Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I appreciate Milo in the sense that he inspires people to show how much they're really committed (or not committed) to the idea of free speech.

How so?

Mainly referring to how people try to repel him from speaking at college campuses, and I've seen people bring up the whole banning hate speech rhetoric around him too.

OK, I got you. Personally, I'd fight for the right of nazis to speak their minds every bit as hard as I'd fight them on implementing any of their ideas. I also think universities should bring in speakers who challenge and yes, even shock students with their ideas and thoughts. That's a very important part of learning to think and communicate.

That said, I wouldn't bring in a guy like milo simply because he's been quite transparent about the fact that more than any ideas, the idea of being a troll and inciter and a celebrity for that is what motivates him. Just as I wouldn't invite kellyanne onto news show because I know I would get no legit substance, I wouldn't invite a guy who isn't there to make an argument but rather looking to pick a fight.

I think that's kind of why people like him are a good barometer for the masses though, and maybe they'll learn the lesson that the best way to "protest" people like him is to just ignore him completely, not try to force him off of speaking platforms.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I think that's kind of why people like him are a good barometer for the masses though, and maybe they'll learn the lesson that the best way to "protest" people like him is to just ignore him completely, not try to force him off of speaking platforms.

I disagree. I think the best way to approach people like him is to let him talk and then confront him. Giving him a public forum without any dissent isn't helpful, but public debate is. The only debate the public loses is the one it never attends.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

This guy found a way to troll people that label themselves red and blue and never had much substance. Well played but we won't miss ya.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Yiannopukeulous isn't even remotely an advocate of free speech. He's a disgusting blow hard who mistakenly thinks that everyone is obligated to provide him a platform to spew his vile, hate-filled trolling and clearly doesn't understand what the first amendment is all about (along with others apparently).

The First Amendment is a provision that precludes the government from silencing citizens via legal action. The First Amendment does not guarantee you an unimpeded voice in any venue you choose.

To say Milo is an example of someone standing up for "free speech" completely misunderstands what the concept is all about and blatantly ignores what he espouses. The miserable POS claims his free speech is being impinged in the same breath he shouts down the voice of those he hates.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I disagree. I think the best way to approach people like him is to let him talk and then confront him. Giving him a public forum without any dissent isn't helpful, but public debate is. The only debate the public loses is the one it never attends.

I don't think so, I think it has the similar effect of how movies that get protested end up doing better because it peaks people's interest. His stock and exposure totally went up after the Berkeley riots.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: