MJST point, we did need a vet SF & C.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Ok. But what a the worse that could happen. Ingram plays more SF and nance black randle and zubac have to figure out how to man the 4 and the 5? It's not that bad.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Looks like the Lakers plan is to try and trade for a star in the interim, and swing their cap room shot in 2018. I'm guessing they will be looking to package one or both guys in a deal if possible, with the fallback position that if necessary in 2018 they can stretch either or both.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:

Deng seemed like one of the mistakes that the FO has tended to make. Getting a guy they've wanted for a while a bit too late and for a bit too much.

Mozgov, Luke actively campaigned for - Luke Walton: "I was huge on pushing to try to get Mozgov and I’m thrilled that we were able to get that done.”

This is what no less than Zach Lowe was writing about him the previous season even after his knee surgery:
"Mozgov is an unrestricted free agent after this season, and he’s going to cost a ton — perhaps up to the max. Mozgov revived the Cavs last season, and he’s a perfect front-court partner for the LeBron-Love star tandem — a legit center who can screen for LeBron while Love spaces the floor and works the elbows, destroy the boards, and barricade the rim on defense."

After Noah went first at that ridiculous price, you can sort of see what lead them to the Mozgov offer. I didn't like either move, but there was more that went into it than 'Jim is an idiot'.

I kinda get that mentality. Except that it was more like I told everybody who would listen that it would take 3 years. And I'm gonna get it done with one. I can't reallly see why somebody with the expectation of a rebuild would shoot themselves in the foot like that otherwise.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
Ok. But what a the worse that could happen. Ingram plays more SF and nance black randle and zubac have to figure out how to man the 4 and the 5? It's not that bad.

Ingram and Zubac have been among our worst players by on/off net rating this season. Their playing time hurt us, even though it was necessary for their development.

They weren't think of the worst that could happen, but the best that could happen. That the roster is healthy for the season and the team continues to win at a 30-40 win pace (remember how high even the national media was at the start of the season), maybe sneaking into the 8th spot and then perhaps saving the FO's jobs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: